V3 morphs and clothes in Genesis and V5?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I see there is a free utility that enables V3 clothes to be used with genesis/V5 but I don't exactly understand how it works. Ideally I'd like to convert many V3 clothes for use in v5 and wonder whether all, or just some of them are suitable. Does this utility adjust the V3 cloth morphs to fit genesis, and if so does that also mean I can also use V3 (which overall I prefer) body morphs for use in v5 or genesis.

The V3 morphs are still very useful and actually provide in many cases a much more detailed manipulation of face and body. For example: hip spandex, male spandex, breasts smooth, sternum narrow, hip narrow, hip small and many others.

The reason I ask is because the genesis/v5 body morphs have a similar flaw to V4: there is a big gap between left and right buttocks. Just to be clear, there is an exaggerated distance between the top inner thighs and that causes an exaggerated (and unrealistic looking) very wide crotch area. In v3 you could easily adjust this by using the inner thigh and hip spandex morphs. They would close the unsightly gap from the back and this might explain why in the vast majority of screenshots of V4 and V5 renders, there are very few views from directly behind the buttocks as I think the artists are aware it just doesn't look right.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The RAMWolff and DieTrying conversion sets have various leg and buttocks morphs...and both are freebies.

Grab the SickleYield Genesis conversion of DieTrying's 182 morphs for V4...
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis

And RAMWolff's Morphs for Genesis...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6841/

And there's this...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/59837/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Junk-In-The-Trunk-for-Genesis-(updated)

• edited December 1969

mjc1016: Thank you very much for that. Am I right to assume that after installing your suggested addon morphs, they will appear either as a master morph heading with a master slider, or will appear as "extra" morphs in the params list of general morphs for each section (torso,upper/lower etc)?

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

OK since you asked about getting v3 clothing & items to work with genesis you will need to get the http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis to allow auto fit to work with gen 3 items. If you want to transfer gen3 morphs you will need http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genx-addon-gen3-bundle which will allow you to transfer morphs from gen3 figures over to genesis as well.

edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    mjc1016: Thank you very much for that. Am I right to assume that after installing your suggested addon morphs, they will appear either as a master morph heading with a master slider, or will appear as "extra" morphs in the params list of general morphs for each section (torso,upper/lower etc)?

Some of each...although both sets have their own 'section' in the Parameters tab (under actor)...

Together, they are almost as useful as the Evolution morphs with some items that the Evolution morphs don't have.

RAMWolff is working on getting a male set up, to go along with the female set he already has up,

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I must ask, WHAT way to put Generation 3 clothing on Genesis. All I know about is the Gen4 Autofit. Even the Gen3 shapes do not give you Autofit for Gen3 clothing that I know of.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I must ask, WHAT way to put Generation 3 clothing on Genesis. All I know about is the Gen4 Autofit. Even the Gen3 shapes do not give you Autofit for Gen3 clothing that I know of.

The only way I know of, for sure...CrossDresser (Wardrobe Wizard) > convert Gen3 item to Gen4 > then manually use the Transfer utility, as opposed to Autofit. (did that for the M3 Norman's outfit...but I need to redo it at the CrossDresser level as I let CD put handles in it...and well, fitting it with themm in DS4.5 is NOT recommended...they kind of stick around with no way of getting rid of them I can find. The other parts work, the tunic is the problem part).

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hi Jade, when you buy the gen 3 iconic shapes you get autofit for them. I have autofitted a lot of Gen 3 stuff to genesis. Here's a few
    Sam character wearing edwardian suit
    Mavka/kiyoko mix with chiton
    Playing with the dress
    kiyoko in the dna morphing gown for v3
    kiyokomorphinggown.png
    1000 x 1414 - 2M
    Thedress_cowl_adjustments_plus_lock_distance.png
    1000 x 1414 - 777K
    Sadie_chablis_texture_with_kiyoko_2.png
    1000 x 1414 - 920K
    sam_test_fashion_lights.png
    1000 x 1414 - 693K
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

With Iconic shapes for gen3, links is above post by GreyMouser69. It is not free. Never, it had been free. Morphs can be obtained using genx add-on for gen3, also using morph loader, free with DS4, but you need repair some il-posed points with hexagon, so, is better pay genx add-on for gen3.

