Way to speed up multiple-light renders?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have an i7 920 for my processor and an AMD 4800 for a videocard. It was pretty high-end when I bought it... 2 years ago. Is there a way for this machine to take less time in rendering? For example, when I load up pretty much any detailed scene with included lights (Enchanted Forest), it takes up to 30 minutes for 1 render!

I like to create small animations and comic book stuff. 30 minute renders aren't really an option.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I have an i7 920 for my processor and an AMD 4800 for a videocard. It was pretty high-end when I bought it... 2 years ago. Is there a way for this machine to take less time in rendering? For example, when I load up pretty much any detailed scene with included lights (Enchanted Forest), it takes up to 30 minutes for 1 render!

I like to create small animations and comic book stuff. 30 minute renders aren't really an option.

Tips I've gleaned include:

close from the scene anything not actually IN the render

turn off shadows for anything in the scene not required to cast shadows

hide any unseen body parts or objects etc

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

When rendering using the 3Delight render engine Daz Studio it doesn't use the Graphics Card to render, instead it uses the Processor and Ram.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to do both?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to do both?

Use something else...

GPU rendering either needs a 'game engine' or something like Octane.

But for the kind of rendering you want, 3Delight is pretty much the best there is. It's a toss up between which is used more in a production environment...3Delight or Prman.

You could use the stand alone 3Delight (it is core locked to two cores, though) and render in the background or on a different machine.

Make sure only one light is your 'shadow caster'.