Fenric's Pose Helper and C8.5 OSX

thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I was working on a scene and tried to use Pose Helper to flip L/R and... Carrara crashed. At least one other Fenric plug in works (duplicate tree). Looking at the extensions directory I'm guessing that SymmetryCommand is the Pose Helper? It *should* be up to date, but...

What I have is 30544 bytes (md5: af2210b144a508c609707084d57c61db) for SymmetryCommand.dat, this is running in Carrara 8.5-172 on OS X 10.8.2.

Does anyone else have this working on with this version of Carrara on OS X? What is the size of the SymmetryCommand.dat file?

Comments

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

thoromyr,

I use Fenric's Pose helper in Carrara 8.5-172 on Mac OSX 10.8.2 and it works well. I'm away from home this week and can't check the file size. I find 8.5 a little finicky and can't always reproduce crashes. Try it on a different figure and see if you get the same result.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited October 2012

thoromyr,

I use Fenric's Pose helper in Carrara 8.5-172 on Mac OSX 10.8.2 and it works well. I'm away from home this week and can't check the file size. I find 8.5 a little finicky and can't always reproduce crashes. Try it on a different figure and see if you get the same result.

The current 8.5 beta has some known severe bugs in SDK functions. For Pose Helper (SymmetryCommand.mcx), depending on what level of the tree you picked, you may or may not be able to function. For now, do NOT pick the "model" or the topmost group if you are doing "selected figure" - click the hip or some other child bone.

ETA: Another thing is that 8.5 prefers scenes created in 8.5. I have had very bad luck with scenes created in 8.1 opening fully functionally in 8.5

Post edited by Fenric on
  • thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited October 2012

Thanks for the responses. As it works for others I took the time to test some more and what I have found is that Pose Helper works fine regardless of the options I select (not exhaustive) if the figure is V4.2, but the figure in question is Predatron's Goblin (only the lores version tested). Still, Pose Helper appears to work unless "Morphs by Joint" is selected -- if that is active then Carrara crashes.

As it so happens, the scene was originally created in C7 or C7.1. The subsequent testing was done with a new scene created in C8.5-172 and just the figure being tested. So, at least for this, the issue appears to be Pose Helper's attempts to manipulate the morphs.

I'm not sure the information is useful, but that is what I've been able to determine.

Edited to add: I forgot to respond fully to the points Fenric raised. For what its worth all testing was done with the top of the tree selected. The differentiating factor was the figure (V4.2 vs P3D Goblin) and the option (toggling "Morphs by Joint"). So perhaps it would avoid a crash with "Morphs by Joint" if I wasn't selecting the top level -- I did not test that.

Post edited by thoromyr on