WINDOWS 8 ?

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited October 2012

From what I remember about Win 8, they've planned to limit some external downloads that don't go through the Windows build-in store. How the final release is about that? Does build-in store exist? Can you disable it entirely? Can you opt out of cloud? Can you use Win8 with no internet connection? Can you install and play your games from non-MS DVDs? Non-MS store? Use non-MS external hardware or software made by other, competing companies?

Also, everything that puts in front shiny pictures in harm of functionality isn't actually user-friendly, it is dumbed down, as it takes away essential tools.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

OK, so I took the plunge and installed Windows-8 over my Windows-7.

Summary.....

A) It boots up, shuts down and loads programs generally faster than 7 did.
    Unfortunately, when you add in the time that it now takes for me to put in a password each time it boots up, it eats up the time savings.
    Still, the programs do load faster.

B) All of my peripheral devices (except for the DVI monitor, all of them connected via USB) and programs are working just fine.

C) I do still use my desktop for most of what I do and I've tweaked it to put the shutdown button back onto that.
    As such, I might eventually use one of the many (so far, I've found five that seem OK) start menu replacements

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

George, does it force you to create a logon and password?? I know in Win 7 your presented with the option to do so but I just bypass that since I'm the only one using my machine at home!

• GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, yes. It does.

I've always skipped that in the past my not assigning a password but that no longer seems to be an option.

The first thing that happens is a default screen (one of five that came win Win-8 but I suppose that you can assign anything to it), and there it will sit until you click something (usually the Enter button).

Next comes the logon screen where I type in my password, thus validating all of Win-8's Metro tiles and syncing them with the rest of the world.

After that (assuming that you haven't added in a desktop replacement to go directly the desktop), you go to your Win-8 start menu.

I suppose that someone will eventually find a way to shorten all of this or maybe Microsoft will yield to public appeal with a SP1 but until then it's workable.

edited December 1969

Hmm, OK.. I guess that's smart in it's way. I do have Facebook, Twitter and GMail and if it's going to log on to those for me... I guess ONE password is fine for all that. LOL How hard is it to get to a more Win 7 looking desktop in your opinion? Too fidgety or pretty easy?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited November 2012

RAMWolff said:
    Hmm, OK.. I guess that's smart in it's way. I do have Facebook, Twitter and GMail and if it's going to log on to those for me... I guess ONE password is fine for all that. LOL How hard is it to get to a more Win 7 looking desktop in your opinion? Too fidgety or pretty easy?

The desktop itself is almost identical to Win7. It doesn't support "Gadgets" anymore though.

I'd earlier bitched about not having a "START" button. Now I'm placated a little bit. If you can avoid the temptation to click on the leftmost icon in the taskbar and continue your cursor right down into the lower left corner you get a popup that when tapped ("tap" is apparently new synonym for "click") will take you to the START page (aka: "Metro Interface" or after backing down from legal threats, now known as "Modern UI") which is essentially a giant START menu with search capability and live tiles. Yeah, it's a visual cacophony but it's purpose is essentially the same as the START menu was. Plus you can easily re-arrange and/or group various icons simply by dragging or right-clicking an icon to get more options on how it should be displayed.

One thing that still bugs me is that moving your cursor into one of the four screen corners is context dependent. i.e. the corners do different things on the START page than they do on the DESKTOP page. In my opinion, the four corners should have some indication that they are functional. Perhaps a small translucent square or triangle?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

NO GADGETS? I use those all the time! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 568
    edited December 1969

I have been wondering how DS works with Windows 8. I'm glad to hear it does. For now, I've decided to stick with Windows 7 until I have to buy a whole new computer. At that time, I'll get a touch screen monitor or two to go with it. Right now, I'm all about Android and Google's Nexus line. My first smartphone was a Nexus One; then I got the Galaxy Nexus. This month, I'm going to buy the Nexus 10, my first 10" tablet! :)

edited December 1969

Love my Samsung Galaxy 10 Tablet. Great screen, fast and efficient.

edited November 2012

RAMWolff said:
    NO GADGETS? I use those all the time! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Some peoplel don't like them but I do. I use the Norton gadget, the Calendar, the Clock, and two Temperature gadgets (myself in NY and my stepmother in Florida).

