Export single object to obj from Hexagon?

Zone 822Zone 822 Posts: 30
edited December 1969 in New Users

I modeled a column with several parts and I want to export just one part to obj. Hexagon insists on exporting the entire scene -- all the parts. The obj export screen has no option like "use selected object".

How can I export only the selected object?

I searched the forum and web and looked at the manual. Surely it is there somewhere but I couldn't find anything among all the other stuff.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Hide or delete everything else.

• Zone 822Zone 822 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Hmm, well that will do it. Thanks.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited October 2012

Please do remember that real world limitations do not apply in 3D modeling. You can delete anything you want from your scene and still have it all simply by re-loading a previously-saved file or hitting undo.

Post edited by Ascania on
    edited October 2012

That's true in many CG things. Try explaining a negative intensity light that "shines darkness" on things to someone. I like that in other software to make things look mysterious or surreal.

Makes more sense to me to export the selected objects. But Selection->Show Only Selection works on one or many selected objects and works as a toggle to un-hide the rest after export.

Post edited by Zone 822 on
    edited December 1969

Well, the Show Only Selected thing doesn't work for export. The items aren't visible but aren't hidden. But hiding them is not much trouble.

So, I tried getting these columns from Hexagon into Daz Studio. First the bridge. It asked questions for each object and there are a lot of objects in this scene. I saw that it would take forever to get this to DS that way and stopped.

Then I tried obj export and import. Daz treated it as one object. I tried importing the obj into trueSpace, with a plugin, and that didn't work well either. I'm wondering if obj is the way to go for complex multi-object transfer.

Any suggestions about the best way to model and compose a complex scene with many objects in Hexagon/DS and get the objects into DS?

Columns.jpg
    796 x 434 - 29K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Zone 822 :)

Any suggestions about the best way to model and compose a complex scene with many objects in Hexagon/DS and get the objects into DS?

the simple answer is you don't build complex scenes in hexagon , or any other modeller, and then export to DS.
    yopu'd build a model, and export it,..
    if you only want a column, build it and export it,. once it's saved as a prop, it can be added as many times as the user requires.

You could build a column (with or without base and capital) depending on what you want the user to be able to do with the object in DS or any other 3D program, and you export that single object.

You'd then build and export the main structure which the columns are supporting, and perhaps a base, again depending on what you want the user to be able to construct with the parts.

As Ascania suggested above,. Any part of your current file, can be deleted, so that you're only left with a column , which you can then save as a NEW file, and export as a single object

you can do the same with any other parts of that model which you want to export.

If you have a saved file of those models together, then as long as you don't overwrite that file, you can delete any objects you don't want to export,.. then export what you have left.

Hope that makes sense :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Ascania and 3Dage.

Looks like I need to adjust my work flow. Hexagon = props, DS = scene. Precision assembly of a colonnade = Hexagon. Position the colonnade in the scene = DS.

I mostly have used an all-in-one program before, so I could model items, assemble the scene, light, and render in the same space. Different work flow here so I'll adjust to it. For example, I don't need the 30+ parts of each column in DS. I just need a column with appropriate texture areas.

I'm mostly interested in DS for access to 3Delight but the character rigging and posing parts are great. I have a idea for a character to put on t-shirts and DS will be good for that.

Bryce can obviously to many-item large scenes as well as landscapes. Have to learn Bryce too.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

For what you're doing, you should seriously look at Carrara.

You have the All in one Modelling, assembling, texturing / 3D Painting, Terrain generators, plant generators, volumetric clouds, sun and moon-light systems, "real world" IES light profiles, negative lights, HDRI lighting,..Oceans, replicators, surface replicators,. key-frame and Non linear animation (NLA) , physics simulation, and rendering , including global illumination and Multi-pass rendering.

Download the free 30 day trial from (C-net) .. www.downloads.com