Black Is Beautiful II

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited October 2012

I think it goes like this:
    V4 Elite Texture: Marie - Elite Human Surface Shader - exe - pc Shader
    V4 Elite Texture: Marie - V4 Elite Texture Marie - DS - exe - pc DS materials files
    V4 Elite Texture: Marie - V4 Elite Texture Marie Tutorial - exe - pc PDF tutorial
    V4 Elite Texture: Marie - V4 Elite Texture Marie Ca Pt2 - exe - pc Carrara incl textures
    V4 Elite Texture: Marie - V4 Elite Texture Marie Ca Pt1 - exe - pc Carrara incl textures
    V4 Elite Texture: Marie - V4 Elite Texture Marie - Poser Files - Part 2 - exe - pc Poser files incl textures
    V4 Elite Texture: Marie - V4 Elite Texture Marie - Poser Files - Part 1 - exe - pc Poser files incl textures
    so for DS you'd need the DS installer and the two Poser installers for the textures.

HSS is the same as the Elite HSS and is included in DS4 - you should get the intended results as long as you use the DS files to apply the textures.

I've had weird textures if I've been applying a lot of different textures, trying out new characters or clothing sets for example, though not for a while - and a restart cured it. However, at least one other person did have exactly the same issue (eye texture applied to head) so it does sound as if there is or was a rare bug condition that could cause that.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133
    edited October 2012

I've successfully used Elite Texture Marie in DS4.0.
    I found 7 PC exe files in my downloads (I think), of which one was EHSS (which isn't needed if you have DS4+), two were Carrara-only (I didn't even download those) and one turned out to be a Carrara Shader Tutorial. The filenames you actually need to install are:

7674_4_dpc_V4EliteTextureMarie.exe (contains the Poser files for morph injections plus some of the texture jpegs)
    7674_5_dpc_V4EliteTextureMarie.exe (contains the rest of the texture jpegs)
    7674_14_ds_V4EliteTextureMarie_14.exe (contains the .ds files for the 11 options in the DAZ Studio content library shown below)

(At least these were the filenames on August 15th, when I downloaded Marie)

The full face morph injection requires V4 Morphs++ but and Utopian head shape from Elite Morphs, but there is also a "NOELITE" option which only requires Morphs++ which presumably looks a little different, but as I don't have Elite Morphs I can't tell how much different)

I hope this helps?
    ETA: Sorry, I didn't notice Richard had already replied when I wrote this (I'd only read as far as the end of page14!)

Where_to_Find_Marie_Textures_in_DS.jpg
    672 x 474 - 94K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Thank you both very much, Richard and MelanieL.

I hadn't noticed the noelite option you mention, MelanieL, but the clarification on which file for what is very helpful. It's a bit like the new DSON changes in my Downloadable Products pages; there are files for various things, but my experience base is too small yet to know what they are all for.

For example, now we have triax installers, Legacy installers (what's that?), and the Poser installers, but in one case I also have a new, I think, installer for V4, whereas the rest of the products only show the first three.

The Legacy files in particular are confusing, because I had thought that that was dpc, for V4 vintage products, for Poser.

Thanks for helping!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

nowefg said:
    Thank you both very much, Richard and MelanieL.

I hadn't noticed the noelite option you mention, MelanieL, but the clarification on which file for what is very helpful. It's a bit like the new DSON changes in my Downloadable Products pages; there are files for various things, but my experience base is too small yet to know what they are all for.

For example, now we have triax installers, Legacy installers (what's that?), and the Poser installers, but in one case I also have a new, I think, installer for V4, whereas the rest of the products only show the first three.

The Legacy files in particular are confusing, because I had thought that that was dpc, for V4 vintage products, for Poser.

Thanks for helping!

The Legacy installers are for versions of DS before DS4.5

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Thanks, fixmypcmike,

I ended up buying the Elite shapes, on sale, and they work well and simply. The face is a pretty refined morph.

Incidentally, the P3Designs character, Carmen, mentioned on the initial post list, is also excellent. great texture, form and features.

I'm working now on the image I want to create, and look forward to posting it.

I appreciate everyone's assistance.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Just seen in the commercial forum that dolfijntjes is closing their store. 75% sale
    Zanta & Zoan for Millenium kids
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/zanta-and-zoan
    Laila and Leila
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/laila-and-leila

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

Here's a rather unusual use I made of the body paint options of the stunning Tyrese texture set. I didn't use the morphs, as excellent as they are—this is a feline-human morph I did using a variety of resources including my own custom morphs (Genesis).

blackcat.jpg
    1024 x 1400 - 661K
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

New first post update with some stuff for the often neglected K4.

