Platinum Club 10th Anniversary Sale Discussion

Comments

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

It's called a Poodle skirt, and it was usually a full skirt like the picture above shows, not the narrower skirt that DAZ is using it on. Though I suppose it could be.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751
    edited December 1969

Oh yes, the fuller the better. She's often told me when talking about "the good old days" that you wanted them like that so they would twirl really well when you were dancing. A big flare of crinolines when you whirled around to Buddy Holly on the jukebox on a Saturday night was really, really cool apparently. Got all the boy's attention too, I'll bet.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

Byrdie said:
    Oh yes, the fuller the better. She's often told me when talking about "the good old days" that you wanted them like that so they would twirl really well when you were dancing. A big flare of crinolines when you whirled around to Buddy Holly on the jukebox on a Saturday night was really, really cool apparently. Got all the boy's attention too, I'll bet.

Yeppers, you win that bet.

I remember, in the mid-70's, we were at a pizza place, and there were groups of people, outside, dressed in 50's going-out clothes.
    Coming from or going to something...

This one girl spontaneously did an accelerating twirl that blew me away. It started ballooning right away, the twirl started slow, and built.

That thing just launched - outward more than upward. I mean upward enough... but also the motion itself was downright artistic.

They ought to bring that theory back. :-)

I saw plenty of those skirts when I was a tyke, I'm sure. The TV twirls were deliberately sedate...

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

I missed the 50's and the poodle skirts, but I've always been fond of full skirts. Narrow tight skirts make me feel confined and like I can't move well. A nice full skirt however, now that's another story, not to mention that you can curl up in a chair or a couch and cover up your legs with a full skirt. LOL

edited December 1969

Definitely more outward than upward when it accelerated. I have a theory the boys never stopped hoping for more lift the faster she twirled. My mama could dance! Nearly 70 now and she's still able to hold her own against all us youngsters when they play the Rock 'n' Roll. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Byrdie said:
    Definitely more outward than upward when it accelerated. I have a theory the boys never stopped hoping for more lift the faster she twirled.

That's, uhhh... more than idle speculation. :)

My memory tells me she unexpectedly matched my ambition. But maybe I'm remembering extrapolation.

I'd bet the 50's girls would automatically, effortlessly, keep it right to the edge of frustration, but the 70's girls weren't always as demure.
    (On the other hand, in the miniskirt era, they'd never slip up, no matter what they were doing. And that was from day one. My admiration matched my frustration).

My mama could dance! Nearly 70 now and she's still able to hold her own against all us youngsters when they play the Rock 'n' Roll. :coolsmirk:

That's so cool! :coolsmile:
    edited December 1969

Ha! We're just lucky there's no place around here to go roller skating. Because I'm positive she'd be up to that again if there were.

• meghanmeghan Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

Platinum Club 10th Anniversary!
    Here is a list of all the features and promotions going on throughout the Platinum Club Anniversary Sale.

9. 10 Lucky Ducks- Every week 10 random PC members will get their entire order free.
    The 10 Lucky Ducks who received their orders are:

Week 1
    TSKYRAIDER
    meghan <------ that's me!</b>
    warmblood
    Gzant
    seang
    Pandapat2010
    Tangled911
    ciryc
    Spotted_Rock
    Kaputcha

Wow, I won! How come did I not know?? I know I have one purchase that I made with refunded store credit. Maybe that's it? LOL I'll have to find out now!

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Yep, that's it! Congratulations! :)

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

Because, although it shows DAZ 3D as the vendor it is actually a 3rd party add on, and DAZ 3D are not allowed to sell it at less than the price stipulated by the "Owner". This is the reason that this plugin is not available in the free download of Daz Studio, and has to be bought separately.
    edited December 1969

Ah thanks for the info.

Does Decimator work on genesis? I saw some comments when I was searching to the effect that people have problems. Does anyone use it? I was hoping to use it to speed up my rendering which is so slow, if it does crash.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    Ah thanks for the info.

Does Decimator work on genesis? I saw some comments when I was searching to the effect that people have problems. Does anyone use it? I was hoping to use it to speed up my rendering which is so slow, if it does crash.

Genesis can be Decimated as well, any mesh figure can as far as I know, but Genesis already has a Base resolution which makes it about 19k, which is about a quarter of normal figures like V4 and M4, so that should help anyway. Maybe not so good for close-ups.

V4 and M4 have lores OBJ versions, at 1k, 4k, 8k and 17k, and people use these for crowd scenes, again not close up. Have you tried these?

edited December 1969

Byrdie said:
    Ha! We're just lucky there's no place around here to go roller skating. Because I'm positive she'd be up to that again if there were.

Shoot, I'm not certain I could still skate. My balance isn't what it used to be.

Otherwise, I'd say I hope I'm doing that well... :smirk:

edited December 1969

meghan said:
    Platinum Club 10th Anniversary!
    Here is a list of all the features and promotions going on throughout the Platinum Club Anniversary Sale.

