Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    head wax said:

PhilW said:

What are those budgy things on his torso though? I don't recognise those! laugh 

Bread rolls. ;)

Ooooh wanna spread em with butter

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited August 2016

I am back. Great work, everybody! I am excited for the amount of entries that are being worked on! I hope all of them make it into the entry thread!

As promised, screen shots of my previous render. If anyone is still interested.

EDIT: Final image for "Dream High" is also attached.

Screen1_setup.jpg
    1680 x 1002 - 1012K
    Screen2_cloud.jpg
    1680 x 1002 - 316K
    Dream High.jpg
    1980 x 1020 - 1012K
    Post edited by Antara on
    edited August 2016

Here is my second variation on the theme. And I have a favor to ask: I am going away for a couple weeks and coming back in September (after the deadline), so I will not be able to post my entries into the final entry thread when it opens. 

Therefore, head wax, please post my images into the Entry thread when it opens.

The title of the first one (with clouds, bubbles, hat and baloons) is "Dream High!" (attached in my previous comment)

The title of the second is "Lab Results", attached here.

I am also attaching the unedited render with the render pass layers. What I did in post is duplicate the volumentric layers a bunch of times, because in the original render the steam volumetrics were almost impossible to see other than in the reflection on the bottles. But the volumetric layers definitely had all the necessary info, and as soon as I duplicated them a couple of times, the steam became very clearly visible in the image.

EDIT: Some technical info:
    The glass panes have Normal Map bump - I love the effect it created.
    Glass shaders: some are my own, some are edited versions from the wonderful http://www.daz3d.com/wonderous-wares set by Dimension Theory. (The setting with the room and the panels is also originally his - he created the set for a shading/lighting challenge a very long time ago)
    The metal slab was modeled. I created the spline model from the vector and then converted it to vertex modeler and used it to cut out the text from the simple cube. I then smoothed the cubes corners and created different shading domains and UV-mappped them for maximum convenience. I used Anything Goos for the melted edges of the text.
    For the steam volumetrics I used a modified mist cloud from one of HowieFarkes sets.

Screen_Lab_original Render.jpg
    1680 x 1009 - 1M
    Lab_Results.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Antara on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited August 2016

Antara said:

Here is my second variation on the theme. And I have a favor to ask: I am going away for a couple weeks and coming back in September (after the deadline), so I will not be able to post my entries into the final entry thread when it opens. 

The title of the first one (with clouds, bubbles, hat and baloons) is "Dream High!" (attached in my previous comment)

I am also attaching the unedited render with the render pass layers. What I did in post is duplicate the volumentric layers a bunch of times, because in the original render the steam volumetrics were almost impossible to see other than in the reflection on the bottles. But the volumetric layers definitely had all the necessary info, and as soon as I duplicated them a couple of times, the steam became very clearly visible in the image.

Very nice and well done

Post edited by chickenman on

Public service message. smiley

I traced and edited the vector logo to create cut out geometry for my image, so I thought I'd save others some trouble and attach the vector for everyone to use (if the Forum will let me). In a large PNG file since the Forum would not let me attach a vector, but the tracing in AI is very accurate and easy for this file.

C9-VectorExport.png
    9344 x 1473 - 209K
  • aspinaspin Posts: 219
    Sad said:

well this is what I have for now and may be one entry, I have a few ideas I want to explore

What is the title? Holding your breath for Carrara 9 ?

Not really thought about the titles yet, will when the entry thread appears, the picture is supposed to speak a thousand words.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Going for the 'Hello Boys' or an attempted 'Flat Bag' pose there Wendy? devil

Sad said:

update, yay it did stop and I could save when it reached 5K

• @dartanbeck 80% of my work is in animation and as the years have passed my quest for total realisim in fakeness I have noticed you can get carried away. I struggle to follow a movie these days because I am too busy looking at the camera work. Both animation and content development for your sets can be a dangerous occupation out in the real world. Key observations a) There are no level footpaths in Australia to be had for the serious animator and b) If a brawl erupts and everyone is ducking for cover, go with them as it is not a good time for a case study. 

