Sketchup

rthomas_31rthomas_31 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Has anyone been able to put a Sketchup model into Daz?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, export as obj file then Import into DS. You will need the Full Sketchup or a plugin for the Export as obj.

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

The plugin works, but the resulting obj files are large, and the texturing isn't pretty. But it sometimes works pretty well. There is a free plugin available for the free version of Sketchup.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 455
    edited December 1969

Bryce 7 pro can open up Sketchup files if I am not mistaken...Then you can use Bryce to export out as SomeName.obj or click the option to send to DS...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

jerriecan said:
    The plugin works, but the resulting obj files are large, and the texturing isn't pretty. But it sometimes works pretty well. There is a free plugin available for the free version of Sketchup.

Never, ever, have I had a Sketchup item that a) did not require clean up in a dedicated modeler and b) did not require retexturing...if for no other reason than the included ones were not all that great to begin with. If you remember to keep the obj, mtl and all the texture files in the same directory, then it should load 'textured'...

One of the big items that both makes the file size huge and the model look like something the cat dragged in, are duplicated/unwelded vertices...that is one of the most important things to do in the clean up process. I've seen file size drop by 3/4 by just getting rid of the duplicate vertices. Most imports are also going to need some smoothing and probably normals reoriented, which are things that should be done in a dedicate modeler. Also, one of the big problems, if planning on doing anything other than using it as a static model, is the grouping being totally bizarre. I've seen Sketchup vehicle models with the driver's door, the passenger side fender and the trunk lid all in the same group (with each having a different material zone, on top of that). Reducing and rearranging the groups, reducing the mat zones and such to something resembling sane, will also reduce file size.

So no, it's not a 'convert and use' process...but it can result in some decent models afterwards.