9. 10 Lucky Ducks- Every week 10 random PC members will get their entire order free.
    The 10 Lucky Ducks who received their orders are:

Week 1
    TSKYRAIDER
    meghan <------ that's me!</b>
    [snip]

Wow, I won! How come did I not know?? I know I have one purchase that I made with refunded store credit. Maybe that's it? LOL I'll have to find out now!

Lucky duck...

But seriously, congrats. :)

edited October 2012

anikad said:

Genesis can be Decimated as well, any mesh figure can as far as I know, but Genesis already has a Base resolution which makes it about 19k, which is about a quarter of normal figures like V4 and M4, so that should help anyway. Maybe not so good for close-ups.

Can it be posed after decimation?

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited December 1969

V4 and M4 have lores OBJ versions, at 1k, 4k, 8k and 17k, and people use these for crowd scenes, again not close up. Have you tried these?

Thanks for the info I did not realise that. I've not really used V4/M4 but I shall use them in future if I ever do a crowd scene.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    anikad said:

Yes it can be posed and even textured.

Decimation can spoil the facial features depending on how much you use. I would think it woukld be best used for distance shots.

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

Yes it can be posed and even textured.

Decimation can spoil the facial features depending on how much you use. I would think it woukld be best used for distance shots.

That's pretty cool, then.

There's times you want distant background folk. And you could even do animation with them.

• kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

rory7411 said:
    Anyone noticed the 1st post's been altered to say Pro Suite instead of Pro Bundle in the BuyItAll section. Wonder if they've changed it or if it's a mistake.

I see that it has now been put back to the Pro Bundles.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

rory7411 said:
    Anyone noticed the 1st post's been altered to say Pro Suite instead of Pro Bundle in the BuyItAll section. Wonder if they've changed it or if it's a mistake.

I see that it has now been put back to the Pro Bundles.

Yep. It was an error.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    OMG OMG OMG OMG my first PC sale I'm so excited I could SQUEE!

SQUEEEEEE!

Have your voice given up on you yet?

edited December 1969

Yeah, but only because I got some kind of bug up my nose, sinusitis or something like that.

*coughcoughwheezecough*

edited October 2012

Skiriki said:
    Yeah, but only because I got some kind of bug up my nose, sinusitis or something like that.

*coughcoughwheezecough*

It's very common for Sqeekers!

Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

I'd say that the bug in question is quite common for the season...

Excuse me while I go to bed with a mugful of hot glögg. Urrrrgh. So tired. But happy! Man, I just got some sweet, sweet stuff at nice price plus extra 30% discount! I realize that oldtimers aren't pleased, as this sale hasn't been like the ones in the past, but me... I got pretty much all I ever wanted needed to have...

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I'd say that the bug in question is quite common for the season...

Excuse me while I go to bed with a mugful of hot glögg. Urrrrgh. So tired. But happy! Man, I just got some sweet, sweet stuff at nice price plus extra 30% discount! I realize that oldtimers aren't pleased, as this sale hasn't been like the ones in the past, but me... I got pretty much all I ever wanted needed to have...

Skål, or do you say like the normal Finns, Shall we talk or shall we drink?

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Look, if you're going to run your mouth and not drink yours, I will give it a good home...

*reaches for Totte's mug*

I just acquired V4 Morph++ and M4 Morph++ packages. I am doing this in preparation of eventually getting GenX bundle, so I can take advantage of morphy foo.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,402
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Totte said:

Look, if you're going to run your mouth and not drink yours, I will give it a good home...

*reaches for Totte's mug*

I just acquired V4 Morph++ and M4 Morph++ packages. I am doing this in preparation of eventually getting GenX bundle, so I can take advantage of morphy foo.

GenX is wonderful. I just picked up a few more Gen4 products I needed. And all the buy it all stuff I hadn't gotten last week. I'm going to have fun next week; and I'll be on vacation, so I may actually have some free time to goof off.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,402
    edited December 1969

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but what is the last day that we can buy products that count towards the buy it all bonus? I'm sure that there will be more things released during the next five days, I want to make sure I get everything I need for the bonus.

• RangerJimKRangerJimK Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Me gran used to teach me to keep an eye on sales. That sometimes, something will appear on sale, and even if you're not needing it RIGHT NOW, there's a good chance that in future you might.

Now, granted, she was talking about things like butter, flour, dish and laundry detergents...

...but the way I've found to include my impulse purchases to paid renders has been creative. :)

What I do is to put a little money in my PayPal account every week (plus a little more after the bills get paid), so I have a wee bit spare cash to spend on sale items every month or so.

And I'm another of those that look at an item and say, "Oooo. Ranger like! Must get!" No matter which of my many -- unfinished :red: -- projects I'm working on, I figure that I might be able to use it. Someday... :)