Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Can hair sets made with your program be used by other users who do not have your product?

Can hair be separrated into groups so that different effects and shaders be used on different sections?

To use a hair style created by Garibaldi Express you will need the Garibaldi Plugin.

Almost any parameter in garibaldi express can be controlled by texture control maps. So 'effect' deformers can localised and faded into any area.
    The texture maps can be created and painted inside garibaldi or imported from external image files created in your choice of image editing application.

Colour can be optional controlled with texture maps that can also be painted directly in Garibaldi Express.
    The basic shader options such as specular intensity are currently uniform across the garibaldi hair.

If you wish to have dramatically different hair growing from the same geometry then I would advise you to just create multiple Garibaldi Nodes.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    Interesting and first impression is that it is indeed very intuitive and quick to use. Will give more feedback once I get the latest version to be issued today.

New links for beta2 have been sent to existing testers.
    New signups will be sent links for beta2 now.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I love hair ... especially virtual hair. :)
    Now I am waiting for the PC beta.
    :)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

whats it going to cost ?
    waiting for pc beta

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the Add sir...

I too am patiently waiting for the WIN version...

I also need to get a Mac one of these days just for BetaTesting...

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

To use a hair style created by Garibaldi Express you will need the Garibaldi Plugin.

So, in order to use hair made by Garibaldi Express you must also have the same Garibaldi Express Plugin. And there is no free or cheaper plugin that will allow people to USE the hairs made by Garibaldi Express without being able to make the hair. Correct?

Almost any parameter in Garibaldi Express can be controlled by texture control maps. So 'effect' deformers can localized and faded into any area.
    The texture maps can be created and painted inside garibaldi or imported from external image files created in your choice of image editing application.

What type of parameters are available to chenage by texture maps?

Colour can be optionally controlled with texture maps that can also be painted directly in Garibaldi Express.

Nice!

The basic shader options such as specular intensity are currently uniform across the garibaldi hair.

So is there a way to isolate certain sections or make separate "hair pieces" so that the shader options only effect one area. Like making separate scalp pieces from which to grow hair out of and take into Garibaldi Express?

If you wish to have dramatically different hair growing from the same geometry then I would advise you to just create multiple Garibaldi Nodes.

Multiple hair pieces like above?

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

from technical point of view the hair system is like in Carrara or Poser , you create nodes ( groups ) each node have own style or hair texture, Garibaldi Nodes are not geometry files, that can be rendered by other plugin that are primitive curves and Daz Studio 3Delite renderer can render them into hair , The final rendered hair you see is visual product of rendering only , virtual and what a plugin do is creating the primitive curves for you with information for the 3Delite how they should be rendered , and everyone with the plugin can share the style with each other , the way it works in Carrara or Poser but in a much easy way . And we all know that you can't use or render the hair from Carrara or Poser anywhere else . Converting curves to polygons is not big deal but the size of the obj will kill your memory very quick , not to mention you can't rig this size of object so that is useless , the max I used in GPU renderer was 2 milions for 100.000 hair strands 280MB obj and that was not much only the scalp hair now think about fur how much strands it will use the size will be overwhelming
    the maz size that you can use for rigging in DS was around 500.000 poly for 7.000 hair strands anything above that was crashing DS while rigging , the best was working with 200.000 poly per geometry object

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I don't think I care if it is objectable or not. My question would be more along the lines of can we share presets. And since you shared two I am going to guess that is a doable option.

edited December 1969

futurebiscuit - 19 October 2012 11:04 PM

the answer is there already, sharing style is possible other way would be not so good .
    This will allow you to create own beautiful hair and share or sell the style to others that use this plugin

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It looks to me that density maps (which are pretty much a 'standard' item for curve based hair) and the actual 'settings' would be shareable.

edited December 1969

Just my opinion here...
    The Owners of said Plugin should have an Obj export option...This way any hairs created can be sold to anyone or shared with anyone...

Big selling point here for the Plugin...

edited December 1969

Does not sound like objects would be very viable due to the volume of polies created by the process. On the other hand I would think that presets will have potential as freebies/products.

edited October 2012

Well I don't have the Plugin yet(PC here)But I would think that some where in the Plugin you could control the Density(Polys) of the hair object..

