Recommendations for current/classic real-world or realistic fictional weapons/firearms sets?

joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm looking for current or classic real-world (modern or recent historical, dating back to World War II/1950's) weapons, or realistic fictional weapons of the type you'd see in spy movies/TV shows (classic, such as James Bond/Man from U.N.C.L.E., or modern-day) or war/thriller movies. For example, I'd love to find:

- the M-16/M-4 series
- the AK-47/AK-74 series
- Uzi or similar modern/recent classic submachine guns
- machine guns such as the M-60
- rocket-propelled grenades or antitank weapons such as the Soviet/Russian RPG series or the LAW/TOW
- pistols, modern or classic (e.g., Glock/Beretta for modern or Colt M1911/Luger/Walther P-38 for classic)
- attachments for pistols/rifles such as silencers, laser sights, grenade launchers, etc.

I'm having difficulty finding the kind of stuff I want in the Daz shop (or Renderosity); the great majority of weapons sets I've found so far seem to be fantasy/SF/steampunk. I do have the Firearm Set but it's really pretty bland and generic and I want to use more realistic weapons in my renders. Any ideas?

Comments

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited April 2014

has an extensive collection of well-modeled modern weapons. They aren't cheap, but if you sign up for their newsletter, they often offer a 30%-off (or better) coupon during the last few days of the month.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    I'm looking for current or classic real-world (modern or recent historical, dating back to World War II/1950's) weapons, or realistic fictional weapons of the type you'd see in spy movies/TV shows (classic, such as James Bond/Man from U.N.C.L.E., or modern-day) or war/thriller movies. For example, I'd love to find:

- the M-16/M-4 series
    - the AK-47/AK-74 series
    - Uzi or similar modern/recent classic submachine guns
    - machine guns such as the M-60
    - rocket-propelled grenades or antitank weapons such as the Soviet/Russian RPG series or the LAW/TOW
    - pistols, modern or classic (e.g., Glock/Beretta for modern or Colt M1911/Luger/Walther P-38 for classic)
    - attachments for pistols/rifles such as silencers, laser sights, grenade launchers, etc.

I'm having difficulty finding the kind of stuff I want in the Daz shop (or Renderosity); the great majority of weapons sets I've found so far seem to be fantasy/SF/steampunk. I do have the Firearm Set but it's really pretty bland and generic and I want to use more realistic weapons in my renders. Any ideas?

What you gonna do with all those weapons?? We're gonna keep an eye on you.... :)

• joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

That one's great. Does it work in Daz Studio? (I should have mentioned that, if I didn't before.)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It's quite an old model, he mentions Poser 4, so it isn't going to have any fancy node based textures, which is the main problem normally.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

OnTarget3D has some nice ones...both free and paid items.

http://www.ontarget3d.com/site/

Chris Schell has some nice items...but mostly 'big' stuff (ships, airfields...)

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=theschell

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    OnTarget3D has some nice ones...both free and paid items.

http://www.ontarget3d.com/site/

Chris Schell has some nice items...but mostly 'big' stuff (ships, airfields...)

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=theschell

Got a couple of items from OnTarget3D, including the "generic" special-ops weapon and the small-arms poses. I really want the four Assault Weapons sets, but they're rather expensive. :\

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

have you looked at the dystopia fire arms pack here at DAZ?

its currently free...

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dystopian-weapon-cache-1

edited December 1969

prixat said:
    have you looked at the dystopia fire arms pack here at DAZ?

its currently free...

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dystopian-weapon-cache-1

Yes, I have that already. It's a bit overly futuristic for my purposes though; as I said in the original message, I'm looking for current or recent classic (World War II or after) pistols, rifles and such.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

The Gun sets that Chohole pointed out work fine in DS, I think there are 4 packs now, but I only have the first because I too was looking for guns a while ago and only had a couple that came with outfits. I don't regret buying that set, and it's on sale at the mo.

edited December 1969

The Gun sets that Chohole pointed out work fine in DS, I think there are 4 packs now, but I only have the first because I too was looking for guns a while ago and only had a couple that came with outfits. I don't regret buying that set, and it's on sale at the mo.

