Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Stezza said:

@headwax, you certainly have gotten everyone's creative juices flowing by the looks of these awesome WiPs being posted.. a real pleasure to go through the thought processes of everyone...

It's good when you look forward every morning to visit these threads to see what's new yes

especially on rainy days and Wednesdays.. ( hump day in Oz )

yes it's good to see the talent that lurks within :) and without! Hump day always gets giggles around here, like when I go into the bakers shop and ask for a bun.....

Stezza said:

Lots of good and funny ideas ya all, very busy contest ...

I'll jump in with mine: maybe a bit too "dark" for some, but, what the hell, let's have some fun devil

Here is the general shape of the tombstone angel 

It's pretty clean at the moment. Dark is good. Darker is gooderer.

Sad said:

you just gave me an idea for my third entry

no not stealing yours but monuments of death made me think the only way I can get Genesis 3 in is as obj statues so going to do something along those lines.

don't hold back Wendy, metaphors abound in imagery :)

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

@headwax, is it valid to use a non-Latin alphabet?, and what about non-Arabic numerals?

These are attirian alphabet and numerals.

Carrara9.png
    1280 x 960 - 103K
    CarrarainCarrara.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 217K

Hya Alberto, welcome!

That's a good question,

I think so, 'yes'. eg I did a play with sign language a few pages back.

Mind you, the idea is to advertise that Carrara exists, and that it is an amazing piece of software

so we are trying to get the words Carrara 9 in a position where they can be seen.

So it is a disntinct advantage if the words can be read/understood by a majority of the audience - if you get my meaning :) :)

edited August 2016

Raiders of the Salient Software (4000 pixels wide - feel free to click!)

temple.jpg
    4000 x 2283 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Head Wax - I'm loving the concept there - and the execution of it is wonderful as well!

• head wax said:

Lots of good and funny ideas ya all, very busy contest ...

I'll jump in with mine: maybe a bit too "dark" for some, but, what the hell, let's have some fun devil

Here is the general shape of the tombstone angel 

It's pretty clean at the moment. Dark is good. Darker is gooderer.

Dark is just the way I like it, here is more progress on the model, mesh is more dense now, cuz it's gonna be displacement painted in Carrara smiley

TombStone2.jpg
    707 x 800 - 188K

thanks PhilW :)

@FifthElement - looking forward to seeing how you distress this

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Hey Head wax did you get this advertised in the commons?

Hah, no ! Thanks for reminding me! I did it at Rendo, there is a French forum I used to post the challenges at as well. But I gave up on them as I had zilch response ;(

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I added it to the thread for Daz-sponsored contests - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1493931/#Comment_1493931

But there is no dedicated thread in the Commons that I am aware of.

Thanks, will do in morn!

• head wax said:

thanks PhilW :)

@FifthElement - looking forward to seeing how you distress this

Not, yet, lol, first, slapping some textures on it in SubstancePainter ...wink

TombStoneTexSP.jpg
    915 x 675 - 137K
  • OK, I added some text (Carrara 9 and R.I.P.) onto textures, here is how it looks now ... smiley

TexturesTest.jpg
    680 x 988 - 176K
    CarraraTombStone.jpg
    762 x 882 - 169K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited August 2016

Thanks!  smiley  I am embracing the toonishness.  Somehow, if I am rendering a propeller-drive blimp surrounded by birdmen, not too much time needs to be spent on whether the unconscious mind will pick up on deviations from reality. LOL.  Let whimsy reign!  (for this particular project - for other projects photorealism matters yes  ).

head wax said:

@diomede, hats off to you, not only your modelling abilities, but to your wonderful sense of humour in making your characters! and that's a wonderful uv map :)

Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

OK, I added some text (Carrara 9 and R.I.P.) onto textures, here is how it looks now ... smiley

I may be a bit more subtle with my statues ....

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

Yes, I understand it. 

You gave me an idea!

Thank you.

head wax said:

Hya Alberto, welcome!

That's a good question,

I think so, 'yes'. eg I did a play with sign language a few pages back.

Mind you, the idea is to advertise that Carrara exists, and that it is an amazing piece of software

so we are trying to get the words Carrara 9 in a position where they can be seen.

So it is a disntinct advantage if the words can be read/understood by a majority of the audience - if you get my meaning :) :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited August 2016

well not quite going where I want, this just the prop not the scene

not really going where I want.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 405K
    a.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 474K
    b.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 430K
    Genesis3and beyond.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 414K
    d.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 858K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    Sad said:

well not quite going where I want, this just the prop not the scene

Looks impressive!

