Studio 4.5 start-up time

PinzelmeisterPinzelmeister Posts: 114
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm using the newest release of Studio 4.5 (64 bit, Windows). That is to say, I'm experimenting with it. The problem is the start-up time. I.e. I double-click on the icon, then wait . . . . I just now timed it: over two minutes before it starts to do anything! I have no problem at all with the version of Studio 4 I normally use - it starts right up. I'd like to experiment with Studio 4.5 . . . do I have something set wrong or something? PS I'm working on a regular desktop computer, recently up-graded etc etc (i.e. not a tiny laptop or something).
Thoughts please?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I am using Win 7 64 bit, on an i7 machine, and DS starts in about 15 seconds, including loading the grey default Genesis figure into the viewport. That is when I start DS4.5 for the first time, later it takes about 12 seconds since it has been cahed I presume.

There is something wrong with how your version works. I am using 4.5.1.6 which is the latest version. I have the default Genesis figure set to load at startup.

Can you see how long it takes to load after the first time, and without the Genesis default character loading?
    Are you running as Admin? Do you have anti-virus software running, because that is the only thing that I can think of that would slow it down so dramitically?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree, Full boot to loaded Genesis on my i7 is about 10 sec's.

• ZebratechZebratech Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

One thing I've noticed with mine is that if I close out the app with my Library window open and it is inside my huge Poser runtime, the startup time takes a good long while the next time I open the app. But, if I end my session in a native DS runtime, the next startup is no problem and is quite fast. May be something similar going on for your case.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

So I'm not the only one...and no, my problem is NOT anything with the Library...

I've also determined that my particular problem is rare to unique (at the moment, I'm pushing rare).

I have a 5 minute minimum start up (5 to 7 minutes)...and I've determined it is something with QtGui4.dll. My advice...make sure that everything that QtGUI4 needs is up to date...that means Windows, if you are on a Windows system, especially the vcrun files (it seems to have been built for the latest vcrun2010 update), video card drivers (it can use OpenGL to draw the UI), audio drivers (yes, QtGui has an audio component to it) and motherboard drivers.

• PinzelmeisterPinzelmeister Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the helpful replies. After reading them I went into "preferences," de-selected the blank file I had been using on start-up, and tried everything again. Start-up time went from 2 minutes to ten seconds. Problem solved . . . weird. (I.e. "weird" since this file causes no trouble at all when I use it with Studio 4.)

edited December 1969

I am glad that worked for you, at least one mystery solved :)

edited December 1969

24 hrs or so later . . . unfortunately that was really NOT a fix. Sometimes DAZ 4.5 starts up in 10 sec or so, sometimes it takes the full 2 minutes +. I'm inclined to think there is a pattern of some sort but at the moment I really don't see it. Not sure what else to try.

edited December 1969

Drivers and system updates....

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

30 seconds startup here including Wine initialization. If Wine is prefetched, startup is in the 20 second range. This includes negotiating the connection to the centralized CMS server.

Kendall

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,601
    edited December 1969

i have long load times too, but only the first time following a system/Windows reboot
    if i close DS4.5 and restart it, the load time is almost nil
    i suspect it's the content management daemon that goes through all the content folders
    maybe it also goes through the gigantic data/ folders
    --

i changed my default scene to, the genesis figure, then deleted genesis from the scene, and saved this as my new default scene

--
    oh another thing is, 99% of the time i use DS 4.5,
    if i use ds3 and later run ds4.5, the DS4.5 crashes seem more frequent
    so i tend to reboot the PC before using playing with DS4.5

--
    i'll try a reboot and see if my new default scene helped

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

Mine starts in 11 seconds, no Genesis scene because I have premade scenes to work for.
    my issue is the eternal, ETERNAL, readings throug the disk after scene loaded completely, and that is more than 2 minutes....

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

My DS3 was like this, long start up times and delays in reading the Poser runtime where DS2 has no such issues.

DS4 and DS45 both start up rather quickly for me, about 10 seconds or so.

edited December 1969

test results,

after changing the scene to Genesis default, then back to an empty scene
    and rebooting the PC

i still get: long load times for the first run of DS4.5

very fast load times for subsequent runs
    --

unconfirmed: saving the scene before exiting DS4.5 seems to help avoid crash-after-exit and seems to ensure a fast load on the next run

--
    when DS4.5 is loading and taking time, i see very little CPU usage on DS4.5 and the content manager task, which would probably indicate that the time is spent on disk activity

--

next test : i'll remove my poser runtime from the library and reboot the PC

edited December 1969

Right, that's the sort of result I'm getting, though I haven't been able to see a systematic pattern.

