3Delight Discussion

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited September 2012

Well looky there, you are indeed correct! I hadn't noticed that it was missing there. But then again, I don't use the scripted mode much. It could be that the scripting engine needs the files in specific places in order to do its job.

Could be, but judging from the scripts, I'm not sure this is the case. The scripts simply implement two passes needed to generate the point cloud first and then render. The only hindrance I can think of might be the standard "collect and localise" subroutine in DS not being configured to recognise the .ptc as one of the files that would need to be collected... but to test this I need the docs.

The raytracing engine in 3DL was improved drastically in the 10. series. There was an issue where starting up had huge overhead. That overhead has been completely removed and the raytracer can now start pretty much immediately. Also, the speed of the tracer itself was improved. According to reports, it should now be faster to use the raytracer than the shadow maps. I have not personally tested this as I don't normally use shadow maps to start with. Now, on to your question... I haven't tried the GI mode in 4.5 yet. I guess I should.

If only we could convince DNA to get on the GPU assisted wagon.

Thanks for the info! I should transfer that scene into 4.5 and see how it fares. I generally don't like raytraced shadows because they require a softness percentage to look more natural, and those softness calculations used to be a real performance hog as well, but if that has been dealt with by chance, I might consider using them more often - especially for larger scenes like landscapes, where DSMs can get unwieldy with higher sample rates and a lot of detail in the scene.

...I wonder if blurred raytraced reflections are now faster. So many things to test, so little time...

As for GPU assisted rendering... I guess they will take advantage of this, in due time. From what I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, GPU acceleration is not that widely used in film industry yet, and isn't 3Delight primarily geared at movie studios?

Yes, the movie industry is indeed one of the biggest users of 3DL. However, "The Avengers" used a Realtime GPU assisted 3D rendering and motion capture for the work on the Hulk. 3Delight has been the "Go To" for the Marvel series and it looks like 3Delight may have been left out of the loop here.

GPU stream processing REALLY speeds up raytracing. Massively parallel processing allows for a ray per stream to be actualized. If one has 1024 streams (like on some ATI cards) that is 1024 pixels at once. The trick is the linking process between CPU/GPU and management of GPU Memory resources. Current unbiased renderers load all of the textures as well as the geometry into the GPU memory, hence requiring a large amount of memory to be available or the reduction of geometry or textures. There is work on going for a more effective use of the GPU. Here's a quick overview... For instance, in a general scene, the ratio of rays that impact a specific object's bounding box is relatively small. In a portrait, less than 25%. So if the GPUs are used to preclear Viewport LoS (line of sight) collisions with bounding boxes (returning booleans) then the CPU can create a tree of areas where actual processing needs to be done. Then the CPU feeds those regions into memory and sets the GPUs loose to create base texture mapping. Next a reflection bounce collision tree is computed. Once this is done, one can load the lights and compute luminosity maps, execute dynamic radiosity and adjust surface brightness accordingly. The final step is to apply LoS reflectivity.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited September 2012

@mjc1016 : could you post the specs of your pc and what you used as a graphic card and also what's really in the scene and you render settings and resolution please? It's difficult to have a real idea with just your pictures

The latest 3DL is indeed very quick and It never needed more than 1 hour since the engine update. Even tried some scene with raytraced reflexions, volumetrics, SSS and other things. By the way, did you notice the UE GI and indirect light now work better?

Btw I'm on windows and the standalone with 2 cores is slower than the internal with 4 cores.

Athlon 64 x2 4400, 4 GB RAM. GT 430 1 GB running Slackware64 13.37.

The scene consists of V4, the hair (Erriene), the lace wrap (a simple plain draped in Blender with a tiled shader/lace pattern...Fabricator preset) applied, a plain as the backdrop and 3 lights. (DzAmbient shader light with AO on, a 'standard' spot as a key light, it's the shadow caster and a distant light for fill.

I haven't done much rendering in 4 since I updated to 4.5, so...no. I'm needing to do some promo shots for an item I'm packing up, so I'll be doing them tonight, I hope.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited September 2012

Current unbiased renderers load all of the textures as well as the geometry into the GPU memory, hence requiring a large amount of memory to be available or the reduction of geometry or textures. There is work on going for a more effective use of the GPU.

