Questions regarding free content 'for' purchased items in the store.

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Okay ... let's say one has several texture images that could be used on a particular clothing item sold in the store.

I'm using D/S4.0 for the time being.

If I create mat files 'for' new textures [I make] 'for' clothing 'somebody else made' ... where in the folders of D/S4 do people want them to appear?

For eg. The Summer Dress is followed in the Content Manager by a texture set called Breezy.

Would it be preferable for me to have my texture item then inside that subfolder for Summer Dress so its folder is nestled beside that of Breezy?
Or somewhere else altogether ... like we used to do in D/S3?

If people want metadata for either 4.0 or 4.5, are there any 'templates' I can fill in to produce these? [or if there's a magik button to push in 4.0 that generates this, where is it located?]

Thank you.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I was persuaded by quite a few people that the best way was to make sure that the mat pose folders all started with my name, so people could have a chohole folder, but then I did make a few textures. :roll:

And I make my texture folders and Mat pose folders have the same name, not different names. I direct the path on the mat poses to a texture folder called chohole, and then in there I have separate folders for each set, with the same name as the mat pose folder.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I was persuaded by quite a few people that the best way was to make sure that the mat pose folders all started with my name, so people could have a chohole folder, but then I did make a few textures. :roll:

And I make my texture folders and Mat pose folders have the same name, not different names. I direct the path on the mat poses to a texture folder called chohole, and then in there I have separate folders for each set, with the same name as the mat pose folder.

With regards to the texture folder, definitely that's under my name! I wouldn't want to chance overwriting anybody else's work.

Came across your new [?] website last night ... that's quite the display! Don't think I'll ever make quite as many as you have done, nor near so lovely ... but a little here and there, providing some diversity for folk.

Are you making metadata?

edited October 2012

nope, I make the Poser mat poses, Neil adds DS mat files for me And so far Neil hasn't added any metadata that I know of.

Do textures need metadata ?

And the site isn't new, just moved to a different server.

Asked Neil and he says no he doesn't do metadata for freebies. When he is working as a PA, the QA people add the metadata.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    nope, I make the Poser mat poses, Neil adds DS mat files for me And so far Neil hasn't added any metadata that I know of.

Asked Neil and he says no he doesn't do metadata for freebies. When he is working as a PA, the QA people add the metadata.

Okay! :-) Then I shall not fret over this either.

Hope the new home works out well for you ... I was thinking 'remember the bandwidth' while visiting and only took a few items ;-)

edited December 1969

My host, who is a member here, does keep an eye on the bandwidth, but so far we haven't had any real hiccups, not like we did before when Francemi was hosting me. It was mass downloaders that hit us there.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited October 2012

chohole said:

Metadata is as handy for textures as for anything else. I click on Genesis and all the hair models I intend to use with it are in the Hair category section; I click on the hair and all the textures for that particular hair appear. I've set metadata for a good deal of my runtime now. I've never been a fan of the Poser runtime system and adding metadata means I have to go in there less and less. It becomes very quick when you get the hang of it—categorize and add database entry (setting type and compatibility). If you are adding a new figure, then it's a matter of also creating compatibility base for it and scene identification data, but it takes me just a few minutes per product. You should probably create product data if you are actually putting a product together, but I don't bother with that myself as it's not essential.
    Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
    edited December 1969

I am told that if you are making add on textures for store products that already have metadata it is not really neccessary.

But as a Poser user, I can only go on what I am told..

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

Would it be preferable for me to have my texture item then inside that subfolder for Summer Dress so its folder is nestled beside that of Breezy?

This is what I would prefer. The less time I have to spend navigating back and forth through directories, the happier I am.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    chohole said:

Okay! :-) Then I shall not fret over this either.

Hope the new home works out well for you ... I was thinking 'remember the bandwidth' while visiting and only took a few items ;-)

You don't need to create metadata, but then people won't be able to use your textures in Smart Content. However, it is grossly incorrect to say that "add on textures for store products that already have metadata it is not really neccessary". They do NEED metadata otherwise they won't work, but if you're doing a freebie you can choose to skip the metadata. I'm sure no-one will complain if its a freebie.

