Freebie Request - M5 uv remap for M4 Anatomical Elements.?

TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
edited May 2017 in The Commons

I know this might sound like an odd request. You know how we have a remap of the M5 gens to take M4 textures? Well, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to do the exact opposite; remap the M4 gens (or Adzan's gens if you prefer) to take M5 textures.

I find the M5 gens to be quite limiting, especially when you consider that the gens currently doesn't have as much support as the M4 gens or other gens models out there (like Adzan's). It's also much easier to blend textures using the M4 gens as all you need is an opacity map, and with a combination of parenting the smooth modifiers it fits Genesis about as well as the M5 gens anyway.

So, yeah, is there anybody out there willing to do this?

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• AethyrAethyr Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

You know how we have a remap of the M5 gens to take M4 textures?

I wasn't aware such a thing existed, but it'd certainly be pretty handy if you could point me in the direction of it. In any case I wouldn't be surprised if there's a better M5 gens product available before too long, as I recall Channing did a pretty good one for M4 and it's reasonable to assume there'll be a similar thing in the works.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

I wasn't aware such a thing existed, but it'd certainly be pretty handy if you could point me in the direction of it. In any case I wouldn't be surprised if there's a better M5 gens product available before too long, as I recall Channing did a pretty good one for M4 and it's reasonable to assume there'll be a similar thing in the works.
    The remap was created by CauriB and introduced in a thread on the old forum here. Links are in CauriB's signature. Note that you will need RTEncoder to decode the file against your product installer, and that since this thread CauriB updated the package to be compatible with a subsequent change in the M5 Gens installer. This update is also in CauriB's files.

Poison released a morph package "Poison’s M5 Gens Morphs & Controls" which is certainly a worthwhile improvement on DAZ's lacklustre effort. This product significantly increases ease of use, too. You will have to Google that as I don't think I can link to it here. Note that if you wish to use these morphs with the remaps, you will need to copy them to the remap's folder.

You might also be interested in this thread, if you haven't seen it already

• AethyrAethyr Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, I spent a while looking through that thread and looking for the Poison product you mentioned. Definitely going to get hold of that when I can afford to :)

As an aside it's good to see that there's a fair number of folks interested in this kind of render, I almost always use the male figures in my work and it's a bit depressing that so many of the images that get put out are naked (or nearly) V4 with pretty much no context. But that's detracting from the point of this thread :D

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

The remap was created by CauriB and introduced in a thread on the old forum here. Links are in CauriB's signature. Note that you will need RTEncoder to decode the file against your product installer, and that since this thread CauriB updated the package to be compatible with a subsequent change in the M5 Gens installer. This update is also in CauriB's files.

Poison released a morph package "Poison’s M5 Gens Morphs & Controls" which is certainly a worthwhile improvement on DAZ's lacklustre effort. This product significantly increases ease of use, too. You will have to Google that as I don't think I can link to it here. Note that if you wish to use these morphs with the remaps, you will need to copy them to the remap's folder.

You might also be interested in this thread, if you haven't seen it already

Yup and that's the only way my Bruno for Genesis is getting any genital mapping. Thank the gods for Cauri's generosity in remapping the M5 gens to take M4/V4 mapping. Since Bruno's original mapping uses V4 UV's the option to use the V4 UV option built into the M5 remapped gens really saved the day for me. It would be nice if there was a remap of the M\4 gens to take the M5 gen textures, that too would come in handy at some point.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    It would be nice if there was a remap of the M\4 gens to take the M5 gen textures, that too would come in handy at some point.

The main reason why I would like such a thing is because MalePoserotica is being reopened in the near future, and right now you can buy the latest version of Jepe's M4 gens expansion pack, adding in some extra morphs. Jepe's and Channings work looks amazing, but i'm apprehensive to buy them if I can't also use such morphs/props with a character using an M5 texture like Phillip.

An M5 remap of either the M4 gens or one of the various other gens available out there (Adzan's would be a good choice as it's free) I would be great for those of us who do a lot of male centric renders. It's incredibly easy to fit such gens figures to Genesis thanks to the smoothing/collision modifier, the only issue is the lack of matching textures for M5 characters.

edited December 1969

Sounds like the perfect thing for sure then!