LuxRender's Hybrid mode implements something along the lines of what you describe. It does not store textures in GPU memory. It generates bundles of rays to trace, hands them to the GPU to do the actual tracing, and then based on the results applies the texturing in CPU-space. The thing is, the CPU<->GPU interactions are kinda slow (and I get the impression this is a hardware thing, not a software implementation thing), so on 'simple' scenes, it's actually SLOWER than CPU-only rendering because of the overhead passing things back and forth between CPU-space and GPU-space. To see a benefit from the GPU, you need a scene with complex geometry.

Now, Lux's hybrid modes are also still not really ready for prime time. Hybrid Path mostly works, though there are some features that it doesn't support (like instances). Hybrid BiDir still has some serious issues, even by the Lux dev's own admission. Since the official Lux 1.0 release a month or so ago, they've started doing work to unify a some of the code between CPU LuxRender and the LuxRays library (their GPU library), so hopefully that will help clean up some of the problems with the Hybrid render modes. (E.g., LuxRays is missing some of the NaN and other numerical exception handling that CPU LuxRender has.)

Post edited by cwichura on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2012

finally got around to trying this again. I tried a few days ago but it wouldn't save the render file. Only had time to troubleshoot that today. (windows7 was protecting the directory)

Anyway I've got a quadcore and rendering out of Studio is still faster but the standalone still has it's advantages. simple scene but here is the score

Studio 4.5 1 min 33 seconds
    Standalone 2 min 17 seconds + 9 seconds for studio to create the rib

So the standalone is impressive! for only two cores it was very close to the quad core performance. I will probably use the standalone to render batches of images since it will allow me to step away or work on something else.

I've been converted.

EDIT: I take that back for now. I don't have time to troubleshoot unfortunately so I'll have to stick to my system of using studio. I compared the standalone render to the studio and there are noticeable differences in some of the materials. Also I can't seem to get the batch render to not overwrite the same file. I thought the filename in studio would be how the standalone would name things but everything keeps getting named render.tiff. oh well

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited October 2012

I just downloaded the free standalone 3Delight and am trying to render a scene, but I don't think anything's happening. There doesn't seem to be an actual "application" just a .dylib file. I've tried following the instructions in the user manual, and in the thread from the old site, but all I get in the "Terminal—bash" window is "Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$. No render window, nothing.

I did a standard install. Am I missing something? Is it rendering? What's the deal? How do I use this? I'm on a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini running OSX Snow Leopard.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited October 2012

I just downloaded the free standalone 3Delight and am trying to render a scene, but I don't think anything's happening. There doesn't seem to be an actual "application" just a .dylib file. I've tried following the instructions in the user manual, and in the thread from the old site, but all I get in the "Terminal—bash" window is "Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$. No render window, nothing.

I did a standard install. Am I missing something? Is it rendering? What's the deal? How do I use this? I'm on a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini running OSX Snow Leopard.

On the Mac the use of 3Delight is a bit "unconventional." First, you will need to output your scene to .rib. You do this via the "Advanced Render Settings" tab. You will need to use the Command Line (or Terminal) in order to use the 3Delight renderer. It cannot be done via the GUI.

You will need to "cd" to the location that you output the .rib file. Once there you will execute the "renderdl" command to actually start the renderer. There are several options that can be set via command line flags that you may or may not need to use depending of what you desire to do.

Kendall

edited December 1969

On the Mac the use of 3Delight is a bit "unconventional." First, you will need to output your scene to .rib. You do this via the "Advanced Render Settings" tab. You will need to use the Command Line (or Terminal) in order to use the 3Delight renderer. It cannot be done via the GUI.

You will need to "cd" to the location that you output the .rib file. Once there you will execute the "renderdl" command to actually start the renderer. There are several options that can be set via command line flags that you may or may not need to use depending of what you desire to do.

Kendall I made the RIB file and used the terminal. The above Terminal—Bash window is the only thing that comes up.

I'm not sure what you mean by ""cd" to the location" though.

edited October 2012

Kendall

I made the RIB file and used the terminal. The above Terminal—Bash window is the only thing that comes up.

You will need to note the path that you used to save the rib file. Once your terminal is up you will type something like:

cd < path you used for the .rib >
    renderdl -q -id .rib { this is if you want to watch the render proceed. slower than not }
    or
    renderdl -q .rib { this will not show a window }

when the command completes, you will have a file called "render.tiff" that contains your image.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kendall

I made the RIB file and used the terminal. The above Terminal—Bash window is the only thing that comes up.

You will need to note the path that you used to save the rib file. Once your terminal is up you will type something like:

renderdl -q -id .rib { this is if you want to watch the render proceed. slower than not }
    or

when the command completes, you will have a file called "render.tiff" that contains your image.

