Everyday Updo Hair and OOT Hairblending 2.0

3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
edited August 2016 in The Commons

This sounds like an interesting product. I've been wanting to get a hair shader for a while now and have been trying to decide between "UHT2: Ultimate Color" and OOT's product at "the other place". But now that this "Hairblending 2.0" product is out I'm curious about it. Does it have shaders that can be applied to other hair? If so, how does it compare to "UHT2: Ultimate Color" and "OOT IrayPair Hair Shaders"?

Any help you guys can give me is much appreciated! :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

Comments

• pdspds Posts: 593

They are similar in the sense that they offer a wide variety of IRay shaders for hair products. The Everyday Updo & OOT Hairblending 2.0 combines a highly customizable hairstyle with the hairblending, which I think can be applied to other hair products, but I'm not sure. UHT2: Ultimate Hair Color doesn't include any hairstyle product, but it does do a bunch of really amazing things that the OOT product doesn't (as far as I can tell), the most interest of which is the ability to blend actual hairstyle products into a completely new hair. It also lets you convert scalp textures to IRay and recolor them, and keep a hair product's original textures while adding shine, translucency, and bump--pretty cool for older hair products. 

I own a bunch of OOT products from here as well as from Rendo and I plan to buy the new Updo + Hairblending, but you should definitely check out UHT2 as it has some really unique features.

Here's a video that may explain it better: 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

While I'm a fan of OOT products as she does amazing things with hair, I tend to agree with @pds especially if you can only get one of them.  I'd go with the SloshWerks'  UHT2 script.  I will most definitely get the OOT product when I can afford it, but I think UHT2 can help you do things that no other product can even come close to doing.  That being said, if you don't want to deal with scripts which is what UHT2 (there are presets, but the real magic is in the color mixer!) is then the OOT Hairblending is probably a better fit for you as it looks like it is all presets so just clicking buttons should get you the looks you want.  You need to decide exactly what you want to be able to do with hair and then evaluate each product to see if it fits your needs.  I won't be getting the Hairblending anytime soon, but not because it doesn't look like a great product.  It does look useful.  I think UHT2 can do so much more.  From the little I know about you, I'm not sure you'll be happy with something that just has presets.  You like exploring and playing around with stuff too much to get those really unique looks.  {{take it from someone who does the same thing!}}

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2016

While I'm a fan of OOT products as she does amazing things with hair, I tend to agree with @pds especially if you can only get one of them.  I'd go with the SloshWerks'  UHT2 script.  I will most definitely get the OOT product when I can afford it, but I think UHT2 can help you do things that no other product can even come close to doing.  That being said, if you don't want to deal with scripts which is what UHT2 (there are presets, but the real magic is in the color mixer!) is then the OOT Hairblending is probably a better fit for you as it looks like it is all presets so just clicking buttons should get you the looks you want.  You need to decide exactly what you want to be able to do with hair and then evaluate each product to see if it fits your needs.  I won't be getting the Hairblending anytime soon, but not because it doesn't look like a great product.  It does look useful.  I think UHT2 can do so much more.  From the little I know about you, I'm not sure you'll be happy with something that just has presets.  You like exploring and playing around with stuff too much to get those really unique looks.  {{take it from someone who does the same thing!}}

I have the OOT Iray hair product from Rendo and there is one script to run before before you can "start clicking buttons," lol. But, yes, it is pretty simple to use. I've been getting really good results using it. I was trying to decide between it and UHT. OOT's product went on sale first. I still plan on getting UHT, but I've read here somewhere to just go straight to UHT2.

By the way, to make running scripts one-click easy, you can put them in the toolbar. Maclean was kind enough to give me the instructions on how to do this by PM, (almost a year ago! My how time flies, etc...) Here are the steps as outlined by Mac:

1. Right-click any shader (or prop or figure) in the Content pane and choose 'Create Custom Action.

2. Go to Customise (F3) and in the left-hand pane (Actions), click on the plus sign to expand the first entry - 'Custom'. Your new action will be at the bottom of the list.

3. To add it to a toolbar, go to the right-hand pane and click on the 'Tool Bars' tab. Highlight any toolbar in the list, right-click it and choose 'Add Toolbar', then name it. (This is if you want to create a new toolbar. You can also add your action to any of the existing toolbars as described below)

4. Go back to the left-hand pane, highlight your custom action and drag it over onto the toolbar. It should appear under the toolbar name. If it ends up in the wrong toolbar, just drag it out and into the correct one.

5. Before you press Accept, go to the Activities tab in the right-hand pane and expand the plus sign. You should see your toolbar name. If it says 'Off', right-click it and choose 'Enable Toolbar', then press Accept.

You should see your new toolbar appear along with the others. You can drag it to move it around, switch toolbars On/Off in the customise pane, or drag things from one toolbar to another.

