Modelling trousers for Genesis...

2»

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

You have a UV map, right? Just take the .obj into an app - such as Hex or UVmapper - the Classic version is free - make a template of the UV map and in a 2d editor - Photoshop or Gimp (also free) make as many different textures as your heart desires and package them with the .duf asset.

Rigging clothing for Genesis is very simple - I gave a pretty detailed explanation a couple of posts back, on page 1.:)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I agree with JimmyC regarding doing the textures in Studio - wait till you are finished rigging to do that, so you can better see what is happening.

I think your problem stems from mixing exporting as .obj and using the bridge - your proportions will be all over the place. Also making clothing for a morphed Genesis needs extra steps to get it to fit - not something you want to try as a beginner. However, if you really want to, I can give you the steps. If you model to the basic Genesis and rig it using the transfer utility, the clothing will take on the morphs and will change to fit whatever Genesis figure you morph it to - that is the magic of Genesis.

Bear in mind that the bridge is only to be used to make morphs.

The standard process for making clothes is :-

1. Use the basic Genesis, with smoothing set to basic. Export as .obj, using the default Daz Studio scale.
    2. import into Hex using a scale of 1. Weld all the parts into one and delete all materials - I keep a modified copy on hand for this.
    3. Lock Genesis so that you won't be able to inadvertently select verts. Be sure not to move Genesis from the default loaded position while modelling.
    4. Model your clothing.
    5. Delete Genesis and export the clothing as .obj at a scale of 1.
    6. Load the basic Genesis in Studio and import the clothing .obj at the Daz studio scale.
    7. With the clothing .obj selected, r-click on the scene tab, select assets, transfer utility. In the dialogue, under source, select genesis and under target select your clothing. Choose the projection template. That's about it. Do the shape change under shaping and the pants will follow suit.

There are a some different options for making clothes to fit to a non-basic Genesis shape - rather progress to that than start straight away.

You don't need to scrap what you have already done - proceed as per steps 1 to 3 above, then import your saved .obj, scale to fit the full figure, make any changes you need to, then go on from step 5.

Your'e doing pretty good so far - keep going:)

hi Roygee, I know you are much more expert in hexagon than I am so I'm curious why you are only using the bridge for morphs? I've been using it for clothing with no problems I've actually had more problems using it to create morphs for clothing. Could you elaborate on the problems with using it for original items?
    Thanks

Pen

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK I've rigged the pants and everything seems fine (at the moment)

I now want to parcel this basic set of pants up so that I can install it as a complete package - much the same as if I were to offer it to another person to use.

What exactly do I have to package up - without the genesis character

OBJ, DUF, PNG's etc? I don't want to use the existing positions because they are in my development working folder at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the help.....

i'd post a picture of the results but Daz Studio just crashed rendering 3 figures in a picture... Oh Dear (or words to that effect!)

edited December 1969

Hi Pendraia:)

Firstly, I'm no expert at Hex - although I have picked up quite a lot over the years.

In this particular case, as in many such cases where new users are trying to make clothing, they mix the two - import the figure as .obj and send the completed clothing to Studio via the bridge. This causes the proportions to be totally off the map.

Why I personally prefer to use .obj import and export. Firstly, I don't use Genesis for anything because it still doesn't work well in Carrara. I know that there is no problem creating clothing for Genesis via the bridge, if you do your UV mapping in Hex. I don't - much prefer to use UU3d, for which I need an .obj file and this must be done before fitting and rigging. Unless I'm missing something - I don't know Studio all that well - you still need an .obj for making clothing for pre-Genesis figures?

Secondly, I have my mannekins all set up and ready to use, welded, stripped of mats and coloured brightly so I can easily see any poke-through.

Thirdly, I like to keep an .obj file of any keepers I make in Hex, because it is a universal format - in case Hex decides to throw a hissy-fit and not open it again:)

I've only once tried making morphed clothing for Genesis, just as an exercise. Took several attempts, because what fit correctly in Hex didn't fit correctly in Studio - finally got it right, though - then it wouldn't fit in Carrara, so I gave up on it.

@ tdrd - well done - hope to see a final version soon:)

What you'd need to package it up is the .duf, UV template/s, and any textures you've made and maybe a render. The .obj is not necessary, but you can include that for good measure. If you are gong to distribute, include a .txt file showing authorship, any restrictions on use you want to make and any instructions you want to include. Zip all that together and post it on ShareCG or similar.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the detailed response...

Roygee said:

Firstly, I'm no expert at Hex - although I have picked up quite a lot over the years.Compared to me you're an expert ; )

Roygee said:

In this particular case, as in many such cases where new users are trying to make clothing, they mix the two - import the figure as .obj and send the completed clothing to Studio via the bridge. This causes the proportions to be totally off the map.Agreed mixing them is not a good idea.
    Roygee said:

