Prop modeling

VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I made a prop in Wings and exported to DS3A (yeah, I know talk about old). I had to adjust the scale because it loads huge, but when I export and re-import, it's huge again. It's no different in Carrara 8 Pro.

Is there a way to save my scale settings to the .obj?

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I made a prop in Wings and exported to DS3A (yeah, I know talk about old). I had to adjust the scale because it loads huge, but when I export and re-import, it's huge again. It's no different in Carrara 8 Pro.

Is there a way to save my scale settings to the .obj?

What setting are you importing it in at to DS3A? I would play with the different settings. The Poser scale is quite small but if you use DS scale it comes in larger...you can even set your own custom scale if you wish.
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Once you SCALE the object file in DS you should EXPORT the Object from DS with the Default DS Setting in the options and Size set to 100%. Do not Over write your original file you might need other settings depending on UV maps and Morphs to get it to load 100%.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2012

If you 'import' the OBJ at a scale, DS will always recognize it as the scale you imported it. Saving to PP2 file seals the deal with props and is well worth doing.

EG. I import a sword OBJ to DS at 90%, DS will now recognize it at the 90% scale. (90% Scale will be the default at 100% according to daz, it IS 90% scale of the OBJ)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to mention in case you missed it...when you import at the bottom of the dialogue box(if closed) is a show options button.

Clicking this will allow you to play with the scale settings.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I had a NOOB momednt when I hit that and discovered I was importing on the BRYCE setting. Oops! But anything I import from Wings seems to be big, but i sort of have it figured out.

edited December 1969

I had a NOOB momednt when I hit that and discovered I was importing on the BRYCE setting. Oops! But anything I import from Wings seems to be big, but i sort of have it figured out.
    Try the poser scale as that is quite small...glad if I helped!
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited November 2012

Try the Blender or modo presets - a quick Google suggests that Wings uses the metre as its basic unit, so if you model to actual size that should work.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on