Question - M4 to M5 texture converting (Re-used for Shader&Surfaceing; Questions)

SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
edited November 2012 in The Commons

I've got heaps of really cool M4 textures, but I would like to convert them to M5 for use with M5 SSS/Translucency textures and to mix them in photoshop as I like to mix and match and make my own personal use creations.

Is there some sort of converter app to do this? Manually Warping and scaling to line everything up is a bit of a nightmare. And yes I am aware I can set different material zones to another UV set, but that doesn't help me.

Thanks for any help :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=convertor&x=0&y=0 I am not sure as I don't have these but I have read somewhere that these do work,,,,on what figure I have no idea sorry. Hopefully some who have the Texture converter series might be able to help further.

Post edited by Szark on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=convertor&x=0&y=0 I am not sure as I don't have these but I have read somewhere that these do work,,,,on what figure I have no idea sorry. Hopefully some who have the Texture converter series might be able to help further.

Those converters (Texture Converter in particular) work for Gen3 ->Gen 4, not for Gen4->Genesis
    edited December 1969

Thanks Kattey for the clarification

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Immediately I thought of these, but realized generation 5 was not supported :(

I wonder if generation 5 will be supported in a future release? There are sooooo many great gen 4 textures and so little gen 5 at this time. I'd hate to think all my collected gen 4 textures couldn't be converted. :(

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Hmm, I thought the whole point of having M4 UV set was so that M4 textures could be used with Genesis the same as V4. I just tested and saw that isn't the case. What is the purpose of M4 UV for Genesis in that case?

edited December 1969

It's great to change UV's IF you want to only use M4 or V4 or what ever... The issue is you cant use a M4 uv dif texture for eg on the face and have a M5 face bump map, it don't work, and that's half of my issues.

edited November 2012

Gedd all M4 and V4 texture will work on Genesis...but you have to go in to the Parameters Pane and set the Uvmap.

Spyro's issues is that he wants to use M5 SSS and Translucency maps with M4 texture maps.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Spyro I went and bought DT's Interjection for the SSS maps and I don't use Transluceny anymore, I just increase the SSS Strength.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,210
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    I've got heaps of really cool M4 textures, but I would like to convert them to M5 for use with M5 SSS/Translucency textures and to mix them in photoshop as I like to mix and match and make my own personal use creations.

Is there some sort of converter app to do this? Manually Warping and scaling to line everything up is a bit of a nightmare. And yes I am aware I can set different material zones to another UV set, but that doesn't help me.

If you compare the SSS maps for M5 to the Elite Spec Maps for M4, they are fairly similar. You could make your own versions by smudging, dodging and burning.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Gedd all M4 and V4 texture will work on Genesis...but you have to go in to the Parameters Pane and set the Uvmap.

Spyro's issues is that he wants to use M5 SSS and Translucency maps with M4 texture maps.

That's half of it... If it was possible to convert a M4 texture to M5 or vice versa... I would like to be able to mix them together in PS... for instance, I like some of the diff texture 'details', and M5's hair, but want to take them and use it on the M4 textures I love, which I have put alot of work into already.

edited December 1969

TimG said:
    Spyro said:

If you compare the SSS maps for M5 to the Elite Spec Maps for M4, they are fairly similar. You could make your own versions by smudging, dodging and burning.

That's true! I'm rather new to the SSS and the translucency thing. I quite like the idea that light behind the ears will reveal light through the ear like in the real world.

marble-ear-sss.jpg
    376 x 400 - 77K
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Spyro I went and bought DT's Interjection for the SSS maps and I don't use Transluceny anymore, I just increase the SSS Strength.

Is that item on Daz store ?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,038
    edited November 2012

You can convert M4 to M5 or any uv set loaded on Genesis. Daz has a tool to do this. Its called map transfer.

http://kaos3d.deviantart.com/journal/Daz-Studio-4-Map-Transfer-Mini-Tutorial-303888794

Just very small seam fixing is required. But most times it does a good job.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    You can convert M4 to M5 or any uv set loaded on Genesis. Daz has a tool to do this. Its called map transfer.

http://kaos3d.deviantart.com/journal/Daz-Studio-4-Map-Transfer-Mini-Tutorial-303888794

That was my next thing to suggest, thx Zev0
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Szark said:

Is that item on Daz store ?yep http://www.daz3d.com/shop/interjection-surface-injections-for-daz-studio

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:

Wow! I didnt know that feature even existed LOL! Thanks Zev!!

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Spyro said:
    Szark said:

Is that item on Daz store ?

yep http://www.daz3d.com/shop/interjection-surface-injections-for-daz-studio

WOW, why have I not got this already haha! Thanks Szark!! This looks great!

edited December 1969

My pleasure. But I didn't buy it for the presets just SSS maps as I feel the settings aren't quite right for my lighting prefering to set up HSS/UBS/2 from scratch.

You get 3 sets of SSS maps, weak, medium and strong. IMHO there are the best SSS maps I have seen. Even better than the ones that come with VueSkin.

edited November 2012

Thanks Szark! - I always use HSS with a formula I've refined over quite some time now, so I think I'm in the same boat. :)

I use UberSurface 2 when I want them to be wet or covered in dirt lol It's very useful. Good for non humans too!

edited December 1969

UberSurface 2 is my favourite tool. I am using it all the time now.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

This item looks great. Does it come with a tutorial... Or... Instructions?

edited December 1969

SereneNight are you refering to Interjection?

Not that I can see just a readme

But you really ought to know how to ise HSS (human Skin shader) or UberSurface that comes with Daz Studio or UberSurface 2 (a paid for product) so you can adjust as needed.

edited November 2012

@Serene

Both HSS an US2 are the best shaders to use on your characters! I have not turned back ever since I first gave them a go! And you can use them on ANYTHING!

edited December 1969

I'm getting rather disturbing results here... with the texture conversion...

I dont know what I'm doing wrong??

It's all smashed up and broken in all textures I did :(

M5DaveFace2M.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    edited November 2012

Do it one map at a time..That helped me..I did bump seperate and diffuse seperate for each group...when I did a batch job I got the same problem. Also make sure you follow the tutorial's settings..when I put in my own I got weird results lol.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Spyro try this vid instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAIoOjSSgjc

edited December 1969

Ye try that vid..its easier to understand. Thanks Szark:)

edited December 1969

Ah, yes I think I understand now... I should be doing everything one at a time. Makes sense. Thanks for the video. I'm definitely a visual person lol

edited December 1969

YEY!!

Zev you were right about one at a time! Works beautifully!! Turns out I did what the video said to do... But DS 4.5 must require you to do it all single file.

Thanks guys for all your help!! This is a great relief for me in Photoshop! I'd be working for hours trying to warp it right LOL

Cheers!

edited December 1969

I must admit I have never tried the Map Transfer. ;)