Question - M4 to M5 texture converting (Re-used for Shader&Surfaceing; Questions)

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Do it one at a time, and it works like a charm! I'm ecstatic! lol

edited December 1969

Okay... I'll back track just a little, there is still a bit of issue with fragments and occasional warping... The face concerted perfectly! but the back of the head... Not so good.. I will need to review the tutorial some more, there must be something I've done wrong.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yeah Zev0 mentioned that some seams may need adjusting manually.

edited December 1969

I see now... that's what it is. I just loaded it in photoshop with a cut out texture and It's not as bad as I thought. Minor tweaking on the seams and it'll be fine! :)

Cheers :)

edited December 1969

Good to hear Spyro.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Either way it beats warping in photoshop..you loose texture quality that way.. Glad It works for you:). It is a real time saver..

edited December 1969

Definitely! Thanks for your help! :cheese:

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

anytime...:)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    @Serene

Both HSS an US2 are the best shaders to use on your characters! I have not turned back ever since I first gave them a go! And you can use them on ANYTHING!

I admit total ignorance, as I haven't used these successfully yet. But if you like them Spyro, then I'm sure I will too... I will see if I can find a tutorial somewhere. Thanks for the rec.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited November 2012

Spyro said:
    @Serene

Both HSS an US2 are the best shaders to use on your characters! I have not turned back ever since I first gave them a go! And you can use them on ANYTHING!

I admit total ignorance, as I haven't used these successfully yet. But if you like them Spyro, then I'm sure I will too... I will see if I can find a tutorial somewhere. Thanks for the rec.

SereneNight, I found this tutorial by RawArt helpful in understanding what it is that HSS/Ubersurface2 actually do, at least in regard to humanoid textures. Pay attention as well to the comment thread, there's a lot of useful discussion in there. (HSS/Elite HSS is a subset of Ubersurface, by the by.) The tutorial specifically addresses subsurface scattering, but the comments thread helps broaden that into a discussion of other aspects that the shader works with.

It's also helpful, after you've looked at that, to look at a texture that uses HSS/Ubersurface to see exactly what's happening. You can even save those settings as Shader Presets (once you remove the textures from a surface section) to use on similar textures as a starting point.

Also, Alanscape was looking at some aspects of Ubersurface in his Art Studio thread here in the forum.

(With regard to hair and other surfaces, I tend to use HSS/Ubersurface primarily to make those surfaces invisible to UberEnvironment, so that my renders don't take forever. That's not their only, or even primary, intended use for those surfaces, however.)

Hope this is useful information.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

Good HSS or UberSurfaces tutorails are hard to come by well ones with correct info that is.

I have been meaning to do one myself but haven't managed to find the time.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    Spyro said:
    @Serene

SereneNight, I found this tutorial by RawArt helpful in understanding what it is that HSS/Ubersurface2 actually do, at least in regard to humanoid textures. Pay attention as well to the comment thread, there's a lot of useful discussion in there. (HSS/Elite HSS is a subset of Ubersurface, by the by.) The tutorial specifically addresses subsurface scattering, but the comments thread helps broaden that into a discussion of other aspects that the shader works with.

It's also helpful, after you've looked at that, to look at a texture that uses HSS/Ubersurface to see exactly what's happening. You can even save those settings as Shader Presets (once you remove the textures from a surface section) to use on similar textures as a starting point.

Also, Alanscape was looking at some aspects of Ubersurface in his Art Studio thread here in the forum.

(With regard to hair and other surfaces, I tend to use HSS/Ubersurface primarily to make those surfaces invisible to UberEnvironment, so that my renders don't take forever. That's not their only, or even primary, intended use for those surfaces, however.)

