Virtual New Orleans ... lookin for a 3D Big Easy

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited December 1969 in The Commons

The architecture of the French Quarter is unmistakable.

Unfortunately its also darn near impossible to find in 3d world even for sale.

Anyone whose been to the French Quarter knows what I am talking about.

Has ANYONE seen anything CLOSE to models of houses and buildings from the French Quarter?

If you have, please let me know asap and where I can find it.

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

The architecture from the French Quarter is unmistakable and quite European though the influence is Spanish rather than French as the name would infer. New Orleans burned several times and then, while under Spanish rule, was rebuilt in predominantly brick.

NewOrleans.jpg
    600 x 399 - 81K
    neworleansDumaine.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 670K
    1702745-Architecture-New_Orleans.jpg
    375 x 500 - 42K
    new_orleans_architecture_wrought_iron5.jpg
    350 x 483 - 49K
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I've seen this for Vue

http://www.cornucopia3d.com/purchase.php?item_id=11433

I remember in a Cornucopia news email it being highlighted, and I wasn't very impressed with the way they had Jackson Square set up in the images in that email as it had numerous major errors, like a building being in front of the Square when one isn't there.

edited October 2012

Yeah, they have a building right where the riverwalk should be but if you can move the buildings around, that could work.

Is it Vue only?

Post edited by RKane_1 on
    edited October 2012

And they have no actual Jackson Square, did you notice? *laugh*

They put the riverwalk smack in the middle of Jackson Square and no Cabildo.... Heh... still, I like the buildings and could use them if they are .obj files.

That would be convenient.

edited December 1969

Vue only.

It ought to have no buildings on the side opposite the Cathedral, Decatur Street. the building needs to go and you'd have the Jax Brewery Mall entrance, the Moonwalk, and Cafe Du Monde right across the street.

I'll look around and see if I can find anything else that you might be able to use.

edited December 1969

I said riverwalk because I was talking to a freind about San Antonio recently. Yes, I m sorry. Moonwalk which they have but in the place where Jackson Square is.

My wife and I were down there a few years ago for our honeymoon and I am from Louisiana but from a decade or more ago.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Does it have to be correct?
    Similar buildings (on clearance):
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/beau-quartier/63274

edited December 1969

Bonus points if it is but close is good too. There is only one pic there though so I can't accurately judge that well.

Crap. I may have to buy Vue just to have something close to New Orleans. *chuckle*

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited October 2012

ROTFL on the buying Vue! Well, Pioneer is cheaper ...
    (I've got Pro, and only an outdated version at that)

Look at the editorial tab at Renderosity (of the item in my link), that is where all the descriptions are on older items. It got confusing with a store update ... (sounds familiar, doesn't it? ;) )

Post edited by Kerya on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    edited December 1969

There are more pics under the editorial tab.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    ROTFL on the buying Vue! Well, Pioneer is cheaper ...
    (I've got Pro, and only an outdated version at that)

Look at the editorial tab at Renderosity (of the item in my link), that is where all the descriptions are on older items. It got confusing with a store update ... (sounds familiar, doesn't it? ;) )

I would have to buy Frontier if i wanted to import DAZ figures thru Collada, though and that is a $100 investment. *sigh*

edited December 1969

There are more pics under the editorial tab.

Thanks, Firstbastion.

The buildings are great and have a European feel but are definately not the Veiux Carre.

That Vue set is about the closest yet

edited December 1969

Frontier, which is what I have. I'm using an older version it has been away with a couple of 3D magazines. I think last magazine I saw that gave away a copy of it ran about $15

Yeah, noticed lots of problems with it just looking at the promo images. Also, it is amazing how many things you don't catch right away and walk through the Square at least once a week.

I'm still looking for any 3D resources that could help you out.

Surprised I don't see more considering how many films are being done in the city now and how they even pass off locations as being other cities.

edited December 1969

Not to mention how much vampire fiction happens there and hwo many fanboys and girls love doing the renders of such.

Not to mention how colorful and festive the MArdi Gras renders would be.

New Orleans is almost a person with as much character as she has.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

I bought the one from cornucopia. It was the only model that I've seen that even came close to the French quarter spanish/french architecture. I used it in Daz studio transited via Cararra. It is gigantic, so it can slow down DAZ studio. But the surfaces are set up correctly for you to redo them with shaders or textures.

St_Charles_Mardi_Gras.png
    1440 x 900 - 3M
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

RKane, I know what you mean. Used to live there myself. Nothing else like it anywhere. Note that most of the old brick buildings are no more than 2 stories tall. Wood ones too. There is an above-ground cemetery model somewhere in the 3d-verse. From a distance, wrought iron railings could be faked with transmaps applied to simple primitives. Won't work close up, tho. Still need buildings with 2nd floor balconies, which probably don't exist. It is surprising how little there is available, given the lore.

edited December 1969

Crap... I don't have Carrarra.