edited November 2012

more test results

i tried different things

- removed all the Poser and old Daz Studio folders from the content library
    - tried to swap dlls ( that webkit dll is huge )
    - factory reset
    - installed the new version of DS 4.5, i was at 4.5.0.114 i think and am now at 4.5.1.6

i still get post-PC-reboot start times of 4 minutes

followed by 10 seconds start times

since all processes (including mcAfee) seem to almost not use CPU time during those painful 4 minutes starts
    i still suspect that DS or one of its components is frantically searching for something on my hard disk.
    Then later on when i start DS, the location of that something was memorized. and when i reboot it is forgotten

wild hypothesis: missing QT environment variables or registry entries

Post edited by mCasual on
    edited November 2012

i use Windows' magnify utility on a 1920x1200 screen

and i think i observed Daz Studio 4.5 crashes when using it

so that's something to consider

i also suspect there's interactions with Window's display performance-optimization settings

add to the mix, NVidia's control Panel

i bet that there's settings that would solve daz studio 4'5's slow start and crashes issues

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

After the first start of the day or after a reboot DS4.5.0.137 takes 20 seconds to fully power up, and that's on a Core 2 quad.

So the big question is what are you guys doing that's different.

I know from experience that if the CMS isn't running properly that DS4 can take a hell of a long time to start, or never start as it just sits sulking in the task manager. Now I only use the CMS when I'm doing content, it has a couple of functions built in that saves me having to text edit everything later, so I have set it to manaul start in Services.msc, that way it doesn't "bang heads" with everything else on my PC during start up or a reboot, so for most of the time that I'm using DS4 the CMS isn't running.

I've never had DS set to load a scene at startup, so when DS starts it only has to load it's plugins (it has less to load than most as I delete the ones I'll never use) and create the UI, it doesn't even have to create a camera as I have that turned off too.

edited November 2012

Bejaymac said:
    . . . CMS . . .

. . .scene at startup, . . ..

according to tests i made the CMS doesnt seem at fault, i also did tests about the startup scene

just now i used process monitor to see step by step what DS4.5 is doing at startup

i see it do things expected,

but i also see it go through my entire F: drive , which is a data drive, not the system drive

it also seems to repeatedly ( hundreds of times ) set the values of the registry keys in the section

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers\ATKOGL\

atkogl.dll is an AsusTek OpenGl dll (according to a cursory google search )
    ---
    it's not a solution but it may give clues

---
    if i look in DS4.5's main registry keys i see that many of the default directories ( example the import directory ) point to F:\
    which is normal since that's where i render and import/export the most

---
    so, at this point my hypothesis are,

issues with versions of openGL32.dll
    issues with how the nvidia card reports its OpenGL version

the main goal is probably to get DS to NOT want to scan my F:\ drive

--

i'm closer to the solution i think !

---

update, i read this in a forum

For others who find this thread, ASUS installs a custom opengl driver ATKOGL.dll, 
    which is apart of the Asus enhanced display driver, this must be removed via add remove 
    programs, when using any driver other then those provided by ASUS, even if you are using
     the same asus card otherwise the OGL subsystem is rendered useless. 
    edited December 1969

update :

i uninstalled the Asus Gamer OSD on my PC

it did not resolve the slow DS4.5 starts, but i think it may reduce crashes

i then re-installed recent nvidia drivers ( 6.14.13.681 )

edited November 2012

things i did that seem to help

---

uninstalled the Asus Gamer OSD utility

re-installed the nvidia drivers -- i used the "custom installation" option, then check-marked the "clean install" it erases tweaks you may have made, clean slate

for experts: i created a folder named f:\DazIO. Using regedit i changed the following Daz Studio 4 keys to "f:\DazIO"
    RenderDir0,ImportDir,ExportDir,ImageOpenDir,ImageSaveDir,VideoExportDir,AudioImportDir,LoadSaveDir,RenderEnd,ImportDir0

i also removed all the annoying start-up programs that accumulated with time, notably the RealTek programs that i often saw conflict with nvidia drivers

---
    instead of 1.5, 2 or more minutes, it now takes 50 seconds to start DS4.5, immediately after a reboot of the PC ,

Subsequent DS4.5 starts take only 7 seconds ( it was already about that fast before )

--
    i suspect the post-re-boot slow-downs are related to things happening in
    C:\Documents and Settings\Jacques Phenom\Application Data\NVIDIA\GLCache

edited December 1969

Another thing to check, what format the partition that DS is on...I just found that most of my slow start was due to the partition being formatted as Fat32...

edited December 1969

i upgraded to windows 7 64 bit, from scratch
    and of course there's no problems anymore,
    starting ds4.5 with an empty scene takes 6 seconds
    though when i'll install DS3.1 Advanced side by side
    with DS4.5 maybe things will change

edited December 1969

Casual said:
    i upgraded to windows 7 64 bit, from scratch
    and of course there's no problems anymore,
    starting ds4.5 with an empty scene takes 6 seconds
    though when i'll install DS3.1 Advanced side by side
    with DS4.5 maybe things will change

It shouldn't do, I have both 32 bit and 64 bit DS3 installed, and my loading times are just a few seconds for 4.5. They go into different folders from 4.5 anyway, and can be run side by side.