Presets would be cool if a user could use the hair and didn't have the Hair plugin...

Post edited by foleypro on
    edited December 1969

But wouldn't lower density be well..um..just not the same sort of quality? I guess I would rather have finer hair and have to own a plug in than get hair that may be usable as an object but has been dumbed down to the point that it isn't much better than the hair we already have available.

Of course for me it will all hinge on length because longer hair tends to be the least realistic looking in render currently. If having long realistic seeming hair needs a plug in to run the hair after I have finished posing and dressing a character I am well on board to get the plugin and have to sort out my own styles.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...very impressive. Now I gotta get that 64 bit system finished. To actually be able to create hair unique to a specific character is incredible.

edited December 1969

if the option of exporting geometry is added there would be possible to control the poly count with the density map , but think about that hair need segments and profile and if you make a grass that would be not much but if the hair strand have a curve what for hair is more that likely you will have it it will increase the poly count to a size you view port will freeze as DS can't handle it and I spend 5 months on that specifically to find solution for hair and high poly count in DS , I got it to work but with the static prop without rigging as DS can't do that it was to much poly to handle .

But as Khory said , I have enough of figuring out and battle with high poly models , that why I am going for the plugin and have the most realistic hair I can create without worry about rigging and other memory issues and stuff .
    Generating hair with plugin is 1 thing but make it looking good and style it realistic that request another skills as with everything else we do
    but that is the nature of man that want something they don't have, why make it difficult if it is simple already

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Looks like an amazing product. Looking forward to testing out the Windows version :-)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2012

It should be possible to make a 'read only' plugin. One that could read a 'configuration' file and allow color/shader changes, but no styling or anything else. That would solve one major hurdle, allowing 'premade' hair styles to be distrbuted...but it wouldn't solve the fact that this hair can't be rendered in Reality/Lux (or Octane)...just the Renderman family (and only ones with riCurves (assuming that's how this is done...nothing else makes sense).

The whole purpose of riCurve hair is that it is an almost trivial procedure for 3Delight to generate/color(texture)/shade/render 100s of thousands of hairs, with much less processing power/impact than a very simple transmapped/object based hair model. Much faster...order of magnitude faster...with occlusion. Two things that will dramatically increase render times...high poly count and transparency, especially transparency with occlusion.

As it stands, this would be a 'procedural' hair. If the shaders being used are the ones I'm thinking of, then other than specifying a color value (or two...root and tip are typical...everything else is calculated), there is nothing else that needs to be done...no maps of any sort are NEEDED. Several of the shaders can read the color values from a texture map and plug in those colors for 'root' values.

I believe that there is work being done to get Blender curves/particles to work in Lux...but I'm not sure about that. I know that they are working on some sort of system for procedurals of various types in Lux, but haven't really paid attention to exactly which. Blender uses an implementation of Bezier curves and riCurves are more or less the same thing without a few of the options Blender adds, so it shouldn't be too hard to translate a riCurve to a regular Bezier curve that would be usable elsewhere.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Looks nice. I read

I will be releasing a beta 2 that fixes issues with rendering hair on non genesis characters (seems I broke this) and some other minor issues today.

So this means I could fur the millennium dog for example? Can't wait for a windows beta, my mac isn't quite strong enough to load daz with any good performance.

edited December 1969

Getting full plugin will allow the end user to edit the hair style , other way they will be not poseable , how you imagine to use the hair if there are clothing on and each clothing are different and hair will need to be adjusted , what about poses , I think it would be much easy to make the hair fall down in place to have it static , this idea is good for short hair that don't have to be edited when used with clothing or poses but for any other long or ponytail hair you need to adjust the gravity to make it looks accurate , so just read plugin is not much functional here for the end user .
    and regarding to reality , that would be great if Paolo can make it happen , and translate the curves into geometries when exporting to Luxrender . It is not that hard to do as Lucrender can handle better the high sub-d level of the hair geometries . But if James decide to add this feature it would be great also

mjc1016 said:
    It should be possible to make a 'read only' plugin. One that could read a 'configuration' file and allow color/shader changes, but no styling or anything else. That would solve one major hurdle, allowing 'premade' hair styles to be distrbuted....
    edited December 1969

or beautiful realistic grass in your scene .. I wonder if there would be option for trans maps as it would allow us to create amazing effects like leafs on the tree or other effects like 1000 butterflies the the field .. lol

Looks nice. I read

I will be releasing a beta 2 that fixes issues with rendering hair on non genesis characters (seems I broke this) and some other minor issues today.

