How do I get shirt collars to keep their shape?

WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've made a basic long sleeved shirt for Genesis, however when I use the transfer utility the collar does not stay as I made it.

It is a standard pointed type of collar as seen on men's shirts, but using a smoothing modifier turns it into a curved type that you see on ladies blouses.

Do I need to use rigidity groups? If so how do I do this please?

Would be grateful for any help.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,215
    edited December 1969

You probably need to increase the polygon density, or simply to avoid the use of Smoothing modifiers. Unwanted smoothing is the drawback of the modifier, and there isn't currently a way to apply weighting or rigidity maps to them (though it's a much-requested feature).

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Adding more polygons to the collar makes no difference I'm afraid. Need the smoothing modifier to get it to fit the other items of clothing that I made to go with it.

Will just have to leave it with a rounded collar, unless anyone knows another way.

Thanks Richard.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited October 2012

Show some pics of what you want vs. what you got? I've done some collars of that type. Maybe I can help.

Sometimes you can adjust the base model so that smoothing will put it into the right shape instead of out of it, but I need to see it to see if that will work.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

Even the base model doesn't come into Daz with the same sharp point to the collar.

Collar no smoothing. (Picture 1) Collar smoothing set on 5 (Picture 2)

Collar_Smoothed.png
    600 x 600 - 533K
    Collar_Not_Smoothed.png
    600 x 600 - 537K
    edited December 1969

It looks like your corner areas are each two points of a four-sided polygon. That's lower poly than you'll want it to be, but I don't think that's the issue as much as the shape. Smoothing is interpreting the two points as part of a curve, so it tries to make that area into a curve.

This first pic shows a test collar with smoothing off and the second with smoothing on. In this each collar point is the sharp corner of a polygon rather than a pair of corners. Smoothing does not interpret this as a curve, so it looks sharper when smoothed. Try that, or add a triangle past each of those two edge polys?

Collar2.jpg
    576 x 427 - 76K
    Collar1.jpg
    522 x 395 - 67K
    edited October 2012

Thank you Sickleyield.

The collar did have a sharp point when I modelled it in Silo, but for some reason Daz rounded it off on Import. I will see if I can change it so that Daz doesn't alter it so much.

Thanks for your help.:-)

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I use hex not silo but sometimes extracting extra edges around the area you want to stay rigid helps...hopes this makes sense I can't post images as I'm on my iPad.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Thank you Sickleyield.

The collar did have a sharp point when I modelled it in Silo, but for some reason Daz rounded it off on Import. I will see if I can change it so that Daz doesn't alter it so much.

Thanks for your help.:-)

How weird. I wonder if Silo has its own alternate smoothing that's not being exported?