Using Daz artwork for book covers?

RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I believe one or two posters on these very forums have done this. What should I know? I'm participating in NaNoWriMo and am seriously considering trying to finish the book I've started and make it into an e-book. I did a render of the main character and think I could tweak it and turn it into a nice e-book cover but what are the potential issues I should be aware of? Is most purchased content (Daz, Rendorisity, Runtime-DNA) legal to use in this way?

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2012

Yes perfectly legal to use based on what you said.

Only thing to avoid is freebies that say NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

From what I understand, renders created with D/S become property of the creator. I also believe that purchased items are allowed to be used in commercial products, though you'd have to check each product's readme file to be sure. The thorny issue is with free items and textures, which usually have the condition of not being sold.

• Andrew_CAndrew_C Posts: 87
    edited November 2012

All purchased content from DAZ, RDNA, Renderosity and Content Paradise is OK for commercial renders. Redistributing the mesh or textures is never OK (unless you have something like a game developer license for that content). Freebies depend on the creator, if you can't find a readme file giving permission for commercial use it's best to assume it's not OK.

Post edited by Andrew_C on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jerriecan, as Lars says, some freebies can be used for commercial renders, but there are a lot that can't.

THe readme is where to look on freebies, to check. Even a place like ShareCG, some of the older freebies the usage rights as shown on site, can be misleading as Share have changed the options available a couple of times. I know that the very early ones I put up there, there was no way I could say OK for commercial renders but not for redistirbution, but now I can specify just that with the new options for usage rights they have added. However most of my readme's contain a phrase which says they can be used for anything but not re-distributed in any form.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited November 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Over-Cyprus-Armageddon-ebook/dp/B008858YNY

I did the cover for this ebook

I think the key is too one, look for the key scene or key theme of the book, and go from there. A commercially available character that matches or approximates your own is probably the best bet if you're going that route... but you could also do something a little more abstract that's attention grabbing. That would be my approach.

Post edited by wancow on
  • RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

That's pretty cool wancow! Thank you for the advice everyone. I believe everything for the render in question is commercial though I'll doublecheck. I actually used the render to help me decide on a look for the character for the novel.

• I have a question, as I am confused even more now, and calling customer service didnt even help, as they told me they were a 3rd party and were NOT Daz and that they did not have the answer and that I should check the Forums and ask questions here. Okay, what I hope to find a clear anwser for is this:  I want to make book covers and sell them. WHAT lisence (or lisences) do I need and for what content does that involved? I understand that all content belongs to its creator, and would need its own permissions/lisence from said creator. That said, it appears all content made by Daz belongs to Daz, including the base Genesis models/figures they recomend starting out with in "create content" so in essence then it is saying that even using that is NOT my own and belongs to Daz and I would need a lisence to use what I make/render from that if it were to be sold? Please help me understand. Thank you.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited August 2016

As long as your not selling the mesh of what you are doing you don't need a license. Book covers are considered 2D work and needs no additional license, just the one granted when you buy a product from the store.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

If you want a "warm fuzzy" response, send in a support ticket. Those are answered by Daz, and you'll have it in writing.

As has been said many times, there is an automatic license of derivitive 2D work of 3D assets. It's not really accurate to say it doesn't need a license, as Daz offers its products only under license. They simply extend that license automatically in the case of 2D artwork.

Missing from most of these discussions is licensing of recognizable products and people. Neither Daz nor its vendors can provide this license, because they don't own the rights to begin with. So be careful if your render contains logos and other images of recognizable people, services, or products. Daz seems pretty good about vetting other people's IP from the products they sell, but the same may not be true of the other 3D asset sites, or of content you pick up from a free site.

There is a thread here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57390/book-covers  which is all about book covers, and has 29 pages so far.

• Thank you for all your replies and help. What is considered a "mesh" that is to NOT be sold?

Thank you for all your replies and help. What is considered a "mesh" that is to NOT be sold?