So this means I could fur the millennium dog for example? Can't wait for a windows beta, my mac isn't quite strong enough to load daz with any good performance.

edited December 1969

Have you done any animals yet? If so I'd love to see how that turned out.

Nothing more than some basic tests.
    My main early tests such as the ones on the website have concentrated on figures as they have traditionally been harder to get looking right (uncanny valley and all that).

edited December 1969

Are the hairs that were on the download page the same for Win and Mac? I downloaded them but not the plugin since I'm on Windows - really looking forward to the Windows Beta!

The daz .duf format is cross platform. All garibaldi express data is collected into the duf file and is also cross platform.
    Those files will work on windows when the plugin is installed.

Those examples are a under a premisive creative common lisence, so you can use them as fast starting point for your own content.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    whats it going to cost ?
    waiting for pc beta

Final pricing will not be confirmed yet...
    But I will say... I think it will be a plesant suprise.

I do hope Garibaldi Express will be a sucess so I can justify spending more time working with the Daz Studio platform.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Are the hairs that were on the download page the same for Win and Mac? I downloaded them but not the plugin since I'm on Windows - really looking forward to the Windows Beta!

The daz .duf format is cross platform. All garibaldi express data is collected into the duf file and is also cross platform.
    Those files will work on windows when the plugin is installed.

Those examples are a under a premisive creative common lisence, so you can use them as fast starting point for your own content.

Cool - thanks :) Looking forward to the windows plugin beta :)

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

What type of parameters are available to chenage by texture maps?

Watch the introduction video. You'll be able to see all the options.
    Although the interface is planned to be reworked before the final version you should be able to get the idea.

So is there a way to isolate certain sections or make separate "hair pieces" so that the shader options only effect one area. Like making separate scalp pieces from which to grow hair out of and take into Garibaldi Express?
    Multiple hair pieces like above?

So yeah if you want different hair pieces, for example scalp hair and a beard you can just create different nodes. But there nothing stopping you from creating both in the same node, as the options can be masked to areas of the head using texture maps.

If your worried about doing advanced things like creating partings in the hair, then garibaldi express has an automatic parting feature. The parting in the included simple blond hair example was created by simply moving a single slider.

edited December 1969

then garibaldi express has an automatic parting feature.

How much would I love to have one of those on my son?

Does it do wavy hair/lose curl hair?

edited December 1969

Khory said:
    then garibaldi express has an automatic parting feature.

How much would I love to have one of those on my son?

Does it do wavy hair/lose curl hair?
    Wavy curls should be fine...
    The first fast time-lapse at the start of the intro video is me quickly doing some edits to the included simple example. These including adding curl waves.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

I took an hour out to play with the beta and although i had some issues with painting the hair on the back and undoing selections, it wasn't too bad playing with just moving the hair around. There may need to be more options with shaders though; Combing the rendering of hair with HSS settings of my character didn't come out to well. And i played with the frizziness and got some stray hairs. Haven't had a chance to put in the beta email, but i'll try to get that in the morning... but it looks promising. I'll probably have to take some more time to make sure I was doing everything correctly.

HairTest01.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 381K
    edited December 1969

It's strange that I get the impression that there not much appreciation for 3Delight around here. I'm still amazed it's licensed to be included in a free product.
    I guess it can be a steep learning curve to get any decent results, the lighting and rendering tools in Daz are not really fully exploiting it either.

It's older cousin Pixar's PRMan has be the foundation of basically all rendering in hollywood vfx, well since the beginning.

A example of a film using 3Delight for rendering is District 9, I felt that the aliens in that were near seamless. Them and most of all the other vfx were rendered in 3Delight.

http://film.image-engine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=86

This discussion has been closed.