Realistic Renders...NOT!! 11 "Hello Rogerbee!"

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Very nice,

A while back, I did some work with VSS and shaders that Bagginsbill had done, the results were impressive, but, they nearly bought my old laptop to it's knees. Even with more power in this one I'm still reluctant to push it again.

Below is V5 with textures from Blackhearted's newer GND4, he's great at skin, but the eyes are never as good, I used Dublin's instead.

CHEERS!

V5-GND.jpg
    588 x 600 - 36K
    edited October 2012

I just thought I'd post that VSS render, it's Mec4D's Byson. Impressive, yet very resource hungry.

CHEERS!

Tyson-VSS-Final.jpg
    588 x 600 - 34K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

I think VSS is better. even if there's still too much SSS. As for Vue, yeah I've also seen some impressive renders but I've got enough 3D tools to play with already. May be one day

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited October 2012

Rogerbee said:

Very nice,

A while back, I did some work with VSS and shaders that Bagginsbill had done, the results were impressive, but, they nearly bought my old laptop to it's knees. Even with more power in this one I'm still reluctant to push it again.

Below is V5 with textures from Blackhearted's newer GND4, he's great at skin, but the eyes are never as good, I used Dublin's instead.

CHEERS!

Poser scatter and blinn

Vshader.jpg
    1100 x 1156 - 185K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

I think VSS is better. even if there's still too much SSS. As for Vue, yeah I've also seen some impressive renders but I've got enough 3D tools to play with already. May be one day

When you work out fully how to use it, VSS is good. The main reason Vue got me interested was SkinVue, at the time, Reality didn't look like it was going to happen for Poser and I thought SkinVue was the next best thing. One day I'll have a play.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Rogerbee said:

Very nice,

CHEERS!

Poser scatter and blinn

Interesting shader you have there. One thing you no longer need is that Reflection Lite Mult box checked. That's a hangover from older versions of Poser that nobody got round to removing. The easiest way to deal with that is to download Snarlygribbly's Scene Fixer which will take it out of the whole scene and change things like texture filtering. Crisp is supposed to be the best setting.

Below is a blonde GND with different make-up.

CHEERS!

V5-GND-Blonde.jpg
    588 x 600 - 67K
    edited October 2012

Rogerbee said:
    ps1borg said:
    Rogerbee said:

Very nice,

CHEERS!

Poser scatter and blinn

Interesting shader you have there. One thing you no longer need is that Reflection Lite Mult box checked. That's a hangover from older versions of Poser that nobody got round to removing. The easiest way to deal with that is to download Snarlygribbly's Scene Fixer which will take it out of the whole scene and change things like texture filtering. Crisp is supposed to be the best setting.

Below is a blonde GND with different make-up.

CHEERS!

meh no reflect so didn't notice. Crisp setting is often too seamy for me :)

edited December 1969

Oh, right,

I think there's a script around that turns it off, I think off is supposed to be best.

CHEERS!

• ArkathanArkathan Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

So... I went to try out the Subtle Poses for V5... and - they're in the DS 4.5 format. Got's to upgrade. :-P

So one last render on DS 4... Tried it with just the Uberenvironment attached to a skysphere. Was going to add more lighting, but it crashed. Just as well I'm upgrading, I guess.

My usual postworking, hope that's allowed.

Beach_Area.jpg
    927 x 1199 - 89K
    edited December 1969

Looking good,

I went back through Caisson's tutorial:

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?70674-Lighting-amp-Rendering-in-Poser-Part-One&highlight=Caisson

only this time I paid attention. It turns out I'd never really been using the proper settings. I adjusted them all to what he described and they look much better. Thing is, when you save a default scene with the lights loaded and then reload it, there are certain settings that, for some reason, Poser doesn't retain when it starts up. I saved the lights themselves with all the correct settings and things were finally as I wanted them.

I've only done one new render, with PD's Ellis, the others are re-renders of previous ones.