• Here we go again ...

Adding terrain and the tree out of the way, just to drop the shadow on the scene smiley

CarraraTerrain.jpg
    1330 x 650 - 250K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited August 2016

Wow! Cool stuff goes on in the very short time I've been away! Wow!

<picks jaw back up off the ground>

I did some tweaking last night as my eyelids were getting heavier and rendered the result as I drifted into a peaceful slumber. Woke up with ideas on how I wanted to change the scene around a bit - so I did. 

The glowing veins of magic in Chaos' hand is a primitive sphere with another Enhance C (DCG plugin) shader example on it that I've then tweaked a bit. The charges radiating from it were patiently made using the Lightning FX tool in Howler. The original result had them shooting out way beyond where they stop now, and I thought that it added too much chaos to the scene, so I drew a shape-selection around it, blurred the selection and inverted it, then composited the original image back over the selection, removing the parts of lightning I didn't want. It takes a lot longer to explain the process than it takes to perform! LOL

I've shown these light cones before... they're made using a gel in a spot light, and then using that gel as fog in the light cone effect. I really like how these cones look  - especially compared to cones that don't use a gel as fog. Though I've had success with regular cones before - using fine adjustments between the cone effect's falloff and it's intensity, etc., 

CARRARA 9 is still using Thunderdome shader example from DCG's Enhance C, but this time I've extended the text's depth and replaced the front face of the text with a red glow shader. I really liked the effect, even though it ended up getting obsured by volumetric fog, lighting... and, most of all, a glowing ball of magic! LOL The text model actually ties into the 14MU Link scifi scenery beautifully enough to just leave it there for future animations. I won't... but I was really happy with how the shapes all worked with each other. Really cool!

Had a lot of fun with this one, though I'm not sure if I'll enter it, due to its being extremely busy.

Carrara 9 03f.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 948K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Wendy that is wonderful!! No kidding :)

Dart - You really need to do this for a living and start lifting rocks just for fun !

FifthElement - youa re in your element ..... sorry couldnt resist. That's such a neat piece.

I finally made the thread in The Commons.

The commons thread is here if you would like to share your entries!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/108776/carrara-challenge-27-carrara-9-give-us-a-sign-all-carrara-users-welcome-big-prizes

Hmmm... if I do enter it, I'll have to fix that horrible jpeg compression that must have distorted the nice, even red of the text glow.

Also, It's kind of a bummer that the ball of magic hides the fact that there are twenty-four soldiers in this shot. They look really cool after I spent more time tweaking the replicators (just the plain replicator works perfect for this stuff) but Chaos looked really odd in the image when he wasn't doing anything. 

Also, it's been super-simple and fast using my new techniques for lighting - using light-linking to major degree as opposed to attempting to set realistic lighting throughout the scene. Render times drop substantially while everything gets lit more the way I need them for the shot - and it's really easy to tweak when things don't look right. 

edited August 2016

Hi Dart, hope you don'ty mind, I used your work as ane xaple in the commons thread

Also, since there was no extra geometry extending back from the top of the final A in Carrara, there was no Thunderdome shader coming out to the top of the letters - especially noticeable on that last A. So to get that shader up there, I plopped in a simple plane primitive and put the Mirror shader on it from the "Basic" category in the browser. 

Well, after several test renders - looking at other things entirely, there was always something just not quite right about that part - though it still looked MUCH better than it did without it. So I eventually copied over the color and alpha channels from Thunderdome over to the Mirror shader, since the mirror had nothing in either channel anyways - that did the trick, in my opinion! Now it looks like real geometry - just like the rest of the Thunderdome shader results. Picking apart these Enhance C shader examples can be quite a trip... but it will eventually teach me a whole new realm of material creation, once I get the hang of how all of these things work... I'm lovin' it!!!

edited August 2016

Dart

really good to see these enhance C shaders in context, thank you

Wow again... Stezza, Phil, Misty, Diomede, Fifth Element, Alberto, Head Wax, Wendy... Fantastic! Loving what I'm seeing!!! Ouch!

head wax said:

I brought in one of Dart and Rosie's nemesis, Chaos, followed by his usual entourage... as nasty as he is... he's still a friggin' coward! I'm not happy with this, though I think it still has some merits. It's going through a major facelift as we speak - it may even just hit the trash can to make way for something different! ;)

CARRARA 9 is using Eric's DCG example shader Thunderdome - the color comes from lights.

