I've fallen and I can't get up on this DSON stuff

peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Could some one do a step-by-step on how to install the newly available files so that they work. For mr, the original install works fine....but the updated files don't work. I have 2 runtimes...the vast majority are in my custom runtime that is has folders that I have renamed and created so I can find files easier. And I have a PoserPro 2012 runtime that contains files that are designed to use the advantages of Poser Pro. Now I use both runtimes in Poser Pro 2012. So maybe this is a problem. I am thinking about combining the runtimes...but since one of them is over 150GB. I want to do so carefully. Anyway, it would be nice to know EXACTLY how & where these DSON and Poser Companion file should be placed. Thank you, in advance for your time and advice. Frankly, I am close to forgetting about Genesis in Poser and just use it in DAZ where it works fine.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Ideally, install both the DSON and the Companion files to the same folder - the folder that holds the Runtime folder, as with most content. That should be all that's needed.

• peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your quick response. I thought the DSON was placed in the DAZ Studio folder. While the .dpc companion file is placed in the Poser runtime. So I place both files in the same runtime folder? So I place the DSON file in both the DAZ Studio folder AND the Poser Runtime? In the PP 2012, I assume? Thank you.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

They don't have to be in the same Runtime, but both Runtimes need to be mapped in Poser as external Runtimes. So I would install the DSON Core to the DS4.5 content folder and map that in Poser, and install the Poser Companion Files in a different runtime and map that also in Poser.

edited December 1969

I'm afraid this is beyond my knowledge. I don't even know what you mean by "mapping". I think I'm just going to uninstall the whole thing and keep Daz with Daz and Poser with Poser. It's just too cumbersome for my dull wit. Thank you for your time and patience.

edited December 1969

Do you know how to add external runtimes in Poser? That's all I mean by "mapping".

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

What we call adding a runtime to the Poser library, DAZ calls mapping.

edited December 1969

Well, I thought so. I tried that and it doesn't work for me, so far. I think I'm going to just quit before I get things fouled up. Thank you for your help.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

pete.c44 said:
    Well, I thought so. I tried that and it doesn't work for me, so far. I think I'm going to just quit before I get things fouled up. Thank you for your help.

I got Genesis into Poser without any problems. I just read the instructions carefully and took my time going through the process. You just have to not be afraid of the process, then just take your time. The install is actually quite straightforward.

• Halibut72Halibut72 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Ok, so, following the suggestion that Genesis be installed outside of the Program Files directory, I set up a new directory (D:\Genesis Content) and installed the contents of the _trx files there. I also have a Poser Pro 2012 runtime elsewhere on the same drive. Should I be installing the Poser Companion Files in the Genesis Content folder or my Poser Pro 2012 runtime?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Either should work. To me it seems neater to keep everything together (and I have both Poser and DS set to use the folder as a Runtime/content directory, to avoid duplication) but as long as Poser can find the files it should be fine.

• Halibut72Halibut72 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the quick reply. I shall keep all the Genesis content together in place.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

According to the DSON Installation instructions, the DSON core should be installed to the Poser Pro program folder, not an external runtime. Poser isn't always happy with python files installed in an external runtime.

Because the Poser companion files install a bunch of DS structure and files Poser doesn't need, I preferred to install the Genesis files to the DS content folder and map that runtime in Poser. But that's me. I am just happier with a cleaner Poser runtime.

They don't have to be in the same Runtime, but both Runtimes need to be mapped in Poser as external Runtimes. So I would install the DSON Core to the DS4.5 content folder and map that in Poser, and install the Poser Companion Files in a different runtime and map that also in Poser.
    edited December 1969

EUREKA!!! Thanks to you guys, We got it working. Here is my layout. I put the DSON plugin into PoserPro 2012. Then I created a special folder on another internal HD...called it "Genesis to Poser". I then took all the DSON and Poser CP files and installed them to this folder. Then I created a new directory (map) in PoserPro runtime. Who said this was difficult? Oh, it was me....never mind. Thank you so much for your extreme patience and advice for someone who was trying his best to make this operation difficult.

edited December 1969

The only really bothersome import (so far) I am having is The Troll. I get a nice material covering...but he still looks like a human. The Actor>Troll setting is 1. So I'm missing something here.

edited December 1969

When I try to add Monster type body morphs (ie. Troll) it just gets taller. No other morph work.

edited December 1969

According to the DSON Installation instructions, the DSON core should be installed to the Poser Pro program folder, not an external runtime. Poser isn't always happy with python files installed in an external runtime.

Because the Poser companion files install a bunch of DS structure and files Poser doesn't need, I preferred to install the Genesis files to the DS content folder and map that runtime in Poser. But that's me. I am just happier with a cleaner Poser runtime.

No, the DSON Importer needs to be installed to the program folder -- that's the plugin itself. The DSON Core is the content, and must be installed to a writeable folder.