Smart content "Where is it" Mac OS X

DaleCar_06ae99e4f4DaleCar_06ae99e4f4 Posts: 178
edited October 2012 in The Commons

Hi all.

I recently upgraded to Daz 4.5.0.114. For some reason my Smart content. Isn't showing up. I mean sometimes it shows up. Once to be exact. Is this a common problem with 4.5?

I'm using Daz 4.5 64 bit for Mac. And I'm running system 10.7.5 on a 3.4 Ghz intel core i7 with 16 GB of memory

I don't think I did anything unusual when I did the upgrade. Any ideas whats going on?

Thanks
Dale

Post edited by DaleCar_06ae99e4f4 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The current version is 4.5.1.6...

That said, Smart Content requires that CMS service is running. Check and see if it is...

• DaleCar_06ae99e4f4DaleCar_06ae99e4f4 Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I'll look at downloading the new version of Daz. Maybe that will help.

As to CMS service. I'll check if someone explains what it is and how I do it. I've never heard of it

Thanks
    Dale

edited December 1969

CMS...Content Management Service. It's the database server that runs the 'smart content'.

edited December 1969

Thats half the answer. It still doesn't explain how to check it.

I looked in Daz Studio preferences. I see no mention of CMS. I do see a content Directory Manager. But there is no. On/Off switch. Or anything that says that its running or not.

For the record. The old content tree is working, with the exception of the area where the smart content would be duplicated. And my the new version of Daz I haven't downloaded yet. I'll go start that next.

Thanks,
    Dale

edited December 1969

It should start when you start your machine, running as a background service...how that is handled/checked on a Mac is beyond me, as I haven't used a Mac running an Apple OS since an early 9 (?)...my ancient iMac runs Linux, just like most of my other boxes (my wife's and daughter's laptops and the HTPC run Windows...the HTPC, because Netflix doesn't like Linux).

If it isn't...there is a 'manual start'...but again, I'm lost as to where to find it, on a Mac.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

I suggest putting "MacOSX" in the thread title -- I'll see if I can find a Mac person to give advice.

edited December 1969

mjc1016:

I'd think it would start when DAz is launched. Seems silly to run and take up system resources if your not working in Daz. It worked fine in Daz 4.0. I only upgraded to Daz 4.5 about a week or so ago.

fixmypcmike:

I added the mac OSx to the title, and I'll try the upgrade tomorrow sometime. Maybe I'll get lucky and that will fix it.

Thanks
    Dale

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    mjc1016:

I'd think it would start when DAz is launched. Seems silly to run and take up system resources if your not working in Daz. It worked fine in Daz 4.0. I only upgraded to Daz 4.5 about a week or so ago.

fixmypcmike:

I added the mac OSx to the title, and I'll try the upgrade tomorrow sometime. Maybe I'll get lucky and that will fix it.

Thanks
    Dale

It starts with the Operating System because applications can't launch system services, and because Carrara will also be using it.

What version of DS4 were you using previously? It may be that you have an old version of CMS installed -- it doesn't get uninstalled automatically when you upgrade.

edited December 1969

I was previously running 4.0.3.47 Daz. I downloaded all the 64 bit mac files when I reset the download for version 4.5. And I've done so again tonight. I just have to install them. I'd think everything would be right, if it needed to be upgraded.

I initially thought the problem had to do with installing new content. The first I noticed it. Was after I had bought some new content. And nothing was showing in smart content after I did the install. I closed Daz, and re-launched it. Then the smart content was working.

But tonight I've closed and restarted Daz with No luck. Even restarted the computer once in hopes that that might fix the problem. But nothing.

Dale

edited December 1969

Typically on a Windows machine, that would be an indication that a firewall or other security software, lack of rights or a conflicting port call is preventing the server from running...on a Mac...???

Look for a folder named vlogs...it should be in the same location, as a subfolder, where the ContentManagement is installed. Look for the most recent one (there' will probably be a few of them in there...). If there are no errors, it should end with 'service started'...if there are errors, post what they are.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

Hello,

If you look in the folder where you've have your Content Manager System (CMS), it will be a few folders inside there:

Databases
    Uninstallers
    licences
    projects
    utilities
    vlogs

if you look inside vlogs, you should have log-file(s), one for each time the VServer has been started.
    If you check the one that is newest, it should say something like:

/*************************************************************************************/
    Sat Oct 27 2012 12:11:25.192260 DAZ Content Management Service (4.8.1, Kernel 4.8.1 )
    Licence license_emb_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

Everything OK so far? Wanna check before I proceed as you might have troubles here already.

edited December 1969

Ok. I did a search for vlogs, CMS, Content Manager System. on both my hard drives. And came up zip. No such animal. I did a visual look around in my DAZ folder. The only thing I see that really matches your description is: uninstallers. But theres only one item in that folder. So I'm fairly confident that its not what were looking for.

