Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• SLoTH_XVXSLoTH_XVX Posts: 199
    edited October 2012

OK I know I am a little late in DLing and installing this BETA Version but I finally did.

I installed (without uninstalling 8.1 vsn) and the serial code for this BETA version found in the first post of this thread is not working.....what am I doing wrong?

I entered it manually and also copy and pasted it.....nothing. I am getting a "The Serial Number is invalid" message........

Edit: NM

Got it found a code later in the thread and re-entered it manually (again) and it registered. What a PITA. Code should just be defaulted in....it's a FREE BETA what sence does a code make???? Oh well, good to go now.

Post edited by SLoTH_XVX on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Glad you found the right serial number. Have fun!

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Why does M5 Phillip applied to Genesis look very blurry even at maxed settings (obj acc 0.5, AA best)?

M4 Alan X and M5 Phillip, note the difference in detail. The maps are not the issue.

Doc2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 125K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Araneldon :)

I think the difference would be the settings for the shaders,

it looks like the left figure has highlight and shininess, possibly bump too,.. both adding to the perceived "Sharpness" of the image.
    the one on the right has very little highlight / shininess / bump, so it looks dull and less detailed

edited October 2012

The sample render is not ideal, but there is a considerable difference in detail and I don't think it's due to bump or specular. Troll for Genesis seems fine. Anyone else care to test this?

Also apparently the M5 shape is broken in Carrara while it works fine in DS4. In Carrara armpits appear broken when arms are bent down.

Root/Actor/Universal/All Muscle Volumes dial does nothing in Carrara, works as intended in DS4.

David 3 Head shape (Actor/Head/Male) does not appear if Actor is selected, Genesis must be selected instead.

M5 genitals only appear to render correctly with a texture (Caleb) applied when not Fit Fo Genesis. Fitting seems to mess up the UVs somehow.

Carrara "stopped working" when closed.

I think I'm just about done with Genesis in Carrara...

Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

Something else worth checking, ...depending on how the shaders are loaded,... is the setting for handing texture maps.
    In C8.5 it's default setting is "Fast Mip-map"

You could try changing that to "Sampling", unless they're both the same,.. then I'm clueless as usual :)

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

For those of you relying on the SN for This Beta Build, here you go: CDZCPRO-085-0000018-ZWM-001-EBTOMDO (Expires 12/1/2012)

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the update, bfurner!

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Also apparently the M5 shape is broken in Carrara while it works fine in DS4. In Carrara armpits appear broken when arms are bent down.

Root/Actor/Universal/All Muscle Volumes dial does nothing in Carrara, works as intended in DS4.

David 3 Head shape (Actor/Head/Male) does not appear if Actor is selected, Genesis must be selected instead.

M5 genitals only appear to render correctly with a texture (Caleb) applied when not Fit Fo Genesis. Fitting seems to mess up the UVs somehow.

Would someone please test these. I need to know before submitting a bug report whether these are bugs in Carrara as opposed to just installation issues on my end.
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the update - judging by it's short life-span, something new coming along real soon?

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Phooey, I was hoping 8.5 would be released before the s/n expired on 11/01. I'll gladly take the new # and keep using the beta though.

edited December 1969

Hi araneldon :)

I also don't see, or (I can't find) David in the parameters list in Carrara at all. ....although I have it in DS

The armpits on M5 work ok for Me (see pic)...
    can you post a pic of what you're getting.

I don't see a "Root/Actor/Universal/All Muscle Volumes", so it could be a morph pack which I don't have.

Any idea what set it comes from ?

Hope it helps :)

Philip_arms_down.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    edited December 1969

Apparently I get similar borkiness with the Freak 3 shape.

Muscle volumes come from Genesis Evolution: Muscularity.

Doc2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited October 2012

araneldon said:
    Apparently I get similar borkiness with the Freak 3 shape.

Muscle volumes come from Genesis Evolution: Muscularity.

There are two issues dealing with that vert (on each side) the first is the F4 JCM were not firing correctly, that is fixed in the current public build. The second is Carrara not smoothing a pair of stray verts present in M5 JCM correctly.

