To the pose experts ...

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I often buy pose sets from vendors that create individual body part poses ... top/bottom, arms, legs, head, etc. vs full poses. So far, all of the ones I have are for v4.

How do I piece part poses myself for m4, though? I want to keep the lower body pose I have but do something else with the top part. Any semi-quick way of doing this?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You can try a V4 pose...often they'll work fine or need very minor adjustments. If it does need adjustment, you can save it out, as a new pose, after tweaking.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    You can try a V4 pose...often they'll work fine or need very minor adjustments. If it does need adjustment, you can save it out, as a new pose, after tweaking.

How do I save out a pose? That would be a handy ability since I often tweak after poses to suit needs, then get frustrated when I can't duplicate a pose I like ... lol. I'm working in DS3A, if that makes a difference.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

File > Save As > Pose Preset

edited December 1969

Does it get saved in a special file or something?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

For Part poses remember to only check the parts of the body you wish to keep in your pose preset. IE the lower body in this example.

edited December 1969

It gets saved as a DS script, e.g. .dsa file.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    For Part poses remember to only check the parts of the body you wish to keep in your pose preset. IE the lower body in this example.

So I pose m4 in the full pose that I want the bottom of, select the individual parts I want to save out (all of them or just hips?), then save them in maybe a sub-folder so I can locate it again. Right?

edited December 1969

It gets saved as a DS script, e.g. .dsa file.

That's good to know ... lol ... I could just see me getting and far and start swearing ... lol.

Now, once I utilize all of these individual poses, I can then save the completed full pose as a full pose itself, right?

edited October 2012

Jaderail said:

So I pose m4 in the full pose that I want the bottom of, select the individual parts I want to save out (all of them or just hips?), then save them in maybe a sub-folder so I can locate it again. Right?If it's full lower start at Hips and then select all nodes below the hips. For Arms I do Shoulder (some times collar) on down to the tip of each finger. I also double check that each node is selected before I save. I keep my poses in my own folder I added to DS.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Can I save or export the pose while it's in the scene, or should I clear everything else out like I do for an obj export?

edited December 1969

Can I save or export the pose while it's in the scene, or should I clear everything else out like I do for an obj export?

You don't need to clear everything else out, it only saves the pose settings for the selected figure.

edited October 2012

Quick Tip for all Users: Saving out Parts Poses from the basic poses that come with some figure bundles is a free and easy way to have a large collection of fast pose files that when re-combined in new ways can create some very pretty and useful poses. This would be just for your own use but is allowed (I hope). I do many sets this way and go so far as to do just Hips as a pose (for the Icon I hide the rest of the body and use a Zoom with that part centered for the render), in one folder. I can quick pose my G4 figures very fast this way.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

It should be fine to save it from the scene, without clearing everything else out.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Aidana

The easiest way of mixing and matching partial poses is to use PoseMaster (see the link in my sig and check out the tutorial vids at youtube.com/cridgit3d). It was originally created with this purpose and later evolved into a tool for transferring poses between figures.

The workflow is incredibly simple:
    1. Select the figure then load the pose/partial pose you want to use and click PoseMaster Copy to copy the current pose.
    2. [Optional] Select Edit / Undo if you wish to revert to the previous pose.
    3. Select the body part/s you wish to apply the pose to e.g. neck, left shoulder, right thight.
    4. Select PoseMaster Paste and any options (e.g. rotation only, or recursive).

The copied pose is applied only to the selected body parts.

Studio's Save Pose Preset functionality is good for saving poses for future use in your Library, but PoseMaster is for working efficiently with combinations of poses.

Drop me a line in the PoseMaster thread if you get stuck.

Cheers

Definitely adding PoseMaster to my cart. Thanks for the heads-up.

I followed the steps above, but don't see my poses in my content tab. Am I forgetting a step?

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    No it mostly works in memory only affecting the loaded figures in the scene. While it does save files to disk, it doesn't add them to your library (unless you are converting poses).

I typically use it like this: load a pose, copy it, paste part of it, load another pose, paste part of that one etc. Then I save my scene as usual in Studio. So you'd typically use PoseMaster Copy/Paste in one sitting. If you close down Studio and got to sleep, when you start the next day you'd start using it again fresh with a new set of poses.

However, when you are converting poses (V4 to Genesis, say) those will be added to your library for future use. What you described above is typical mixing & matching, not converting between figures.

Hope this is a bit clearer now?

Not really ... lol

I saved the pose presets, but I don't see how to use the presets. What's the point of saving them if I can't use them later?

edited May 2022

Redacted

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

The Poser Format Exporter can save the partial poses you need. It's a free product download. The product page also includes a tutorial by MattyManx on how to use it.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/poser-format-exporter-pfe

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    There are 4 scenario's you may find yourself in:
    1a. You want to convert one pose between figures (only in the current scene)
    1b. You want to convert multiple poses between figures (and have the converted poses available in your library for future use).

2a. You want to mix and match multiple poses (only in the current scene).
    2b. You want to mix and match multiple poses (and have the combined pose available in your library for future use).

