ot: Batten down the hatches East Coasters - hybrid sandy winter storm

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,254
    edited October 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...cinematic cliche's aside, sounds like it could be the "perfect storm".

Nope; it's just about Halloween and it is 'Frankenstorm' !

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

latest advisory http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT3+shtml/281204.shtml
    i hope they've fixed that cascading stuff by now, if the power goes out.

it's funky gray sky, at the moment the wind outside feels refreshing.

• RomancefantasyRomancefantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I don't have any hatches to batten down I believe. But like everyone else when a storm is brewing I ran out to buy last minute supplies this morning. No batteries and no water in my local store. I managed to get a pack double D and double A batteries so I hope my electricity stays on. If it is like Irene I should be fine and dandy but you never know. Just in case I got my ramen noodles and seltzer though. Hope I don't have to eat sparkling noodles. :cheese:

I hope everyone in Sandy's path stays safe.

• LillianaLilliana Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

About as ready as I can be.

And yeah, in the path. We are essentially looking at 2 Storms, A cold front from the north and a Full moon.

It's going to make the damages from the 1991 "Perfect Storm" look like pocket change.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited October 2012

....even out here in the "other" Portland, some of us will be feeling the storm's effect. One of my company's primary clients (who I am the account manager for) is just outside of Philly which is pretty much in the bullseye of the storm's track. To make matters worse, it is not only the end of the month (accounting wise) but we have our annual inventory audit for this same client coming up in just over a week

Been listening to the football match in Philly on the radio and they are already feeling effect of the storm's leading edge there.

..can't type or think today...need more tea.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2012

As of 4:45pm, the rain has begin in the South Coast Region Massachusetts.

Candles and Lantern Ready, Cellphone charged...

Post edited by Lilliana on
    edited December 1969

..as I understand, the diameter of this storm's rain/wind effects is something like 500 miles.

This storm is expected to have a huge impact on the eastern US as there are high wave warnings (22'- 25') as far away as the southern part of Lake Michigan.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..as I understand, the diameter of this storm's rain/wind effects is something like 500 miles.

This storm is expected to have a huge impact on the eastern US as there are high wave warnings (22'- 25') as far away as the southern part of Lake Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

edited October 2012

...very familiar with the story as I was living in North Central Wisconsin when it happened. (unfortunately my connectivity is really sucky today, keeps dropping out so streaming anything is pretty much an exercise in futility).

Interestingly, Lake Superior is the only lake that will not be affected.

...and "'ol Michigan" will be more in a full "boil".

Just checked a couple of the news sites in Philly where my client is based and it sounds like they are hunkering down until this is over, SEPTA, (Philly's transit service), PATCO Rail, and even Amtrak are suspending all service until at least Tuesday (even then "as soon as conditions allow").

The NWS which has been tracking Sandy says that many areas will experience some of the lowest pressures in history as the storm passes through.

Almost wondering if I might be able to take the day off as all weekend I have been feeling more and more "under the weather" myself.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,992
    edited October 2012

7:30 EST and the wind is starting to really pick up in the south shore of Long Island... They have made a mandatory evacuation of Fire Island across the Great south bay from where I am... but they evacuate that place all the time. I'm just hoping we don't loose power. I went down by the water earlier and it didn't seem so bad... then I passed by the trailer park community built on the waterfront... WHY in god's name would anyone do that?... why don't you just place an ammo dump and a fireworks factory on either side too, just for added effect.
    I suppose we don't get enough tornados so they had to build it somewhere equally dangerous.
    It was also refreshing to see all the people in my neighborhood raking leaves pruning shrubs and placing the bags and bundles of branches out in front of their homes so the wind will have lots of stuff to throw around.
    It is amazing to see how cleaned out most of the stores were for items like bottled water, bread, soup and ice cream.... especially the ice cream... it's often an overlooked necessity in a hurricane or zombie outbreak.
    Well, till later... good luck East Coasters.

Edited to add... they are evacuating parts of the south side of my town closest to the water.... luckily I'm above the projected flood lines.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited December 1969

i forgot to pick up ice cream, but remembered the beer.

drafty windows, brrr

edited December 1969

i forgot to pick up ice cream, but remembered the beer.

drafty windows, brrr

....mmmm beer floats....

Actually one of the local craft Brewers here does have a Beer Float as well as well a Beer Shake on the menu, both made with their thick & creamy Terminator™ Stout. I've had both and they are mighty tasty.

