WINDOWS 8 ?

MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hey Guys, just switched to WIN8 , love it
all programs working for me so much faster DS and the rest ..
Finally my desktop is clean and everything organized , I am used to my Android Tablet
and also love the APP for WIN8
for the limited time they have low cost upgrade to WIN8 Pro on the microsoft website
and I am about to upgrade also my older dual core laptop tomorrow
The Win8 Pro allow you to use the desktop the old way as it was in Win7
but I prefer the new way as it is so much easy to access all my stuff, renders and files

DS4.5 is working so much faster now , I guess the new upgrade installation made a good clean up in the system lol
no issues so far

now I wanna see DAZ3D App store for WIN8 , that would be great

Cath

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited December 1969

Are there videos I can watch for the Windows 7 Desktop? I can't find them anywhere.

Because I'm not going anywhere NEAR it unless I can retain that kind of functionality...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Because I'm not going anywhere NEAR it unless I can retain that kind of functionality...

I'll add that I'm not going anywhere near it anyway. It's all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC? All I ever see in the adverts and tech show programmes is how easy it is to whizz around a whole lot of blobby icons, just like on a phone screen. So what else does it do? And how much of the functionality is geared towards driving a touchscreen, like on a phone or tablet?

Nope, I'm giving Win8 a miss, just like I did Vista. Besides, I've only had Win7 for a couple of years now and I have no intention of upgrading — to me it's "WinXP done right" and the new OS is, I'm afraid, little more than "pretty".

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

you can find a lot of youtube
    the desktop APP is just as it was in WIN7
    what was gone is the start button only
    I love it more and more each moment , the best thing is that you can run the desktop on side with the APP
    as for example I watch now my favorite show on the side while working on stuff , multi tasking :)
    I was little afraid it will not work the way I would like but before the setup win8 will tell you exactly what programs or devices will works without problems and I got actually only one, my screen recorder only that need to be reinstall and I have a lot of softwares everything works just better and load so quick, even Poser with DOSON a lot better as before and the drag problem I had with genesis while posing is gone now .
    Great improvements and I just love it !

Are there videos I can watch for the Windows 7 Desktop? I can't find them anywhere.

edited December 1969

all you see in the adds is just the START screen and nothing else
    it have a lot of new functionality and synchronizations load everything much faster from the start up to programs .
    Definitely improved my machine , you can full control everything using pen or mouse , everything get nice organized and have own space
    if you are multitasking it is sure for you , I have a lot of devices so the synchronization between them is an easy task now
    but what most impressed me is the improved speed overall .

I'll add that I'm not going anywhere near it anyway. It's all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC? All I ever see in the adverts and tech show programmes is how easy it is to whizz around a whole lot of blobby icons, just like on a phone screen. So what else does it do? And how much of the functionality is geared towards driving a touchscreen, like on a phone or tablet?

Nope, I'm giving Win8 a miss, just like I did Vista. Besides, I've only had Win7 for a couple of years now and I have no intention of upgrading — to me it's "WinXP done right" and the new OS is, I'm afraid, little more than "pretty".

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

I will reserve judgement until after I have a look at it in a Virtual machine and after a bunch of hacks are discovered for it.

Reading up on it I see that they decided to completely ignor those who have no desire to turn their PC into tablet.

I for one do not need my screen covered in "live icons" or anthing else for that matter. BOth my PCs, one running Xubuntu Linux and the other XP Pro x64, have no icons on them. Only excpetion for the Windows PC is my installed games. I personally never had anything against the Start Menu. I keep mine simple and effective.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

It's all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC?

I've been following Win 8 and from what I can see, this is MS making a last desperate effort to get into the Samsung/Apple territory - ie phones, where they've failed miserably. MS must feel enraged seeing Samsung sell 1/3 of the phones on the planet and make a fortune. LOL.

