Dynamic cloth (NOT clothes) and Genesis

vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm using Using Studio Pro version 4.0.3.47 on Windows 7 64-bit, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for making something like the Optitex dynamic eiderdown work with Genesis in a scene when it needs to collide with Genesis and anything else.

As long as I have it collide with Genesis root and only Genesis root, all is fine. (Well, more or less.) However, if you've got a character in bed, then the eiderdown needs to collide with the bed as well. With either a static or dynamic drape, when I select Genesis root and the bed (or whatever) the eiderdown simply drops through Genesis and conforms to the bed underneath. I tried it with the sunshade/tent and they react the same way.

Because the eiderdown/tent isn't a piece of clothing, using "Fit to" the way you would with clothing isn't an available option. When clothing can be "Fit to" a figure, it seems to collide with both the figure and anything else -- a chair, for example -- tolerably well.

Is there some way to force a dynamic non-clothing item to be "Fit to" a figure so that it will work properly? Or some other way of getting that type of drape to work properly in Studio with the included basic dynamic cloth plugin?

(I don't know if dynamics are improved in 4.5, but even if they are, upgrading isn't an option until Reality2 and GenX are upgraded to work with it.)

Comments

• ssweetessweete Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

are you using the collide with in the dynamics tab??
    as i have no problem getting the cloth to drape on genesis and the objs at the same time.

dynamiccloth.jpg
    392 x 645 - 55K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811
    edited June 2012

Yes, I am; that's the only way to restrict collision with Genesis to the root level. You go into the "Collide with" tab and unselect everything under the word "Genesis" (or whatever you've named your character, if you've changed the name). Then you select whatever else you need it to collide with that isn't Genesis. Then it ignores Genesis but collides beautifully with everything else.j

(Did you set the fingers to poke through on purpose? If so, that's a much finer degree of control than I can achieve.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

can it collide with multiple genesis figures?

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    can it collide with multiple genesis figures?

Nope. If two Genesis figures are in scene, dynamic cloth consistently and completely ignores the second figure placed in the scene -- and depending on how I've selected the "Collide With" vs "All Selectable in Viewport" options, may also ignore the first one and just drape against the prop. OR -- and this is the fun part! -- shape itself to the first figure, then continue draping until it falls through the figure, the prop and the floor.

I do not understand dynamic cloth. Not even a little.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Hmmm...what if I give genesis 2 a full body suit? Should work unless it also ignores everything assigned to the second figure. Have to try this out.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Try setting Genesis to base resolution during the drape, to disable the subdivision mesh. I've noticed that the dynamics plugin sometimes has trouble with subdivision; it makes the mesh faces too small and the dynamics will have clothes fall right through it. Reducing to base mesh will give it something to collide against, and then after the drape is complete, you can set it back to high resolution.

(I stumbled on this after seeing a post from someone else on the old forums about using hidden gloves and/or socks to get the draping engine to drape properly over hands/feet, where again it can end up "falling through" since there isn't enough for it to collide against.)

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Try setting Genesis to base resolution during the drape, to disable the subdivision mesh. I've noticed that the dynamics plugin sometimes has trouble with subdivision; it makes the mesh faces too small and the dynamics will have clothes fall right through it. Reducing to base mesh will give it something to collide against, and then after the drape is complete, you can set it back to high resolution.

(I stumbled on this after seeing a post from someone else on the old forums about using hidden gloves and/or socks to get the draping engine to drape properly over hands/feet, where again it can end up "falling through" since there isn't enough for it to collide against.)

Sadly, didn't help. Fell through the character and the prop (which was already at base resolution). There may just be something wrong with my dynamic cloth plugin. Maybe once 4.5 is out, stable, and working with other plugins, that'll take care of the issue. Thanks for trying to help!

• ssweetessweete Posts: 115
    edited June 2012

i have no problem using the table cloth on two genesis figures and a primitive prop..
    i left the hand out all except the left thumb on figure one, so she is holding the material.

does your screen selection look like this one?

Edited to remove over-sized images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/510_98/

dynamicexample.jpg
    565 x 800 - 136K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited June 2012

ssweete said:
    i have no problem using the table cloth on two genesis figures and a primitive prop..
    i left the hand out all except the left thumb on figure one, so she is holding the material.

does your screen selection look like this one?