Oh, and I agree, Ice Cream is one of the most important survival foods, not only as it has a pleasurable and soothing effect, but if it weren't eaten before the power went out, it would all just melt. So it is as much for the survival for the ice cream so it can serve it's most important purpose.

...did that make sense? :cheese:

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,402
    edited December 1969

This morning I got an email from my ISP with a link I can go to for information in case we lose power. Of course, if we lose electricity, I won't be able to turn the computer on, but I appreciated the thought. (I know I can check things on my smartphone, but the email still seemed a bit silly.)

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,402
    edited December 1969

I don't have any hatches to batten down I believe. But like everyone else when a storm is brewing I ran out to buy last minute supplies this morning. No batteries and no water in my local store. I managed to get a pack double D and double A batteries so I hope my electricity stays on. If it is like Irene I should be fine and dandy but you never know. Just in case I got my ramen noodles and seltzer though. Hope I don't have to eat sparkling noodles. :cheese:

I hope everyone in Sandy's path stays safe.

I had to go to the grocery store anyway (we needed a lot of things), but it was a LOT more crowded than usual. I figure if we lose power, we'll have to cook outside on the charcoal grill. We have a gas oven, but neither the ignitor nor the gas safety valve will work without electricity. I think we'll manage. There's enough leftovers to tide us over if we really need them.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

All of you in the path, stay safe and dry.

edited December 1969

riftwitch said:
    We have a gas oven, but neither the ignitor nor the gas safety valve will work without electricity. I think we'll manage. There's enough leftovers to tide us over if we really need them.

Gotta love 'modern'...

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

There is a blizzard and winter storm warning in effect for the counties at the West Virginia and Virginia border. It will be interesting to see if the cold air mixes with the hurricane.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

I'm many thousands of kilometres away from the USA, and currently glad for that.
    Wishing all those in the storm's path a safe few weeks.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,426
    edited December 1969

In case anyone was wondering:

How to Batten a Hatch

edited December 1969

There is a blizzard and winter storm warning in effect for the counties at the West Virginia and Virginia border. It will be interesting to see if the cold air mixes with the hurricane.

I've heard everything from 'we are going to get so wet we'll need to know what a cubit is' to 'we'll have to dig out our woolly mammoths, so we can go somewhere before next June'.

edited December 1969

...my best wishes are with all who are in the path of this storm. From what I have been seeing and reading, this is nothing to be taken lightly.

Please take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

I have built a Fortress Of Fortitude from Stuffed Animals (all Cows of course).

So I am as safe as possible!

Not going into employment today either. So it's time to deal with this and whatever it brings, as it brings it...

I'm not far from landfall of this monster, so ... yeah.

The Stuffed Cows will protect me.

cows3.jpg
    666 x 522 - 42K
    cows2.jpg
    666 x 522 - 44K
    cows1.jpg
    666 x 522 - 40K
    edited December 1969

Too cool Sock.

Not going into employment today either. So it's time to deal with this and whatever it brings, as it brings it...

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Lilliana said:
    Too cool Sock.

Yup...

I feel sorry for those who didn't prepare and don't have sufficient quantities of plush toys to stay safe!

edited December 1969

Oh I've got my plushie Brigade set up. Plus have some of my daughter's anteing in. Toothless is roaring to go.

DSCF0823.jpg
    787 x 585 - 147K
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Be safe Long Island, anything north of 25A is geologically more sound than the south shore which is essentially a 50,000 year old sand bar, and for the love of Robert E, Moses stay the hell off Dune Road!

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Sending good luck to everyone anyone near Sandy. Keep safe.

Thinking of you all out there.

From a very wet, but safe part of England.

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

It can only be hoped that not too many will be too badly affected by this storm...

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited October 2012

Hmm... I guess I've been tuning out the weatherfool these past few days... strange that my wife has not mentioned it, she is much more concerned with weather than me. They jerk you around so much I never trust them anyway.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I learned somewhere recently a quote that made great sense. Something to the effect: Weather prediction is right enough of the time that you can't ignore it, but wrong enough of the time that you can't rely on it.

Ah ha! Found it! A mathematical explanation of the trouble with predicting the weather. (humor at the beginning not withstanding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF5Wvi_Iiy4&feature=related

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

some of the wind noises are scaring me. no likez