I asked 3Dage to test a bug fix, on an unrelated bug, for me with a build you don't have, which also happens to fix that smoothing issue. Unfortunately there is a problem with that build breaking the SDK so that build is not public.

BTW those stray verts do exist in DS on M5, but they aren't as pronounced, you have to turn off smoothing and know where to look. :)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

BTW David's head is a content issue not a Carrara Issue.

edited October 2012

It's not just a stray vert or two; there's some ugliness in the shoulders and pecs in my render that isn't present in 3dage's which looks the same as mine does in DS4.

I'm using build 172 and M5 1.1, no idea what is going on here.

Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    It's not just a stray vert or two; there's some ugliness in the shoulders and pecs in my render that isn't present in 3dage's which looks the same as mine does in DS4.

I'm using build 172 and M5 1.1, no idea what is going on here.

The Primary culprit is those verts, the ones that cause the points, which disrupts the smoothing there, the other areas are also the same smoothing issues on a smaller scale.
    edited December 1969

Okay, thanks.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

I'm a first time Carrara user and, after give it a chance of being a "Carrara user", loading a DUF file got me this:

erro1.jpg
    493 x 202 - 27K
    edited October 2012

What sort of scene are you trying to import?

I get that with anything that has to be frozen to the timeline, such as an Optitex clothing sim or animation made with aniblocks. Static scenes and animations done with Puppeteer work OK.

Post edited by Roygee on
  • ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    What sort of scene are you trying to import?

I get that with anything that has to be frozen to the timeline, such as an Optitex clothing sim or animation made with aniblocks. Static scenes and animations done with Puppeteer work OK.

it's a static scene, genesis figure posed with clothes, no dynamics or aniblocks involved.
    edited December 1969

This is a Beta, so any information you can give Daz will help sort out problems - suggest you add a report to this https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=47640

If you don't have an account specifically for the bug tracker, you will need to open one - your store account doesn't work for the bug tracker.

edited December 1969

HI zilvergrafix :)

You know that you can Load Genesis and clothing directly from the Smart content in Carrara, and also any newly updated content in DUF format should be in the smart content too. so poses and materials should be loadable if they're in Duf format,. or in "Older" Poser format for figures like V4, V3 etc.. which can be loaded into carrara from the Content tab in the browser.

There's now less need to import complete scenes from Daz Studio. but I've saved several genesis figures with clothes in Duf from DS, and opened them in Carrara 8.5 beta,..

Can you give any details about what products you're using,. perhaps I can try to replicate the issue here.

Hope it helps :)

smartcontent_C.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 329K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thanks for posting the new serial number early :-)

• elephantboy90elephantboy90 Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

I assume that this new serial number expires in 2013 rather than the 2012 date in the edited post :-)

edited December 1969

I assume that this new serial number expires in 2013 rather than the 2012 date in the edited post :-)
    1 December 2012
  • elephantboy90elephantboy90 Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

LOL. Caught out by the US vs UK date format. Of course! 1 Dec not 12 Jan. Sorry :-)

• GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Someone tried Carrara beta with windows 8 Pro? I am getting some errors messages with th CR2 file importer and with some browser.cpp (or something) when try to add a runtime.
    The version 8.1 is working fine, even the 32 bits.

edited December 1969

Let's see if I can explain simply...a normal is the side of the facet that should face outwards - if it doesn't, you don't get correct light reflection from the mesh, hence artifacts. Sometimes in the modelling process, some normals get wrongly made and end up facing inwards.

OK - so what you do is select the mesh, go to the utilities tab and click on the one that looks like a square thumb tack. You get three options - select the A and you get a red arrow in the centre of each facet - they should all be pointing outwards, but it is difficult to spot the few which may not be. Click on the one that looks like a thumb tack with four spikes. That will give you a single yellow arrow. If it's not pointing outwards, click on the A again, which should make it reverse direction. This show that your normals are unified and correctly aligned.

For some reason, I've never got the actual reverse normal option to actually do anything, but this method works for me.

• RestifRestif Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

now that the current serial number has expired, does anyone know when the next one will be available or the actual upgrade ready?. Some of the scenes I've made in 8.5 I am anxious to get back to.

This discussion has been closed.