@TangoAlpha LOL

There is some great work going up here by everyone. I decided to build the Hotel Carrara (a 9 roomed nightmare) after a certain song was playing on the radio for it's 10 billionth time and hope to have something up here shortly

@Stezza, more suggestive of what could have been happening to that 9 if he were not required to wear shorts cheeky

nah just a good ol boy who likes his cider and Carrara 9, a pinup like 90% of DAZ renders but my prefered gender.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited August 2016

Some great stuff so far. I'm in a creative void with very little extra time, but here is a possible start of an idea.

Hope I won't need to do 3 images to compete, I'll be lucky to get one blush

AugContest sample1.jpg
    1400 x 788 - 398K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    Sad said:

Not really thought about the titles yet, will when the entry thread appears, the picture is supposed to speak a thousand words.

Very cool, Wendy!

@dartanbeck 80% of my work is in animation and as the years have passed my quest for total realisim in fakeness I have noticed you can get carried away. I struggle to follow a movie these days because I am too busy looking at the camera work. Both animation and content development for your sets can be a dangerous occupation out in the real world. Key observations a) There are no level footpaths in Australia to be had for the serious animator and b) If a brawl erupts and everyone is ducking for cover, go with them as it is not a good time for a case study. 

In that case, a fun way to enhance speed on EnvironKits is to double-click the Artificial Global Illumination light replicator, and change the Minimun Distance from 280 (88 lights) to 980 (11 lights). It makes for less soft shadows, but it renders a LOT faster! I keep the default at 88 lights because it produces nice, smooth soft shadows. But when I'm speed rendering... I really don't mind those particular shadows being sharper. Also, remove the check mark in "Enable Soft Shadows" in the effects tab of the Sun Light. Huge difference!

Also, I really love that chocolate bar image!!! :P

Antara, very cool! And thanks!

Phil, love that image!!! Stezza, is that a bottle cap? Looks nice.

wdjohn, what am I missing? What's wrong with the text shadows on the blocks? Sorry... I really kinda like those blocks and am not quite seeing what you don't like. Hmmm... I like them!

diomede, Very cool concept!

Sad said:

Stezza, is that a bottle cap? Looks nice.

I dunno... it could be... @chickenman may be able to let us know devil frown

I've been working on a scene that seems impossible to get in Carrara and involves the letters F  M and C, some fins

and some springs.... with the use of modifiers and the help of LoRez items.

Impossible in Carrara?.................... hell yeah!...... yes smiley  but that's all the fun of it 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Antara said:

EDIT: Some technical info:
    The glass panes have Normal Map bump - I love the effect it created.
    Glass shaders: some are my own, some are edited versions from the wonderful http://www.daz3d.com/wonderous-wares set by Dimension Theory. (The setting with the room and the panels is also originally his - he created the set for a shading/lighting challenge a very long time ago)
    The metal slab was modeled. I created the spline model from the vector and then converted it to vertex modeler and used it to cut out the text from the simple cube. I then smoothed the cubes corners and created different shading domains and UV-mappped them for maximum convenience. I used Anything Goos for the melted edges of the text.
    For the steam volumetrics I used a modified mist cloud from one of HowieFarkes sets.

wow they are coming fast and furious :)  !!!!

sure will do @antara 

edited August 2016

sorry double post

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited August 2016
    Stezza said:
    Sad said:

I've been working on a scene that seems impossible to get in Carrara and involves the letters F  M and C, some fins

Impossible in Carrara?.................... hell yeah!...... yes smiley  but that's all the fun of it 

well whatever you do, dont accidentally turn off constraints ......

you probably need to click on this one to decipher the carrara 9 bit!

