Smoothing modifier and collision objects

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is it possible to have multiple collision items for a single item? For example, I apply a smoothing modifier to a shirt, and have a sword resting on the shoulder. Is there a way to apply the smoothing modifier to fix the pokethrough against the figure (normal) AS WELL AS ajust for the sword touching the cloth?

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Not directly. Some folks will load a bodysuit and make it invisible at render time. Then 'outer layer' stuff is set to collide with the bodysuit, which is scaled up slightly to give the needed clearance from the body for the 'inner layer' clothing.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You can also create a Geo-Shell and use it as the second collision item. It can be scaled as well.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

when i have a scene absolutely finalized, I will sometimes take a certain object, set it to collide, and then export that object with the collision shape, and import again, and this time set it to collide something else.

This has been my only work around for me.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

All of these things seem terribly clever. I will try them all!

• OridionOridion Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You can also create a Geo-Shell and use it as the second collision item. It can be scaled as well.

I'm curious on how you would do this. For example I want the Cube to collide with both Cones (see attachment). I created a Geo-Shell from the Cube, applied Smoothing to the Geo-Shell, and have it collide with the Red Cone. But nothing is happening.

belovedalia's idea seems pretty good. I'm just curious to know if there's some built-in approach.

Thanks!

collision2.png
    863 x 713 - 350K
    collision.png
    770 x 713 - 335K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It already had a collision with the first cone. But I was speaking in terms of clothing, I've never tried a primative.

• OridionOridion Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I used primitives because they were easy to test. I assume smoothing and collisions still apply, do they not?

I tried using a clothing item (see attachment.) The clothing item collided with Genesis. I created a Geo-Shell out of the shirt (and hid the original clothing). Then I tried to collide the Geo-Shell with a prop sword. But nothing is happening. Maybe I'm approaching this wrong. =\

Thanks!

collision.png
    378 x 589 - 128K