Kendall

OK, Tried that. and these are what I get:

when trying the cd, I get: Last login: Wed Oct 24 18:21:26 on ttys000
    cd ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd ; exit;
    -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$

when running the Renderdl, I get:
    Last login: Wed Oct 24 18:21:26 on ttys000
    cd ; exit;

edited October 2012

Kendall

or

Kendall

cd ; exit;

cd ; exit;

The "<" and ">" are not used. They were there to delimit where you put variable information as opposed to verbatim information.

Also, spaces will need to be prefaced by a backslash "\". So here would be "correct" versions of your commands:

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB\ files/
    renderdl -q -id First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib

Kendall

PS
    You may want to read this: http://www.hypexr.org/bash_tutorial.php

edited December 1969

Still not working. All I got was this: Last login: Wed Oct 24 18:41:52 on ttys000
    renderdl -q -id First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    renderdl: cannot open input file 'First Trick or Treat.rib' (system error: No such file or directory)
    logout

[Process completed]

Last login: Wed Oct 24 18:45:29 on ttys000
    renderdl -q -id /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB files/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat_collected/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB files/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat_collected/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    renderdl: cannot open input file '/Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB' (system error: No such file or directory)
    renderdl: cannot open input file 'files/First Trick or Treat_collected/First Trick or Treat.rib' (system error: No such file or directory)
    logout

[Process completed]

edited October 2012

Still not working. All I got was this: Last login: Wed Oct 24 18:41:52 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    renderdl: cannot open input file 'First Trick or Treat.rib' (system error: No such file or directory)
    logout

[Process completed]

Last login: Wed Oct 24 18:45:29 on ttys000
    renderdl -q -id /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB files/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat_collected/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB files/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat_collected/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    renderdl: cannot open input file '/Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB' (system error: No such file or directory)
    renderdl: cannot open input file 'files/First Trick or Treat_collected/First Trick or Treat.rib' (system error: No such file or directory)
    logout

[Process completed]

Do not use "exit" after the line.

Open a terminal, and type the command "pwd" and hit enter. Send the results to me.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Re-export everything, this time, to a directory and file name without any spaces...yeah, it shouldn't matter, but sometimes it does.

edited October 2012

Kendall

or

Kendall

cd ; exit;

cd ; exit;

The "<" and ">" are not used. They were there to delimit where you put variable information as opposed to verbatim information.

Also, spaces will need to be prefaced by a backslash "\". So here would be "correct" versions of your commands:

Kendall

PS

OK, I retried and it seems to be working, though wth a lot of "ERROR" messages coming up, but the path doesn't seem to be using the file inside of the First Trick or Treat_Collected folder, which contains all of the .tdl files.

Here's what I got when I did the "pwd" command:

Last login: Wed Oct 24 18:59:34 on ttys000
    pwd ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB\ files/
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:RIB files TrampGraphics$ pwd ; exit;
    /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB files
    logout

[Process completed]

edited October 2012

Kendall

or

Kendall

cd ; exit;

cd ; exit;

Kendall

PS

OK, I retried and it seems to be working, though wth a lot of "ERROR" messages coming up, but the path doesn't seem to be using the file inside of the First Trick or Treat_Collected folder, which contains all of the .tdl files.

pwd ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB\ files/
    logout

[Process completed]

OK. Change the "cd" to be the following:

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB\ files/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat_collected

forget that the "exit" command exists. If you need to close the shell use ctrl-d. BTW, spaces are evil.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kendall

or

Kendall

cd ; exit;

cd ; exit;

Kendall

PS

pwd ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

forget that the "exit" command exists. If you need to close the shell use ctrl-d. BTW, spaces are evil.

Kendall

OK, when I try that, this is what I get: Last login: Wed Oct 24 19:46:11 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB\ files/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat_collected
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First Trick or Treat_collected TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

And for the record, I never hit a button marked "exit". I hit the "Run" button.

edited October 2012

There should be a rib file inside the collected folder, with the textures and compiled shaders...that is the one that needs to be run If it's not, you are one level too high...make sure that you are 'inside' the collected folder before running renderdl.

Never mind the above...I finally was able to read through the path...those spaces are EVIL...very, very evil.

It is quite possible, that because of them, what it written in the RIB is worthless, because the search for shaders and textures is stopping at the RIB Files directory...or the first space.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    There should be a rib file inside the collected folder, with the textures and compiled shaders...that is the one that needs to be run If it's not, you are one level too high...make sure that you are 'inside' the collected folder before running renderdl.