Of course, all the media hype so far has been on MS Surface, so we don't hear much about the regular desktop side of Win 8. The problem is that for serious work, phones are tablets are crap, and MS don't seem to realise that. The reasoning goes 'Phones are trendy. We can make some money' True, but the world will continue to use desktops are laptops for 95% of everyday work, so if MS abandon those users, they won't be selling much. Already, most analysts are predicting that very few desktop users will upgrade to Win 8.

mac

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I for one do not need my screen covered in "live icons" or anthing else for that matter. BOth my PCs, one running Xubuntu Linux and the other XP Pro x64, have no icons on them. Only excpetion for the Windows PC is my installed games. I personally never had anything against the Start Menu. I keep mine simple and effective.

Yeah, I'm the same. I have a dual-boot XP 64/Win 7, using XP as default. I've never used use Win 7 since I got it, examined it closely, applied some cosmetic hacks, and decided I still hated it. (Auto-arrange in folders drives me up the wall! What a pain!).

I launch everything with CTRL-ALT+LETTER. No icons, and my Start menu has very few folders - I keep all programs in my Apps & Tools folders.

Bill Gates wouldn't like me as a user. LOL.

mac

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

I tried the Consumer Preview and didn't like it - to the point of not even installing the Release preview. The people who like it seem to like it on phones or tablets, for which it may well be great, but Metro (as was) is dreadful on a monitor, especially a large monitor. I haven't, as i threatened, gone out and bought an extra copy of Windows 7 ready for my next PC and I could probably live with W8, if need be, but it really doesn't appear to offer much for regular desktop users.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Any specs on the the memory cap in windows 8 is it still 16gig for normal Windows 8 and 16gig plus for Windows Pro. I'll just get a whole new system when I upgrade next year. How's the render speed any quicker?
    Thanks for the info Mech!

edited December 1969

The 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro supports up to 512 GB while the 64-bit version of Windows 8 (standard) supports up to 128 GB.
    what I notices that all my applications that use OpenGL are just running so fast and smooth it maybe be the fresh installation and new drivers that boost my PC , and I tested all my 3D applications , especially Poser and DS improved so much with faster rendering and response but that can be thanks to the update , I had trouble posing in Poser when I used Genesis before and now it just move fast as in DS , I have 3 machines + tablet and they nice in synchronization now so not need duplicate files to install as they all share the important file , and I really like the win8 apps as I am app junky , can't live without my Angry Birds lol
    the windows explorer is new with additional tools and user friendly without the need for right click anymore , everywhere buttons with functions to make it touch friendly however all functions are working with pen,mouse and keyboard as well
    when you finish with application just grab it and throw it out of the screen to close , on the right and left sides you have hidden tabs , right is for settings and control and the left show what apps are running, you can run many desktop programs and 1 win8 app at the same time on the screen also , but most important all my programs working smooth can't complain , for $39 for the win8 pro , it is a lot of fun

Any specs on the the memory cap in windows 8 is it still 16gig for normal Windows 8 and 16gig plus for Windows Pro. I'll just get a whole new system when I upgrade next year. How's the render speed any quicker?
    Thanks for the info Mech!
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

I was looking over Win 8 Pro yesterday. Glad it's working so well for you Cath. XO

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

This is the first positive post I read about Windows 8, all the others I've read compare it with Vista when it first came out and are extremely negative, most enterprises as usual stay clear off it. In my experience I never had any problems with Vista, it worked real nice to me but I had a brand new computer at the time. I saw a preview on youtube months ago and honestly what I saw I didn't liked. Plus there are peripherals that I use that I imagine might have trouble with the new OS.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    This is the first positive post I read about Windows 8, all the others I've read compare it with Vista when it first came out and are extremely negative, most enterprises as usual stay clear off it. In my experience I never had any problems with Vista, it worked real nice to me but I had a brand new computer at the time. I saw a preview on youtube months ago and honestly what I saw I didn't liked. Plus there are peripherals that I use that I imagine might have trouble with the new OS.

I purchased a new computer with Vista. It had nothing but problems from the start. As Microsoft did several updates it finally started to work the way I believe it was meant to, but by that time Windows 7 came out and I quickly switched to it. I love Windows 7 and hope I do not have to switch to 8. 7 still has a few things here and there, but overall it has been the best platform I've worked with. I have never worked with a Mac, so I have no say one way or the other. I also am no computer whiz, so you can take this as a grain of salt or for what it's worth.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited October 2012

I have nothing positive to say about windows 8 or Microsoft Surface.