It probably doesn't matter. But I've been using Daz since 2007. And when given a choice. I elect not to have uninstallers, installed. To date, that hasn't caused me any problems. When updating Daz. Its always uninstalled whatever had to be automatically.

As is typical on a mac, I have no firewalls or security software installed. Lack of rights? I bought all this content. So that shouldn't be the problem. And as to conflicting port call. I have no idea what that means.

Sorry if I'm starting to sound cranky. I do appreciate the help. But it nearing 4 AM here, and I get a little cranky when Daz is behaving badly

Dale

edited December 1969

Do you have spotlight enabled on the directory tree where the CMS is located (I don't), so spotlight won't find it anyway. I think the default location is in ~/Library/Application Support (Your home->Library) and that folder is hidden for users in 10.7 and up (stupid Apple turning the computer into a iToy device). You can unhide it in the Finder settings and then you can find it.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Do you have spotlight enabled on the directory tree where the CMS is located (I don't), so spotlight won't find it anyway. I think the default location is in ~/Library/Application Support (Your home->Library) and that folder is hidden for users in 10.7 and up (stupid Apple turning the computer into a iToy device). You can unhide it in the Finder settings and then you can find it.

Rights...

Yes, you may have bought it, but do you on your computer have enough rights to use it. Account permission/user rights/policies whatever you want to call them. It's how much the OS will actually let you, the user, control what happens.

Conflicting port call...the software that calls for a specific port to listen on can lock that port to itself, so if anything else wants to use that port it will be denied. All software that is network capable/aware uses a port to 'listen' on. Database servers, print servers, any kind of server uses them, too. iTunes uses several...besides the standard Internet ports (which are usually NOT allowed to be locked, although I know of software that does).

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Totte said:

Rights...

Yes, you may have bought it, but do you on your computer have enough rights to use it. Account permission/user rights/policies whatever you want to call them. It's how much the OS will actually let you, the user, control what happens.

Conflicting port call...the software that calls for a specific port to listen on can lock that port to itself, so if anything else wants to use that port it will be denied. All software that is network capable/aware uses a port to 'listen' on. Database servers, print servers, any kind of server uses them, too. iTunes uses several...besides the standard Internet ports (which are usually NOT allowed to be locked, although I know of software that does).

Rights might be an issue, but as he didn't even find the installation I guess it ended up where he cannot see it. Apple hid the ~/Library folders in 10.7 from users. Without seeing the files, he cannot check the logfile, and if he cannot check the logfile he cannot see what's wrong.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited October 2012
    Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

I haven't checked for this hidden library yet. Thought I'd try installing the new version of Daz. And see what happened. The good news is. I actually saw this CMS thing come up during the installation. The bad news is. That the new version of Daz actually made matters worse. So far. Smart content is still not showing up. But Daz lost almost all my 3rd party purchases in the old content library. Looks like all my Old Daz purchased content is there (though I haven't done a detailed inspection). But most of my 3rd party freebies, and content purchased from rendorosity amongst others has gone missing.

I've tried all the settings for finding content, migrating content, searching known directories. I got several dozen hits out of what should be hundreds.

I'm playing with the content library preferences right now in the hopes of restoring that. Since thats a far larger list of content, than Smart Content

I know, I'm probably just rambling. But I've had a lot of trouble Since Daz went to version 4. I've never had a good handle on proper file structure in these things. But before Daz went to version 4. I could make everything work.

Dale

edited December 1969

Probably have your content directory pointers bad. I've so far never seen any DS installer actually trash the content folders, but if they are bad, like you have /Users/Documents/DAZContent, and then install a new version where the content settings points to /Users/Documents/DAZContent/DAZContent, it will look like the content you had is gone....

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Sorry I'm late to the discussion...

The CMS is located at "/Library/DAZ 3D/Content Management Service" in MacOSx.

If you've installed correctly the Finder will have selections to start the service here (see the image)

Kendall

Screenshot-Untitled_Window.png
    786 x 531 - 141K
    edited December 1969

I think the Daz purchased content is OK. With the exception of Smart Content.

The new problem is with poser format content. Which its finding a few. But far from all. I'm trying something new in the content library preferences. The proper folder is listed there. So I moved it to the top of the poser format list. And Daz is currently working on it. Taking its sweet time too.

The problem here. Is the poser content, I've always left in the Download file

example: FreeAgentDrive/Downloads/Then the individual files from Rendo or wherever.

Now I'm pretty sure that you'll say that, thats not the way its supposed to be done. But it worked perfectly until they went to Daz 4. With Daz 4 it jumbled the content tree. And initialy with Daz 4.5.0.11 whatever, it worked. But with this new version of Daz. Its refusing to find even a fraction of the files listed there.

For me thats a far worse problem than the smart content is. So thats taking priority.

Kendall:

Can't find a file marked Service. And I did a search for this CMS thing earlier with no luck. Heres a picture of my set up.

