Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited August 2016

Stop shaming the PAs' muses. laugh

Post edited by TJohn on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    Novica said:

If a hair is for Genesis 3, can it work on Genesis 2?

Fit to seems to work fine, and I've tried several hairs.

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    Tjohn said:
    Novica said:

It will usually fit just fine as long as you have Gen 3 Female for Gen 2 Female, but if it has movement morphs they will often no longer work. At least thats been my experience.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I kind of like the Fayette hair. I am going to toss it into the UHT2 and see what happens. I think the bangs are just showing three different length options from longer to just a short fringe. I do like Rochelle Ponytail as well.

I'm going to wisely keep my mouth shut about that particular model.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Tjohn said:
    Novica said:

Thanks! Although looking at the price on the hair, I'm also going to have to wait awhile. With hurricane season kicking into higher gear, I'm holding off on spending as much. I love that Stairs and Rocks and Harpwood Trail. Will be buying sets, when I buy,  before I buy anymore hair.

I kind of like the Fayette hair. I am going to toss it into the UHT2 and see what happens. I think the bangs are just showing three different length options from longer to just a short fringe. I do like Rochelle Ponytail as well.

Would love to see it. Perhaps it will look different.  

Novica said:

Would love to see it. Perhaps it will look different.  

Will post a render when I do it. Waiting for stuff to download etc.

• XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 871
    Tjohn said:
    Novica said:

It will usually fit just fine as long as you have Gen 3 Female for Gen 2 Female, but if it has movement morphs they will often no longer work. At least thats been my experience.

there is always the option to use the transition XYZ, and Scale XYZ. then Parent.  though Auto fit works okayish most times even if you leave it as unsupported.  Also hairs that have a Scalp makes it easier to fit to what ever head that is not supported by not having the clone for Autofit, turn opacity down but leave Scalp 100%, just adjust the scalp to the head, once scalp fits like you want there is nothing else to do but dial Opacity back 100% on the rest of the hair, and play with what morph/shape dials that came with it.

doing this in Tpose you start with works better, trying to fit hairs  on a model already in a different pose can be frustrating

I found some hairs have to be parented to the head, some do not

Hi XaatXuun, hope you've been having a great summer! 

Yeah, I typically try to clothe and hair before moving from the T pose, it always works better that way.  Good ideas, thank you!

Anyone in the path of Hurricane Earl? 

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    XaatXuun said:
    Also hairs that have a Scalp makes it easier to fit to what ever head that is not supported by not having the clone for Autofit, turn opacity down but leave Scalp 100%, just adjust the scalp to the head

By strange coincidence, I only did this for the first time yesterday. It was a bit of a 'duh' moment when I realised how much easier life would have been if I'd thought of it sooner :)

edited August 2016

Okay here is a quick comparsion in Iray of the Fayette Hair.  the first one is out of the box the second one I lengthened the bangs and used the UHt2 hair salon on it.

I will say that this hair has a wonderful bunch of morphs, every section of the pigtails is movable, very well done as far as posing the hair goes.

Edited to add that apparently I forgot to uncheck the bows when I did the hair salon lol. 

And just for fun I did the Fayette hair and added Frawn hair to it and added scale shaders to the bows lol.

Fayette Hair Test.png
    415 x 672 - 354K
    Fayette Hair Test 2.png
    415 x 672 - 305K
    Fayette Hair Test 3.png
    415 x 672 - 415K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Still not a fan. Even with all the help (and man, you did a great job!) to me it still looks flat and crumpled. I don't like the ends either. Although I don't particularly care for the style of the bangs, they look better than the tails. Which character did you use, she's rather nice? Thanks for showing the hair!

edited August 2016
    Thanks! I believe that's Ayunia G3F but I will have to look when I get home. I'm on my phone waiting on a tow truck for my husband's truck
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited August 2016

Oh dear! Hope you have AAA  The tows are free, and they'll take you 50 miles without charging anything IIRC. I had to use them to jumpstart my other car twice, I hadn't shut a door and the dome light was left on a few days. 

Due to the 70% deal, I got the Military Reinforcements Bundle when I bought Takeshi, so I put the two together in the Old Garden (got the bundle.)  Dumor really packed that set with vegetation and props. I am still finding the ivy from most vendors to be rather stacked on the ground vegetation. I can't quite put my finger on what I don't like.  Ivy indents in the middle and the leaves curve upward, and it seems they do so, but it's the layering or something that doesn't appeal to me. I think that the indentation in the middle isn't deep enough, but I'm just guessing. The HDRI is a nice  road/woods scene, very useful for other things.