This works for anything at all in your content. If you have a figure, prop, light or scene you use a lot, you can create a custom action for it and put it on a toolbar. I find it a lot quicker than hunting for content.

I've got my Iray Uber Shader in my toolbar now, along with the OOT script and several others I use "all the time." Well worth the extra effort to put them in the toolbar, imo.

ETA: Here's a test image I did working with Oh My Brows. That's Kylan Hair using OOT's IrayPair Hair shaders.

Kylan Hair using OOT's IrayPair Hair Shaders, by L'Adair

Kylan_Hair_OOT_iray_hair_shader.jpg
    800 x 960 - 711K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I'll have to try that!  I knew there was a way to do it, but I hadn't figured it out yet.  I have a couple of scripts I use constantly that I'd love to have on the toolbar including the Iray Uber Shader!

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109

Cool product, nice hair.  I like it.  It's easy to use and updates fast in the Aux viewport. smiley  Lots of options.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Thanks for the feedback everyone - It's appreciated. I'll try and get UHT2 when it's on sale then. :)

I still am interested in this OOT Hairblending 2.0 product though - does the shader(s) it come with work with other hair?

• @divamakeup

I wrote an reply in the thread on Tween Ryan.

My 2 cents: If you want to have a product to alter all kinds of hair, you should go fot UHT/UHT2 or IrayPair (from OOT, over at Rendo). OOT Hairblending 2.0 is - at least currently - no standalone product but a feature which adds options to the basic hair it comes with (in that case Everyday Updo). Just like the Hairblending 1.0 which came with older hair products from OOT. I can only recommend Everyday Updo hair though. Great product together with the hairblending option.

edited August 2016

@divamakeup

I wrote an reply in the thread on Tween Ryan.

My 2 cents: If you want to have a product to alter all kinds of hair, you should go fot UHT/UHT2 or IrayPair (from OOT, over at Rendo). OOT Hairblending 2.0 is - at least currently - no standalone product but a feature which adds options to the basic hair it comes with (in that case Everyday Updo). Just like the Hairblending 1.0 which came with older hair products from OOT. I can only recommend Everyday Updo hair though. Great product together with the hairblending option.

Thanks Rod! And sorry I missed your response in the other thread - for some reason I OFTEN don't get notifications from responses. I don't know if that's a forum glitch or if I have to change some setting some where, but I'll often find someone has responded to something I've said WAY later and I was never notified of it. 

I'll definitely be looking into UHT2 when it goes on sale as that seams to be the one most recommend. :) I would get the Updo - but if it doesn't come with shaders that you can use on other hair I can't see paying $18 for a single hair (I've gotten pro bundles for that price lol and on my budget I can't see paying that much if it's only one hair and shaders for just that hair). However if/when it comes on sale I'll for sure get it - as it's quite lovely! :) 

PS - You can now cross out the "The Venezia Suite" from your signature -it's just been released. :) I kind of what it, but I can't stand skulls and the suite has them as a running theme - and spending that much money on something I'd have to go in and do a bunch of reshading/retexturing of ...that's not cool. So I'll have to pass, sadly.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Regarding Everyday Updo, yes, the price is quite steep. Had hoped for a better promo on that one. On the other hand I really like it and it might become one of the hair I most frequently use. So I decided not to wait the two months until it will be offered with 50% discounts and the like.

Yep, saw the "Venezia Suite" in todays sale. Even better another item I am waiting for - Draupadi, a figure from chevybabe25 - is included in this sale as well. So I will get those two for 40% as well. As I've already bought the Aging Morphs and won't get the Modern Villa right now, I might need to change my signature ;-)

Regarding Everyday Updo, yes, the price is quite steep. Had hoped for a better promo on that one. On the other hand I really like it and it might become one of the hair I most frequently use. So I decided not to wait the two months until it will be offered with 50% discounts and the like.

Yep, saw the "Venezia Suite" in todays sale. Even better another item I am waiting for - Draupadi, a figure from chevybabe25 - is included in this sale as well. So I will get those two for 40% as well. As I've already bought the Aging Morphs and won't get the Modern Villa right now, I might need to change my signature ;-)

Yeah, I could totally see using that hair quite often - it's so pretty! :) 

I'll have to check out the "Draupadi" character too. 

edited August 2016
    L'Adair said:

I have the OOT Iray hair product from Rendo and there is one script to run before before you can "start clicking buttons," lol. But, yes, it is pretty simple to use. I've been getting really good results using it. I was trying to decide between it and UHT. OOT's product went on sale first. I still plan on getting UHT, but I've read here somewhere to just go straight to UHT2.