The actual mesh object that you buy from the store,  the actual model.

If you are just producing Artwork then you have no worries with that. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Thank you for all your replies and help. What is considered a "mesh" that is to NOT be sold?

To be as concise and simple as I can manage: In DAZ Studio anything that is not a render you can consider either a "mesh" or another 3D product that is not allowed to be redistributed.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I'm sure this had been mentioned elsewhere here over time, but usually most times the answer is directly for the particular question asked. I'm gonna go just a little further in case someone comes across this by Googling "3D content Usage Rights" or some derivative of that...

The question most commonly deals with commercial use of content (both free and paid for) and sometimes the definition of "commercial use"... Which is basically any situation where one is making any money from the viewing or distribution of the the render, including in many cases non cash prizes awarded though a contest.

To the best of my knowledge, all of DAZs content if purchased legally, carries a "commercial use" license. That is limited to the 2D render... The actual 3D model, morphs, mesh, geometry and textures are forbidden to be shared or redistributed... Once you buy the model (or whatever content it is) and render out an image, be it a physical print or an electronic images like a JPEG, that image is yours to do with as you please, including selling it.  You may also make animations using the content in a commercial use situation. Content can not be used in video games (for free or paid for games without purchasing a special license where available and applicable), because for content to work in a game environment, the geometry/mesh/textures of the model have to be included with the game and that becomes redistribution, or selling (or giving away) of the original content.  The only exception is a video game that use still 2D backgrounds or pre-rendered animation footage (cut scenes or cinematics)   

The content itself is merely yours to use to make images and can not be resold... Technically, if you sell your computer, you are required to remove/delete it before handing it over to the new owner.

Freebies are a different matter and very greatly in their allowed usage.

Since many people use ShareCG as a source of freebies and questions about their terms of use/license meanings have arisen a few times, I'll include them here too...

• All Right Reserved: One of the strictest licenses is basically "look but don't touch"... The item in question is being displayed for "Evaluation Purposes Only" and if you wish to use it, you must contact the author to request further usage rights.

• Non-Commercial Use Only:  The displayed work or file cannot be used or modified and then used as a part of any venture or production that has the purpose of making a profit. It is likely the uploader intended the work or file to be used for educational or hobby-related uses only. This is also common with fan art or models that bear a strong resemblance to a licensed product, like a Ford car or Sony laptop.

• Limited Use With Credits:  You may use this work or file in any way as long as you credit the original author of the work or file. This means that if the work is used in a film or movie, it should be credited along with the other accredited parties. If it is used in a final work of art, the author of the work or file needs to be credited in a way so that any person viewing the artwork would also naturally see the credits. In all other cases, use common sense and your best efforts to credit the author.

• Commercial Use Ok, Contents Not For Redistribution:  Pretty straightforward- A basic commercial use license and don't redistribute the contents of the file.

• Commercial & Personal Use: Basically the same as "commercial use ok,contents not for redistribution", but pointing out that you may use it for personal use too... This was actually the original "commercial use" designation at ShareCG, for some reason the other "commercial use ok" rights designation was added, but in either case content should never be redistributed in any manner without express consent from the original owner/author/artist.

• Unrestricted Use:  You may use the work or file for any purpose. You are not required to credit the author, although doing so would still likely be appreciated.

Please keep in mind that on occasion models and content show up on ShareCG that the poster or artist may not necessarily have the right to distribute, sometimes they are unaware that making a very accurate model of a real car and calling it by its brand name can can create license issues or they are intentionally redistributing someone else's work or in some cases a game model without permission.  ShareCG works on an honor system, but will look into such cases and take down offending material if it is brought to their attention. But in the meantime, a item that could create a problem might get downloaded... So despite an item having a generous usage license, like unrestricted or commercial use, if it looks wrong, don't download it... Use common sense... If it looks like something you have seen elsewhere or seems like a model from a popular video game... Just avoid it.