CHEERS!

V5-GND-Blonde-New.jpg
    588 x 600 - 68K
    V5-GND-New.jpg
    588 x 600 - 37K
    V5-Ellis-01.jpg
    588 x 600 - 33K
    edited October 2012

These close-ups of Dublin impressed me. The eyes aren't quite so good, but I'm getting the IDL Lighting Rig set soon and it comes with some eye reflections that work really well with IDL. The texture detail is superb though.

CHEERS!

V5-Dublin-Close-Up-02.jpg
    588 x 600 - 34K
    V5-Dublin-Close-Up-01.jpg
    588 x 600 - 36K
  • kalazarkalazar Posts: 415
    edited December 1969

I'll sneak in here with a Reality Studio render. The Daz backdrop feature doesn't appear to work with Reality, so I'm trying a work around with IC3"s wall. It seems to work. Now to try learning lighting Signnnnnnn

reality_sceneSeaShim2_(1000_x_800).jpg
    1000 x 800 - 120K
    edited December 1969

Looking good,

I so hope the wait for the Poser version of Reality isn't too much of a long one.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kalazar said:
    I'll sneak in here with a Reality Studio render. The Daz backdrop feature doesn't appear to work with Reality, so I'm trying a work around with IC3"s wall. It seems to work. Now to try learning lighting Signnnnnnn

That's a happy smile :)

• kalazarkalazar Posts: 415
    edited December 1969

another stab at lighting. The lighting look VASTLY different in Daz then in Reality (the LuxRenderer)

reality_sceneDesertPrisioner2_(1000_x_800).jpg
    1000 x 800 - 221K
  • thomasbrandy287@yahoo.com[email protected] Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    These close-ups of Dublin impressed me. The eyes aren't quite so good, but I'm getting the IDL Lighting Rig set soon and it comes with some eye reflections that work really well with IDL. The texture detail is superb though.

CHEERS!

Looks like wax. The SSS in Poser has some serious problems with gray areas around the nose, the lips and the eyes.

edited November 2012

Depends what you're used to I suppose. I got IDL Studio 2 and the Lighting Rig and wasn't blown away. The first render was with IDL Studio 2 and the second with the Lighting Rig.

CHEERS!

V5_Dublin_Lighting_Rig.jpg
    588 x 600 - 146K
    V5_Dublin_IDLS2.jpg
    588 x 600 - 178K
    edited December 1969

Had chance to play with EZ Skin 2 today. I really like the results. Not sure I got the eyes right so I put the original ones back in. I think they look really good, the first is Shaw and the second one is from Mec4D's Beach Boy add-on for her Muchacho texture.

CHEERS!

M5_Beach_Boy_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 127K
    M5_Shaw_Scout_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 143K
    edited December 1969

I really enjoy EZSkin 2 now. It gives me results I like and doesn't add to the render times. I have to see what it can do to the old V4 Elite textures.

In the meantime here's my Shaw creature...

CHEERS!

M5_Creature_Shaw_Roar_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 134K
    edited December 1969

At last, I'm happy with Lana! Hard to believe she first came out in 2008!

CHEERS!

V5_Lana_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 126K
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited November 2012

The only time I've attempted a realistic render. Kinda old picture now. Turned out pretty Meh
    Not proud of it.... at all really
    Cherry coulda used more attention to texture, that was my fault i didn't use the default for some reason. I'm sure i had a good reason at the time.

I love looking at what people can do at the whole realistic thing but i don't think it's for me, i tend to go a different direction a lot of the time.

But i half-assed played around with the free daz studio to Luxrender plugin that came out quite some time ago. (it was a pretty nice plugin)
    Put together a quick mesh light set, did this picture, then something else with cookie, and then gave up. Just didn't hold my attention long enough.

cherry_lips_plain_jpg.jpg
    800 x 725 - 377K
    Post edited by DireBunny on
    edited December 1969

Yeah,

The trouble with most artists is that we're our own worst critics. Getting to something that we're happy with is often the toughest thing, but, once we are, well, it's still not good enough, as we always want to do better.

