Daz Studio 4.5 pro is driving me crazy

adbcadbc Posts: 3,076
edited October 2012 in New Users

Hello,

Every time I use D/S for more than an hour, it just crashes. Fatal error.

I hope someone has an explanation. Obviously I cannot attach any file, as it's not allowed.

I uninstalled it and quite frankly I don't know if I want to re install it "again".

I still have an installation DVD for Poser 8(2010), as it was on Vista 32bit I wonder if I can install this one on a Windows 7, 64 bit ?

Thanks in advance.

My system Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
Intel core i7-CPU@3, 40 GHz,12,0 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GT545

Post edited by adbc on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

adbc said:
    Hello,

I hope someone has an explanation. Obviously I cannot attach any file, as it's not allowed.

I uninstalled it and quite frankly I don't know if I want to re install it "again".

I still have an installation DVD for Poser 8(2010), as it was on Vista 32bit I wonder if I can install this one on a Windows 7, 64 bit ?

Thanks in advance.

I have nearly the same setup as you, and I don't have any problems running DS4 or 4.5. To attach a file, you need to go to the Bug Tracker here : https://bugs.daz3d.com/main_page.php and open a new account there, it does not use the DAZ 3D login.

On the scant information that you have given, I doubt if anyone could offer an opinion on what has happened.
    What are you doing when it crashed? Loading figures? Rendering?
    Did you look at the log file after the crash to see what happened? Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File.

I would imagine your Poser will install OK on Win7, why not try it?

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751
    edited December 1969

Yep, Poser 8 will run on Windows 7 64 bit. Just be sure to install it in somewhere other than the programs folder or else you'll run into UAC troubles. Mine lives in a folder I made on my C Drive along with Poser 7, which also still works fine on Win7 Pro.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2012

adbc said:
    Hello,

Sorry to say this, but the first thing that pops to mind, considering the length of time involved...physical problem with your video card.

DS is as much an OpenGL program (maybe even more so) as any game...and those kind of errors, in a gaming environment, usually are indicative of a failing video card. Or at the very least a failing fan on the video card, causing it to overheat.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,076
    edited December 1969

@JimmyC_2009 I came to that page, I'll have to re install D/S and once it reproduces the error I'll open a new account.
    I certainly will try the Poser setup.

@Byrdie Thanks for the advice !

@mjc1016 OK, video card but it's a bran new computer. Maybe it's the monitor connection that is different from my Vista computer
    it has only one connection : VGA (blue) I miss the DVI (white) connection on the monitor. Maybe this is the reason ?

Thanks for your replies.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI adbc :)

Even brand new items can be faulty,..

if it's under warranty or guarantee, then you should at least have it checked out, for free,.. and if faulty ,.. replaced or refunded.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI adbc :)

Even brand new items can be faulty,..

if it's under warranty or guarantee, then you should at least have it checked out, for free,.. and if faulty ,.. replaced or refunded.

I will certainly do that, thanks.

• RLSprouseRLSprouse Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

DS4.5 Pro crashes constantly for me too. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing. Sometimes it happens shortly after starting up, with very little loaded into a scene. Sometimes it is during a save. Sometimes I'm just browsing in my library. It's not a hardware issue, as 4.0 and earlier ran fine, and I don't have any problems with other software, including graphic intense ones like Photoshop and Second Life. I have a reasonably powerful system running Win 7 64-bit with 8GB ram.

Tech support suggested I try running it in Windows "Vista compatibility mode" and that cures the crashing, but slows things down to a crawl. So they said I just have to wait for the next update, which tells me it is a known problem. Extremely frustrating.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Seriously, if after about an hour of moderate use of the video things crash, the likelihood of it being related to something like the video card overheating as being the cause is extremely high.

Browsing the internet, running email and such don't put the load on the card that an OpenGL app does..

I had to wait two weeks to install a brand new video card once, because it came with a dud fan...that's how long the exchange took.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

Mine often says DS5 has stopped responding... But then it recovers. It can get annoying.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI SereneNight :)

That sounds more like a temporary memory issue,.

what's your system spec,..?

If it's a Windows 32 bit system, then there's a 3GB limit on 32 Bit applications which could cause some processes to wait until memory is available.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited October 2012

Mine often says DS5 has stopped responding... But then it recovers. It can get annoying.

In your case I think it's running the software through the time warp continuum that is messing with it. ;)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on