Out of curiosity, what is the cutoff point for thread length?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh, don't worry, you have a way to go yet. It's 100 pages.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited November 2012

chohole said:
    Oh, don't worry, you have a way to go yet. It's 100 pages.
    Is it still 100 pages? I thought that was one of the things switching to the new forum software was supposed to fix!

'Nother render -- same little girl that I used in GiS: History Field Trip, but this time she's using the S41_FullSkin.dsa texture from Children of the World. DS4.5Pro render, prework and postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

. . . grew up to be an astronaut.

GrewUptobeanAstronautx2000.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 1020K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

Been slowly adding more stuff to the first page. Currently waiting on a render that was inspired by something in this thread but while I wait I'll link to some other completed art: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2386212&user_id=733323&np;&np;

edited December 1969

KickAir 8P, this is all your fault.

Why you gotta make those renders with the little girl growing up to be an astronaut all inspiring and stuff? Now I gotta go out and randomly render "what if" images and such. It didn't even crash that many times like the picture simply had to be made. Hope you feel good about yourself (both sarcastically and genuinely).

ASSESSING THE SITUATION

Space_Captain.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 267K
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    KickAir 8P, this is all your fault . . .

I'm having remarkably little trouble taking the blame for this -- snazzy!
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited November 2012

I've had weird textures if I've been applying a lot of different textures, trying out new characters or clothing sets for example, though not for a while - and a restart cured it. However, at least one other person did have exactly the same issue (eye texture applied to head) so it does sound as if there is or was a rare bug condition that could cause that.

Month late, but I've seen that too, I've never had it on my desktop machine that I recall, but I was getting it fairly frequently on my laptop (which I only use for Studio if I'm away from home), I presumed it was a memory issue, or perhaps more specifically a memory-leak. As you say, a restart cured it (until it appeared again).

Post edited by DWG on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited December 1969

This is Stephanie 5 mixed with basic child, trying to make a young teen. Used Ethnicity African Morphs and Candace texture.

tina.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 684K
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous render.

edited December 1969

anikad said:

Thanks. Several of these I had seen before but forgot to add. Sorta dislike the arms on Ira but I'm here more as a record keeper than a gatekeeper so she was added.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    Gorgeous render.

Thank you.

• LJWMLJWM Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Hi all,
    I'm a newcomer to the thread and I just wanted to introduce myself. I love this tread. It's so fantastically wonderful and very needed. I write books and the females main characters are Black and the covers have to be as good as the books. Creating beautiful renders and having this tread is absolutely necessary because I'm much better at writing then rendering. I'm still looking for ways to darken the texture of my morphs to get a better render so having this tread really helps. I'll try to add some renders as soon as I can figure how why it's not working. LOL.
    Thanks again for this thread, I'm eager for more.

edited December 1969

While we'll need to the images to figure out what difficulties you may be having, my initial guess would be that the problem is either the lighting or the direct diffuse/specularity settings of the skin. Regardless, it's great to see when people are getting use out of this.

edited December 1969

Thanks Zam

I was thinking more about why I can't post one of my renders. But I did ask about the tanning or darkening skins tones with a program that I saw a while back that I can't find anymore. In one of the posts someone stated this.

The title of the thread is:
    Tanning or Shading of Skin Texture Maps - HELP Can't find it.

The post can be found at:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/167160/

227,227,227 > 227.226,198 > 215,227,205 > 227,212,188 > 141,132,117

Each of those RGB colors will darken a Caucasian skin texture, the first
    gives a lightly tanned color, each color gets progressively darker with the
    last one giving a dark brown skin tone, the middle three also add a "tint"
    for Oriental/Arabic etc.

While I may use this some time soon I would love to find that program. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

edited December 1969

There's also a few more skin darkening tips in the first post. However, I'm curious about where your images sit on the scale of stylized versus realistic. That does have an affect on how well that method works. Also, there's varying freebies to use: http://rendercandy.com/index.php/cPath/25?osCsid=80b67ca460729c53e59253ac70706c21

edited November 2012

This is an old render. Some may have seen this before. I'm working on a new one for another cover. I hope to be able to add it and get feebback soon.