Why I personally prefer to use .obj import and export. Firstly, I don't use Genesis for anything because it still doesn't work well in Carrara. I know that there is no problem creating clothing for Genesis via the bridge, if you do your UV mapping in Hex. I don't - much prefer to use UU3d, for which I need an .obj file and this must be done before fitting and rigging. Unless I'm missing something - I don't know Studio all that well - you still need an .obj for making clothing for pre-Genesis figures?I mainly use Genesis these days. : )
    I bought UV Layout (the pro version) at the start of the year I was finding UV mapping in Hex to be very irritating as I would keep mucking it up.
    I've only mapped a few things in it so far and I normally export the object from DS. I send it from hex to DS and then save it as an object before using the transfer utility. Mainly because if you use the transfer utility before saving it and then reimporting, it strange things happen in the scene tab.
    I was using the bridge for Gen 4 figures with no problem probably because I've been exporting to object from DS. Where you don't need the object is once you save it in the new file format as the format contains the object file(at least that's my understanding of it) So you don't include the object file when you package the item up for release. You do need it prior to that though(again that's my understanding and may contain errors)
    Roygee said:

Secondly, I have my mannekins all set up and ready to use, welded, stripped of mats and coloured brightly so I can easily see any poke-through.That sounds like a good idea. I'm still working out what my work flow is going to be so haven't done anything like that yet...

Thirdly, I like to keep an .obj file of any keepers I make in Hex, because it is a universal format - in case Hex decides to throw a hissy-fit and not open it again:)

I use the incremental save and save regularly for the same reason. Touch wood...I have been able to open the prior file if that has happened.

I've only once tried making morphed clothing for Genesis, just as an exercise. Took several attempts, because what fit correctly in Hex didn't fit correctly in Studio - finally got it right, though - then it wouldn't fit in Carrara, so I gave up on it.

Getting used to the way that smoothing works is definitely interesting. I've had a few issues with it but mainly with Gen 3 or Gen 4 stuff that I've autofitted and want to create morphs for.

@ tdrd - well done - hope to see a final version soon:)
    Congrats tdrd...I haven't tried doing pants yet!

What you'd need to package it up is the .duf, UV template/s, and any textures you've made and maybe a render. The .obj is not necessary, but you can include that for good measure. If you are gong to distribute, include a .txt file showing authorship, any restrictions on use you want to make and any instructions you want to include. Zip all that together and post it on ShareCG or similar. If you check in the tutorial thread that Sickle Yield did on rigging a skirt (there are links around the place) she lists what you need to include and how to set up, IIRC you also need to include the information from the data folder.
    edited December 1969

Oh dear - how could i forget something as important as the data file ...shouldn't post at 4am:)

The data thing is my favourite bugbear with Studio. I do a lot of experimenting and incremental saving of files - few of which are keepers - but it fills up the data file for each scene, so I then have to go in, find and weed out the data files or my HD would be full in no time!

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Oh dear - how could i forget something as important as the data file ...shouldn't post at 4am:)

The data thing is my favourite bugbear with Studio. I do a lot of experimenting and incremental saving of files - few of which are keepers - but it fills up the data file for each scene, so I then have to go in, find and weed out the data files or my HD would be full in no time!

Yeah...that could be a problem. It's easy to forget at 4am. I have the same problem when I post first thing before having my coffee...; )
  • tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Call me thick if you like but I'm none the wiser.

I want to put my completed trousers in the content library complete with material and riggind so that I can simply select and apply it to another model without having to rig and attach materials every time.
    Can anyone tell me what directories I place what so that I can get everything in the contents Library please.

BTW is there any way I can copy and paste a charater fully clothed to a new one in the same file without having to start from scratch each time?

Oh and for those interested - here's a picture of my first attempt at an item of clothing......
    I wish i'd managed to get a bit of bump detail in there for the cloth but it'll do for a first attempt.

TrousersDone.jpg
    1140 x 892 - 197K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    Call me thick if you like but I'm none the wiser.

I want to put my completed trousers in the content library complete with material and riggind so that I can simply select and apply it to another model without having to rig and attach materials every time.
    Can anyone tell me what directories I place what so that I can get everything in the contents Library please.

BTW is there any way I can copy and paste a charater fully clothed to a new one in the same file without having to start from scratch each time?

Oh and for those interested - here's a picture of my first attempt at an item of clothing......
    I wish i'd managed to get a bit of bump detail in there for the cloth but it'll do for a first attempt.

If you followed the steps for saving them listed above, they should be there...

I made a folder under People > Genesis > Clothing > mjc to save any clothing items I make. When I go through the saving process, that's where I direct it to save the item to. I made the folder 'outside DS' first, but when I started DS, after I made it, it showed up, but was empty...like it should have been. After that, saving items to it populated it with no problems. I save each item to its own folder (I think that requires a product name in the save dialog...so if you make other material settings or morphs or something and save it with same product name, it will all go to the same place).

As to getting it to show in the 'Smart Content'...that requires making sure you've got metadata for the item. If you save through DS and the CMS running, it should create at least rudimentary metadata (I think). It may be in a 'generic' spot...like 'uncategorized' or something and not under clothing, though.

As to 'bump detail'...play with the strength and the min/max values.

I don't think, other than saving a set up character as a 'scene' you can. Yes, you can save all the settings and materials for the character itself as a preset, but it won't load the clothing or hair that way.

You set up a blank scene, don't worry about lights or poses or anything else. Set up the character, clothe it, put the hair and what not on it. Then save it as a scene. When you want to load it, use the Merge option and it will bring in the fully clothed, ready to pose character (usually at the world center, because that's where it was saved at and is the best place to start from).