No start menu no thank you.

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

SimonWM said:

I've seen several positive comments in the press and from users - but mostly from people who have been using it on a tablet, where the touch controls work and where even the largest display doesn't leave a vast distance between active points (unless it's changed, right-clicking with a mouse in Metro apps always opens an icon bar along the bottom of the screen - first few times I right-clicked on something I thought it wasn't working at all as I hadn't looked at the foot of the screen).

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited October 2012

I'm fortunate enough to have a spare Windows7 (Home Premium) system. I bought Windows8-Pro upgrade from OfficeMax a few days ago when they had a 50% off pre-release sale. Not only will it get my spare machine up to a "Pro" level but it will also give me a testbed for Windows8 so that I won't be clueless when I get repair customers asking about it.

I'm not really very enthused about moving up to Windows8 but will experiment with it.

Being in the computer service arena means I have a bunch of old machines laying about. I've actually gotten rid of most of them but I have kept:

1 WindowsXP-Pro
    2 WindowsXP-Home
    1 WindowsVista-Home
    1 Windows7-Pro (my primary DAZ machine)
    1 Windows7-Home (laptop)
    1 Windows7-Home (soon to be upgraded to Windows8-Pro)

I see no real need for Windows2000 or WindowsME or Windows98 and, god forbid, Windows95 anymore. However, I do recall that somewhere on my shelves I have a Windows98 laptop and a Windows2000 laptop that are each probably more effectively used as doorstops.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

What happened, No windows Xp X64 Edition?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited October 2012

What happened, No windows Xp X64 Edition?

Nope. Never even seen one. No customers ever brought one in. I also have no Macs.
    But I do have a MacOSX reference book though. :-o
    I even got rid of my LINUX machines. I worked with various versions of Berkely UNIX and AT&T UNIX for two decades I figure that's enough to drive any man 'round-the-twist.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    It's all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC?

The problem is that for serious work, phones are tablets are crap, and MS don't seem to realise that. The reasoning goes 'Phones are trendy. We can make some money' True, but the world will continue to use desktops are laptops for 95% of everyday work, so if MS abandon those users, they won't be selling much. Already, most analysts are predicting that very few desktop users will upgrade to Win 8.

macI use an android phone(galaxy tab), ipad and a laptop for work. I use evernote and synchronise it so the observations I take when working with children are on all platforms. I would consider that serious work. It saves me considerable photocopying budget and also a lot of work to use them in this way. There are also other useful ways to incorporate them into a classroom.

However I would agree with you that they are not much use for 3d work at the moment(if that's what your meant). Whether that will improve...who knows?

edited December 1969

what you mean no start menu , everything is there , in the left bottom corner and right click and everything there as was before , people confuse win8 with the mobile version and complain about something they did not even installed , how many of you installed already the final version from october/26 ? none
    you may not like something visually , this is just personal but I am happy overall with the performance and improvement for my work and that is all about , I do not try to convict you to anything just share my own personal opinion , nobody like DS4.0 also and genesis a short time ago lol

I love the fact that I can switch with a button from DS that render for me image to my favorite show and catch up on the episode without any interruption of slowing down everything or just run it both on the screen , I am multitasking and do always a lot of stuff at once the additional win8 apps allow me to skip opening additional programs and browsers while I need to power for rendering , that why using win8 apps like mail, skype, hulu, or google chrome make it much easy without slowing down anything , I remember when I was talking on skype before I could not even browser as it was distribution to the voice as skype use a lot of CPU, but now no more ..not to mention keeping in touch with over 2000 people , this get much easy now as I have everything under my hand synchronet with all my devices no matter where i go ... win8Pro provide exactly what I was looking for, for my business and fun . That are little things that make the life easy for me personally . if you don't like to get out of your comfort zone then stick with what have
    and comments at last if you used it fully functional . I would not update if I don't need it .

But yes as each new software nothing is perfect , and until at last late 2013 I don't expect that everything will be flawless
    that is just impossible .