• CauriBCauriB Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

The remap is done. It can be found at my homepage. I changed the material zones so that the textures can be applied by clicking on the M5 mat poses. I didn´t change the material zone or the mapping of the pubic hair so you can still use your old m4 textures on it. You´ll need UVMapper to remap your obj.
    Have fun :-)

edited October 2012

CauriB said:
    The remap is done. It can be found at my homepage. I changed the material zones so that the textures can be applied by clicking on the M5 mat poses. I didn´t change the material zone or the mapping of the pubic hair so you can still use your old m4 textures on it. You´ll need UVMapper to remap your obj.
    Have fun :-)

Thank you, but, i'm not sure how to do this. I've saved out the new obj, how do I get the M4 gens to use this? Am I supposed to replace the original obj? Is there any way to do this so I can keep the original M4 gens in tact?

EDIT: NO WORRIES! Managed to do it by creating a copy of the M4 Gens cr2 and changing all the obj references in Notepad. Now I just gotta make a simple alpha map for blending! :D

EDIT 2: I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but is there a reason why the remap misses out the "invis" section of the gens? It doesn't really give enough space for an opacity map.

EDIT 3: I attempted to alter the UV in 3DS Max to include the "invis" section as well, but I ended up making a right balls up of it (the texture looks blocky for some reason). Obviously I cannot do this myself. -_- I really hate to be a nag, but would it be possible to include the invis in the remap?

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
    edited October 2012

EDIT 2: I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but is there a reason why the remap misses out the "invis" section of the gens? It doesn't really give enough space for an opacity map.

It says invisible, so I didn´t remap it. I´ll correct it and repost the file.

The update is online.

Post edited by CauriB on
    edited December 1969

CauriB said:

The update is online.

Thank you so much. I'll give it a test later and get back to you. You have been wonderful. :3

edited October 2012

CauriB said:

The update is online.

I'm sorry to say this, but there's a glitch in the UV map. It seems a couple of stray polygons in the invis area have been assigned the "pubic_hair" group by accident, which leaves a couple of holes in the geometry.

I can't post an image of the problem here, so i'll have to PM the image to you. I really am sorry, I must seem really annoying by now. :(

EDIT: Just so you know, the problem seems to be mirrored on both sides.

edited December 1969

I fixed it, sorry it was my mistake. The remap should be perfect now :-)

edited December 2012

IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

I've tried it out with Dave (Hairy), Phillip (Hairy), and James, and it all works perfectly. Even with Phillips SSS settings boosted using the highest presets, it still looks fine (the hairy ones would look even better with ManFuzz applied to them).

I've been using my own opacity map, which I quickly whipped up in Zbrush. Here's the .bmp for anyone who needs it (use it however you like, no credit needed).
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12960659/Daz3DWork/M5GensOpacity.bmp

Someone should really tell Jepe about this development, i'm sure he'll be happy to know about this. :D

EDIT: CauriB, you really should make a topic for this and your other gens remap in the freebies section, it would get noticed more that way. :3

edited December 1969

Thanks so much for the remap Cauri!

Thanks Bisho for the trans bmp!

• LEI1LEI1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

CauriB said:
    I fixed it, sorry it was my mistake. The remap should be perfect now :-)

Hey Cauri, I actually stopped by your site today with a mind to grab the original M5 to M4 remap, but I saw you had uploaded a new one called 'Male Gen improved.zip' and so I downloaded that instead.

I had to kind of work around a few things since the mac Rtencoder doesn't seem to recognize dsf files at all so you can't even input a keyfile, but I ended up decoding the rte on my windows partition. Aside from the file size being considerably smaller than the original dsf, everything seemed to be in order ... However when I went back to my Mac partition and into DS4.5 then opened the Genesis gens with the new dsf file in place, I just got a series of strange boxes .... I'm not sure what to make of it!

I'm posting a screenshot (I tried to render but the render came out blank) without Genesis visible just so you can see what I mean. It is in the right area but looks like a set of building blocks rather than the parts it's intended to be so I am hoping this doesn't fall into the 'nudity' category lol. Any help would be much appreciated!

LEI

Screen_Shot_2012-12-30_at_6.20_.29_PM_.png
    495 x 452 - 35K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Looks like it can't read the geometry. You might want to try uncompressing the .dsf before decrypting -- in 4.5 .dsf's are compressed by default (using zip compression), in 4.0 they were uncompressed.

edited December 1969

Looks like it can't read the geometry. You might want to try uncompressing the .dsf before decrypting -- in 4.5 .dsf's are compressed by default (using zip compression), in 4.0 they were uncompressed.