By the way, to make running scripts one-click easy, you can put them in the toolbar. Maclean was kind enough to give me the instructions on how to do this by PM, (almost a year ago! My how time flies, etc...) Here are the steps as outlined by Mac:

1. Right-click any shader (or prop or figure) in the Content pane and choose 'Create Custom Action.

2. Go to Customise (F3) and in the left-hand pane (Actions), click on the plus sign to expand the first entry - 'Custom'. Your new action will be at the bottom of the list.

3. To add it to a toolbar, go to the right-hand pane and click on the 'Tool Bars' tab. Highlight any toolbar in the list, right-click it and choose 'Add Toolbar', then name it. (This is if you want to create a new toolbar. You can also add your action to any of the existing toolbars as described below)

4. Go back to the left-hand pane, highlight your custom action and drag it over onto the toolbar. It should appear under the toolbar name. If it ends up in the wrong toolbar, just drag it out and into the correct one.

5. Before you press Accept, go to the Activities tab in the right-hand pane and expand the plus sign. You should see your toolbar name. If it says 'Off', right-click it and choose 'Enable Toolbar', then press Accept.

You should see your new toolbar appear along with the others. You can drag it to move it around, switch toolbars On/Off in the customise pane, or drag things from one toolbar to another.

This works for anything at all in your content. If you have a figure, prop, light or scene you use a lot, you can create a custom action for it and put it on a toolbar. I find it a lot quicker than hunting for content.

I've got my Iray Uber Shader in my toolbar now, along with the OOT script and several others I use "all the time." Well worth the extra effort to put them in the toolbar, imo.

ETA: Here's a test image I did working with Oh My Brows. That's Kylan Hair using OOT's IrayPair Hair shaders.

Kylan Hair using OOT's IrayPair Hair Shaders, by L'Adair

That script short cut tutorial sounds like it would be a great help! :) Is there a way to access the "Customise (F3)" any other way? My "F" keys don't work. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2016

That script short cut tutorial sounds like it would be a great help! :) Is there a way to access the "Customise (F3)" any other way? My "F" keys don't work. 

It's in the main menu: Click on Window, then Workspace, and finally on Customize.

Screenshot

Menu-item-F3-Customize.jpg
    673 x 286 - 40K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    L'Adair said:

It's in the main menu: Click on Window, then Workspace, and finally on Customize.

Screenshot

Fantastic! Thank you! :D I look forward to using that tutorial to create some short cuts!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,694

I like to combine UHT2 with OOT's Iray Hair product from Rendo... UHT2 is great for mixing colors and is good if you want a dryer frizzier hair look which might look better on seniors, but I add OOT's shine and sometimes base color to give it smoothness and shine and younger looking hair. The new hair blending product I think is just for that one hair product. OOT has many hair products like that, their hair is great, but the blending is just for that particular hair. If you have to pick one, decide if you prefer smoother shinier hair (OOT at Rendo) or a bit more versatile but frizzier/dryer hair with UHT2...

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

Will this hairdo work on g3m figure like Ryan? 

I like to combine UHT2 with OOT's Iray Hair product from Rendo... UHT2 is great for mixing colors and is good if you want a dryer frizzier hair look which might look better on seniors, but I add OOT's shine and sometimes base color to give it smoothness and shine and younger looking hair. The new hair blending product I think is just for that one hair product. OOT has many hair products like that, their hair is great, but the blending is just for that particular hair. If you have to pick one, decide if you prefer smoother shinier hair (OOT at Rendo) or a bit more versatile but frizzier/dryer hair with UHT2...

Yeah, I've noticed in the promo shots that the UHT/UHT2 hair looks a bit dry or has a coarser texture - where as in the OOT IrayPair Hair product promos it looks smoother and shiner (which is a look I tend to like more). 

Will this hairdo work on g3m figure like Ryan? 

If it's made to fit G3F I'm pretty sure you could get it to fit on G3M via autofit. Because Ryan is a tween he might have a smaller skull which might require some slight adjustment to the scale of the hair in the "parameters" tab. 

• Speaking about Iray hair shaders, DestinysGarden Toon Style Hair Shaders recently got an Iray update that has some simply gorgeous effects (asides from some realistic colors). Though I will happily endorse UHT2 for their sheer astounding versatility, these ones deserve some attention. Also, they are in fastgrab http://www.daz3d.com/dg-toon-style-hair-shaders

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391

First of all... thank you all for some nice endorsements for UHT2.  I really do want to comment on OOT's Everyday Updo... I was extremely impressed with that hair when I saw it in the store.  It is beautifully made and the textures are amazing.  I didn't buy it, however, but only because I don't want to get any subliminal influences when looking at competing products... the very reason I don't have Iray HairPair shaders, or DestinysGarden's shader set.  I think those two, as well as UHT2, give our artists so many options for hair in Iray and I believe you would be happy using any of them.  

I would love to get the Everyday Updo without the shaders, lol... but I don't think that is possible.  OOT is really one of the finest hair creators, and I like nearly every style I've seen from them.  

