DSON Loader for Poser (without companion files)

Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464
edited December 1969 in The Commons

The Poser companion files for the DSON Importer for Poser are mainly needed to access DUF files from the Poser library. But the DSON importer may load other DSON files as well. So I made a small Poser Python script that allows to import DSON files into Poser by selecting them directly from the file system.

The script can be downloaded for free here: DSON Loader. (Please read the included ReadMe or Poser might crash because of an oddity in the DSON importer.)

In particular, this script can be used to apply DUF shaping presets generated by my DS plugin "Genesis Generation X" to Genesis when it has been imported to Poser.

It would be possible to write a library browser that accesses the DS library directly from Poser without requiring Poser companion files at all. If there's interest in this, I might do it.

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Lovely, thank you, Dimention3D :)

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

The Poser companion files for the DSON Importer for Poser are mainly needed to access DUF files from the Poser library. But the DSON importer may load other DSON files as well. So I made a small Poser Python script that allows to import DSON files into Poser by selecting them directly from the file system.

The script can be downloaded for free here: DSON Loader. (Please read the included ReadMe or Poser might crash because of an oddity in the DSON importer.)

In particular, this script can be used to apply DUF shaping presets generated by my DS plugin "Genesis Generation X" to Genesis when it has been imported to Poser.

It would be possible to write a library browser that accesses the DS library directly from Poser without requiring Poser companion files at all. If there's interest in this, I might do it.

If I understand what you are saying correctly I would be VERY interested in a script that would enable me to access my genesis runtime from poser without the having to go through the current situation of having to potentially reinstall all my genesis content into my poser runtime Library.

S.K.

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

The problem is that most DS / Genesis content is in DS 4.0 format (DSF), which is not supported by DSON Importer. So you will have to reinstall most Genesis content anyway if you want to have it for Poser. Also, you can use a new external Poser runtime folder if you want to have the DS content in a separate folder.

My point is that the companion files are rather useless, because all they are doing is mapping the DS library structure into a Poser library structure.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Hey Dimension3D, any plans on making GenX compatible with Poser? :)

edited December 1969

GenX is already compatible with Poser. The morphs transferred by GenX are loaded automatically with Genesis when using the DSON importer. And the DSON Loader script allows to load shaping presets in DSON format that were generated by GenX for morph dial settings. Of course, you need DS to run GenX, because it is a plugin. But I don't think I will revert it to a stand-alone application again like Gen4 was.

BTW, I uploaded a new version of the DSON Loader script. It now also works for files with the extension DSF, provided that the DSON importer can handle them correctly. (Because of differences in DS 4.0 and DS 4.5 file format, some DSF files may not work or work only partly.)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Yes! Please?
    Simply because of harddrive clutter ...

edited December 1969

I updated my Poser library solutions XL and PX to work with DSON files as well. You still need DSON Importer (of course), but you don't need the Poser companion files. You can browse for DUF and DSF files just like for Poser content.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    I am sorry to here that GenX won't ever be a Poser Plugin - that was the only reason I was interested in the DSON importer.

Even when GenX as a plugin requires DAZ Studio, this is no restriction for using GenX with Poser. DS is free and you can use GenX inside of DS without knowing anything about DS. The morphs and presets created by GenX can be used with Genesis in Poser by DSON Importer like any other morphs and presets for Genesis.

• pantenepantene Posts: 195
    edited December 1969

GenX is already compatible with Poser. The morphs transferred by GenX are loaded automatically with Genesis when using the DSON importer. And the DSON Loader script allows to load shaping presets in DSON format that were generated by GenX for morph dial settings. Of course, you need DS to run GenX, because it is a plugin. But I don't think I will revert it to a stand-alone application again like Gen4 was.

BTW, I uploaded a new version of the DSON Loader script. It now also works for files with the extension DSF, provided that the DSON importer can handle them correctly. (Because of differences in DS 4.0 and DS 4.5 file format, some DSF files may not work or work only partly.)