I really like your render and think it looks brilliant. Below is an oldie but goodie for me, Maelwenn's Vanessa was among the first 'realistic' textures I ever bought and I just gave it the EZ treatment...

CHEERS!

V5_Vanessa_EZ.jpg
    588 x 600 - 156K
    edited December 1969

The only time I've attempted a realistic render. Kinda old picture now. Turned out pretty Meh
    Not proud of it.... at all really
    Cherry coulda used more attention to texture, that was my fault i didn't use the default for some reason. I'm sure i had a good reason at the time.

I love looking at what people can do at the whole realistic thing but i don't think it's for me, i tend to go a different direction a lot of the time.

But i half-assed played around with the free daz studio to Luxrender plugin that came out quite some time ago. (it was a pretty nice plugin)
    Put together a quick mesh light set, did this picture, then something else with cookie, and then gave up. Just didn't hold my attention long enough.

The image works really well, something you might see in a magazine :)

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

At last, I'm happy with Lana! Hard to believe she first came out in 2008!

CHEERS!

One of the better textures getting around ahead of its time :)

edited December 1969

The early Elite textures were great, but ONLY if you had DS and the Elite Human Surface Shader, they were pants without it and were hell to light and render in Poser. I threw everything at Lana, she was responsible for my purchasing just about every light set going. I used EZ Skin 2 to get the render I did yesterday and while I like it there are other better textures around now that aren't so hard to work with if you don't have DS.

CHEERS!

edited November 2012

I used the texture a lot but heh looks like I never rendered an angle on the face - that I can find anyway. I don't really make pinups, not that I don't appreciate them but I don't have much of a feel for it, especially expressions. What I like about that particular texture -don't use the shader- is you can put it under hot lights and it doesn't develop a yellow cast straightaway, even in a predominately ochre-hued lighting setup.

OG115007.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 160K
    edited December 1969

Great render,

Elite, to me anyway, marked the start of the 'Here's something we can do that you can't..' school of thinking. It was never what I wanted it all to be about, I wanted co-existence and the ability to do great things no matter which platform you happened to use. At the end of the day we were all striving to create the same thing, which is great art.

Happily, things seem to be returning to that direction, with DSON and soon Reality, things will be back where they always ought to have been.

CHEERS!

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited November 2012

I almost always exclusively use texture by Rebelmommy, just something about them that really draws me and and screams buy/use me.

Lately however i have been using VH Lemon for Victoria 4.2

Except foe eyes. for the eyes i use Frostbite 's eyes from IgnisSerpentus

This is slightly old now (like a couple months or so) and I'm sure i posted it somewhere around here i don't remember but for reference anyway this was my first render with the VH Lemon texture. I fell in love with the texture as soon as i started playing around with it.
    done in d|s3a

One of these days I'd like to get poser, what I've seen looks pretty impressive. Probably wont happen any time soon though "lol".

Edit to add I did use Lana elite spec map though. not the default that came with the texture.

Last_Girl_standing.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 559K
    Post edited by DireBunny on
    edited December 1969

Real nice light and shade there and energetic, as if she brings light into dark. Wish the galleries were going again I wants to vote for it :)

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Great render,

Elite, to me anyway, marked the start of the 'Here's something we can do that you can't..' school of thinking. It was never what I wanted it all to be about, I wanted co-existence and the ability to do great things no matter which platform you happened to use. At the end of the day we were all striving to create the same thing, which is great art.

Happily, things seem to be returning to that direction, with DSON and soon Reality, things will be back where they always ought to have been.

CHEERS!

I confess I don't really understand using depth maps for scattering, I mean I get the process but for me scatter is a volumetric effect and I want to use it in a volumetric rather than a planar setup.

This discussion has been closed.