There's a link in my sig to the DAZ Studio Metadata Toolkit for creating & dsitributing your own metadata. I strongly recommend you read the entire tutorial otherwise you are likely to get stuck.

Good luck!! :-)

Thank you ;-)

edited December 1969

But then even some of the die hard DS users don't bother with smart content and metadata.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    But then even some of the die hard DS users don't bother with smart content and metadata.

Yep, and it doesn't matter to us where you put the MAT files as we'll always move them to suit our needs.
    edited December 1969

Agreed, I am very much a DIY person, when it come to organising my runtimes.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

I think this has a lot to do with whether you use Genesis extensively and have a lot of products that have metadata with them by default. I find it's much easier using these products via Smart Content than from the DAZ Formats Content Library folder, which is even more confusing for me than the Poser Formats library. This gets you using SC and you start to see the benefits. Otherwise you aren't going to see the point of it. By adding metadata to the rest of your stuff you will then only have one place to go for content instead of two or possibly three. I think it is newer users who are going to be more motivated to understand and use SC for this reason.

I've only fairly recently started using Smart Content for "runtime" stuff and I had up until that point extensively reorganized my runtime, but I now find SC more convenient. I'm also probably weird in quite enjoying adding metadata—I find it quite fun!

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    I think this has a lot to do with whether you use Genesis extensively and have a lot of products that have metadata with them by default. I find it's much easier using these products via Smart Content than from the DAZ Formats Content Library folder, which is even more confusing for me than the Poser Formats library. This gets you using SC and you start to see the benefits. Otherwise you aren't going to see the point of it. By adding metadata to the rest of your stuff you will then only have one place to go for content instead of two or possibly three. I think it is newer users who are going to be more motivated to understand and use SC for this reason.

I've only fairly recently started using Smart Content for "runtime" stuff and I had up until that point extensively reorganized my runtime, but I now find SC more convenient. I'm also probably weird in quite enjoying adding metadata—I find it quite fun!

Me too! I think the enjoyment has to do with stimulating different parts of the brain. I'm at my happiest when I've got several things happening at once, and usually something technical like coding, something artsy like a Reality render, and something organizationy like my Smart Content and metadata. I find it very satisfying to have my stuff properly organized, and working with product thumbnails rather than files adds a tremendously pleasant aesthetic. I used to play Napoleonic wargames as a kid and I got a kick out of having my guns, dragoons and hussars all nicely lined up before battle :-)

Please tell me if you think this is off-topic and I'll edit it to say something sensible (and a little less embarrassing).

Well, I created my very first "metadata". As one of the key .pdf files got damaged somehow in transferring between my online and offline computers; it was partly following one of the instruction .pdf files and partly guess work. End result, well it works on my computer and I'll guess it might on somebody else's ;-)

Notes I made 'til about page 7...

tips for adding new items to Smart Content:

For the "Scan for New Files", UNCHECK the "only new items".

In discovering "how to" "where to" it could be that one puts a reference where it is not wanted. So yes one can 'remove/delete REFERENCE' ... and after removing all the references one may discover that no matter how many times the search for content is repeated one's product is simply not going to reappear in the "Unassigned" section.

Brainwave Strikes Again! :-)

Close D/S4 and open the real folders, slide to the Desktop the actual folder containing the desired product.

Open D/S4 and run the search for products gizmo.

Close D/S4.

Open the real folders and slide back into its place, the desired product waiting on the Desktop.

Open D/S4 and run the search again checking to look for 'new' ... and there it'll be! :-) [was trying to get it to show up in the unassigned once more]

If I set up other categories are they only on my computer or will they also appear in other 4.0 programs in which this product is installed?