Thank you for the suggestion Mike, I checked and the dsf was already uncompressed (I reset my DL from the M5ProBundle to get the keyfile and I think that product was released in the DS4.0 days) I did go back and give it another go though and turns out the output file MUST have the same name as the rte, which then gives you a zipfile with a data folder/morphs and the new dsf inside it. Tested it out and it works great!

The only drawback I've found is that you can't use any M4 presets, meaning you have to go in and change the UV map then set every field/image manually ... But that aside it takes M4, H5 AND M3 textures now, plus it even has a few extra morphs ... awesome freebie/update CauriB, thanks!

• GeneRufusGeneRufus Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi, I've been searching all over for something like this, but I'm having a little trouble getting it installed. I've never used RTE before, so I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. It keeps telling me I've got the wrong keyfile.

edited December 1969

GeneRufus said:
    Hi, I've been searching all over for something like this, but I'm having a little trouble getting it installed. I've never used RTE before, so I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. It keeps telling me I've got the wrong keyfile.

I think the correct keyfile is 'Genesis Male Genitalia.dsf', the file name is listed in the readme CaurieB included with the zip if you wanna double check. The keyfile is also dependent on which version of the remap you downloaded ... I downloaded the ‘Male Gen improved.zip’ from CaurieB's freebie site > http://sites.google.com/site/crblackthorne, which I believe is the latest version. It requires DS4.5 and you need to have the UPDATED version of the M5 gens to decode it, so you should reset your M5 pro bundle download first from the Daz store, install the updated version and then try again using that new dsf file as your key.

edited December 1969

LEI1 said:
    GeneRufus said:

I think the correct keyfile is 'Genesis Male Genitalia.dsf', the file name is listed in the readme CaurieB included with the zip if you wanna double check. The keyfile is also dependent on which version of the remap you downloaded ... I downloaded the ‘Male Gen improved.zip’ from CaurieB's freebie site > http://sites.google.com/site/crblackthorne, which I believe is the latest version. It requires DS4.5 and you need to have the UPDATED version of the M5 gens to decode it, so you should reset your M5 pro bundle download first from the Daz store, install the updated version and then try again using that new dsf file as your key.

Tried that, it's still telling me I've got the same 'wrong keyfile' message. It also now is suddenly telling me that I've got the wrong output file, which is wasn't saying before, even though it's the same as before.

edited December 1969

GeneRufus said:
    LEI1 said:
    GeneRufus said:

Tried that, it's still telling me I've got the same 'wrong keyfile' message. It also now is suddenly telling me that I've got the wrong output file, which is wasn't saying before, even though it's the same as before.

Hm, check the file size on the dsf to be CERTAIN it's the updated one. I actually had this same problem and it was because I thought I had the M5 updated dsf and I didn't.

The file size for the old dsf is 518kb, the new and correct dsf is 523.8kb ... After you've confirmed you have the correct version for the keyfile then make sure you set the output file to the same folder that the RTE file is in and give it the same name as the RTE as well, which would be: Male Gen improved. After that let the decoder run and it should give you a compressed zipfile with the updated gens inside it.

FYI: these are the directions for windows by the way. I use both windows and mac osx and I can confirm the latest RTE cross platform release does not work at all on the Lion osx for macs. If you're using an older operating system (mac) you might be fine though.

edited December 1969

LEI1 said:
    GeneRufus said:
    LEI1 said:
    GeneRufus said:

Hm, check the file size on the dsf to be CERTAIN it's the updated one. I actually had this same problem and it was because I thought I had the M5 updated dsf and I didn't.

The file size for the old dsf is 518kb, the new and correct dsf is 523.8kb ... After you've confirmed you have the correct version for the keyfile then make sure you set the output file to the same folder that the RTE file is in and give it the same name as the RTE as well, which would be: Male Gen improved. After that let the decoder run and it should give you a compressed zipfile with the updated gens inside it.

FYI: these are the directions for windows by the way. I use both windows and mac osx and I can confirm the latest RTE cross platform release does not work at all on the Lion osx for macs. If you're using an older operating system (mac) you might be fine though.

