Question about morgue/mortuary sets

joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm looking at obtaining one or both of the two currently available morgue sets, the Eerie Morgue at Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/eerie-morgue-poser-vue-obj-/59101 and the West Park Morgue (which means I'll have to get the West Park Basement as well) http://www.daz3d.com/shop/west-park-morgue . I'd like to find a funeral home set as well but the only one I can seem to locate that's currently available is the Old West Undertakers Interior: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/old-west-undertakers-interior which isn't quite what I want.

My real question, though, is that both morgue sets, West Park and Eerie, look VERY grungy and rusty. Is there a reasonably easy way to alter/change/remove the mats on those props so as to take away the rust and dirt and make the tables, drawers, etc., look clean and shiny? (This question is actually applicable to any prop set that seems to have a dirty, disused look by default.)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

Yes, you need to use a paint program, such as Photoshop or Paintshop pro, or even Gimp, which is a free one, and make you own textures for them, if there is not already an addon texture pack available.

hopefull there will be a texture template for you to work from, the West Park morgue certainly has a template, it can be found under the resources tab on the product page.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

HA! Shows what a dope I am. I thought you meant an illustrator's morgue.

• edited December 1969

As well as using a paint program to make your own textures, you can directly apply shader presets to the surfaces.

You’ll need to obtain shader presets for the particular program you’re suing (i.e., Poser presets don’t work in DAZ Studio and vice versa). While the purchase of the presets is a bit of an upfront expense, you can then use them to retexture any other environments.

Calida3D is just one source of shader presets — they do both Studio and Poser presets.

• joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited December 1969

I actually now have a second question, related to the request I put up in the Freepozitory a little while ago. I downloaded Karth's free coffin model from ShareCG at http://www.sharecg.com/v/50162/gallery/11/Poser/Coffin , but I can't get the materials to work properly. I'm certain that I unzipped all the files into the correct places into my Daz3D/Studio/My Library directory - I checked - but while the basic model and its accessories load just fine, I can't change the mats/colors of anything. I select an object, click the corresponding mat in the "Materials" directory, but nothing happens; it stays the default color. Can somebody get this model, give it a try and tell me what, if anything, I might be doing wrong?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    I actually now have a second question, related to the request I put up in the Freepozitory a little while ago. I downloaded Karth's free coffin model from ShareCG at http://www.sharecg.com/v/50162/gallery/11/Poser/Coffin , but I can't get the materials to work properly. I'm certain that I unzipped all the files into the correct places into my Daz3D/Studio/My Library directory - I checked - but while the basic model and its accessories load just fine, I can't change the mats/colors of anything. I select an object, click the corresponding mat in the "Materials" directory, but nothing happens; it stays the default color. Can somebody get this model, give it a try and tell me what, if anything, I might be doing wrong?
    This item uses Poser Shaders for the Materials, those will not work in DS. Just looked for you. You can use any DS shaders you like to to get a look you like. Or try to make your own textures with the provided template.
    edited December 1969

I just Checked the Item folders. It does come with some Basic jpg textures you could load by hand.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I take it you are using Daz Studio. I am checking it out now brb

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I just Checked the Item folders. It does come with some Basic jpg textures you could load by hand.

I'm not sure how I could load those textures by hand, and I have no experience with creating textures, so I guess I'm stuck, at least for now. :\

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I take it you are using Daz Studio. I am checking it out now brb
    OPPS!! It loaded just fine, for me, textures and all. I just read the Readme and assumed it was Shaders.
    edited December 1969

joea64 What steps did you follow to install it?

edited December 1969

You are corect the Material presets will not load. You don't need to creat textures as there are already made.

Jad it loads with one set of textures but the MC6 mats will not load no matter what I try and MC6 mats now work with Ds4.5

If you are using Daz Studio then select a section of the coffin, one at a time. It is split in to sections, pillow, base, left and right top. Then with a section selected go in to the Surfaces Pane and beside (our left) the Diffuse colour is a drop down arrow. choose Browse and naviagte to where the texture maps are installed. (that will be where you installed the Runtime). Select a map and repeat. You will have to play with the specular highlights etc to get them right for Daz Studio.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    joea64 What steps did you follow to install it?

I unzipped the archive file (I use ALZip) and then copied the various directories to the correct places in the Daz3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime directory. It has files for the following subdirectories:

/geometries/Karth/Coffin
    /libraries/Karth/Coffin
    /readme/Karth/Coffin
    /templates/Karth/Coffin
    /textures/Karth/Coffin

edited November 2012

Libraries should have two folders Materials/Karth/coffin and Props/Karth/Coffin. But it looks right not a clue what happened on your PC.

TIP: It does look pretty good with some DS Shaders on it. Of course I have a pretty good collection of shaders.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Libraries should have two folders Materials/Karth/coffin and Props/Karth/Coffin. But it looks right not a clue what happened on your PC.

I actually wonder if there might be some files missing from the archive file I got from ShareCG. In the Textures folder, I have the following files:

black_cloth
    black_pillow
    red_cloth
    red_pillow
    test_cloth
    test_coffin
    test_lcoffin (for the left lid)
    test_rcoffin (for the right lid)
    test_pillow
    wood_coffin
    wood_lcoffin
    wood_rcoffin

Does that match what you have in your own installation's Texture folder?

edited December 1969

All I did (I use Vista) was open the zip file, without unzipping, copeid the whole runtime, pasted that in to my content library, choose yes to merge the folder with the runtime that was there alreay and bobs your uncle.

edited November 2012

Szark said:
    You are corect the Material presets will not load. You don't need to creat textures as there are already made.