It's a render with shukky free armor for V3 autofited in genesis with toon amy morph.

v3_cloth_in_genesis_amy_toon.png
    611 x 885 - 170K
    edited December 1969

According to daz the gen 3 iconic shapes give you the gen3 clones for auto fit so it is supposed to work, at least as well as the gen4 auto fit does. I have the shapes but have yet to try the auto fit functions.

edited December 1969

It's a mophs for V4 by morphs loader, but the same method works with gen3 morphs

V3fen.png
    744 x 846 - 432K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Opps, I'm behind the times. You folks are 100% correct. Just never sunk in to my thicker than normal head. I'll jump on this bandwagon as I could use it for some of my stuff. (Place broken Red faced Smiley here)

edited December 1969

Are you kidding? The whole auto fit option is 99% of the reason I grabbed the gen3 iconic bundle and d3 shape in the first place lol. I have TONS of gen3 and gen4 content that is VERY helpful to be able to use auto fit to use with genesis!

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

That's the same reason I bought Gen3 Iconic. However the shapes would also come in handy making anime/toon type characters also I would imagine.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited October 2012

Here is Genesis wearing Billy-T's jeans & tank top for Stephanie 3, via autofit.

fun_with_autofit_by_canary3d-d5fmftv.jpg
    600 x 800 - 298K
    Post edited by Canary3d on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

methinks the king is wearing no clothes ;p

• edited December 1969

It's faster and easier to do it by hand. Load the clothes with no parent over a stock Genesis male or female. Move the clothing to a close fit. Export the clothing (SubD-0). Do any touch up needed in Wings3d or Blender over a Genesis export ... male of female. Back in DS4xx New Scene load your stock Genesis (male or female) Load the clothing, Load your export as a morph target ... Convert to Triax or do a Prop to Figure in the Edit tab, now use your morph, then do the transfer using "Current" on the clothing and Reverse source shape if not a Stock Genesis ....

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

That's faster than just clicking "fit to" and then picking V3 from the original figures list? :) Your way gets nicer results (particularly for shoes) but for close-fitting garments, autofit does a good job and is very easy to use.

edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    That's faster than just clicking "fit to" and then picking V3 from the original figures list? :) Your way gets nicer results (particularly for shoes) but for close-fitting garments, autofit does a good job and is very easy to use.

Yes!!, shoes need re-rigging, Gen3 or Gen4, some flats and more heels, but clothes work better with one click autofit and a spoonful of smooth/push modifiers or a particular morph. Match shoes with foot is some times hard, I don't want to figure out how Match complex clothes. I currently re-rig shoes easily, but I still waiting for somebody fix or upgrade autofit for shoes or create a script fixing this.

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

One type of thing that doesn't work well (yet) are long skirts or even mid-calf ones. Some break apart.

I'm hoping that we could get a different bone insertion for skirts that gives Front, Back, Left, Right maybe with a lower set as well for better movement. Not sure where to suggest this but it would make those fits much easier.

• edited October 2012

Hi,

"OK since you asked about getting v3 clothing & items to work with genesis you will need to get the http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis to allow auto fit to work with gen 3 items. If you want to transfer gen3 morphs you will need http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genx-addon-gen3-bundle which will allow you to transfer morphs from gen3 figures over to genesis as well."

I'm still a bit confused. I have already tried converting some V3 clothes into V5/genesis successfully using the free utility. However I notice that for example the V3 and v4 MFD dress which has "skirt" as one of its parts (and a very useful part because you can instantly adjust the y scaling and even x scaling for skirt length and width) you can't do that using Studio 4.5 or genesis because the bone structure of the converted clothes is not the same. There is no "skirt".

Furthermore the wonderful thing about V3 (using poser) was that every body part had scale sliders for each x,y and z axis as well as an overall scale slider. Subtle manipulation of these sliders could be done without distorting the shape, and the same scaling params could be applied to nearly all the V3 clothing I used in Poser 6. However daz studio/genesis/genesis clothing seems to have a lack of scaling params, especially in x,y,z.

I am a bit confused about what the "iconic" shapes do that isn't already available in Studio/genesis for cloth conversion, since my install of Studio/genesis does have a legacy V3 shape among the V5/Voluptuous/Genesis character sliders. The DAZ publicity blurb on gen X only mentions V4.There's no mention of V3. Ideally I would like to be able to use all my V3 body/face addon morphs in Studio with genesis. Would this be possible using either iconic shapes or genx, and if so, do I need both and how do I go about importing the V3 extra DAZ body/face morphs for use in Studio?

