Carrara Academy for Light of Heaven

Comments

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Jacob, I think you're very smart with Carrara. You're always finding a way to make it do what you want. And you share your process with us so we can learn from you. Thank you.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI :)

There are a couple of issues here,.. (protected content) for example figures you've purchased, like V4 M4 etc..
    those are protected (from the user) :) but you can break in and edit the model in carrara, but you can easily break morphs, mapping, rigging, etc...if you don't know what you're doing.

Fenric has a nice "Posing tools" plugin set which includes an Unlock / Lock option to do this without breaking the figure.

The other thing is Figure groups,.. or Animated groups
    You can't copy / paste an entire figure with rigging,.
    You can save the figure to your browser, then drag it back into the scene to create a new figure.

For parenting it's a matter of dragging the item to the body part in the instance list on the right,. you can drag an item to the bottom of the list, and the list should scroll up,.. or you can reduce the visible branches so that it's a shorter list of parts.
    you can also expand that panel.

LOH wrote:

I want to scale one part of an object that doesn’t have any children/bones to select, but when I take it to the model room and scale that part, it goes through the rest of the object that is not selected.

Hi loh :)
    can you say what object it is,. eg: a prop...
    and what part of it you're trying to adjust,.. maybe even a pic or two... :)

in Cararra, there's two ways to scale,..
    There's the "real" scale,.. which is in the Modelling room,... and there's the "false" scale,.. in the Assembly room.
    when you edit a model in the modelling room, and you adjust it's scale,. then that changes the physical size of the object.

when you change the scale of an object in the assembly room, then the original object remains the same, it's just artificially scaled up or down.

How do I add bones or children?

There's a Bone tool in the main toolbar,. in the assembly room,. you'd add bones by drawing them using that tool,.
    TIP: use the Quad view option to show the front, left, top and camera view when you're adding bones, so that they're created in the correct place. .. it also helps to have your model in the scene at 0.0.0.

once you've drawn the bones,. You would select the Bones list, and the Model you want to attach the bones to, then go to the Animation menu, and select "Attach skeleton". then , with the bones and figure still selected, go to Animation / Create Animated group.

then you can drag that figure group and save it into your browser.

To edit a model's shape which is rigged with bones,... you need to detach the bones from the model, then attach them again when you're done editing. you'll probably also need to adjust any weight mapping you've painted.

For parenting,.. you would drag an object in the instance list, and drop it onto the object (in the list) you want to parent it to.

:)

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

For parenting... I don't advise it. Use a condom!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

LOL @Barry

Andy, I was using one of the Weapons od Lua. I wanted to enlarge one end while leaving the handle the same size. But after seeing what it looks like without the shark teeth, it ain't what I was looking for.

edited December 1969

LOL @Barry

Andy, I was using one of the Weapons od Lua. I wanted to enlarge one end while leaving the handle the same size. But after seeing what it looks like without the shark teeth, it ain't what I was looking for.

Is that one on the top left MEANT to look like a hairbrush?
    edited December 1969

Look your best and foes will fall at your feet. :D

edited December 1969

Look your best and foes will fall at your feet. :D

If I look my best it's still not all that good!
    edited December 1969

How's everybody?

edited December 1969

Hi LOH :)

Right now I'm loaded with a cold,..

Blum wrote :

For parenting… I don’t advise it. Use a condom!

30 years too late for me .. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi LOH :)

Right now I'm loaded with a cold,..

Blum wrote :

For parenting… I don’t advise it. Use a condom!

30 years too late for me .. :)

lol, the number of times I told my sons that, even had my eldest tell his brother, but I still ended up with 8 grandchildren despite having only the 2 sons myself.

edited December 1969

I'm still trying to straighten out my C8s since finally getting a serial number. I think I have C8Pro working, but the beta has stopped working.

edited December 1969

I confess that I've been doing my dagger modeling in Wings, which doesnt use symmetry. So I cut off one of the guards and flipped it to the other side. But it won't weld because (I think) it's not aligned right. I've exported it to Carrara to try and line it up to weld. Is there a way to snap vertexes together or something?

snip2.JPG
    1280 x 770 - 150K
    edited December 1969

Good Lord, Jacob, I have no idea. I'm sure someone who does know will be along shortly.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    edited December 1969