What is the file format of the files?

edited October 2012

RKane, I know what you mean. Used to live there myself. Nothing else like it anywhere. Note that most of the old brick buildings are no more than 2 stories tall. Wood ones too. There is an above-ground cemetery model somewhere in the 3d-verse. From a distance, wrought iron railings could be faked with transmaps applied to simple primitives. Won't work close up, tho. Still need buildings with 2nd floor balconies, which probably don't exist. It is surprising how little there is available, given the lore.

Agreed. New Orleans has so much history, SO many legends and ghost stories, and such a rich culture; I am amazed more 3D work has not been done on it.

I need stuff for a project I was thinking about doing but man, I am sure it would sell if it was created and put up for sale.

edited December 1969

One of the legends about Marie Laveau is that she would dress one of her daughters the same as herself and they would go to different places so "Marie Laveau" could be seen in 2 places at once. She is believed to be interred in the St. Louis Cemetery #1. One of the spookiest places on earth has to be the New Orleans cemeteries at night. Naturally, night tours are offered...

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

The cemetary set is Cypress Grove I think it's by Ant Farm.

It is odd that there aren't more New Orleans style sets out there. I'd expect that sort of thing at maybe Mirye, or one of those markets.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    The cemetary set is Cypress Grove I think it's by Ant Farm.

It is odd that there aren't more New Orleans style sets out there. I'd expect that sort of thing at maybe Mirye, or one of those markets.

I KNOW! Right? You'd think with all the Goth pics out there "VAMPIRE MECCA" would be high on the list.

;-)

edited October 2012

This item could almost pass for the Court of Two Sisters:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/environments-props/cityscapes-buildings/spanish-rose-chalet-de-sevilla

I think the other option, if you really want an authentic view of Bourbon Street or Jackson Square, is to use photos of the actual locations along with the pwCatch utility to integrate 3d renders with photo backdrops. I just picked that item up on sale cheep! Have not tried it yet.
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pwcatch

Edit:
    Some of Faveral's stuff looks pretty close:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/faveral
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/le-village-bundle

Post edited by SlimerJSpud on
    edited December 1969

Found these:

House model free.

http://www.123dapp.com/123C-3D-Model/French-Quarter-Building/591932

Model of the city in various formats.

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/preview.aspx?modelcode=25334

Still looking. Haven't had much time to be online lately.

Interesting note the supposed vampire legends and junk you'll hear if you do the Vampire Tour were created by the people doing the tour. Skeptical Inquirer had a good article that mentioned that I believe a year ago, and when my friend's wife was researching her book on Louisiana Ghosts she mentioned the same thing to me and pointed out specific examples.

If you do need to get Carrara you ca get a free copy of 6 Pro on the disk that comes in the 1st edition Figures, Characters and Avatars: The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio to Create Beautiful Art, by Les Pardew.

edited December 1969

There was no vampire lore in New Orleans before Anne Rice. :lol: Ghosts, voodoo priestesses, pirates, yes, but no neck biters. I love her writings, tho. Her favorite cities in the world are Paris, New Orleans, and San Francisco.

I've used this set before. It's a bit more modern, tho.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/27192/View/11/Poser/French-Village

edited December 1969

There was no vampire lore in New Orleans before Anne Rice. :lol: Ghosts, voodoo priestesses, pirates, yes, but no neck biters. I love her writings, tho. Her favorite cities in the world are Paris, New Orleans, and San Francisco.

I agree that Anne Rice is to blame/celebrate for it. *chuckle*

Marie Laveau and the HooDoo man and Ghosts and Zombies and other wonderful things are a rich backdrop for some renders.

Man, I hope that the Big Easy value pack comes in .obj file format. That would rock.

edited October 2012

Some Vue content at Cornacopia 3D can be purchased in "unlocked" format. It costs more, but it can be imported into any number of other programs. You may have to texture them yourself, or apply the textures manually. I bought the Scottish Castle some time ago, and have used it in a number of things. But it comes in untextured.

ETA: I went and looked the value pack (and it *is* a considerable value!) seems only to be available in "locked" version. The individual pieces can be purchased in "standard distribution". You might want to contact someone at the site to determine whether the stuff can be brought in as .objs.

However, there are nine pieces, plus a ground plane (which is sold separately) and the price difference between locked to your Vue license and the "standard" version is about a 30% markup.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • GranvilleGranville Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I bought that model from cornucopia that was unlocked - not licensed to my copy of view. I don't use view. I really wanted to use DAZ studio. But I had to transit via carrara to get the model to actually load. Saved in DAZ obj format. The model is so gigantic (about 4 blocks) that it can really slow your computer down. I too would love just one French Quarter building on it's own.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I bought that model from cornucopia that was unlocked - not licensed to my copy of view. I don't use view. I really wanted to use DAZ studio. But I had to transit via carrara to get the model to actually load. Saved in DAZ obj format. The model is so gigantic (about 4 blocks) that it can really slow your computer down. I too would love just one French Quarter building on it's own.

If you buy the Big Easy Value pack, can you not separate them?

edited December 1969

There are seven different houses. But separately in unlocked versions they come to about $15-something each. Judging from the one I looked at the pop-up for. Given that the whole pack is about $25...

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

You know, I'd love to have new Orleans in my runtime too, I think the best people to ask is Meshbox Designs. It would make a great series for them.