Thanks SO MUCH for any advice.

Oh...while I'm here, I cannot make the genesis/v5 eyes in Daz Studio 4.5 appear properly. They are either grossly whited out, or the irises appear so bland and washed out they are useless. I've tried switching specular colour to black (eyes seem to load with the default white) but it makes no difference. The eyes also lack any reflective qualities and look dead.

Post edited by rob-young_652bf24516 on
    edited December 1969

One of the problems with the eyes...the number/names of the surfaces/materials.

There are a number of things to play with and they can be a bit of a pain to get right, but when you do you can save out the settings as a preset and then apply to any eyes.

I prefer using eye textures that do not have 'painted on' reflections. When I finish up with what I'm doing, I'll see if I can get some renders/screenshots (if nobody else has any good eye tips)...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

leonardis said:

I am a bit confused about what the "iconic" shapes do that isn't already available in Studio/genesis for cloth conversion, since my install of Studio/genesis does have a legacy V3 shape among the V5/Voluptuous/Genesis character sliders. The DAZ publicity blurb on gen X only mentions V4.There's no mention of V3. Ideally I would like to be able to use all my V3 body/face addon morphs in Studio with genesis. Would this be possible using either iconic shapes or genx, and if so, do I need both and how do I go about importing the V3 extra DAZ body/face morphs for use in Studio?

If you have the V3 slider then you must have the iconic shape.

To transfer Gen 3 morphs you need the iconic shape and the Gen3 addon for GenX as well as GenX itself.

• edited December 1969

You're right...I did have the iconic shape, but now I have another problem: I have a whole lot of V3 textures that I love using but Studio 4.5 DOESN'T have a V3 uv map option! A bit naughty of DAZ seeing as they must know many customers have spent shedloads of cash on V3 products from them yet can't make V3 body UV maps work in Genesis after already purchasing Gen X products. There is a UV set conversion tutorial but it doesn't work for me. How come DAZ provides UV sets by default for V4, Michael 4 etc but not for V3? If it they converted them for V4 then the software they used must surely be a simple few clicks away to do the same for V3. Oh well......

edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    You're right...I did have the iconic shape, but now I have another problem: I have a whole lot of V3 textures that I love using but Studio 4.5 DOESN'T have a V3 uv map option! A bit naughty of DAZ seeing as they must know many customers have spent shedloads of cash on V3 products from them yet can't make V3 body UV maps work in Genesis after already purchasing Gen X products. There is a UV set conversion tutorial but it doesn't work for me. How come DAZ provides UV sets by default for V4, Michael 4 etc but not for V3? If it they converted them for V4 then the software they used must surely be a simple few clicks away to do the same for V3. Oh well......

Unfortunately, it just wasn't possible to do it directly, the Gen 3 UVs are laid out too differently.

• edited October 2012

leonardis said:

Unfortunately, it just wasn't possible to do it directly, the Gen 3 UVs are laid out too differently.

Well thanks for the reply but wait a minute. Why has DAZ placed a tutorial specifically about converting UV maps for V3 (I believe the example given was the v3tov2 object file) when it doesn't work? When you say the Gen 3 UVs are laid out too differently, do you mean DAZ feels it can't be bothered to solve that problem despite the fact that hundreds, possibly thousands of your customers have purchased Genx , iconic shapes, genesis morphs plus all the the legacy v3 stuff and they can't get a simple body/face texture to map properly in Studio 4.5? Come on guys - it really is a limp excuse to say "laid out too differently". How long would it take for someone at Daz to spend a little effort making V3 UV maps so that hundreds of v3 addons (many from DAZ itself) will work in genesis/studio?

I believe there is a commercial product for converting v3 or other UV maps for use in studio format sold on this website. Are you saying this software doesn't work for v3 when it is advertised as being precisely that? If it does work, then without wishing to deprive the developer of his reward, why are you providing v4 and m4 UV maps but not V3 by default? My reasoning is that there are a factor of 4 or 5 times the number of texture products for v3 than there are for v4 and there must be a huge number of your customers who have V3 stuff lying around not being usable in Studio, yet you are happy to sell GenX products specifically designed for V3 conversion use.