In case 1a you will load both source and target figures into the scene, then load a pose onto the source figure and use PoseMaster Transfer to convert the pose from the source figure to the target figure. It reads the pose of the source figure in Studio and applies it to the target figure in Studio. No poses are saved to the Library. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKKApjYI814 and (there is another video for animated poses).

In case 1b you will load both source and target figures into the scene, then run PoseMaster Batch to convert a whole set of poses. The converted poses are saved as DSA pose presets and available in your Library for future use. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnvEY6Kt7Eo&feature=plcp

In case 2a you will load both source and target figures into the scene, then load the poses you want to combine, each time using PoseMaster Copy and PoseMaster Paste to copy/paste the relevant bits of each pose until you have assembled your final combined pose on the target figure. No poses are saved to the Library. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-qSZ11qglw&feature=plcp

In case 2b you will follow the steps for 2a, then select Save As Pose Preset in Studio - using Studio's default function for saving poses. The DUF pose preset will be available in your Library for future use.

So PoseMaster allows you to mix and match poses and to convert poses between figures inside Studio (both things Studio does not do). It does not replicate Studio's built-in ability to save pose presets into your Library*.

* The exception is PoseMaster Batch, which uses Studio's ability to save pose presets, to automatically transfer many poses between figures (otherwise you would have to do them one by one inside Studio, which could be annoying if you have hundreds of poses).

I'm definitely sold ... I just need to get paid first ... lol. Curious: I see I can transfer poser for genesis to m4/v4, but can I also transfer poser from older generations?

edited December 1969

The Poser Format Exporter can save the partial poses you need. It's a free product download. The product page also includes a tutorial by MattyManx on how to use it.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I thought I followed the directions on how to save my pose now that it's made, but I can't seem to be able to utilize the saved pose ... I guess I'm still confused about something.

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

cridgit said:

I see I can transfer poser for genesis to m4/v4, but can I also transfer poser from older generations?

PoseMaster ships with data files for transferring poses between V4/M4 and Genesis (both ways) and there is a new People Pack about to be released which allows transfers between all DAZ figures (see the thread here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9157/).

Does PM only work in DS4?

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    cridgit said:

I see I can transfer poser for genesis to m4/v4, but can I also transfer poser from older generations?

PoseMaster ships with data files for transferring poses between V4/M4 and Genesis (both ways) and there is a new People Pack about to be released which allows transfers between all DAZ figures (see the thread here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9157/).

Does PM only work in DS4?

No also in DS3. I wrote it in DS3 and it has been tested and is working in DS4 and DS4.5. I'm busy doing an update as we speak, you can find the details near the end of this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6445/

Whew! I was about to be heart broken ... lol. I am a DS3 person. I have DS4, but I don't use it.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I thought I followed the directions on how to save my pose now that it's made, but I can't seem to be able to utilize the saved pose ... I guess I'm still confused about something.

After you save a pose (full or partial) there are two ways to use it in DS.

1. Use the Import option to load the pose from the folder you saved it to on to the selected figure.

2. Move the saved pose into your Pose folder. The one that is in your Poser Runtime Library.

If you are not clear on the whole folder structure, please go here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5436/

For option 2, there are two ways you can place the pose there. Either manually or by zipping it up in a Runtime folder structure and installing it like you would any purchased content that comes in a zip file.

edited December 1969

I am a DS3 person. I have DS4, but I don't use it.

Do you have DS4 or DS4.5 ?

I ask cause I myself prefered DS3 over DS4 BUT DS4.5 is so much better then DS4 that I have yet to go back since I upgraded to DS4.5

I also ask because DS4 and DS4.5 render faster then DS3 does so you can do the same work in less tinme.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

After you save a pose (full or partial) there are two ways to use it in DS.

1. Use the Import option to load the pose from the folder you saved it to on to the selected figure.

2. Move the saved pose into your Pose folder. The one that is in your Poser Runtime Library.

If you are not clear on the whole folder structure, please go here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5436/

For option 2, there are two ways you can place the pose there. Either manually or by zipping it up in a Runtime folder structure and installing it like you would any purchased content that comes in a zip file.

For Option 2..make sure you have an icon with the pose...otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of the generic icons. That means make sure you move the pose file and its associated png, if one was generated. If one wasn't...make one. For DS3 that means a 91x91 square png render...

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

I ask cause I myself prefered DS3 over DS4 BUT DS4.5 is so much better then DS4 that I have yet to go back since I upgraded to DS4.5

I also ask because DS4 and DS4.5 render faster then DS3 does so you can do the same work in less tinme.

I prefer DS3, also.

I saved the files in my pose runtime, but I can't see them. I'll try again.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

I prefer DS3, also.

I saved the files in my pose runtime, but I can't see them. I'll try again.

In DS3, you need to refresh your runtime.

Go to 'Edit > Preferences' then on the window that comes up go to the Directories tab, click on Advanced, then click on Accept in the smaller window and then clikc accept on the preferences window and that should hopefully do it.

If that does not work, double check that you are following the Runtime structure properly. For example...

"Runtime > Libraries > Pose > Folder name of choice"

Folder names in Red must be followed or it will not show up.