One thing to try would be to move the two halves apart and then Bridge to joint them, assuming Wings or Carrara has a .bridge function.

edited December 1969

Hi Jacob :)

As Richard suggested, you can select each edge and then use the Bridge tool, (if you have Carrara Pro)

If the problem is that the edges are at an angle which doesn't fit when you bring them together,. you could select each edge, then use the scale tool to flatten them to straight. then bring them together and weld

The Weld panel, also gives you options to weld (selected) or weld within a range (distance)

There's also a Weld "tool" in Carrara, which you can use to select the individual vertices you want to weld.

weld_tool.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 221K
    edited December 1969

Just in case any of you folks are interested in playing with new stuff,...

Pycloid "beta" for carrara is available

it's an enhanced particle system, including fluids..

you can read about it here....

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10339/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

lol, downloaded the zip to my android hours ago, still have not added it to my desktop, got lots of things I need to get off my tablet to use!

edited December 1969

HI Wendy :)

LOL .. I just knew you'd have it... :)

It's quite fun to play with, and nice to watch, ..but some of the settings seem a bit strange, and I don't see a way to start it emitting before the animation begins. .. early days.

edited December 1969

busy rendering something lengthy at the moment, I say moment but more like 24hours!! 2hours in.
    massive scene complete Moonshine diner with animated skeletons in all the seats and 41lights and the 41st is replicated a hundred times along the neon sign outline
    some skeletons are replicated but at least 28 unique figures.
    actually rendering surprisingly quick considering (2min per frame)

edited December 1969

What? You're not gonna entertain us with one of your "example/intro" animaions, are you, Andy? :P

edited December 1969

I still get a chuckle out of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AMRd08KOEU

edited December 1969

Well, the Bridge thing worked and then I just flattened the polys it made. But after I bridged, it made weird lines. I don't know what they are, but I can't select them to delete them.

snip2.JPG
    1280 x 778 - 92K
    edited October 2012

I don't use wings3D but it looks like some edges or vertices have been bridged to the bottom part somewhere.

You could make this part in Carrara's Spline or vertex modeller.

Also, if you have a vector drawing program, and can export AI or EPS, then you can draw the shape,. and import that into the spline modeller, then give it depth

Spline_Hilt.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 253K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

I'm still trying to figure out what all the controls in Pycloid do,. then I'll make a couple of clips.

edited December 1969

Oh, c'mon, Andy. You can figure anything out with just a look. :P

What vector program did you use?

edited December 1969

HI Jacob :)

I use a program called Xara designer pro,. but you could also use Photoshop or (I think) paint-shop pro, and Gimp, since they all have "pen" tools to allow you to draw vector line shapes.and should be able to export as EPS

but... you don't "need" to do it that way, it's just a quick way to import the shape.
    You can draw directly in the spline modeller in Carrara, and you can refine the shape using the little bezier handles on each vertex.
    Once the basic shape is created,. you can adjust the extrusion depth by adjusting the default line on the floor, and you can Add bevels,. or you can convert it into a Vertex model,. instead of a spline,. then edit it further in the vertex modeller.

it's just a quicker way to get that basic shape, without the struggle.

Another way would be to use a "path Sweep" in the vertex modeller,. you'd make a rectangle, and then a curvy line shape.
    You'd select the rectangle,. then click on the Path sweep tool,. and then select the curvy line,. and it'll make a new shape by extracting the rectangle shape along the curvy line path.

edited December 1969

I simply can't find the Pen tool. But i only have PSE7.

edited November 2012

Changing the shader on the pycloid preset examples seems to break them

What's the best way to make a string tied through a hole?

probably drawing a polyline through it in the assembly room with the spanner icon clicky clicked, then you could extrude a tiny shape along it.
    hope you see this, I am avoiding addict status, will mention on Skype.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Hi Wendy :)

I also got some errors just loading a couple of the sample files,.. strange.

I was trying to build up particles, filling a glass, and I can see that it's possible, but it seems to take a long time before they start to build,.. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Jacob :)

I'm not sure if PS elements has the pen tool, but it should be in the main toolbar. ..pic

pspentool.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 186K
    edited December 1969

What's the best way to make a string tied through a hole?