Dart, I must say how wonderful this looks. Fantasmagorical atmosphere - and thanks for the description of method.

Thanks HW! Fantasmagorical is a great way to describe this scene! Thanks for that! 

I accidentally missed a whole bunch of posts somehow... forum taking me to the very end - I'm glad I decided to look back. 

diomede, can I say that I am always thrilled with your modeling ability? Can I? I really dig how you post the image of the UV Mapping as well... so inspiring - especially during these days when so many people are hungry for Genesis 3 capabilities... and you come along with these really nice models! I Love It! All of you Carrara modelers... Bravo! You all never cease to amaze me. I love modeling in Carrara too... but my stuff is usually just little trinkets to add to a scene's background when it's not just editing content - either overall shape to fit my characters or adding morphs to them - often both. When I look back on my work for my animations that are still eagerly waiting being shown on these pages, I actually find that I'm Constantly usinf the modeling tools in Carrara - a lot more than I even realize... which I think is absolutely magical about Carrara.

Fifth Element also comes in with the occasional mind-blower killer piece of modeling! I think you use Silo, don't you? I don't really care which modeler you use. Custom models are custom models. Techniques are so similar from one to another... it's the mind behind the mouse that makes the big difference. Love your stuff! Headstone? I hope you don't think that Carrara is dead! LOL

Misty, you're always trying pretty much every darned little thing that you run across in Carrara, and then write about your "thinkin's" in your cool penny/thoughts thread. I love that! It's very inspiring! When you ask questions that I know the answer to (or think I do) and nobody's given that answer, I try (if I have time) to go into Carrara to make sure that what I'm saying is accurate - at least in my head. So these questions are fantastic for me to revisit functions that I might overlook - but also to visit functions that I've been ignoring for some reason or another. 

Anyways, "Just playing with Modifiers" is awesome! Playing with them is what gives us experience with the power that they hold! I even forgot to mention that I've used bulge a few times in my latest render - in the text and in the mirror above it. 

Phil, you're always an inspiration! It's really fun to have you joining in on the fun! Replicating cool custom tid bits, booleansing wood, I always love hearing about your scenes and how you put them together! On your heels in this is our Stezza, whom seems to have been burning up the contests a bit these days! Stezza, you're really putting out some amazing Carrara renders - and not just in the Carrara forum - which I think is awesome! Spread the word of the big C! But not just through words... by showing Kick Ass Ankle images!!! Bravo!!!

Alberto, Glad to see you joining in!!! Like Head Wax, I agree that you might want to consider legibility... but the big thing is that, if it's really cool, people may vote for it no matter what it says - or whether they can understand the letters - especially if you explain ther meaning/letters used, etc., in the description of the entry, when that time comes. Just go for it - what ever you think will look really cool! For example, I really like the texture you've used, and the shape of those letters! Put that with a really intriguing scene and tell me that it's sandscript for Carrara 9... I'd vote for it just for the Cool factor if I liked the image better than someone else's!

Andrew, I'm a HUGE Indiana Jones fan, but that has nothing to do with how much I really love thise image! Very great render, Sir! I Love it!

...and then along comes Wendy with an absolute home run! Damn I like that! Girl... you never cease to amaze me! Damn that's good!

Here we go again ...

Adding terrain and the tree out of the way, just to drop the shadow on the scene smiley

Really cool how you keep the suspense! ;)

thanks Dart, I used your fog primitive trick, thanks!

agree on Wendy's work, yes a home run, much more talented than she looks ;) (small joke Wendy) 

head wax said:

Hi Dart, hope you don'ty mind, I used your work as ane xaple in the commons thread

I'm Honored! Oh... I better go see what you wrote first! It might have been something like... "C'mon and join! You can easily beat this guy!" LOL

head wax said:

Dart

really good to see these enhance C shaders in context, thank you

Pleasure. I'm starting to make more use of whatever examples shaders I have for these wonderful plugins, so that I can start taking them apart and see how these plugin designers are making these crazy-wonderful shaders - so that I can start building cool new materials from scratch using them. I love building shaders from scratch using what Carrara gives us out of the box... having all of these extra choices in the drop-downs has so far been just a bit daunting for me... especially since I never really have any time! 

Enhance C has an enormous amount of possibilities, with only a short few samples. Shader Ops 1 and 2 don't come with samples (I don't think... I better look into that!). Inagoni provided some nice samples through his site and I also have Ringo's veloute shaders from DP shaders set III. Speaking of Ringo, what a shader genius he is! Where has he been? I have a LOT of his stuff!