Never mind the above...I finally was able to read through the path...those spaces are EVIL...very, very evil.

It is quite possible, that because of them, what it written in the RIB is worthless, because the search for shaders and textures is stopping at the RIB Files directory...or the first space.

Well, I saved a new RIB file and folder, replacing the spaces with dashes (-) and still no go.

edited December 1969

Kendall

or

Kendall

cd ; exit;

cd ; exit;

Kendall

PS

pwd ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

Kendall

OK, when I try that, this is what I get: Last login: Wed Oct 24 19:46:11 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB\ files/First\ Trick\ or\ Treat_collected
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First Trick or Treat_collected TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First\ Trick\ or\ Treat.rib ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

Sorry, got called away.

All you need is to press "return" or "enter" on your keyboard after each command. The "Exit" that is appended by the "run" button will clear out the environment.

Did you get any errors? Also, from just the command line type "renderdl -id -test" followed by the "return" key. What happens? Do you get invaded?

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kendall

or

Kendall

cd ; exit;

cd ; exit;

Kendall

PS

pwd ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

Kendall

logout

[Process completed]

Sorry, got called away.

All you need is to press "return" or "enter" on your keyboard after each command. The "Exit" that is appended by the "run" button will clear out the environment.

Did you get any errors? Also, from just the command line type "renderdl -id -test" followed by the "return" key. What happens? Do you get invaded?

KendallWell, here's the thing. For me to use the "terminal" and make "commands" I have to go to the "Shell">New Command, which opens a Command window, I type in the info and have to either hit "Run" (hitting the Return key is the same thing) or "Cancel", which cancels the operation. hitting Run (or Return) then opens a new Terminal Shell to run the operation and then logs out saying Process Completed. And it automatically puts the "exit" before "Logout" in the process.

I just did the renderdl -id -test, and yes, I got "invaded". Cute.

edited December 1969

Kendall

or

Kendall

cd ; exit;

cd ; exit;

Kendall

PS

pwd ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

Kendall

logout

[Process completed]

Sorry, got called away.

KendallWell, here's the thing. For me to use the "terminal" and make "commands" I have to go to the "Shell">New Command, which opens a Command window, I type in the info and have to either hit "Run" (hitting the Return key is the same thing) or "Cancel", which cancels the operation. hitting Run (or Return) then opens a new Terminal Shell to run the operation and then logs out saying Process Completed. And it automatically puts the "exit" before "Logout" in the process.

I just did the renderdl -id -test, and yes, I got "invaded". Cute.

OK. Your renderer is installed correctly. Try using the terminal in Applications->Utilities->Terminal instead. A screenshot from my Mac is attached.

Kendall

Screenshot-58.png
    1259 x 886 - 965K
    edited December 1969

Still no go. This is what I get:
    Last login: Wed Oct 24 23:32:30 on ttys000
    cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

I still have to open a new Command window each time.

edited December 1969

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

It's the "exit" command that causes the command window to close. Once using the Applications->Utilities->Terminal only use "return" or "enter" to submit your commands.

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected "return"
    renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib "return"

At this point you'll either get an error in your window, or a render window will appear showing the progress of your render.

Kendall

edited October 2012

Kendall types faster than I do...

OK...it's back...

logout

[Process completed]

Ok...

Change this line...

to read

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected

(then hit return)

That should get you to another line in the terminal.

On that new line enter...

renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib
    (hit return)

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Kendall types faster than I do...

I liked your explanation better. You were clearer than I am.

Kendall

edited October 2012

logout

[Process completed]

It's the "exit" command that causes the command window to close. Once using the Applications->Utilities->Terminal only use "return" or "enter" to submit your commands.

cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected "return"

At this point you'll either get an error in your window, or a render window will appear showing the progress of your render.

KendallThat;'s exactly what I'm doing though. There is no "exit" button. I hit "return" which is the same as clicking the "Run" button. and it automatically closes the Command window, opens a new terminal box with the "exit" in the text:

Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected
renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    -bash: cd: /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected
renderdl: No such file or directory
    logout

Last login: Wed Oct 24 23:56:41 on ttys001
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

I never make an "exit" command. I simply hit the Return key or Run button. Both do the same thing. They close the Command window, open the Terminal—80x24 window with a "Exit" after the command. IF I try to run the two commands separately, the second command gives me a "System Error: No such file or Directory" error message.