Thank you Ralph, for your fine work. Gen X is an immensely useful tool. And thank you also for DSON Loader. It loads dsf as easily as DSON files. Are there any plans for enabling it to load dsa files too? They seem to be old-style DStudio mat files. That would be very nice. Thank you anyway.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

ssgbryan said:
    The problem is that I don't grok the DS 4 interface - and since there is no documentation

This should be enough Studio documentation for most of your GenXing... GenX Plug-in Tutorial

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited December 1969

pantene: Old style DS material files are actually scripts (i.e. program code, no data). That's why it would be rather difficult to write an importer for them. It would be simpler to write an export plugin for DS to create a Poser material from a material in a DS scene. (I don't know if anyone already did this.)

ssgbryan: I understand your point, but rewriting GenX as a stand-alone tool would be a major effort. Using GenX inside of DS requires essentially to enter the registration number (in the Help > About installed plugins menu) and to open the GenX tab (from the Window > Tabs menu). Once you have the GenX tab open in DS, you can use GenX independently from DS. (You also may need to add the Poser runtime folders to the DS library to ensure GenX finds all file references.)

• pantenepantene Posts: 195
    edited December 1969

pantene: Old style DS material files are actually scripts (i.e. program code, no data). That's why it would be rather difficult to write an importer for them. It would be simpler to write an export plugin for DS to create a Poser material from a material in a DS scene. (I don't know if anyone already did this.)

ssgbryan: I understand your point, but rewriting GenX as a stand-alone tool would be a major effort. Using GenX inside of DS requires essentially to enter the registration number (in the Help > About installed plugins menu) and to open the GenX tab (from the Window > Tabs menu). Once you have the GenX tab open in DS, you can use GenX independently from DS. (You also may need to add the Poser runtime folders to the DS library to ensure GenX finds all file references.)

Thank you. I will look into that.

• StolpiStolpi Posts: 1
    edited March 2016

I just tried to download the DSON Loader, but I received a warning by Norton Internet Security, that the linked page is well known to be dangerous. frown I would be grateful, if you could resolve that issue, because the description of your work sounds really great! So long I will try out GenX2 and GenX2 Addon. I hope, I will understand how it works...

Post edited by Stolpi on
  • Trojan.Gen.2 is a generic detection for many individual but varied Trojans for which specific definitions have not been created. A generic detection is used because it protects against many Trojans that share similar characteristics.

In other words it hasn't found a specific threat but is guessing on general principle. While that doesn't prove there is no problem, it does tilt the odds in favour of its being a false positive. You don't need to enable scripts on the page to download, and having downloaded you can run additional scans with other tools to see if they detect a specific issue

Norton Internet Security is nonsense. Ignore it or turn it off.

The details for the "threat" give a warning about a single downloadable ZIP on www.sesseler.de, not on d3d.sesseler.de. That ZIP is older than the reported "threat" (and still in its original state). And you don't need to enable scripts on any of my web pages, because none of them uses scripts, everything just pure HTML.

• ChrisSerketChrisSerket Posts: 202

I try to download the script from the official page but it says: Error generating page.

Could someone send the script in a link? (since it's free, I don't think it's a problem)

Regards.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Just because the creator made it available for free on their site doesn't mean you have the right to redistribute it. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Also please note that you are posting to an old thread  (what we call a necro thread)  which was started in 2012, and last posted to in 2016.

but can't the script be found anywhere else?

• Was this what you are looking for? https://www.daz3d.com/dson-importer-for-poser

edited July 2020

That I have, what happens is that I have a car that when exported from Daz Studio, not only loses its bones and morphs, but also the materials become opaque.
    I have tried different export configurations from Daz to various softwares, be it with fbx, obj, dae, among many others, and with all of them it is almost the same.
    The only exception so far has been using Daz's diffeomorphic bridge to Blender. But although it has Blender it arrives almost perfect (it only loses the morphs), but once in Blender when exporting it in any other format, the same thing happens as if it were exported from Daz.
    What I need is for it to reach 3ds Max in an acceptable way. And the only thing left for me to try is the Dimension3D script.
    I don't know if anyone else knows of any other way.
    Still, I plan to open this up in a new forum, as Chohole is right that it is a very old forum.

Post edited by ChrisSerket on
  • Chris, please check your site email.