Deformer help

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Carnite has a great deformer video/tutorial, but I need more ... lol. Thanks to her I can now manipulate a plane, but now I need to manipulate some hair that does not have a morph that suits my character's pose.

Anyone good with deformers available to give me some tips?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Carnite has a great deformer video/tutorial, but I need more ... lol. Thanks to her I can now manipulate a plane, but now I need to manipulate some hair that does not have a morph that suits my character's pose.

Yeah...for hair I've found it's usually easier to 'fake' it, by changing camera angle, followed by exporting it to Blender...and either just usng the Sculpting tools to 'force' it into shape and then using the now included CCT to turn those results back into a mesh and using that result as new morph.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Yeah...for hair I've found it's usually easier to 'fake' it, by changing camera angle, followed by exporting it to Blender...and either just usng the Sculpting tools to 'force' it into shape and then using the now included CCT to turn those results back into a mesh and using that result as new morph.

lol ... I have no experience or time to figure out blender ... lol. I figured deform would be faster. I guess I go with a hair that actually can follow the laws of gravity. Thanks, anyway :D

• carolinebegbiecarolinebegbie Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Multiple deformers? I have done "hat hair" using several.

edited December 1969

The problem with most hair, is that it's like an ogre...no, onion...made of layers...and getting the deformers to do what you want, other than making a character fit (which is usually done on the 'scullcap'/base of the hair) can be rather time consuming.

I've even had some success using Blender's cloth sim to get the layers to follow the laws of gravity...then I export a frame or two of that and pop it into MorphLoader

With DS4 collision objects and smoothing iterations can sometimes be used to hammer misbehaving hair into shape.

Not saying it can't be done with deformers, just that it's faster for me to do it in Blender.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

if I was using Ds3 i'd use the Daz free sculpt tool because it's easy for small adjustments and use the deformers for big movement. most importantly on hair, make sure you know the bone to put the deformer on- its quite often the neck bone. Clicking the bone will turn the hair invisible, so you know that's where to put the deformer. When I was starting out i'd put the deformer on the head and wondering why it had no effect on the hair.

apologies for typoes or not making sense..... I'm recovering from three days of no sleep and not quite all awake yet. Of course thats the best time to browse the forums yeah? :P

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

I use deformers on hair especially for 'hat hair'.
    It does depend on exactly what you are trying to do with which hair.

edited December 1969

I am using DS3 but have never used any script tool, before, so need help, there.

All I really want to do is move the bangs of the hair back, as if he character is looking up at something, so her hair is following gravity and flowing back instead of defying gravity and continuing to frame her face. The morphs and styles that came with the hair does not offer 'bangs blow back' as an option.

There are no bones. The hair rests in the scene as a single level prop does.

Do you need to know what hair it is?

edited December 1969

I use deformers on hair especially for 'hat hair'.
    It does depend on exactly what you are trying to do with which hair.

The hair: Adeline Hair

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=95318

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

You CAN certainly make morphs using deformers- I have done that before though its a bit consuming, and depending on how complex the hair is, needs a few to several deformers at once.

edited December 1969

You CAN certainly make morphs using deformers- I have done that before though its a bit consuming, and depending on how complex the hair is, needs a few to several deformers at once.

Well, I guess I'll use puppet warp in PS until I can learn how to deform hair. Any good tutorials other than Carnite's?

edited December 1969

Umm...I thought Carnite's was pretty much the 'definitive' one.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Umm...I thought Carnite's was pretty much the 'definitive' one.

It's great ... but it doesn't cover how she does hair ... lol. But the plain was great :D

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

They have a item Called Total Hair Control on Rendo, comes with DS versions and sets for Prop hair and Conforming hair. I use it for some renders.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    They have a item Called Total Hair Control on Rendo, comes with DS versions and sets for Prop hair and Conforming hair. I use it for some renders.

I will definitely do a search for it :D

Any product that makes my work go faster and easy is worth the money. My deadlines don't really allow time to dedicate to complex software techniques tweaks ... lol.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

In my cart! Thanks for the tip.

For those interested: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=69913