Video about Daz armour.

SweetleafSweetleaf Posts: 32
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I found this on youtube, and immediately thought 'Hey, they must have been to the store here at least once, and seen orion's and a few other P.As stores.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGh0EMmMC8

This video highlights one of the main reasons I tend not to buy a lot of 'clothing' items.

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

l am with you on this one , the high heels moment was funny and the design by her friends , high heels armor and wings lol

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Classic. I look it at as it saves me money. :) I want proper armour that has a lot of shiny bits

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That is superb. Thanks for sharing

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

Haha, I'm so sick of that argument. Would Boris and Frazetta be as popular as they were if they had painted women in plate armor? Would anyone read Red Sonja if she wore a tunic? A lot of the people who demand their female warriors wear realistic protective armor also have them fighting dragons and other fantasy creatures. :D

Plenty of us are not here for realism, we're here to buy stuff so we can make sexy renders that others will want to see. Would I prefer to wear full armor if I were going into battle, of course. Would I prefer to look at a render of a woman in a leather battle bikini over one in full armor, of course. ;)

edited December 1969

Hey no one is having a go at anyone just good old fashioned humour based on other poeples point of view. For me there is no arguement just a laugh.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

There's nothing wrong with making images using fantasy armor -- obviously the number of such products compared to more functional armor is indicative of what sells, just as the relative sales of female items vs. male or child ones does, or skimpy modern clothing vs. businesswear for women. But if you want functional armor or businesswear for females or clothing for males or children, the relative scarcity does get frustrating.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Hey no one is having a go at anyone just good old fashioned humour based on other poeples point of view. For me there is no arguement just a laugh.

Oh I know, but a lot of times I see these discussions turn into "DAZ never makes what I want" threads. I just wanted to point out that DAZ does make what a lot of us want. ;)

It may be frustrating not to find realistic armor or clothing, but what's also frustrating is actually working hard on using realistic clothing or armor in a render and then have no one look at it. Even recently I've been disappointed at how little attention anything of mine gets unless it has fighting or very scantily-clad women in it. Vendors aren't actually the only ones who have to make whatever sells, sometimes the end user needs to do the same if they want their work to be seen.

edited December 1969

I don't get worked up about things like this or even frustrated. I suppose if I was a jobbing artist I might feel differently but I have no demand for anything. I used to buy what I like and what I think I might use in the future. I am not even thinking like that any more as I have a ton of content I haven't used yet. So I promised myself to use more of what I have got for a while. :)

Christine found this amusing too and she doesn't even do this CG artistry but she understands. :)

• SweetleafSweetleaf Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Yep, it's all in fun ^_^

It's a place that sells lots of things, and if certain things aren't suitable, then people can always buy alternatives :)

I know I prefer more realistic, protective looking stuff but that's just my preference for the kind of things I want my art and everything to depict.

I bet Orion and folks get lots of sales too, because other people want other things. Variety makes the world go around, hey. :)

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I imagine Xena ruining in high heels that would be hilarious to see
    and yes original Red Sonia and Conan half naked was for the visual part and nothing have to do with functionality or reality it was pure fantasy , and fantasy allow you to do everything what you imagine .
    still the video is very funny
    before we talk always about ladies, swords and temples 3 very important factor to bring the fantasy to life ;)

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Very funny, and true! I remembered this when I looked at Mystical Touch item in the store. In the 1st promo the guy is covered from feet to neck, while the woman is only wearing some fantasy-like bikini. And that although they are both promoting - staffs... %-P Pictures of scantily clothed women simply sell more. :lol:

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Actually, with the Conan and Red Sonja stories, there was a big difference between the cover art and the armour that was described for them in the stories.

Most of the time they wore plate or chain mail armour into battle. That's true of most fantasy warrior stories.

But it's the cover art that gets the target audience to buy the book.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

In the original set of books, I think we see Conan half naked when he escapes slavers, near the beginning and then not until after he's married.\

Red Sonja...well, it's Marvel's fault for that one...come to think of it...Conan, too.

Besides, most of the women in Boris's paintings were not doing a 'warrior' type thing...they were either being rescued or casting spells. Of course, the stuff he did for Marvel was mostly fully clothed and the same with the covers for Star Trek books...but there's a large number of his paintings that feature loincloth or less clad guys fighting to keep those dangly bits from becoming ex-dangly bits, simply because they went out to fight said monster wearing whatever they slept in the night before. But then again, doing the poster for Barbarella sort of started him on the road to the 'chainmail bikini'...

As for Frank...do any of his paintings, other than movie posters, actually feature enough clothing to protect from the weather conditions/environment shown, let alone any sort of combat depicted?

edited October 2012

I have to respectfully disagree, I know for a fact that in at least the first 30 issues of Red Sonja, she wore her chainmail bikini all the time. I think they might have switched to a cropped chainmail shirt (which isn't much more protective) in recent issues.

I also have at least nine Boris pictures with warrior women (armed) wearing tiny gold pasties or bikinis.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
    edited December 1969

I have to respectfully disagree, I know for a fact that in at least the first 30 issues of Red Sonja, she wore her chainmail bikini all the time. I think they might have switched to a cropped chainmail shirt (which isn't much more protective) in recent issues.

I also have at least nine Boris pictures with warrior women (armed) wearing tiny gold pasties or bikinis.

In the books, not the Marvel comics...she was Sonya, she wore clothes/armor. Marvel did the bikini starting with issue 1...and got us teenaged guys hooked and we never looked at a warrior maiden the same way again.