I think it is reasonable to ask you please to solve the problem and provide your customers with a full range of UV maps, including V3. I have sent a support query ( I think my first in many years) to ask for the same. I respectfully ask that you consider that request as being entirely reasonable. Thanks.

Post edited by rob-young_652bf24516 on
    edited December 1969

leonardis said:
    leonardis said:

Well thanks for the reply but wait a minute. Why has DAZ placed a tutorial specifically about converting UV maps for V3 (I believe the example given was the v3tov2 object file) when it doesn't work? When you say the Gen 3 UVs are laid out too differently, do you mean DAZ feels it can't be bothered to solve that problem despite the fact that hundreds, possibly thousands of your customers have purchased Genx , iconic shapes, genesis morphs plus all the the legacy v3 stuff and they can't get a simple body/face texture to map properly in Studio 4.5? Come on guys - it really is a limp excuse to say "laid out too differently". How long would it take for someone at Daz to spend a little effort making V3 UV maps so that hundreds of v3 addons (many from DAZ itself) will work in genesis/studio?

I believe there is a commercial product for converting v3 or other UV maps for use in studio format sold on this website. Are you saying this software doesn't work for v3 when it is advertised as being precisely that? If it does work, then without wishing to deprive the developer of his reward, why are you providing v4 and m4 UV maps but not V3 by default? My reasoning is that there are a factor of 4 or 5 times the number of texture products for v3 than there are for v4 and there must be a huge number of your customers who have V3 stuff lying around not being usable in Studio, yet you are happy to sell GenX products specifically designed for V3 conversion use.

I think it is reasonable to ask you please to solve the problem and provide your customers with a full range of UV maps, including V3. I have sent a support query ( I think my first in many years) to ask for the same. I respectfully ask that you consider that request as being entirely reasonable. Thanks.

As I understand it, UV switching can't change material zones -- all it can do is indicate which vertices on the object map to which points on a single map. To map the Gen 3 textures to Genesis would require one material zone to take bits from 2 different maps at different levels of resolution, which can't be done natively. I've been told that DAZ 3D tried to make it work, but couldn't. It may be that someone can figure out a way to do it, but currently the only way that's known to work is to use a texture converter like TC2 to create new maps.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the response. OK, that sounds reasonable. I don't mind converting textures to keep legacy stuff alive.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

OK since you asked about getting v3 clothing & items to work with genesis you will need to get the http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis to allow auto fit to work with gen 3 items. If you want to transfer gen3 morphs you will need http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genx-addon-gen3-bundle which will allow you to transfer morphs from gen3 figures over to genesis as well.

Are you saying I would need all 3 of these items to use my gen3 items in DS 4.5 with Genesis?

Kharma

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:

Are you saying I would need all 3 of these items to use my gen3 items in DS 4.5 with Genesis?

Kharmathat would depend on which clothing you wish to convert...if you only have a3 clothing you would only need the a3 shape and so on....

edited December 1969

Kharma said:

Kharma

For clothes:
    A3/H3 only: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/a3-and-h3-shapes-for-genesis/ or
    V3/M3 only: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v3-and-m3-shapes-for-genesis/ or
    S3/F3 only: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/stephanie-3-and-freak-shapes-for-genesis/

All A3/H3/V3/M3/S3/F3: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis (pay 2, obtain 3)

D3 only: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/david-3-for-genesis

For morphs:
    Your old morphs + gen3 shapes + DS4pro tools + Hexagon 2.5 + much time to lost (DS4.0 information, I hadn't time to prove in DS4.5, maybe it is better, maybe not) or an easy option:

GenX http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x plus:
    A3/H3 only: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genx-addon-gen3-for-a3-and-h3/ plus http://www.daz3d.com/shop/a3-and-h3-shapes-for-genesis/ or
    V3/M3 only: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genx-addon-gen3-for-v3-and-m3/ plus http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v3-and-m3-shapes-for-genesis/ or
    S3/F3/D3 only: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genx-addon-gen3-for-s3-d3-and-f3/ plus http://www.daz3d.com/shop/stephanie-3-and-freak-shapes-for-genesis/ and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/david-3-for-genesis

All A3/H3/V3/M3/S3/F3/D3: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genx-addon-gen3-bundle plus http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/david-3-for-genesis

For more than a couple is better to buy bundles: 3 couples with the price of 2