Realistic Renders...NOT!! 11 "Hello Rogerbee!"

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited October 2012

Rogerbee said:

Oh, about PP2012 throwing hissy fits, it turns out that it was having 'multi threaded bending' turned on that was causing problems. You'll find it in your general preferences, it it is on when you find it, turn it off.

CHEERS!

...good tip, thanks. Won't be able to do anything with DSON until the new system is up as that is where 2012 is going to be installed.

However 4.5 seems to be behaving much better on the old 'book than I expected (was able to fix the Directory mapping issues, for some odd reason all my Genesis content was installing to a desktop folder and appending the correct path to it - weird).

So beginning to have a bit more fun again. Here's Leela's elfin friend Tracey which is my first successful use of GenerationX to transfer all the Steph4 morphs). My misgivings about Genesis are rapidly fading as the clothing I used is from the 3DU Toon characters Jasmin and Amy. Never could do that before without a healthy dose of XD or WW

...also had a bit of fun with the Fabricator. With all the freebie textures available I'm beginning to wonder if I really need to buy pre-made texture sets for clothing anymore. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

tracey_genesis_2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 457K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited December 1969

Oh, my -- The Fabricator. :-) That's one of my favorite products.

DSON is great -- but some things still call for DS4. So I'm glad we can post anything here.
    Particularly since I just won a great set of Lantios lights that I'm anxious to try out.

Sorry for the garbled message earlier. I was trying to do too many things at once.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

I am glad to see the thread back too :) (and that fact we can post pics now and have avatars again)

I'm still using D|S3a and probably will for the foreseeable future. Me and D|s4x do not get along well, and i want to make the jump to poser but that hasn't happened yet. I did grab that new whatever for poser that was released while it's free though to use genesis for that day i do put down the dough for poser 'lol'.

That's why this was always my favorite thread ever since i joined the forums way back when (wow has it been 4-5years already?). It was for everything out there that didn't fit a category. realistic/cartoon, poser,daz,ect.

Everything i learned about this hobby has been from the various incarnations of this thread :) so i am glad it survived the "dark times" (that's how I'm referring to the forum switch)

(i still hate the smileys of this new forum though they drive me insane, they look smug instead of smiling "lol")

Ok i'm done rambling. i have caffeine and sitting in front of the keyboard that is never a good combination.

edited December 1969

...playing around with Nata tonight.

...ended up with a new character when all was said & done.

red_rocket_cover.jpg
    565 x 799 - 717K
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...good tip, thanks. Won't be able to do anything with DSON until the new system is up as that is where 2012 is going to be installed.

However 4.5 seems to be behaving much better on the old 'book than I expected (was able to fix the Directory mapping issues, for some odd reason all my Genesis content was installing to a desktop folder and appending the correct path to it - weird).

So beginning to have a bit more fun again. Here's Leela's elfin friend Tracey which is my first successful use of GenerationX to transfer all the Steph4 morphs). My misgivings about Genesis are rapidly fading as the clothing I used is from the 3DU Toon characters Jasmin and Amy. Never could do that before without a healthy dose of XD or WW

...also had a bit of fun with the Fabricator. With all the freebie textures available I'm beginning to wonder if I really need to buy pre-made texture sets for clothing anymore. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

Fitting clothing is something I have yet to get into. There is a product called Poser Place Outfitter that may help, so when I get some time I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

I am glad to see the thread back too :) (and that fact we can post pics now and have avatars again)

I'm still using D|S3a and probably will for the foreseeable future. Me and D|s4x do not get along well, and i want to make the jump to poser but that hasn't happened yet. I did grab that new whatever for poser that was released while it's free though to use genesis for that day i do put down the dough for poser 'lol'.

That's why this was always my favorite thread ever since i joined the forums way back when (wow has it been 4-5years already?). It was for everything out there that didn't fit a category. realistic/cartoon, poser,daz,ect.

Everything i learned about this hobby has been from the various incarnations of this thread :) so i am glad it survived the "dark times" (that's how I'm referring to the forum switch)

(i still hate the smileys of this new forum though they drive me insane, they look smug instead of smiling "lol")

Ok i'm done rambling. i have caffeine and sitting in front of the keyboard that is never a good combination.

I don't actually know how long this thread has been going, this is only the second one I've done since I took it over from Wolfie.

Nice!

CHEERS!

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

hey great, likes a lot. Another urban airborn ;)

hg2.jpg
    600 x 900 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Nice,

Looks like Felix Baumgartner has some competition!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

hey great, likes a lot. Another urban airborn ;)
    ...sweet..

edited October 2012

Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Nice!

CHEERS!
    ...Originally planned to use Stonemason's "The Big City" but alas it was too "Big" for when I added the character it crashed the app before I was even able to render. Photo backdrops are a nice fallback for "big" scenes but it is important to get the lighting angle and intensity to match. Postwork in an app like PSP (which I used) or PS helps a bit too.

Also make sure the photo used is either your own or from a royalty free site. I use StockXChng. Singing up is free and they have loads of nice photos that are free for personal and even commercial use.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • edited December 1969

Here one with Genesis in Poser 2012..
    Skin is Oxygen: MASK By: Syyd @ RDNA

I used it on both the male and female Genesis..