After I upgraded Norton InternetSecurity to the latest version it no longer provided the Norton gadget even in Win7. I Googled it and discovered that it was abandoned because Win8 wouldn't be supporting gadgets. :-(

However, Win8 does have "Live Tiles" that serve the same purpose, but they're on the START page not the Desktop. :-(

edited December 1969

I hope someone is able to hack the code and write that code in as new layer ... kinda like some of those desktop enhancement apps out there. This is really not cool! Why would MS abandon this nifty and useful extra? Yea, I don't plan on spending allot of time on the Start page! lol

edited December 1969

This may satisfy a few folks:

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp

Start8 for Windows 8:

"We put the "Start" menu back in Windows 8. We accurately recreated the most used desktop feature billions of users depend on every day and packed it with additional functionality."

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Desktop programs works the same way as it was before and there are not much change to it and the workflow I was talking about win8 APPs finding a little cross and click it right on a screen is not simple with touch screen , so throwing it out is the fastest way in this case and I am used to do that on my tablet so for me nothing new ... I just like to touch and btw I never used mous in my entire live .. it is all personal choice , important what is best for you as nothing in this world can be good to everyone ...
    I remember when I said that I would NEVER purchase a tablet , until I did from curiosity and got hooked up I just love so much tech gadgets and go with the flow .
    However not always , I stopped using Poser after ver.8 until 2012 , I hate the changes in the interface until today , including the stupid library but have no choice and have to use it , I like programs I am working in to be simple and I am not fan of the Poser tabs or DS tabs either , and what make me like win8 is that I can throw it away if I don;t need it and get it outta my way and go back to it with a simple touch .. keeping my workspace clean if I need it , reducing also the memory of my vid card
    also I love the search with one click I have all files I looking for or are that DAZ installers or Read me or renders as the files are pretty good organized by itself automatic , for example I look for files associated with DAZ3D, boom everything is there in a sec ..
    They did it so easy even blind can find a file and send it

So what do things look like if you use desktop programs? I look at that search image you displayed and it looks to me like the functionality of what I can already do in Win7 by pressing the Windows key and then typing my search, except in a less useful visual format. Why would I want to waste space with an icon next to every result, most of which are the same anyway, when I can see the text is being truncated?

I know I'm an extremely non-visual person, but for me parsing words is an order of magnitude faster than parsing icons. I know I have peripheral neuropathy and a susceptibility to repetitive-stress-injuries, but for me, unless it's something that's truly more efficient to do graphically, menus and arrow keys are far easier and faster.

I never use a mouse myself if I can avoid it, I prefer touchpads, but I use them as little as possible if something can be done with a keyboard. If it requires fast movement to a distant part of the screen, a touchpad is useful, but I hate precise placement using any such device, above all with a mouse.

I had an android phone for about 3 weeks. Give me a keyboard any day.

[Edited to correct typos (using arrow keys to get to the right place, not my touchpad)]

I'm kinda like you - We used to draw pictures on cave walls to communicate - but we've been using this thing called an alphabet for a long time now. Written language was a big step up for mankind - now we're goin back to pictographs? Give me menus and keyboards - I like reading words...

edited November 2012

RAMWolff said:
    I hope someone is able to hack the code and write that code in as new layer ... kinda like some of those desktop enhancement apps out there. This is really not cool! Why would MS abandon this nifty and useful extra? Yea, I don't plan on spending allot of time on the Start page! lol

As I understand it, the problem with the gadgets was that they were too insecure. Third party gadgets had been causing security issues. Athough I don't know what extra safeguards have been employed with the new Win8 "Live Tiles". 8-s
    Perhaps their presence on the START page offers more barriers to their ability to penetrate?

Actually the whole problem with security is essentially the WEB! Go back to computing in an isolated locked freezer and most of the security problems go away! 8-Q

But even the cavemen may have had to post guards at the mouth of the sacred art cave to keep the hackers out! At least the cavemen knew how to treat hackers. They'd probably hack them up and eat them. 8-o Sounds like a workable policy.

edited December 1969

LOL and ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww :P

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    Mouse to the top right of the screen
    move the mouse down the 'charms'

They're actually called that?

