Why the Free Stuff?

cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am DIGGIN the latest freebies from DAZ (DS/Bryce/Hex) like I'm sure most folks are, and I'm not tryin to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why are they doing that? Bryce and DS are top-notch programs for something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, don't know about Hex for sure yet, but this seems like an immense giveaway!

I know the folks at DAZ are great guys and all that, but businesses don't usually give away 3 of their best packages for free (if they're in business to make money).

Not being suspicious here at all - I don't care if the motives are altruistic or not, I would expect there to be some benefit for DAZ in this - they're a business :)

I guess what really concerns me is, could these apps be headed for the eventual trash-heap? Doesn't seem to make sense that they would sh*t-can their flagship (or at least namesake) product, DS, but I have often felt that Bryce's days were numbered...

Anyone have insight on this?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2012

DAZ 3D's main market is Content, so giving the apps away, or selling them at 100% discount rather, was done to stimulate the content market.

There always was a free version of Daz Studio,, just that now it is the latest fully specified version.

Equally there was a free version of Bryce, called the PLE. Now you get the full program for that price.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    DAZ 3D's main market is Content, so giving the apps away, or selling them at 100% discount rather, was done to stimulate the content market.

There always was a free version of Daz Studio,, just that now it is the latest fully specified version.

Equally there was a free version of Bryce, called the PLE. Now you get the full program for that price.

Makes sense - I figured the content was a big draw, didn't realize it was that big.

DAZ Rocks! All I can say..... (now off to play with my new toys :) )

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

This is really a marketing strategy. Give the software away, sell the content that most people will need to use the software. If DAZ studio cost $50 or $100 dollars, that would be a barrier to entry. Somebody who casually thinks he/she might be interested in try 3D drawing/animation, will be reluctant to pay money for a software they are not sure they will really use. They are much more likely to try it if the software if it is free and there is enough free content to let them try it. Now many of those people will lose interest and never buy any content, but a few who never would have bought the software in the first place, will buy content. Those are customers DAZ never would have gotten without the free software.

There also is other 3D drawing and animation software out there that is free, like blender. DAZ has to competing against that too.

You see similar strategies used in many businesses. Companies like HP, Canon, Epson, ... sell their printers at a loss and make their money selling ink or toner cartridges.

There are risks to this strategy. There is a lot of free content available, but most of the free content is built around some DAZ content that is not free, like the Evolution morphs or the Victoria, Michael, Stephannie figures.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Lolz, you said Bryce's days are numbered in front of Chohole. You're days are numbered!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I sort of ignored that part. Us Brycers are a dogged sort, we will not let Bryce disappear..

• joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 298
    edited December 1969

mark said:
    This is really a marketing strategy. Give the software away, sell the content that most people will need to use the software. If DAZ studio cost $50 or $100 dollars, that would be a barrier to entry. Somebody who casually thinks he/she might be interested in try 3D drawing/animation, will be reluctant to pay money for a software they are not sure they will really use. They are much more likely to try it if the software if it is free and there is enough free content to let them try it. Now many of those people will lose interest and never buy any content, but a few who never would have bought the software in the first place, will buy content. Those are customers DAZ never would have gotten without the free software.

There also is other 3D drawing and animation software out there that is free, like blender. DAZ has to competing against that too.

You see similar strategies used in many businesses. Companies like HP, Canon, Epson, ... sell their printers at a loss and make their money selling ink or toner cartridges.

There are risks to this strategy. There is a lot of free content available, but most of the free content is built around some DAZ content that is not free, like the Evolution morphs or the Victoria, Michael, Stephannie figures.

The model may be slightly risky, but it's tried and true - it goes all the way back to, of all things, disposable razor blades. I read in James Dunnigan's book "Dirty Little Secrets of the 20th Century" some years ago that William (?) Gillette came up with the idea when marketing his first razor back in the 1910's; sell the basic razor (with a couple of blades) cheap, and make the real money on blade refills.

I know that Daz Studio's "free" price was the key point in getting me to try it; I don't have a whole lot of money to toss around (who does, in today's economy?) so if it'd been $100 or something like that as I think it used to be before February, I'd pretty much have been locked out from it. (Particularly since I've already spent that much or more on other PC software this year, especially Guild Wars 2!)

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

It used to be more expensive than just 100 $.

• Ripley KingRipley King Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I love this stuff! And what I've been doing with the free content. I also bought content, and will continue to buy more, so I don't see any problems with their overall marketing strategy. As for Bryce, I would rather build my poses and such in DAZ, and then import to Bryce for the final render. I have the poses, but manipulating the materials (props, characters) is easier in Bryce.

FIVE_COVER.JPG
    800 x 1200 - 506K
  • Ripley KingRipley King Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My last render using DAZ for a start, and then Bryce to set up the scene.

Eona_Test.JPG
    800 x 1200 - 711K
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Lolz, you said Bryce's days are numbered in front of Chohole. You're days are numbered!

Hey, I'm just happy that someone with a big stick wants to keep Bryce around, LOL!