I have nothing positive to say about windows 8 or Microsoft Surface.

No start menu no thank you.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited October 2012

Glad its good for you cath!

I bought it earlier off the Microsoft site took hours to install and update mind i did put it over the top of win 7 but messed up as it was caught in an update loop had to wait about an hour for it to say it was messed up.
    My Fingerprint security is dead as no drivers are available for it yet, took me a bit to work out how to shut the thing down without having the start menu.

All in al you can see why they only charged £24.99 for the upgrade to win 8 pro, though I am sure ill get used to it just like I have with win 95/98/me/xp/vista and win 7.

Not too happy with it at the moment but I am sure ill learn to love it in the end.

Steve

Post edited by Sal UK on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

I've purchased the upgrade because of the low price. I also use a touchpad on my pc, so I think the new interface will be very useful to me.

edited December 1969

the new win8 tablet does not speak to me at all and I would not get it , for me waste of money and 1 program you can use is microsoft office and that is the rest are regular apps , they are too late with the tablet on the market not to mention you can buy apps only in the win8 store what is ridiculous plus the same apps are double the price as on google play or amazon app store , but they don;t have much choices at this moment so people try to make money with this situation and raise the prices , for example angry birds are free anywhere but on win8 store are for $5 .. make no sense , just an example .
    what is on my wish list for a long time is now is wacom Cintiq 24HD touch .. for my art work
    the rest I have is radically new and will be not upgraded at last for the next 2 years I have to live with it .
    I hear rumor that Microsoft is coming with another OS and other devices could emerge by 2015

bellow is a link to the main functions and overview in case you wonder how to ...
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/organization-efficiency

Pendraia said:
    maclean said:

The problem is that for serious work, phones are tablets are crap, and MS don't seem to realise that. The reasoning goes 'Phones are trendy. We can make some money' True, but the world will continue to use desktops are laptops for 95% of everyday work, so if MS abandon those users, they won't be selling much. Already, most analysts are predicting that very few desktop users will upgrade to Win 8.

mac

I use an android phone(galaxy tab), ipad and a laptop for work. I use evernote and synchronise it so the observations I take when working with children are on all platforms. I would consider that serious work. It saves me considerable photocopying budget and also a lot of work to use them in this way. There are also other useful ways to incorporate them into a classroom.

However I would agree with you that they are not much use for 3d work at the moment(if that's what your meant). Whether that will improve...who knows?

edited December 1969

I got the downloadable version from microsoft and the first attempt was not good as I did something and made my win7 freeze and lost the download and have to start again , I know exactly what I will have to update and what will not works as it told me before instalation so I lost only 1 program for screen recording that I had to reinstall again to make it work and that was all of the trouble .
    I was afraid my 3D programs will not works and that was my biggest concern , but after when I started DS and Poser it was like wow .. smooth fast workflow no more issues for $39 it was worthed
    I remember how much I hate Vista first usage I just can't get over the futuristic stuff so I switched it to the basic theme until win7 I never used any fancy theme but plain as I don't want to waste my memory of graphic card on that

but the most surprise Steve I had after the upgrade was that my old desktop was still there messy as usual and nothing changed , well now no more as I cleaned everything from the desktop and moved to start for quick access ..

btw you know that you can't edit the tiles of your desktop programs to match the rest but I found a hack that allow you to do that, and I made my own icons for my common application yesterday and updated the start with them they are sort of bookmarks tiles but working

the software for that is called OblyTile v.8 ( look for the version # 8 )
    it allow you to create the new shortcuts on the start menu with your own tile , the big one should be created max 120x120 and the small 30x30 in png format with unlimited colors for the background

look below on the one I made yesterday, I still have to finish the rest of them for Carrara and other apps

Sal UK said:
    Glad its good for you cath!

I bought it earlier off the Microsoft site took hours to install and update mind i did put it over the top of win 7 but messed up as it was caught in an update loop had to wait about an hour for it to say it was messed up.
    My Fingerprint security is dead as no drivers are available for it yet, took me a bit to work out how to shut the thing down without having the start menu.