This is Cyrus from Rendercandy with several tweeks. And the female is SASE's Roz on Renderosity with several tweeks as well.

The_Legend_Daz3d_Thread.jpg
    1400 x 1890 - 1M
    Post edited by LJWM on
    edited December 1969

The overall structure of the image actually looks good. It looks a little flat but that's purely a lighting problem. Though if you're like me, the computer will sometimes complain about the lighting (...crash...) if there's two human figures. The depth of field is subtle but it looks good. A sharper font (beveling? shadows?) would help as well but that's getting into general composition outside of rendering.

BTW, Daz 3 or 4?

edited November 2012

ZamuelNow said:
    There's also a few more skin darkening tips in the first post. However, I'm curious about where your images sit on the scale of stylized versus realistic. That does have an affect on how well that method works. Also, there's varying freebies to use: http://rendercandy.com/index.php/cPath/25?osCsid=80b67ca460729c53e59253ac70706c21

I'm not sure what you mean by "stylized versus realistic". I'm not looking to turn caucasian morphs into ethnic morphs per se. I'm looking to create more "real" looking skin and many of the ethnic characters I've found have ashy looking skin that just makes me want to buy some Eucerin Cream. LOL.

What I've done recently is use several of Rendercandy's skin textures and body morphs to get the "right" look on other renders I did for fun. Cyrus' skin was so good I just couldn't let my female character have any less for her skin. In fact, I wasn't happy with just about all of the skin textures I found, free or otherwise. I finally found Elite Texture Natasha for her and it worked well against Light Cyrus

I'm using Daz3d 4 and considering downloading and installing 4.5. It just took me a long while to learn Daz and the screen setup I have I like and can use well. If things change I will be completely lost. As for lighting, you are very right. My biggest problem is lighting. I even purchased Reality 2.0 and that was a mistake. I printed the manual and tried to follow the tutorial and nothing worked the way the program or tutoral lead me to believe. I've even asked for help in the Daz forum and from the developer of the program with no really understanding as to what to do. I've spend days and days working on the lighting and still I have problems with even getting the shadows I should be getting. I'm going to work on it more when I'm ready to dive into a new cover that I need for the next book.

Post edited by LJWM on
    edited December 1969

LJWM said:
    I'm not sure what you mean by "stylized versus realistic". I'm not looking to turn caucasian morphs into ethnic morphs per se. I'm looking to create more "real" looking skin and many of the ethnic characters I've found have ashy looking skin that just makes me want to buy some Eucerin Cream. LOL.

Some skins, regardless of ethnicity, are rather obviously made from photo referenced people. Others look more like they were "created" with the absolute extreme being toon/anime skins while most hover somewhere in the middle with a look more like many airbrushed magazine covers. It was noted a while back that several of the black male skin photo references are likely coming from the same exceptionally small number of models and thus the "ashy" skin across many figures is simply a byproduct of that. Probably also has to do with how the models were initially photographed.

For your image, how is the lighting setup? As in the types of lights, angle, color, etc.

edited December 1969

I completely agree with the ashy skin problem. And yes, I want all my renders to be realitic. As for the lighting I used with the above render, well, it's been a while but all I can remember is that I tried to do the one light source thing from the orange light that was coming from the back of the figures but each time the render was too dark to even really see the figures. I had to keep adding light until I could see the detail. I added tons of light all over the place which washed out the shadows but there was no other way to get it to even render with any clearity. I worked on it over and over and over again for at least five days. I'm still frustrated by lighting but I will work on it again...someday.

edited December 1969

Well, here's a few free light options. First image is using Four Lights for Daz Studio 3. It's a simple setup using multiple distance lights. When I use it, I tend to tweak it slightly such as turning the shadows off one or more lights or adjusting the angle slightly. I feel these are pretty good to experiment with.

Second and third images use Arah3D Subtly Soft Lights For DS Bonus Freebie. For some kinds of scenes these work really well but note that lights using UberEnvironment take longer to render.

Lights_-_Silver_Nights.jpg
    500 x 500 - 69K
    Lights_-_Summer_Song.jpg
    500 x 500 - 73K
    Lights_-_Krynn.jpg
    500 x 500 - 75K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited November 2012

Trying out my new texture for Zamuel with Daz's African morphs for Genesis and Thorne's Morph Kits... I like the results:)

Meztiza.jpg
    474 x 591 - 164K
    Post edited by wancow on