I hope you realised you just confirmed my worst fears, growing all through this thread, that everyone at Microsoft involved in the Win8 project is totally bonkers. This isn't an OS for a desktop PC where you install and run programs, it's a phone/tablet OS stuffed full of apps. I'm definitely giving this one a miss, let's see if MS come to their senses in time for Win9 development.

Actually that's been going on since win95 - "My Computer"... "Network Neighborhood"??!!? Who wrote this stuff - Mister Rodgers??

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

As I understand it, the problem with the gadgets was that they were too insecure. Third party gadgets had been causing security issues. Athough I don't know what extra safeguards have been employed with the new Win8 "Live Tiles". 8-s
    Perhaps their presence on the START page offers more barriers to their ability to penetrate?

Actually the whole problem with security is essentially the WEB! Go back to computing in an isolated locked freezer and most of the security problems go away! 8-Q

But even the cavemen may have had to post guards at the mouth of the sacred art cave to keep the hackers out! At least the cavemen knew how to treat hackers. They'd probably hack them up and eat them. 8-o Sounds like a workable policy.

Who are you trying to kid? This is MICROSOFT you're talking about. The place where security is left in the parking lot.

Kendall

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

I've always skipped that in the past my not assigning a password but that no longer seems to be an option.

The first thing that happens is a default screen (one of five that came win Win-8 but I suppose that you can assign anything to it), and there it will sit until you click something (usually the Enter button).

Next comes the logon screen where I type in my password, thus validating all of Win-8's Metro tiles and syncing them with the rest of the world.

After that (assuming that you haven't added in a desktop replacement to go directly the desktop), you go to your Win-8 start menu.

I suppose that someone will eventually find a way to shorten all of this or maybe Microsoft will yield to public appeal with a SP1 but until then it's workable.

And just how does this "sync with the rest of the world" work on a stand-alone computer?

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited November 2012

namffuak said:

And just how does this "sync with the rest of the world" work on a stand-alone computer?

You can log onto the computer with a local account similar to the windows 7 log on,
    you don't need to log in with a Microsoft account, it just means the windows 8 apps (applications) wont update your personal mail, news or weather information etc or update the info for those apps on the little square tiles on the start menu.
    A local account does not need a password to log onto the computer.
    you can swap between account types at any time.

Post edited by adzan on
  • tekuntekun Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

AutoLogin TIP for WIN 8

1. Windows key and type 'netplwiz' and it will bring up the Advanced User Accounts Control Panel.
    2. Uncheck the checkbox "User must enter a username and password to use this computer.", then click the "Apply" button.
    3. Once the Automatic Log On Window appears, set the username and password that will be use during the startup of Windows
    4. Reboot and watch it AutoLogin!

Note: This will work for both Local and Connected Accounts (in which case you type your Microsoft user account and password). Also works for Vista and 7.

Warning: Security wise this isn't a great idea especially if your computer can get into the hands of others you don't trust. So only do this if you are in a trusted environment.

Another benefit about a Connected Account, if properly hooked up to Skydrive, you will potentially have a mobile login, in other words, you log into your friend's computer, you'll boot to your desktop and have your experience, settings and files (and access to your Win8 Apps).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

I believe Metro apps run sandboxed, which should make them more secure. On the other hand, a tile is pretty useless as a click since you can see it only on the start screen or by making it share the screen with another app, which uses up your available visible apps as far as I know.

edited November 2012

I'm kinda like you - We used to draw pictures on cave walls to communicate - but we've been using this thing called an alphabet for a long time now. Written language was a big step up for mankind - now we're goin back to pictographs? Give me menus and keyboards - I like reading words...