All in al you can see why they only charged £24.99 for the upgrade to win 8 pro, though I am sure ill get used to it just like I have with win 95/98/me/xp/vista and win 7.

Not too happy with it at the moment but I am sure ill learn to love it in the end.

Steve

start1.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 274K
  • GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

I've purchased the download as I'm sure that I'll eventually upgrade (although most of what I want it for is "under the hood", so to speak) but I'm holding off until iTunes becomes compatible.

Got to have my music while I'm creating DS stuff!

:)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:

the windows explorer is new with additional tools and user friendly without the need for right click anymore , everywhere buttons with functions to make it touch friendly however all functions are working with pen,mouse and keyboard as well
    when you finish with application just grab it and throw it out of the screen to close

This is the sort of thing that makes me uncomfortable -- those are the exact features I would immediately turn off in any application which provided for doing so. I hate icons and toolbars -- in DS I remove ALL the toolbars and create extra menubar menus for any functions which aren't otherwise accessible without toolbars. I dislike touchscreens -- while I appreciate their capabilities, I've never found one that wasn't a tremendous productivity drain. Too much reaching, too much brushing against the wrong spot, pressing too hard or not hard enough. Gestures is another thing that sounds like it could be useful, but I've always found to be a tremendously inefficient way of working. Why would I want to grab an application and throw it off the screen to close it -- sounds much more inefficient than either a keyboard combination or clicking on a close box.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:

when you finish with application just grab it and throw it out of the screen to close

This is the sort of thing that makes me uncomfortable -- those are the exact features I would immediately turn off in any application which provided for doing so. I hate icons and toolbars -- in DS I remove ALL the toolbars and create extra menubar menus for any functions which aren't otherwise accessible without toolbars. I dislike touchscreens -- while I appreciate their capabilities, I've never found one that wasn't a tremendous productivity drain. Too much reaching, too much brushing against the wrong spot, pressing too hard or not hard enough. Gestures is another thing that sounds like it could be useful, but I've always found to be a tremendously inefficient way of working. Why would I want to grab an application and throw it off the screen to close it -- sounds much more inefficient than either a keyboard combination or clicking on a close box.

It must be a 'guy' thing...my wife loves her tablet and all the 'cute' buttons and moving things around with a finger. My daughters...more so.

Me...give me a mouse enabled text console and I'm happy. (no, not really that bad...but green on black is still my favorite screen/text combo...)

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

I would never want to replace my keyboard, but I do use an iPad, and I really find the touchscreen very nice for the things I use it for. Win 8 should also make operating my desktop from the iPad even easier, since it's interface is made for the touchscreen environment.

edited December 1969

Desktop programs works the same way as it was before and there are not much change to it and the workflow I was talking about win8 APPs finding a little cross and click it right on a screen is not simple with touch screen , so throwing it out is the fastest way in this case and I am used to do that on my tablet so for me nothing new ... I just like to touch and btw I never used mous in my entire live .. it is all personal choice , important what is best for you as nothing in this world can be good to everyone ...
    I remember when I said that I would NEVER purchase a tablet , until I did from curiosity and got hooked up I just love so much tech gadgets and go with the flow .
    However not always , I stopped using Poser after ver.8 until 2012 , I hate the changes in the interface until today , including the stupid library but have no choice and have to use it , I like programs I am working in to be simple and I am not fan of the Poser tabs or DS tabs either , and what make me like win8 is that I can throw it away if I don;t need it and get it outta my way and go back to it with a simple touch .. keeping my workspace clean if I need it , reducing also the memory of my vid card
    also I love the search with one click I have all files I looking for or are that DAZ installers or Read me or renders as the files are pretty good organized by itself automatic , for example I look for files associated with DAZ3D, boom everything is there in a sec ..
    They did it so easy even blind can find a file and send it

Mec4D said:

apps2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 280K
  • Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited October 2012

Thanks cath I will have to look at that... :)

Have you tried to apply a pose to genesis in DS 4 Pro since upgrading to Win 8 don't know if its just coincidence but loaded in steph 5 an applied a pose and I created the bride of frankenstein.... :roll:

ohdear.jpg
    525 x 528 - 133K
    Post edited by Sal UK on