Jad it loads with one set of textures but the MC6 mats will not load no matter what I try and MC6 mats now work with Ds4.5

If you are using Daz Studio then select a section of the coffin, one at a time. It is split in to sections, pillow, base, left and right top. Then with a section selected go in to the Surfaces Pane and beside (our left) the Diffuse colour is a drop down arrow. choose Browse and naviagte to where the texture maps are installed. (that will be where you installed the Runtime). Select a map and repeat. You will have to play with the specular highlights etc to get them right for Daz Studio.

OK, I've done that, and by adjusting "ambient color" I can now change the color of the lining. However, I still can't figure out how to change the exterior color or the pillow color (for some reason, changing ambient color doesn't seem to work for the pillow, I'm trying to change it to white).

EDIT: No, wait, hold on. I took a closer look and it looks like I DID change the color after all (I'm trying to go for mahogany for the exterior).

Post edited by joea64_bdfaa5ca94 on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    [This item uses Poser Shaders for the Materials, those will not work in DS. Just looked for you.
    Jad not sure if you missed what I said about MC6 poser mats but they do work now in DS4.5. I checked. :)
    edited December 1969

Yep that's right. Did you move the Materails/Krath/Coffin and Props/Krath/Coffin to those two folders in the Libraries folder?

edited December 1969

joea64 said:
    Szark said:

OK, I've done that, and by adjusting "ambient color" I can now change the color of the lining. However, I still can't figure out how to change the exterior color or the pillow color (for some reason, changing ambient color doesn't seem to work for the pillow, I'm trying to change it to white).My advice never use Ambient unless you want something to glow.

Try changing the diffuse and specular colour first,

edited November 2012

Szark said:
    Jaderail said:
    [This item uses Poser Shaders for the Materials, those will not work in DS. Just looked for you.
    Jad not sure if you missed what I said about MC6 poser mats but they do work now in DS4.5. I checked. :)Hmm... Hold let me try something.

EDIT: So right, in 4.5 nada. I only install free items to DS3A.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Szark said:
    Jaderail said:
    Jad not sure if you missed what I said about MC6 poser mats but they do work now in DS4.5. I checked. :)
    Hmm... Hold let me try something.

EDIT: So right, in 4.5 nada. I only install free items to DS3A. Yeah but these MC6 mats don't work for some reason. I checked with some Daz Studio PC item s that come with MC6 matts and remembered it being mentioned before.
    edited December 1969

So far, by changing diffuse and specular colors, I've been able to change the coffin's color to white and bronze. However, there was some kind of lining mat/texture that I saw the first time I experimented with changing colors, I'm trying to find out how to get it back. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to keep the interior color different from the exterior color.

edited December 1969

joea64 becase you are new it will probably take some time for you to fiddle, test render, fiddle some more before you get what you want. But trust me when I say you will be better off for it. You will learn so much doing this yourself.

edited December 1969

the lining is part of the wood_l_coffin and wood_r_coffin and wood_coffin

Here how to do one surface at a time

coffin.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 562K
    edited November 2012

So far, so good. After considerable tinkering with the diffuse and specular colors, and applying the Surface Selection Tool as you showed me how to do (by the way, how do I get the icons to show up in the program window the way you have them lined up at the top of the window? REALLY basic question, I know :P ) the coffin now looks like this, much more realistic. I still can't seem to work out how to get the lining/upholstery texture, however (which you had in your own render).

EDIT: I forgot to change the color of the stands on the bottom. This has now been done, and once I can figure out how to get that lining/upholstery texture to show up, I think I've got myself a pretty decent model. (And I'm starting to tinker around with different colors, as you can see from the second image below.)

coffin_test_image_7.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 210K
    coffin_test_image_6.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 307K
    edited November 2012

How to get a UI (User Interface) looking like mine:
    Step 1: Top Menu Bar go to Window > Workspace > Select Layout and choose City Limits.
    Step 2. Window > Select Style > and choose Highway

As for the lining just follow my instructions. Select the surface (inside left, inside right and the base) one at a time. Go to the diffuse channel, drop down arrow choose Browse > to the location of the texture maps. Select the pertaining maps for that section.

coffin1.jpg
    1071 x 688 - 310K
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited November 2012

...et voila! :D I think I finally have it.

EDIT: And now I have four different models to use (I made sure to save each of them).

Thank you!!

coffin_test_image_12.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 346K
    coffin_test_image_11.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 350K
    coffin_test_image_10.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 451K
    coffin_test_image_9.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 463K
    edited December 1969

Nice

This is what can be done in ten minutes when you do this for long enough. :)

coffin.jpg
    707 x 692 - 154K
    edited November 2012

Oh yeah if you want to smooth out the mesh more just go to the Scene Pane select the coffin, at the top of the pane is a little square striped box click on that and you get a lod of functions....choose "Convert to SubD" or alternatively select the coffin, top menu bar choose Edit > Object > Geometry > Convert to SubD.

SubD is short for subdivision which subdivides the mesh make it fine a which hepls smooth out the mesh. But this doesn't work for all meshes.

In my render above I used SubD to smooth out the hard edges a bit more.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited November 2012

And this is the latest version. Aside from that I still haven't worked out how to get the handles the same color as the rest of the metal fittings, it's just about perfect now IMO. Now if I can just find the proper funeral-parlor furniture (bier/catalfaque, candlestands, flowers, etc.)...

coffin_test_image_13.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 302K