Daz_screenshot.jpg
    825 x 419 - 66K
    edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    I think the Daz purchased content is OK. With the exception of Smart Content.

The new problem is with poser format content. Which its finding a few. But far from all. I'm trying something new in the content library preferences. The proper folder is listed there. So I moved it to the top of the poser format list. And Daz is currently working on it. Taking its sweet time too.

The problem here. Is the poser content, I've always left in the Download file

example: FreeAgentDrive/Downloads/Then the individual files from Rendo or wherever.

Now I'm pretty sure that you'll say that, thats not the way its supposed to be done. But it worked perfectly until they went to Daz 4. With Daz 4 it jumbled the content tree. And initialy with Daz 4.5.0.11 whatever, it worked. But with this new version of Daz. Its refusing to find even a fraction of the files listed there.

For me thats a far worse problem than the smart content is. So thats taking priority.

Kendall:

Can't find a file marked Service. And I did a search for this CMS thing earlier with no luck. Heres a picture of my set up.

Please note that the area I showed was "Applications" You're looking in the wrong place. The start/stop programs are not with your content but with the application.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kendall

Thats because my Daz Application is not on my Macintosh Harddrive, applications. Its on an external hard drive with all my other artistic software for portability.

I'm showing you the closest match to your description freeagentdrive/Daz3d/Daz64bit/ the rest

The application itself sets on the top layer in the hard drive. And has set there for a couple of years with no problems. Until now.

Thanks
    Dale

edited December 1969

When you installed you must have given a path to where the installer should install the CMS (Content Manager), did you put that into your runtime maybe?

edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Kendall

Thats because my Daz Application is not on my Macintosh Harddrive, applications. Its on an external hard drive with all my other artistic software for portability.

I'm showing you the closest match to your description freeagentdrive/Daz3d/Daz64bit/ the rest

The application itself sets on the top layer in the hard drive. And has set there for a couple of years with no problems. Until now.

Thanks
    Dale

That could be part of the problem. If the CMS service is on the external, and the external is not available for the OS to use during boot then the service would be labeled as invalid. MacOS is a *nix system and certain things MUST be available during boot. I would recommend that when you reinstall (if you do) make sure that the install path for the Content Management Service (it's listed below the content areas during the install) is on your system drive. Also, check to see if the entries for Start DAZ Content Management Service are listed as part of your system's Applications group. These are not executables in the normal sense, but are links to the system starting scripts and may not show as actual files to your Finder.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Totte:

Below you will see a list of what was reset to be installed. I don't see a CMS in that list. And don't believe I've ever seen a CMS in that list.

As far as giving anything a path. I usually let the installer do there thing. It gives a recomended path. And thats where she goes. The only one in this list that didn't show a recomended path was the 3d bridge. Since I don't use that. I just gave it the same path as the rest. The 3d bridge doesn't have anything to do with this problem anyway. I don't think.

Am I missing something that I should have installed. I'll go check my resets to make sure.

DS4 3d Bridge
    DS4 decimator
    DS4 Genesis essentials
    Ds4 GoZ
    Daz Studio 4.5

Thanks
    Dale

edited December 1969

That could be it. I run that setup on my laptop (still DS in /Applications but CMS + Content on a remote drive.
    If the drive is not there on startup I need to launch the CMS manually, but as he cannot find the CMS installation at all, it's hard to seen the logs or run the manual startup scripts that are located in the CMSfolder.

Attached my CMS folder layout.

Skärmavbild_2012-10-28_kl._18_.06_.54_.png
    432 x 359 - 57K
    edited December 1969

Just checked except for the Daz 32 bit. And several instalation guides. This was all that was reset and downloaded.

Dale

edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Just checked except for the Daz 32 bit. And several instalation guides. This was all that was reset and downloaded.

Dale

The CMS is part of the Base DS4.5 installer. There is no external installer for it.

Kendall

edited December 1969

DaleCar said:
    Totte:

Below you will see a list of what was reset to be installed. I don't see a CMS in that list. And don't believe I've ever seen a CMS in that list.

As far as giving anything a path. I usually let the installer do there thing. It gives a recomended path. And thats where she goes. The only one in this list that didn't show a recomended path was the 3d bridge. Since I don't use that. I just gave it the same path as the rest. The 3d bridge doesn't have anything to do with this problem anyway. I don't think.

Am I missing something that I should have installed. I'll go check my resets to make sure.

DS4 3d Bridge
    DS4 decimator
    DS4 Genesis essentials
    Ds4 GoZ
    Daz Studio 4.5

Thanks
    Dale

When you install DAZ Studio 4.5 on one of the first screens is a checkbox "Customize Content manager Installation".

edited December 1969

Yes. I saw that checkbox. Left it alone. I saw no reason to complicate my life more than it already is.

Dale