If I try to enter the text directly into a terminal box, I get this:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:12:59 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$

edited December 1969

logout

[Process completed]

Kendall

That;'s exactly what I'm doing though. There is no "exit" button. I hit "return" which is the same as clicking the "Run" button. and it automatically closes the Command window, opens a new terminal box with the "exit" in the text:

-bash: cd: /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected
renderdl: No such file or directory
    logout

Last login: Wed Oct 24 23:56:41 on ttys001
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

I never make an "exit" command. I simply hit the Return key or Run button. Both do the same thing. They close the Command window, open the Terminal—80x24 window with a "Exit" after the command. IF I try to run the two commands separately, the second command gives me a "System Error: No such file or Directory" error message.

If I try to enter the text directly into a terminal box, I get this:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:12:59 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$ renderdl -q -id First-Trick-or-Treat.rib
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:First-Trick-or-Treat_collected TrampGraphics$

on a command line, type "which renderdl" and post the results. The bolded text above seems to indicate that your 3Delight is not in your PATH

Kendall

edited October 2012

This is what I get: Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:30:56 on ttys001
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ which renderdl ; exit;
    /Applications/Graphics/3Delight-10.0.50/bin/renderdl
    logout

[Process completed]

And, like I said, I don't have any "command lines" I can only open up command windows which automatically close when I hit Return, opening a new Terminal window.

edited December 1969

logout

[Process completed]

Where is this (in bold above) coming from?

Please try these in order and post the results (or send them to me via PM if you'd rather not post them). This is squirrelly to the extreme.

ls "return"
    renderdl -h "return"

Kendall

edited December 1969

logout

[Process completed]

Where is this (in bold above) coming from?

Please try these in order and post the results (or send them to me via PM if you'd rather not post them). This is squirrelly to the extreme.

ls "return"
    renderdl -h "return"

Kendall

I entered the command into a new command window, hit Return, same as always.

Results of cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:38:14 on ttys000
    cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected ; exit;
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ cd /Users/TrampGraphics/Desktop/RIB-files/First-Trick-or-Treat_collected ; exit;
    logout

[Process completed]

Results of renderdl -h:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 00:49:06 on ttys000
    Michael-Tramperts-Mac-mini:~ TrampGraphics$ renderdl -h ; exit;
    Usage: renderdl [options] [file1 ... fileN]
    -v : output version to console
    -h : output this help
    -q : don't print the name of files rendered
    -d : add a framebuffer display
    -D : add a framebuffer and automatically close it
    -id : add an i-display interactive framebuffer
    -idf : add an i-display framebuffer with float output
    -displayvar : specifies wich variable to display (rgba is default)
    -nd : no display, ignores framebuffer displays in RIB
    -res x y : Specify image resolution
    -beep : beep when finished all RIBs
    -beeps : beep after each rendered RIB
    -frames f1 f2 : only render frames f1 to f2
    -crop l r t b : set a crop window in screen space
    -stats[1-3] : display end of frame statistics
    -statsfile file : output statistics to 'file'
    -progress : print rendering progress at each bucket
    -noinit : do not read '.renderdl' file
    -init : force reading '.renderdl' file (after -catrib)
    -test : render a test image
    -maxmessages n : print at most 'n' error or warning messages
    -filtermessages m : filter out messages in comma separated list

Multi-processing options (please read documentation for details)
    -t n : launch the render using 'n' threads
    -p n : same as -t
    -P n : launch the render using 'n' processes
    -hosts h1,h2,... : specifies a list of hosts to render on.
    -tiling t : sets the tiling mode to use (v, h, m or b).
    This is only meaningful when using processes.
    -ssh : use 'ssh' instead of 'rsh' to start renders
    -jobscript script : use 'script' to start renders
    -jobscriptparam p : passes 'p' as the first parameter of script

RI filtering options (refer to documentation for further details)
    -rif filter : adds an RI filter to the filter chain
    -rifargs args : starts an argument list
    -rifend : ends and argument list

RIB output options
    -catrib : output RIB to stdout
    -o file : when used with -catrib, output RIB to file
    -binary : encode RIB in binary format
    -gzip : compress RIB using gzip format
    -callprocedurals : expand all procedurals and archives
    -archiveprocedurals: replace procedurals by DelayedReadArchive
    -noformat : perform only minimal formatting of RIB
    -noheader : disable the structural header

Please refer to user's manual for more informations.

logout