Masked.jpg
    899 x 596 - 44K
    edited December 1969

Very nice,

That's one thing I do like about Gensesis, that the textures can be universal.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

not realistic 'cos you don't see dogs in bars like you used to *wonders why*

G211012.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 303K
    edited December 1969

Great render though,

I love the lighting and the reflections in the floor.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

The Bar Interior Is a top notch 3D model, it almost renders itself :)

edited December 1969

It's really nice, where did you get it?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

It's really nice, where did you get it?

CHEERS!

here http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bar-interior

edited December 1969

Nice, that's bookmarked!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...I have it but need to wait until I have more processing power to render a scene with it.

edited December 1969

That's something I don't worry about now. I have a quad core i5, a dedicated Radeon card and 6gb of RAM to play with now.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Ok,

I decided to test out Syyd's Oxygen texture and the various IDL setups. The texture is the same, just the lighting is different.

The first is with IDL Studio, the second with the Lamp Emitters, the third with IDL 360 and lastly Daylight Studio. I think the more interesting of the renders is the IDL Studio one.

But what do you think?

CHEERS!

Miss-America-V5-IDL-Dayligh.jpg
    588 x 600 - 33K
    Miss-America-V5-IDL-360.jpg
    588 x 600 - 32K
    Miss-America-V5-IDL-Lamp-Em.jpg
    588 x 600 - 32K
    Miss-America-V5-IDL-Studio.jpg
    588 x 600 - 32K
    edited December 1969

It looks like the original IDL Studio is still up there with the best, as these two show. That's Danae's Lyon with Loreley Hair and the closest I could get to my old Cassandra morph with V5 and Genesis.

CHEERS!

V5-Cassandra-02.jpg
    588 x 600 - 51K
    V5-Cassandra-01.jpg
    588 x 600 - 44K
    edited October 2012

Still toying with Caisson's set up, here I switched the main light from Spot to Infinite with the intensity set to 50% and I remembered to uncheck the IDL Cove as a light emitter.

CHEERS!

V5-Dublin-50.jpg
    588 x 600 - 43K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Hmm,

Can you be accused of spamming when it's your own thread!?

Anyway, to herald the arrival of the newer IDL packages next week (that's when I'll buy them), here's the star of the original one, but with a V5 and Oxygen twist.

CHEERS!

Vanilla-Sky-V5.jpg
    588 x 600 - 32K
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

OK let's not leave you alone on your thread

I've never been convinced by poser skin renders, even with IDL or only on some few case but rather with some architectural renders (sponza comes to my mind). I ve looked at many EZskin renders too and even if if brings something to the renders, it doesn't really trick my eye. There is usually too much SSS and like my own renders, the light doesn't seem to be right

I've began to implement my own skin shader a few month ago, then stopped as I was at a point where I didn't have any idea to get it better then worked a bit on it again last week and had a beginning of a result with a custom HDR lightset. Here is what I've been up to till now. There are still some little things that bug me like the hands but I'm close to something correct. It's just Genesis with the default LanaRR Skin. One HDR with uberenvironnement and one distant light

Render_58_3.png
    950 x 1067 - 452K
    edited December 1969

Yeah, it's horses for courses really.

I actually have never been overly impressed with DS renders myself. Yours does look really good though, but, it does sound like it took an awful lot of work to get it there. That said, it wouldn't be fun if it didn't.

Still, hey ho, such is life, there will always be folk that like one over another, but at the end of the day we can step back and just appreciate the art, no matter what it took to get there, though I do draw the line at cutting my ear off!

Below are retakes on the guys a few pages back.

CHEERS!!

PS (Poser will get Reality soon, now that does look impressive!)

M5-Shaw-Tougher.jpg
    588 x 600 - 36K
    M5-Hunk-New.jpg
    588 x 600 - 29K
    Buddy-2-M5-New.jpg
    588 x 600 - 34K
  • Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

In fact I've got luxrender with blender but I don't render a lot with it because I'm much too impatient to wait and I don't want to spend xxx $ to get a big GC to render. Beside Lux, there are also some other good renderers that are not well known too. On a comparable level there is also Cycles renderer that does a good job but that is also blender only. The good thing with reality/lux is that you've got spectral lighning and a material database of realistic materials based on real physical measurements. So the lightning does look better. However I must say that what really impressed me lastly was rather some bryce renders. I began to learn bryce but I'm no good at it yet

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

a quick one of genesis in daz studio 4.5 pro

mdl2.jpg
    1401 x 1800 - 754K
    edited December 1969

Very nice!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

In fact I've got luxrender with blender but I don't render a lot with it because I'm much too impatient to wait and I don't want to spend xxx $ to get a big GC to render. Beside Lux, there are also some other good renderers that are not well known too. On a comparable level there is also Cycles renderer that does a good job but that is also blender only. The good thing with reality/lux is that you've got spectral lighning and a material database of realistic materials based on real physical measurements. So the lightning does look better. However I must say that what really impressed me lastly was rather some bryce renders. I began to learn bryce but I'm no good at it yet

I also have Vue, mainly as it had integration with Poser, all the renders I've seen with that look really impressive. I haven't actually done much with it yet though. Maybe I'm still trying to get as much as I can out of Poser. Reality will be the lift it needs, I don't mind things taking time if the end result is worth it.

Below is my latest with Mec4D's Eli.

CHEERS!

M5-Eli.jpg
    588 x 600 - 38K
    edited December 1969

Homebrew Poser shaders using the Daz Aged displacement maps and some Ultra aged morphs from RDNA

CATWOS.jpg
    1283 x 1500 - 247K
This discussion has been closed.