For the Michael 7 Expressive, I like the 79.7 Furious WITH 54.7 Concentrated. If you don't do the Concentrated, there really isn't enough brow action, hardly any on Takeshi. 

On the military outfit, to me the rucksack isn't realistic. The closures are smooth and I think it looks like a kiddie camping backpack.  Overall, it's not complicated enough.  

The lighting used is by Dumor (the vendor) and he gives you several options- very nice! Easy to use, click and you're good!

TakeshiArmyOutfitGarden.jpg
    713 x 800 - 687K
    TakeshiArmyOutfitGarden2.jpg
    713 x 800 - 629K
    TakeshiArmyOutfitGarden3.jpg
    713 x 800 - 554K
    armybackpack.jpg
    298 x 448 - 24K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

I particularly like the look of that garden set. Durmor3D does fantastic work. It took me a long time to catch on to the clever pun of his PA name, but when I did, I laughed a lot. Very nice renders, Novica.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited August 2016

I found the army uniform disappointing. It is a step in the right direction, but it is very clingy, especially if your guy is big. It clings too much to the biceps and the pecs looking like.... I dunno... Too tight for movement especially on a muscular guys. It almost seems designed to fit ladies.  I do like the weapon, and the goggles. I agree about the pack. The textuers are nice add-on but I'd really like a shirt that was loose not form fitting. Also would like rank insignia.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • What's really off about them, however, is that the male uniform is the uniform I wore back when I was in the Army back in 1989-1993. They don't even wear that uniform anymore, and haven't in almost 20 years. Not even that, but Army field uniform pants don't have cargo pockets on the calves, and are supposed to be bloused. The female uniform in that bundle isn't even close to a real US Army uniform, though the chest pockets are closer to what they wear now. 

edited August 2016

Yep. I was an Army officer from 1978- 1982 and during that time, the switch was made to the bigger, baggy uniform (I remember the pockets by the hips, very large)  It was such a different uniform. It was similar to this one, but agree it's not baggy enough at the default setting.  When I saw this uniform, I assumed he was just going for generic military and not United States. There's no US on it anywhere.

Post edited by Novica on

I don't think they can get too specific due to copyright or something along those lines.  I read somewhere that someone had to be very careful as far as the camoflouge pattern went due to some sort of restriction.  so that may have played into it as well.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

In movies, they can't replicate the US uniforms exactly - but some actors respect those uniforms too much to tweak them TOO much. For example, R. Lee Ermey's stripes were 1/4" too close to the seam of his sleeve in Full Metal Jacket (that was actually HIS uniform, BTW), and Jack Nicholson's uniform in the court scene in A Few Good Men is EXACT - except a couple of the non-symmetrical ribbons are upside down.

Valandar said:

In movies, they can't replicate the US uniforms exactly - but some actors respect those uniforms too much to tweak them TOO much. For example, R. Lee Ermey's stripes were 1/4" too close to the seam of his sleeve in Full Metal Jacket (that was actually HIS uniform, BTW), and Jack Nicholson's uniform in the court scene in A Few Good Men is EXACT - except a couple of the non-symmetrical ribbons are upside down.

Neat info! You should go on Jeopardy! wink

edited November 2016

Be SURE and read about this item in the Flash Sale of 60% off~ The walls are separated into groups with the props- but they are separated- and the blinds open and close. Good job PerspectX ! (EDIT- ImagineX) And they LISTED all this in the description. Appreciate that!

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    Novica said:

Be SURE and read about this item in the Flash Sale of 60% off~ The walls are separated into groups with the props- but they are separated- and the blinds open and close. Good job PerspectX ! And they LISTED all this in the description. Appreciate that!

The artist is ImagineX .

barbult said:
    Novica said:

Be SURE and read about this item in the Flash Sale of 60% off~ The walls are separated into groups with the props- but they are separated- and the blinds open and close. Good job PerspectX ! And they LISTED all this in the description. Appreciate that!

The artist is ImagineX .

