Maxwell Render and Daz

BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

Hello.

I have been reading about Maxwell Render and I would like to know if it will work with DS 4 and DS 4.5
Thanks.
R

Comments

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

Hello.

I have been reading about Maxwell Render and I would like to know if it will work with DS 4 and DS 4.5
    Thanks.
    R

It appears that Maxwell creates their own plugins for external applications. You would have to contact them for plugin support to DAZ Studio.

• Half LifeHalf Life Posts: 479
    edited December 1969

I use Maxwell and DAZ Studio and have tried to use them together -- here is a WIP thread showing some of my experiments towards this goal (warning nudity): http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=38386

In the absence of a dedicated plugin, you have to export the scene in another format and import that into Maxwell Studio -- this is really only working in OBJ format (FBX and Collada both have issues, though I'm not sure if this is a Maxwell problem, DAZ problem, or both). The problem here is that OBJ does not seem to keep custom triangle groups -- which is most often seen as the ears getting the wrong texturing... so you have to manually reassign the triangle groups in Maxwell Studio (not much fun).

That said, after a few days of playing with it I was able to get respectable results from my tests -- but honestly I haven't bothered for a while since it is too much of a hassle.

My advice is to request the people @ Maxwell to create a plugin for DAZ Studio... I for one would welcome that as well.

• edited December 1969

Half Life said:
    I use Maxwell and DAZ Studio and have tried to use them together --

My advice is to request the people @ Maxwell to create a plugin for DAZ Studio... I for one would welcome that as well.

Half-Life - I would also welcome a Daz plugin for Maxwell. However, I haven't seen much traction over at their boards (besides your postings). You think there is a chance?

edited December 1969

Next Limit likes to play things close to the vest with things like this, so you can never tell -- but it never hurts to create a request thread. They do read the requests and they are often implemented in the future.

I like to think I could be an asset for them if they do create such a plugin, since I can teach about how to use it (much like I do for the SketchUp plugin and the HDR Light Studio plugin) -- but they need to know other users would find this useful (or it might even bring new users to Maxwell, which is even better).

Regardless it all begins with request thread -- and I would definitely add my voice to that thread if somebody else starts one.

• eiliestleiliestl Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

I just tried to load my V4.2 model into Maxwell and it's blank ? All of her parts are listed in the objects tab. But she is gone ,I don't understand....

edited December 1969

How did you export it from DAZ? The only method I've found that works correctly is OBJ -- FBX would be better but Maxwell Studio has some real problems with that format for some reason.

See the attached image for the details of how I set my OBJ export.

obj_settings.jpg
    480 x 519 - 47K