Which installer is for what?

edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm back to using poser again, but files names have changed for new content installers. What do the following characters refer to in the file name:

.ds
.dpc
.trx
.gc

I use Poser Pro 2010, and have Daz Studio 4.5 but haven't really played with it yet.

Thanks for your help.

Herm

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited October 2012

this should help http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/tech_articles/file_extensions/start

which doesn't include trx and gc. Trx is the new Daz Studio only format and I haven't come across gc yet so I am unsure what that one is.

Post edited by Szark on
  • edited December 1969

Perhaps I should clarify. ds, dpc, gc, trx are not the extensions for the file. Extensions are either .exe or .zip (PC/Mac). I don't know what the characters mentioned earlier in post have to do with the file. Do I need to install all or just those specific to Poser. Which files would those be?

Herm

edited December 1969

Did you look at that page I linked to?

Perhaps asking this question in the Poser section of the forum might be a better idea as I am mainly a Daz Studio user though I do have Poser. As far as I know dpc is what you need. ds and trx are Daz Studio specific.

• edited December 1969

Thanks Szark,

Yes I did look at the page you linked. It is what led me to clarify my post. Info on that page refers to file extensions. The characters I am referring to are not file extensions. Rather, they seem to indicate a particular application they are specific to.

Thanks for the time and effort. It's helpful people like yourself that make forums so helpful. Appreciate it.

Herm

• edited December 1969

I’m back to using Poser again, but files names have changed for installers since I last used the software. What do the following characters refer to in the installer file name:

ds
    dpc
    trx
    gc

These are not file extensions. Extensions are either .exe or .zip (PC/Mac specific). I am trying to determine which files are designed to work with which application. I use Poser Pro 2010, and have Daz Studio 4.5 but haven’t really played with it yet.

It boils down to not knowing which files to install rather than just installing all of them, because I don't think installing all of them is necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Herm

edited December 1969

Daz3D do call these file extenstions or formats I like to call them. With Daz Studio we can use the Poser formats but Poser can't use some of the Daz Studio formats

From memory I think the DPC format is Poser compatible.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI . :)

I’m back to using poser again, but files names have changed for new content installers. What do the following characters refer to in the file name:

.ds = for Daz Studio
    .dpc = for poser
    .trx = Triax (for Daz Studio)
    .gc = I've never seen that format ?

If you're using Genesis in poser,... Download the Genesis starter essentials for Poser,. and any Poser companion files. and install them into your Poser runtime.

these only apply to Genesis content, and allow Poser users to work with genesis.

Any previous figures like V4 don't need that, since they already work in poser.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Threads merged, so all the help stays in one location, saving the need for people to duplicate information.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Jeez Cho, you nailed me on that one lol. I was posting a reply and when I hit submit I get "this post no longer exists" or something to that effect. That was the one on the members forum.

I am coming back from 2 or so years away from 3d & daz and I find myself getting confused as well. I used to maintain my "poser" content in a runtime on an external HD with DS content in the usual place. (My last DS was version 3 advanced something and now I'm using the latest 4.5 pro.) Some trx files are similar in size to their dpc counterparts but not all of them! I just gave up and started installing everything into my latest DS content directory to cover myself. At least I don't use poser so it makes decisions like that a bit easier on me.

And this is not to mention the latest round of confusion with PC (poser companion), Legacy, DSON Core, and MetaData files to add in to the mix. Yes some are quite obvious (PC = poser only with the importer, MetaData = DS only) but still can't we just make things simpler for everybody?

edited December 1969

Sorry about that. I didn't do it on purpose, honest :red:

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The GC files are items that are not in Poser or DS formats, such as Photoshop brushes.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Lol its all good! I figured something like that had happened so I went looking for where the post ended up.

BTW, I haven't seen any of the legendary Cho's re-textures lately, been too busy being an admin here? There were several items in the past that I only bought because you had worked your magic on their textures in the past and I always look forward to seeing what you come up with!

OOPS, I guess that was a bit of a hi-jack of the thread, sorry about that in advance all.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Threads merged, so all the help stays in one location, saving the need for people to duplicate information.
    I thought this question was best in the Poser section hence why I suggested making a new post...my bad....don't beat me with that club...again please
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Lol its all good! I figured something like that had happened so I went looking for where the post ended up.

BTW, I haven't seen any of the legendary Cho's re-textures lately, been too busy being an admin here? There were several items in the past that I only bought because you had worked your magic on their textures in the past and I always look forward to seeing what you come up with!

OOPS, I guess that was a bit of a hi-jack of the thread, sorry about that in advance all.

It's part that, and part the lack of Poser items to retexture. As I use poser I need that format. Neil then does the DS settings to match mine. And of course it's also partly because Neil is at Uni, as a mature student taking a BSc course

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

gc or cg = computer graphics

Appears to have been tagged onto the installers for resource textures, brushes, & "other items" which are used for graphics.