Edited to remove over-sized images http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/510_98/

I saw your settings image before it was removed. I've tried those collision settings, I've tried others, I've tried about every combination of settings. The only conclusion I can come to is that whether or not things work is completely random.

I tried working with the Bettie Page drape, just for the heck of it, and the same settings you showed, and it actually worked this time ... sort of. If you look at the first image, it looks like everything was fine -- collided with Genesis, collided with the bed, all seems fine.

But when you look at the more detailed image, you can see that he's getting breakthrough on both feet and his knee. I think the only thing that kept it the drape from breaking over him was that the drape ran out of time.

axelchristopher-dancestudio-eggbed-dynamics4-crop.png
    800 x 570 - 1M
    axelchristopher-dancestudio-eggbed-dynamics4-800px.png
    800 x 495 - 1M
    Post edited by vwrangler on
  • ThespiSisThespiSis Posts: 118
    edited December 1969

Do you have "face-body intersection" selected in the Preferences tab.

edited December 1969

ThespiSis said:
    Do you have "face-body intersection" selected in the Preferences tab.

I think that may be an option only available in the more advanced separately purchased version of the plugin, and not the one that comes with Studio Pro by default. At least, I can't find a Preferences tab, and from what I can tell from searching, "face body intersection"/Preferences should be in something called "Garment Settings", and I don't have a menu/tab for that, either.

I think it's just somewhat random at this point. Items seem to have a limit of two things that they can deal with, as long as the resolution is low enough.If I've got two genesis figures set to base resolution, then it can handle both of them, but if they're laying on a bed, the edges will go through the bed, and if the simulation goes long enough, it'll start to break over the Genesis figures as well. If it's just one genesis figure set to base and a prop, that works as well -- but again, only as long as the simulation doesn't go too long.

Thanks for trying to help, everyone. I'm sure this will work itself out eventually.

• JuliKJuliK Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I´m having similar problem. (i have the basic plugin)
    If i´m using only genesis in a standing pose, usually works ok, but not perfect. (eg: sometimes if the cloth has long sleeve, the sleeve doesn't "fit" in the arm as if there is no arm.)
    But If i try to colide with a floor, for example, it always fall through the character and the floor (or whatever i try to collide)
    I already watched a video tutorial about how to use v4/m4 dynamic cloth on genesis.(i followed the tips)
    Searching for more answers some time ago, I found some posts about the subdivision....(I do not know exactly what it is, sorry my ignorance) ... But I decreased... increased ... and nothing worked.
    I tried a primitive plan (invisible) between the floor and genesis and did not work. I'm probably doing something wrong ... If anyone can help me, I'll be eternally grateful!
    ( Or a screencap of your seetings)

Sorry my english.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited December 1969

Alfinin said:
    I´m having similar problem. (i have the basic plugin)
    If i´m using only genesis in a standing pose, usually works ok, but not perfect. (eg: sometimes if the cloth has long sleeve, the sleeve doesn't "fit" in the arm as if there is no arm.)
    But If i try to colide with a floor, for example, it always fall through the character and the floor (or whatever i try to collide)
    I already watched a video tutorial about how to use v4/m4 dynamic cloth on genesis.(i followed the tips)
    Searching for more answers some time ago, I found some posts about the subdivision....(I do not know exactly what it is, sorry my ignorance) ... But I decreased... increased ... and nothing worked.
    I tried a primitive plan (invisible) between the floor and genesis and did not work. I'm probably doing something wrong ... If anyone can help me, I'll be eternally grateful!
    ( Or a screencap of your seetings)

Sorry my english.

Alfinin,
    You might want to try the following thread. I will send you to the first page. This is Simon's thread for dynamic clothing but the followers are advanced users of the plug-in and they might give you more answers then this thread.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7143/

Lonnie

• JuliKJuliK Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Alfinin,
    You might want to try the following thread. I will send you to the first page. This is Simon's thread for dynamic clothing but the followers are advanced users of the plug-in and they might give you more answers then this thread.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7143/

Lonnie

Thank you, Lonnie.
    I´ll repost my question there.
    I have similar problem with v4 too (not only with genesis), so...i dunno..maybe i´m really doing something wrong. *shrugs*