OK. The first and possibly the third set seem to be the best fit to my needs; second and fourth have a more science-fictional air than what I'm looking for at the moment. I wish those Panko sets would go on sale; they're absolutely terrific. (From his bio at OnTarget3D, he comes by his knowledge first-hand, having been in the Greek Parachute Regiment!)

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

I found some more at:

http://www.adh3d.com/weapons.html

some WWII stuff

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited October 2012

The Gun sets that Chohole pointed out work fine in DS, I think there are 4 packs now.

I was JUST going to post about the other 3 sets, but you beat me to it. Just click the Editorial Tab on that product page as Mock linked thumbnails to sets 2, 3 and 4. Ooops, seems that set number 4 is no longer available. :long:

Nice find Cho, thanks for the link. ;-) I'm a firm believe you can never have too many weapons. :cheese:

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    The Gun sets that Chohole pointed out work fine in DS, I think there are 4 packs now.

I was JUST going to post about the other 3 sets, but you beat me to it. Just click the Editorial Tab on that product page as Mock linked thumbnails to sets 2, 3 and 4. Ooops, seems that set number 4 is no longer available. :long:

Nice find Cho, thanks for the link. ;-) I'm a firm believe you can never have too many weapons. :cheese:

:cheese: No operation ever failed because you were overpowered weapon-wise. Actually, right now I'm working on a series of swordfighting renders using a free rapier set I found on - I think - ShareCG. I spent six hours today working on a huge render (16 figures!) - well, I didn't have anything much to do because of Sandy - so that's how I spent my afternoon. The thing isn't ready for primetime yet, however; I need to address issues with pokethrough and hair arrangement, and also the pictures I did at the resolution I originally switched pixelized the backdrop something awful, so I have got to try lower resolutions until I get a good balance.

edited April 2014

Back to firearms - isn't there ANY good (and realistic, not science-fictional-looking) pistol set with silencer out there that's free or low-cost? I've found several free pistol models on ShareCG and elsewhere, but none of them appears to have a silencer or suppressor. (The Pistol A1 model on ShareCG doesn't really count for my purposes because, to my way of thinking at least, it doesn't look too much like a "real" moderrn or classic pistol. Yeah, I'm being picky. :P )

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

This thread inspired my Hexagon doodle tonight so I made a generic rifle. It was a lot of fun. It should look a lot better once I make some texture maps for it.

rifle_1.jpg
    1280 x 752 - 319K
    edited November 2012

I tweaked my rifle a little more. Here's the .obj file for the rifle if anyone wants it. Critiques welcome.

I think I might actually try building a real rifle next (I do so miss the FNC1-A1 from my days in the forces). Does anyone know if there are trademark issues concerning making 3D models of real world objects?

Link fixed so .obj file is available

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
    edited April 2014

I tweaked my rifle a little more. Here's the .obj file for the rifle if anyone wants it. Critiques welcome.

I think I might actually try building a real rifle next (I do so miss the FNC1-A1 from my days in the forces). Does anyone know if there are trademark issues concerning making 3D models of real world objects?

Link fixed so .obj file is available

As far as weapons go, I know that one site has a large number of real-world weapon models, with the nomenclature and everything, and there are some real-world military vehicle models in the Daz3D store (M1A2 Abrams, M2 Bradley and Hummer/Humvee/HMMWV). Automobile models tend to have fictional names, however, at least for Poser/Daz models; I've seen many 3DS Max models that are modeled after real-world cars, right down to the makes and model names.

edited December 1969

I always liked the fictionalized automobiles in Interstate 76. It was kind of fun to see how many you could match up to their real world counterpart.

edited December 1969

And speaking of fictional guns, guess what I found just now on ShareCG:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/62100/browse/5/3D-Model/Man-from-U.N.C.L.E.-P38-Special

This U.N.C.L.E. fan is very happy :D. Now if I can only find a model of the pen communicator and of the Thrush rifle...