OT Verizon Wireless look a like spam

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I got a spam email saying it was from Verizon Wireless. It said that I owe a big amount of money as if I had a Verizon account for a year (or more), it never got disconnected even though I have never paid anything during that time. Basically the amount is way too high.
Also it was sent to several people, which would make no sense if it was genuine.
I tried to find out more information at the verizon site (I went to the site by googling Verizon) It said that I did not have an account there that I would have to register for one.

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Verizon won't send you a spam email. They'd use physical mail and collection agencies.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686
    edited December 1969

Well they cannot send me a text message as I do not have a verizon phone.

It is hard to type when I have a feline wanting attention from me. I mean in my face purring up a storm wanting attention.

edited December 1969

You said it was an email, and not a text message.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    You said it was an email, and not a text message.

Yes that was by email. I did get an email in May that I won a thousand dollar Best Buy Gift card, but I do not remember signing up for a contest. Also the web address looked funny.

Why do cats like cup cake wrappers?

edited December 1969

For the same reason babies go for the wrapping paper, probably. I think it's the crinkle sound.

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This Verizon one is doing the rounds. I've received several this week alone and since I live in Australia Verizon doesn't even exist here.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

I was getting a lot of email spam, but I kept unsubscribing and unsubscribing until at this point I get very little spam. In fact I might get just a few a week.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Don't unsubscribe, that just tells the spammers that the email address is active. Just let your spam filter do its job and flush them like the crap they are.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Don't unsubscribe, that just tells the spammers that the email address is active. Just let your spam filter do its job and flush them like the crap they are.

Like I said, I get very little spam now because I did unsubscribe.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Hey, I got an email from Verizon today too. Gmail put it right into my Spam box. Since my phone is on my daughter's account, I went and asked her if she had changed my phone to Verizon. Absolutely not!

It's just spam, Ledhead. Ignore it and delete. I didn't even open mine.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Hey, I got an email from Verizon today too. Gmail put it right into my Spam box. Since my phone is on my daughter's account, I went and asked her if she had changed my phone to Verizon. Absolutely not!

I'm not the one that got the spam, as I said I get very little spam, even in my junk mail folder.

• edited December 1969

I got a bill from AT&T this morning for $1700+. The ruse lacks credibility when AT&T don’t operate in the country in which I live.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    AtticAnne said:

I'm not the one that got the spam, as I said I get very little spam, even in my junk mail folder.

My apologies, Ledhead. I should have said Miss Bad Wolf.

• mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248
    edited June 2012

I had one eariler that appeared to come from paypal saying I need to login to sort out a problem, and only using that link nothing else. But it used my email address not my name, something paypal never does. Plus mailwasher caught that one straight off, so no hassle.

But it's important that you never respond to these. In fact the best way is when you get one is just delete them. If theres an attachment and thats been opened, disconnect from the net and run a full virus scan.

Also beware some spammers/crooks are now smart to use your real name. Often getting it from facebook. So when you get a mail from your bank/ISP, real or otherwise, play it safe and never use links within that email. Instead type the url mannually into your browser.

Post edited by mrsparky on
  • riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

It's spam. I got the same email yesterday. Verizon does send emails if you're signed up for paperless billing, but since our cellphones are in my wife's name, everything goes to her email. If you hold your cursor over the links in the email, but DO NOT click on them, you'll where they go; definitely not to Verizon's site.