Hope this is useful information.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to check these out. So much to learn how to do..... =-)

edited December 1969

These are great! Thanks Vwrangler! And thanks Serene for raising the question! This is very helpful! And it would be good to learn how to make my shader settings a preset too! I've just been copying and pasting between characters lol

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    These are great! Thanks Vwrangler! And thanks Serene for raising the question! This is very helpful! And it would be good to learn how to make my shader settings a preset too! I've just been copying and pasting between characters lol
    All I do is Save As a material preset and bob's your uncle. :)
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Spyro said:
    All I do is Save As a material preset and bob's your uncle. :)

And I have to remove all textures for the material preset to be generic, Is that correct?

edited December 1969

Yep and when Applling the Preset make sure you hold down CRTL and choose ignore. I left the SSS maps in and saved the preset according to what the uvmapping is. So I have one for M4, V4 etc

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

You can also save as a shder preset.

The thing I find with using Ubersurface2, is that I will alter my settings depending on the skin used, lighting and the effect I'm going for.

edited December 1969

I get ya! Thanks again guys! There's so much to learn! :)

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited November 2012

This item looks great. Does it come with a tutorial... Or... Instructions?

Interjection? There was quite a long thread back on the old forum, and ISTR a video tutorial, let me check...

It's here, and the embedded video tutorials are working: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=178114 It's definitely worth reading the full thread for the discussion of dealing with faces being too red.

(I notice there's also an add-on for the M5 and Hitomi UVs in the store: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/interjection-booster-shot-one )

Post edited by DWG on
    edited December 1969

So, (Just re-using my thread here)

I've been playing with SSS, and Translucency and bumps and Displacements... The list goes on...

My issue is strange to me. And none of my textures are causing it.

I'm using Interjection SSS mats, with all my custom made textures and shader settings (HSS) What is happening is that when I render the character , no matter how high the quality settings, I am getting weird lines appearing on Genesis legs and arms (mostly) when I use SSS. I have no idea why it's happening and have never seen anything like this occur.

Is there something I've classically done wrong? How can I fix it?

StandTest.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 94K
    edited December 1969

Wierd never seen that before...what is your Shading Rate set to in the Advanced Render Settings Pane?

edited December 1969

Attached is my current render settings, this is higher than I would normally go for test renders. At lower settings without the SSS there is no issue. - Also attached is my SSS material settings, used on all the skin, with no differences between body parts.

SSS_Settings.jpg
    263 x 593 - 99K
    Current_Render_Settings.jpg
    389 x 462 - 91K
    edited December 1969

I followed Raw Arts tutorial, and apart from this weird lines appearing, the results are impressive.

edited December 1969

0.50 is is a little to high when using UberSurface and the like...I would drop it down to 0.20 to start with and see if the lines go away.

At lower settings without the SSS there is no issue
    Have you tried lower settings with SSS on?
    edited December 1969

Yes I started with lower settings (Just the default Daz quality 4 settings) And pretty much identical results to my posted higher quality settings.

I just re started daz, it not fix it.

I also did two renders with my current settings... 1 identical size and quality to the posted render, it has the lines just the same. The second, I rendered with same settings except I doubled the render size. It has substantially reduced the weird lines... But I really cant always render super big, and my character cant always be perfectly close to the camera, so it remains quite an issue.

High_SSS_Test.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 321K
    Low_SSS_Test.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 95K
    edited December 1969

What's weirder is that i'm so far the only one who has this issue. Many people use SSS. Odd that no-one has raised the issue before me.

edited November 2012

This render is at shading rate of 0.20. Other than a crisper and better quality render, the strange lines haven't reduced at all :(

Low_SSS_Test_020.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 95K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Strange that it is happening to the legs only.

Can I ask are all the Skin surfaces all the same SSS Group...as I noticed the Arms you set to Group 3.

Also what lights are you using?

edited November 2012

Quickly checked... All the skin zones are the same "group 3" SSS Should they be different groups?

I'm using Lantios Lights Adjustments to shadow blur around 4-6%. All use Deep shadow maps. Specular light reduced to 30% Intensity as well as the environment bubble thing is greatly reduced in intensity. Do you think Deep Shadow maps cause bad things to happen when SSS is being used??? - The only issue I have with raytrace lights is that the blur of shadows is very hard to achieve, I keep getting very crisp shadows no matter how high the blur is set.

BTW - I use Ds 4.5 Pro (Version 4.5.1.6)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Set all lights to ray trace... Unfortunately, I have the same problem :( So I assume it's not the lights causing it.