9 out of how many hundreds of BV paintings? I know I don't have anywhere near a complete list, but not counting any book covers, I can think of at least 20 that the women, while scantily clad, are NOT warriors...heck, he did a whole bunch of paintings of women wearing 'why bothers' draped over dragons and other beasties (instead of Porsches. Lambourghinis and other cars) and not a one of them is very 'warrior' like.

(I know, it's a really horrible task and it will be so hard to complete, but I guess I'll just have to sit and count/categorize them...)

• AlricAlric Posts: 125
    edited October 2012

I have to respectfully disagree, I know for a fact that in at least the first 30 issues of Red Sonja, she wore her chainmail bikini all the time.

I believe that Gone was talking about the original books, not the much later comics.

Post edited by Alric on
    edited December 1969

Ah, OK. I wasn't aware there were Red Sonja books.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that fantasy skimpywear is what a woman would likely choose to wear into battle, I just get annoyed when people continue to point out how unrealistic it is, like they're telling us something we don't know. We do know, we just don't care. ;) I probably wouldn't bother making fantasy art at all if everyone was covered in steel from head to toe.

It also really doesn't matter to me how many of Boris' scantily-clad women were warriors or not because the point is that he drew what people wanted: scantily-clad women. Same reason I do, same reason all the non-realistic armor sells so well. If you want to count anything, count how many women he illustrated that were modestly dressed. That I'd be curious to know. :)

Anyway, my intention isn't to argue, this just happens to bug me like how 'elite' 3D software users looking down on Poser and Studio users bugs just about everyone around here.

edited October 2012

Not to derail a humourous thread like this but I really don't care if I get looked down on or not for doing what I enjoy. And in the same token I understand too well we all have different tastes and opinions etc which is what makes the world such an interesting place to visit. :)

Post edited by Szark on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

I'd seen that video before and had a good chuckle at it. My main inputs to this are a recollection of a set of books (I'll be whatevered if I can recall the quite famous author - it could have been Jack Chalker) where two people get zapped across dimensions into a fantasy world run by 'the rules'. Such as: any endeavour that involes 9 people will automatically become 'a quest' and that any quest requires 9 companions, one of whom will prove unstrustworthy. Along with those was the fact that any barbarian female had to wear skimpy armour, etc.
    And back in the land of the real, a young lady I once knew told a group of us that she had discovered that when wearing chainmail armour (i this case a chainmail bikini) one needed to be very, very sure that the mail was lined as it did have the propensity to 'catch' as she said. Much wincing ensued! ;)

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

As a novice vendor (since april 2012) my attitude is rather selfish :) it goes like this: 'Im gonna make what I want, if it sells well - then great, and if not ,well sod it, at least I got the content I wanted. :D

In this case I want some casual & contemporary clothes for Genesis, because I actually have zero interest in fantasy/elves/faries/Scifi/warrior princesses etc.
    Although thats what most tend to buy, It does nothing for me personally. I dont buy it, so I certainly will never make any of it either. And even if I did, many vendors do it so much better than I could, so it would be rather pointless trying to compete.

As it transpires - my casual sets so far have sold alright, probably on the basis that there is less competition in that area, if I search the store for Genesis everyday clothing, its mostly Dazos with just handful of third party vendor products.
    When I released the MK I railway carriage, I really did not expect many people to buy it, as it was very niche. When I posted a few renders in the forum - and no one replied, I was deeply concerned. But in a turn around of events, it turned out to be my best selling product to date.
    So sometimes going for the niche can really pay off.
    I guess forum intreast doesn't always accurately reflect what products people actually want.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited October 2012

As a vendor who tries to make realistic armor, or at least fantasy armor that would (for the most part) be functional as actual armor, I do find it kinda frustrating when I find out that Skimpmail, so to speak, horribly outsells my more protective choices.

But, hey, at least there IS such a choice.

Post edited by Valandar on
  • adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited October 2012

Guilty!

Although I will admit, this was done as a joke since it was the first thing I thought to do when I saw the chainmail textures in Marieah's
    Machpack, couldn't resist taking the genesis bikini (or at least the top, I think the bottom is from something else) and making a chainmail bikini.

Chainmail_Bikini_1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 182K
    Post edited by adacey on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Alric said:
    I have to respectfully disagree, I know for a fact that in at least the first 30 issues of Red Sonja, she wore her chainmail bikini all the time.

I believe that Gone was talking about the original books, not the much later comics.

Indeed, I was referring to the books. I was unaware that there was a comic for her - although I'm not surprised by it. :-)

When we talk about fantasy armour, we should always remember that the emphasis is on fantasy - not armour.

Keep in mind that most of these "armour" designs originated with book cover art and, as we all know, the point of the cover art is to attract attention to sell the book.

As the ad slogan goes - "sex sells".

It's much more interesting to see the evolution of the female character in the cover art. First it was the scantily clad "damsel in distress"; then the scantily clad partner; followed by the scantily clad lead; and now - more often - the **gasp** fully dressed lead!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    edited December 1969

Evolution of the character is a very good point. Humans, even civilized ones, seem to be constantly evolving.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    It's much more interesting to see the evolution of the female character in the cover art. First it was the scantily clad "damsel in distress"; then the scantily clad partner; followed by the scantily clad lead; and now - more often - the **gasp** fully dressed lead!

What's even funnier is to find a couple editions of the same book, with different cover art...

• AlricAlric Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    I guess forum intreast doesn't always accurately reflect what products people actually want.

That is 100% true. Keep in mind that the online represents just a small fraction (but a very vocal one) of the total number of consumers. Paying too much heed to the online stuff can get you into trouble.