Well, I knew that. Where the heck did I get Perspect? Thanks for correcting it! yes

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited August 2016

I've been keeping up to date reading all the reviews posted here but haven't had anything to post recently until today. I appreciate all that people have been sharing!

This is a review of my first attempt using the new UltraScatter Advanced Instancing for Daz Studio script. Terrain is Hilly Surround with mountains from MountainScapes Backdrops Volume 2: Snow Edition. Iray skydome is from Modern Museum. Pine trees from Evergreen Fir Trees and stone piles from Archaic Ruins.

Ultrascatter is a useful tool to get if you like to create your own scenes with multiple instances or just want to add more density of items like vegetation to an existing set. Fairly straightforward to use but I recommend reading the PDF that comes with it. Conveniently, the PDF is available via an icon right next the the Ultrascatter icon in the content library. No need to go hunt it up.

There is a bit of a learning curve so start with something simple. In this example, I'm going to add pine trees and stone piles to a terrain. I set up the scene by loading the hilly surround terrain and the two props. Select a prop then start the Ultrascatter script.

First thing to do is to pick the target object, which in this case is the terrain. The default number of instances is 20. How many you use is up to you, but if you add a lot, then it's best to set the Iray render instances optimization setting to "Memory" otherwise it can overwhelm your GPU. I chose 40 trees (not all are visible in the scene). I didn't want the trees to be in the flat center area, so I selected a minimum slope of 20 degrees which started the trees partway up the terrain's slope.

The instances are scattered across the entire object by default but there are at least two ways to control where they go: one is to use a distribution map, the other is to create a selection set using the geometry tool. I tried both. The map lets you control via a gray scale image (the darker the tone, the fewer instances that are placed) which lets you create say a forest with dense trees in the middle and scattered trees on the edges. 

To distribute the stones, I exited the script, chose the stone prop, and restarted the script. This time I only chose 8 instances (not all visible). To keep them near the center, I created a selection set: you select polygons on the terrain with the geometry tool, then right click on the words "Selection Set" and choose "Create Selection Set from Selected" and give it a name.  Selection sets don't require you to use a separate paint program, so they are quick to set up within DS, but you also can't control the density of instances. With the Ultrascatter script running, select the Advanced tab, click on the "Limit Selection to" drop down box and pick whatever name you used. The stones are then set only within the area you specified.

Sliders let you set a number of parameters such as rotation and scale, which are then randomized. The tree prop was large, so I chose a scale range of 50 to 75%. For the stone piles, I left scale at 100% but varied Y rotation.

One watch out: the instances will end up floating if the rotation pivot point isn't at the bottom of the prop. The pine tree loads with the pivot point halfway up the trunk, so they end up floating in the sky and you have to move them down by experimentation. Use the Joint Editor tool to move the pivot point if needed. Even if not floating, you may need to adjust the instances height slightly. I had to do that for the stones so both sides were buried in the terrain. The script can set objects oriented to the surface normal, so that would have been another way for me to set the stones.

One nice feature is you can rerun the script for a given prop without having to re-enter all the data. You just select the instance group in the scene tab and run the script again and it will have all the settings you used last time for that prop. This makes it easy to adjust as you learn.

So far I'm liking this tool and think it will see a lot of use by me. I know Tango Alpha redid Hemlock Folly with it which says a lot too.

EDIT: I hid the instances and just rendered the original terrain, mountain and sky to show how adding just a few instances can change the character of the scene.

Ultrascatter Hilly Surround.jpg
    739 x 826 - 619K
    Ultrascatter Hilly Surround no instances.jpg
    732 x 791 - 583K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

Wow, thanks for all the details and what to watch for. The trees really do look varied and add a lot to the scene. I haven't bought this yet but I'll put a link on the first post of this thread so pepole can find it easily. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and "how-to." 

Don't miss out on the mega flash sale: (Top banner)

http://www.daz3d.com/mega-flash-sale

Also, we'll be getting a new figure tomorrow.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Shall we start taking bets on what it'll be? LOL

I'm going for female. And probably a teen/tween/whatever they call them. Julie? 

Don't miss out on the mega flash sale: (Top banner)

http://www.daz3d.com/mega-flash-sale

Also, we'll be getting a new figure tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure you are correct.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Bingo! Tween Julie 7 it is :D

http://www.daz3d.com/08-09-tween-julie-7

This discussion has been closed.