Hexagon has no torus primitive?

Zone 822Zone 822 Posts: 30
edited December 1969 in New Users

I see a sculptie torus but there is no regular primitive torus?

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

why would you need one? Make a circle and thicken it. Simples.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited October 2012

No there isn't one that I can see.

You can send the DS one to Hex using the bridge though.

EDIT:
    Of course Ascania, it's been a while since I used Hex.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • Zone 822Zone 822 Posts: 30
    edited October 2012

Thanks! A torus primitive seems standard for most modelers but tori aren't that commonly used so manufacturing one is good enough.

Always a balance between too many or too complex tools and too few. I could draw pictures in dirt with my fingers so why do I need Hexagon or pencils? I'd like to see more abilities built in to the primitives in Hexagon but so far I like its tool set. It doesn't need four million tools to do what a good set of a few can. Like you said, circle, thickness, easy.

Post edited by Zone 822 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

A true torus primitive is not the same thing as a thickened circle...the faces are different.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

A torus would be a circle swept around another circle.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    A true torus primitive is not the same thing as a thickened circle...the faces are different.

Hexagon does not deal in 'true' primitives at all. All its primitives are approximated through vertex objects. So it makes no difference, the end result would be the same either way.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited October 2012

I guess I'm weird - I use torus-es (or "tori" would be the plural) - but I have to go to Bryce to use them :)

Can you export tori from Bryce to Hex?

Post edited by cjreynolds on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Not directly.

But you could try the OBJ format?

edited December 1969

Not directly.

But you could try the OBJ format?

What a PITA - and tori are so cool...

edited December 1969

But then, most of the time I use tori is for complex booleans, and booleans don't seem to be needed/encouraged as much in most modeling programs like Hex.

Seems to me, anyway...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

Booleans in most modelling applications make actual changes to the geometry, and are apt to produce bad topology that can be hard to modify and can easily throw render artefacts. Bryce's Booleans are render-time only and so not subject to the same problems (modo has just gained a similar function, so Bryce was ahead of the pack in this).

edited December 1969

Booleans in most modelling applications make actual changes to the geometry, and are apt to produce bad topology that can be hard to modify and can easily throw render artefacts. Bryce's Booleans are render-time only and so not subject to the same problems (modo has just gained a similar function, so Bryce was ahead of the pack in this).

Good to know - So, exporting a boolean-created object from Bryce into, for example, Hex, wouldn't work?