Did stone Mason UV map each and every peace of debris ?

RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Stonemasons city ruins meshes.has a lot of debris laying around.
Did stone Mason UV map each and every peace of debris
so a checker bored test texture fit like on the tShirt ?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/surfacing/tutorials/basics_uv_mapping_guidelines/start

Comments

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

probably :D
    It's one of the requirements for models sold on the DAZ site.

• AkhbourAkhbour Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And he even removes any face of the mesh you are not supposed to see, to keep it as lite as possible!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Hey Peter I see you joined at the birth of the universe.

I didn't know he removed faces not seen. I haven't got much Stonemason stuff and never realy looked.

• AkhbourAkhbour Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Birth of the universe? I thought it was the end! :lol:

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Probably the end of something and the beginning of something else.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

The short answer is yes—any mesh that takes a bitmap texture will have a UV map. However, this is not necessarily as laborious as it sounds. I don't have this product but it seems to me that in most cases seams will not be an issue and exact placement of texure features is not necessary for objects like this. A whole bunch of sub-objects can be unwrapped at once onto a single UV map using the same texture—automatic unwrapping is likely to be adequate. Another possibility is that larger objects can be mapped once and copies made which can be remodelled to an extent without having to remap them.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited October 2012

The short answer is yes—any mesh that takes a bitmap texture will have a UV map. However, this is not necessarily as laborious as it sounds. I don't have this product but it seems to me that in most cases seams will not be an issue and exact placement of texure features is not necessary for objects like this. A whole bunch of sub-objects can be unwrapped at once onto a single UV map using the same texture—automatic unwrapping is likely to be adequate. Another possibility is that larger objects can be mapped once and copies made which can be remodelled to an extent without having to remap them.

Never needed uvmaps with zBrush .So I know next to nothing about mapping.

zBrush has UV Map it's automatic but makes no since when laid flat.
    zBrush has a plug called UV Master.it's a automatic unwrapper but you can not modified the map.
    Don't know if ether is acceptable for DAZ

Is that what you mean buy automatic unwrapping ?
    If not then could you explain ?

I do have a regular uv mapper in Blender if that helps

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:

Never needed uvmaps with zBrush .So I know next to nothing about mapping.

zBrush has UV Map it's automatic but makes no since when laid flat.
    zBrush has a plug called UV Master.it's a automatic unwrapper but you can not modified the map.
    Don't know if ether is acceptable for DAZ

Is that what you mean buy automatic unwrapping ?
    If not then could you explain ?

I do have a regular uv mapper in Blender if that helps

Yes—I just mean letting the application do the unwrapping without manual intervention by the user, such as marking seams and then going in and editing the map afterwards. Just the one click process and leaving it as it is. I'm just saying that for unwrapping things like this debris it can be done quickly without a lot of tweaking or none at all. If you want a map that you can paint specific features on in 2D, though (i.e. not using UV painting or projection painting), or to fix an existing texture to, then you will need a map that makes sense, and not all of the automated ones will.
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

And of course the always popular option of creating one or two base objects, mapping them and then just replicating and deforming them a bit.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the info.