Yep, and I hear that there is a wonderful new invention. It's a little box that you talk into and it instantly transcribes your speech into text and transmits it to a receiver that instantly translates it back into speech. This means that you don't even have to have a full keyboard anymore. It faithfully reproduces all languages, dialects and vocal mannerisms and even singing. It's called the "telephone". :-s

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Actually telephone doesn't transcribes speech into the text, it transmutes the speech into a pattern of electronic pulses, I believe. IP phones transmute them as data packages which, while might be technically a text, aren't a legible text.

edited December 1969

tekun said:
    AutoLogin TIP for WIN 8

1. Windows key and type 'netplwiz' and it will bring up the Advanced User Accounts Control Panel.
    2. Uncheck the checkbox "User must enter a username and password to use this computer.", then click the "Apply" button.
    3. Once the Automatic Log On Window appears, set the username and password that will be use during the startup of Windows
    4. Reboot and watch it AutoLogin!

Note: This will work for both Local and Connected Accounts (in which case you type your Microsoft user account and password). Also works for Vista and 7.

Warning: Security wise this isn't a great idea especially if your computer can get into the hands of others you don't trust. So only do this if you are in a trusted environment.

Another benefit about a Connected Account, if properly hooked up to Skydrive, you will potentially have a mobile login, in other words, you log into your friend's computer, you'll boot to your desktop and have your experience, settings and files (and access to your Win8 Apps).

Great info! Thanks so much!

Checked out Stardock a bit more and they do have a full Windows 8 experience ready to get. It's about the same amount of money I paid for my Win 8 upgrade I bought yesterday via Amazon.com. But if it gives me back my widgets I'm happy! lol

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    adzan said:

Other than my objections noted above and the inherent confusion with any new interface, I find that Win8 appears to work,... except HOW DO YOU LOG OFF or TURN THE DAMN THING OFF? Arghhhhhh....... :-(

Mouse to the top right of the screen
    move the mouse down the 'charms'
    click on Settings
    click on Power and select from the list

or

if you like to use the Keyboard press the - Windows Key + i - to open the settings charm panel then use the tab or arrow keys and enter key to scroll through and make selections

or

Press the - Windows Key + r - and type - shutdown -s -t 0 - then press enter to shut down
    or type - shutdown -r -t 0 - then press enter to restart

...a lot more clumsy than XP or WIn7.

I just go "Windows key" "u", "u" (or "s" if I want to go on standby, "r" if I want to restart). Much more "elegant".

One way to switch users, restart or shutdown is to use CTR-ALT-DEL. Boittom right has the power down button

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

I hated widgets. Too much drain on resources, especially since I got into 3D. Also, I have no idea why people b*tch about Windows so much. Windows 95 sucked (but technically, so did most computers compared to now), but I've never had major problems with the OS. Besides, if it was as bad as most people try to say, it wouldn't still be be, by far, the dominant OS worldwide. Because ain't no OS perfect.

edited November 2012

so so true. I only use 3 main widgets. A clock on the second monitor, A memory widget but that's from another company so maybe it will work on Win 8 and Control System which I just love, easy to shut down or reboot Windows with a lock on it so you don't accidentally click on any buttons. I see there is a link to their website, maybe they have some info on that.

WELL....

It seems that all the talk about gadgets NOT being enabled on Win 8 is not altogether true... http://addgadgets.com/faq/#g18

You will need to install this package in order for it to work: http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

If anyone needs the Upgrade Assistant I found the page link:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    It's all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC?

I've been following Win 8 and from what I can see, this is MS making a last desperate effort to get into the Samsung/Apple territory - ie phones, where they've failed miserably. MS must feel enraged seeing Samsung sell 1/3 of the phones on the planet and make a fortune. LOL.

Of course, all the media hype so far has been on MS Surface, so we don't hear much about the regular desktop side of Win 8. The problem is that for serious work, phones are tablets are crap, and MS don't seem to realise that. The reasoning goes 'Phones are trendy. We can make some money' True, but the world will continue to use desktops are laptops for 95% of everyday work, so if MS abandon those users, they won't be selling much. Already, most analysts are predicting that very few desktop users will upgrade to Win 8.

mac

Seems MS doesn't realize most money comes from the business sector, and from what I've heard/read, very few - if ANY! - will upgrade to Win8. Most likely they'll go for Win7 when they upgrade from WinXP. So, they trend is clear, they'll miss those the money-makers, while those used to tablets/phones will keep to their Android (Samsung)/Apple-stuff. I really do not understand this incredibly stupid move.