[we were told that Napoleon had cold hands and that's why in his portraits he often had one hidden]

wherefind2.png
    380 x 303 - 21K
    I_did_it.png
    624 x 181 - 16K
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:

Me too! I think the enjoyment has to do with stimulating different parts of the brain. I'm at my happiest when I've got several things happening at once, and usually something technical like coding, something artsy like a Reality render, and something organizationy like my Smart Content and metadata. I find it very satisfying to have my stuff properly organized, and working with product thumbnails rather than files adds a tremendously pleasant aesthetic. I used to play Napoleonic wargames as a kid and I got a kick out of having my guns, dragoons and hussars all nicely lined up before battle :-)

Please tell me if you think this is off-topic and I'll edit it to say something sensible (and a little less embarrassing).

Well, I created my very first "metadata". As one of the key .pdf files got damaged somehow in transferring between my online and offline computers; it was partly following one of the instruction .pdf files and partly guess work. End result, well it works on my computer and I'll guess it might on somebody else's ;-)

Notes I made 'til about page 7...

tips for adding new items to Smart Content:

For the "Scan for New Files", UNCHECK the "only new items".

In discovering "how to" "where to" it could be that one puts a reference where it is not wanted. So yes one can 'remove/delete REFERENCE' ... and after removing all the references one may discover that no matter how many times the search for content is repeated one's product is simply not going to reappear in the "Unassigned" section.

Brainwave Strikes Again! :-)

Close D/S4 and open the real folders, slide to the Desktop the actual folder containing the desired product.

Open D/S4 and run the search for products gizmo.

Close D/S4.

Open the real folders and slide back into its place, the desired product waiting on the Desktop.

Open D/S4 and run the search again checking to look for 'new' ... and there it'll be! :-) [was trying to get it to show up in the unassigned once more]

If I set up other categories are they only on my computer or will they also appear in other 4.0 programs in which this product is installed?

[we were told that Napoleon had cold hands and that's why in his portraits he often had one hidden]

editing to add that no, how I categorized the item did not travel over to the tester's program. oh well ...

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited October 2012

cridgit said:
    So glad to hear you've done it! :-)

Thank you. The next one I try will be more complicated having the mats to include if all goes well.

.... edit ...

You can easily see all the references if you right-click in Content Library and select Categorize, the categories containing a reference to the selected item will be shaded. Unchecking some of these is the same as "remove reference" but it won't let you uncheck all references so doing it this way will ensure you never "lose" a reference.

Yes however Brainy here was trying to make new categories and made quite the mess. I think it's all cleared up now. Will take a peek another day ;-)

... edit ...

Clever brainwave, but the long way :-) It will reappear if you repeat the content search and uncheck Show Only New Items as you suggested above. Either use Categorize (not Remove Reference) as I explained above then you will never "lose" references, or repeat the search without Show Only New Items to rediscover all your lost references.

Well, if one has 'accidentally' put references in too many places and then forgets one here and there, it will not reappear in unassigned until those are all found and cleared. Then after telling the program to remove 'em all; I wonder myself if it was a little too much and it simply wouldn't recognize the item at all anymore. I was being careful to repeat the searches several times but it just wasn't catching it. [no matter what I checked or unchecked] ... but thankfully the brainwave worked and "all's well that ends well". :-)

Yes it will, but you need to save your product metadata file after adding the categories, otherwise they are not saved into the DSX file. I suggest you try to re-download part 3 of the tutorial as it explains how to distribute your metadata.

By the way, if you are going to be distributing your metadata, I suggest you read along with the rest of us on the guidelines here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7542/ If everyone uses different guidelines it will become a complete mess.

Okay, I don't recall in which order that was made so I'll make note to try that over and see what happens.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
    Also having these happy memories of when I first shared out anything ... since there was no where a clear concept of "how to make a mat file" ... I simply redistributed the flat piece of image and let people do whatever they wanted with it. Given the number of programs available at the moment and how each has its own quirks, that might turn out to be the best way. We'll see how things go next month.

edit: found thread. hehehe okay ... well I got the 'actor' part right :-)

No themes!!!! .... "no comment" ...

"happy memories" ... hehehe .... might do the mat files though since I now have a mat creator ;-)

Cheers

Post edited by patience55 on