As for putting the scripts in the toolbar... I have gone a step further and created a custom menu on my computer for UHT2.  It has every preset in it as well as the accompanying scripts.  Saves me so much time, especially since I like to use the utilities on other things in my scene, and it is also a great way to add a color layer or make an adjustment at odd times during my scene setup, when going back to the UHT2 folder is not convenient.  I tried to find a way to get this menu to the users, but as yet haven't found a way that makes it work for everyone.

Slosh said:

First of all... thank you all for some nice endorsements for UHT2.  I really do want to comment on OOT's Everyday Updo... I was extremely impressed with that hair when I saw it in the store.  It is beautifully made and the textures are amazing.  I didn't buy it, however, but only because I don't want to get any subliminal influences when looking at competing products... the very reason I don't have Iray HairPair shaders, or DestinysGarden's shader set.  I think those two, as well as UHT2, give our artists so many options for hair in Iray and I believe you would be happy using any of them.  

I would love to get the Everyday Updo without the shaders, lol... but I don't think that is possible.  OOT is really one of the finest hair creators, and I like nearly every style I've seen from them.  

As for putting the scripts in the toolbar... I have gone a step further and created a custom menu on my computer for UHT2.  It has every preset in it as well as the accompanying scripts.  Saves me so much time, especially since I like to use the utilities on other things in my scene, and it is also a great way to add a color layer or make an adjustment at odd times during my scene setup, when going back to the UHT2 folder is not convenient.  I tried to find a way to get this menu to the users, but as yet haven't found a way that makes it work for everyone.

Thanks, Slosh! :D I haven't bought a hair shader yet. I'm still on the fence since I'm on a tight budget and want to make the right choice. 

I love how many options that looks to come with UHT2 as well as the active support of this product - is there a way to get a softer and shinier look with UHT2? Something more like OOT's product shiny hair looks? A softer looking texture look? I hope that makes sense. lol I'm still pretty new to 3D art and don't really have the proper vocabulary yet. 

Probably.  I don't really like the shiny, plastic looking hair, myself, but with the tiling options in UHT2, as well as the 8 shine options I provided, you might be able to do it.  Another idea would be to reduce the strength of the normal map.  Good lighting is a key factor as well... to get shine on hair, there should be lights to reflect.  I'm not sure OOT does it, as I don't have their shaders and only one of their hairstyles, but I don't really see why it can't be done.  I keep hearing that people think UHT2 looks dry, and I've even heard frizzy... I don't see that, myself, but it might be that I'm too close to the product.  I see that OOT hair looks very realistic in some cases, and very artificial (in my opinion) in other cases.  This is not meant as a dig to OOT... the same can be said for my shaders, for sure.  In some situations, it looks very good, in others not so much.  It comes down to the preference of the user, I suppose.

Ya know... I just took another look at my promos, and I guess I can understand what people mean when they talk about it looking dry.  Personally, I like that, but I do now see what people mean.  Seriously, lowering or removing the normal map or bump map should help smooth out the hair panels, giving it more of a contour shine.  With the normal maps as they are, each "individual" strand of hair is reflecting light in the scene, so it is not a sleek panel of hair doing the reflecting.  I'm thinking that is what I did differently than OOT.  I dunno.  I'm trying really hard not to be offended by the "dry" or "frizzy" or "fried" comments.

• Out of TouchOut of Touch Posts: 116
    edited August 2016

Thank you very much for all the kind words in this thread :) I'm honoured to hear that you like my recent works.

Well to answer the question about the OOT Hairblending 2.0; Just like with my older hair products and the included OOT Hairblending sold at another store, these options never were stand-alone. The OOT Hairblending 2.0 is a feature that will be included with my forthcoming hair releases in the Daz store and won't be stand-alone or useable with other hairs as well. I might at some time think about doing something like the IrayPair Hairshader pack (which works for almost any available 3D hair that is made of geometry strands), but this is not on my schedule at the moment.

The OOT Hairblending 2.0 works almost the same as the older Poser versions, however the 2.0 version works almost non destructive and chosen effects can be easily switched with 1-click material presets, which makes it easier to use than my previous Poser Python scripts. Also, the OOT Hairblending 2.0 is a Daz Studio exclusive feature.

I hope this helps a bit :)

Post edited by Out of Touch on
  • I am using Daz 4.8 and the hair always comes out greyish. Do i need to upgrade to 4.9 or am I doing something wrong ?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I'm a fan of OOTs hair products; I returned UHT2, and although I like the first version, version 2 didn't do it for me; one point i saw raised was that hair often looked to thick - and I agree.

It may have been my useage, as sometimes when we get used to performing certain steps to achieve something, we can't get away from that.

Some of the results I see with it are certainly impressive.