Thanks, it was the wrong version, sort of. Turns out, the trick was to install the Legacy file first, and then the regular/base one. I noticed it changed the size of the .dsf depending on which one I'd run last. The Legacy version is 505kb and the base is 511. The 511 file was the correct one. And I also found out that when picking an output file, I needed to add the .zip to the name myself, or I wound up with an unreadable file. But everythings working out perfectly now!

edited December 1969

GeneRufus said:
    LEI1 said:
    GeneRufus said:
    LEI1 said:
    GeneRufus said:

Thanks, it was the wrong version, sort of. Turns out, the trick was to install the Legacy file first, and then the regular/base one. I noticed it changed the size of the .dsf depending on which one I'd run last. The Legacy version is 505kb and the base is 511. The 511 file was the correct one. And I also found out that when picking an output file, I needed to add the .zip to the name myself, or I wound up with an unreadable file. But everythings working out perfectly now!

That keyfile can be tricky, glad you got it worked out!

• WallytheartistWallytheartist Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am trying to do the install... But it certainly isnt working.. I have tried reinstalling in every order on Mac Lion Latest... and have even used on windows 8 through virtual pc... When on mac the file is the right size in KB. so i try and decode and I also try and transfer/copy it to pc.. but the file size changes... I have been up day in day out hoping it would just work with a combination.

• dodgerrecordsdodgerrecords Posts: 123
    edited December 1969

Just out of curiosity, what is the point of doing this rte business? It seems like it just makes it a pain.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Just out of curiosity, what is the point of doing this rte business? It seems like it just makes it a pain.

It protects Intellectual Property, as you need to have the original model in order to use soemthing that is RTE encoded

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    edited December 1969

RTE encoding is often used for distribution of derivatives of an item as it ensures the person who uses the altered version has the original.
  • manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

I've tried it out with Dave (Hairy), Phillip (Hairy), and James, and it all works perfectly. Even with Phillips SSS settings boosted using the highest presets, it still looks fine (the hairy ones would look even better with ManFuzz applied to them).

I've been using my own opacity map, which I quickly whipped up in Zbrush. Here's the .bmp for anyone who needs it (use it however you like, no credit needed).

Someone should really tell Jepe about this development, i'm sure he'll be happy to know about this. :D

EDIT: CauriB, you really should make a topic for this and your other gens remap in the freebies section, it would get noticed more that way. :3

verry sorry to revive this old dead thread! stumbled on it looking for s'thing else. and then i saw this post. (above)

thing is, i already had the gen from CauriB and have used it for a while, very satisfied - thank you Cauri btw, since i couldn't on your site!

and since there is this slight barely visible difference at the seam between the "hip" surface and the "gen" surface, so small you have to squint in a close-up - i wouldn't have bothered but why not since this map is out there for free - i thought this opacity map might help, and i downloaded it. but somehow - i must be very dense - i can't figure WHERE to put it. whether i put it in the opacity canal for the hip or the gen surface, it makes a whole part of the surface invisible, not just a few pixels at the seam (... and, since this is a graft and not the same "stick on top" system as M4 gen & the transmaps there, it also might be a total different issue).

what am i missing here? what did i totally get wrong about the reason for this transmap?

• IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

verry sorry to revive this old dead thread! stumbled on it looking for s'thing else. and then i saw this post. (above)

thing is, i already had the gen from CauriB and have used it for a while, very satisfied - thank you Cauri btw, since i couldn't on your site!

and since there is this slight barely visible difference at the seam between the "hip" surface and the "gen" surface, so small you have to squint in a close-up - i wouldn't have bothered but why not since this map is out there for free - i thought this opacity map might help, and i downloaded it. but somehow - i must be very dense - i can't figure WHERE to put it. whether i put it in the opacity canal for the hip or the gen surface, it makes a whole part of the surface invisible, not just a few pixels at the seam (... and, since this is a graft and not the same "stick on top" system as M4 gen & the transmaps there, it also might be a total different issue).

what am i missing here? what did i totally get wrong about the reason for this transmap?

This opacity map is supposed to be used on the M4 Gens using CauriB's M5 UV map, NOT the M5 Gens with CauriB's M4 UV map. :P

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

This opacity map is supposed to be used on the M4 Gens using CauriB's M5 UV map, NOT the M5 Gens with CauriB's M4 UV map. :P

oh. this would explain why it didn't work laugh. i knew i was missing something.
    i had downloaded those recently too, "just in case", but after opening the M4 gens in UVmapper i got confuzzled and gave up for a bit to allow myself an annoyed pause - i'm not fluent with UVmapper, only used it 1-2 times before, still making slow baby steps..
    anyways, now i know what to do and where, i can try once more. thanks for the answer - and of course, also for the map ^^