:)

DustRider said:

Some great stuff so far. I'm in a creative void with very little extra time, but here is a possible start of an idea.

nice work Dustrider - those letters look like real perspex. You don't need three images to be part of the challenge. The points for up to three images from one artist will be added together for first place.

so the winner can still win with only one image

second and third and HM are the same as always :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    DustRider said:

Wow... must have posted this while I was typing my last one... I missed it entirely! Looks really cool! Say, I'm working on one now where my Carrara 9 logo is candy using a shader eerily similar to yours! 

Stezza said:
    Sad said:

So Sorry you and chickenman! My mind slips from time to time... to time... to....

Sad said:
    head wax said:

PhilW said:

What are those budgy things on his torso though? I don't recognise those! laugh 

Bread rolls. ;)

Ooooh wanna spread em with butter

lovely render Wendy - not sure about the butter though :)

Antara said:

that's fantastic work @Antara

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited August 2016

A redesign on the font, not that happy with foot of the Nine... will prolly fix later. Background is simple plane with too many DCG shaders, not happy with the mix... too bright. Shaders for "9" are temporary... threw a few presets on them. Finally all the letters look ok. [big smile]... now I can more on to design a terrain.

Carr Block_40_1_1.png
    640 x 480 - 377K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I have added a few finishing touches to my previous image, I'll save that to post on the entry thread, but I did take up the suggestion of adding haze and that worked well.

I have had another idea - everyone has been creating Carrara 9 objects, so I thought I'd be different (nothing new there!) and create a Carrara 9 hole! Now just have to build a scene around it.  I used Boolean, but there was quite a bit of fine tuning before I got close to the effect I wanted. I ended up adding extra lines on the block with Extract Along so that each letter was sitting on its own polygon, that helped control the boolean subtract.

Carrara9Hole1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
    edited August 2016
    wgdjohn said:

A redesign on the font, not that happy with foot of the Nine... will prolly fix later. Background is simple plane with too many DCG shaders, not happy with the mix... too bright. Shaders for "9" are temporary... threw a few presets on them. Finally all the letters look ok. [big smile]... now I can more on to design a terrain.

looks like a very fast nine, I like it

nice hole PhilW!

head wax said:
    Stezza said:
    Sad said:
    well whatever you do, dont accidentally turn off constraints ......

you probably need to click on this one to decipher the carrara 9 bit!

:)

It's not Auslan.... but I got it laugh

cracking image 

ha ha thanks, it was Poser 4 hand signs I think ;)

edited August 2016

and some springs.... with the use of modifiers and the help of LoRez items and some nurbs.

The Impossibles in Carrara?.................... hell yeah!......

The render shows the two spots that needed some postwork for blending..
    The Impossi-Mobile created with modifiers in Carrara and the Impossibles were created from LoRez Superhero all with modified textures and added bits like the M & shield for Multi-Man and the springs for Coil Man  .. Fluid Man's water is from JoLabs splashes.
    Text was using Carrara's text.

The Impossibles_WiP1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 300K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Stezza said:
    Sad said:

Well I guess  you are both going to have to wait and see.......................let the suspence build somemore.

edited August 2016

"There's a Carrara 9 shaped hole in my life...".  More or less the final image, it came together quite quickly once the carved block was done. There is a strong mesh light outside the window and a very low level one in the shed, rendered with Octane.  Most of the items are from various sets in my runtime but I made the chisel as I couldn't find one, and it was a simple job.

Carrara9-HoleFinal.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 342K
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • Okay guys and girls my third option Hotel Carrara WIP. I did model the C hotel outside of Carrara but everything else was in the software. I run it through Photoshop only to add a filter where I was trying to achieve that vibe you used to get in the old magazines or early postcard. I always liked a poster I had to recreate for a billboard in a animation set of a bus station and chose the Daz Studio/Carrara combo to carry this out. 

PS Great to see DustRider ride in on his horse to the challenge

HotelCarraraDaz.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M

Gibson.Johnny3 - I really like that image and the design for the Carrara Hotel is so cool!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

it's too weird not to model something for challenge  lol