Help please - download errors and new pc

michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi, I have only just started downloading stuff using my new pc. It uses wifi and we're in an area where the reception's not so good. A number of my downloads keep coming up with program incompatability errors, and some don't open up at all.
Another issue I'm having is that when I try to move some files on my external hard-drive to another folder I keep getting an error message saying the location's not available anymore, even though it is.

My new pc is a custom-built one with windows 7, 64-bit.
Can anyone advise me on what I'm doing wrong? Could the non-opening part be because of (possible) interrupted downloads?
Many thanks :)

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I don't think it is a good idea to have a filepath with three ampersands in the name, it may not cause any problems, but I wouldn't do it.

Have you looked in this folder on your E drive to make sure that it is there?

It looks like Win 7 can find it since it appears to have read the file header information, and posted it in the error message. Wyn not try a simpler folder name for your downloaded products. Create a folder called E:\My Downloads, and then drag and drop the file you want into there, and see if Win 7 can 'See' it then.

• michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
    edited December 1969

Hi, thanks for the reply (I did reply but it seems to have gotten lost somewhere in cyperspace).
    I have used the filepath setup for over a year now and it's been fine. Funnily enough, I have put the drive back in and tried again and can't seem to replicate that particular problem. Odd.
    Also, after transferring my downloads to my other non-portable external hard drive, some of the downloads now open. Others however still give the message below:

file-adding_error_Capture2.PNG
    536 x 465 - 103K
    edited December 1969

Any of the older installers do that to me as well. Windows always asks if it installed correctly, boring, but just click on yes it did install correctly and move on. It is just s silly windows thing. If it did not install correctly, that is another matter.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I agree with Jimmy that one is Win7 trying to be smart. I get it as well and just ignore it. All my content installed 100% on the first try.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies. I will have a go later and see what happens. Some of the downloads still won't open, but that may be because of my dodgy wifi. I'll try downloading them again and hopefully they'll work.
    Thanks again, appreciate the advice :)

edited December 1969

Okay, so after re-downloading files some of them open fine. However, the bitrock installer ones don't install properly. I have the picture files, but when I click on them nothing happens, nothing loads into the scene. What do I do now?
    I'm using windows 7, DS4.5.1.6

edited December 1969

mishwish said:
    Okay, so after re-downloading files some of them open fine. However, the bitrock installer ones don't install properly. I have the picture files, but when I click on them nothing happens, nothing loads into the scene. What do I do now?
    I'm using windows 7, DS4.5.1.6

I am not sure what you mean by the 'picture files', do you mean you can see the icons for loading them?

What items can you not load? There are sometimes textures as well as objects to load into a scene, but the textures wont load on their own, you must load an object first. You say the Bitrock installers don;t install properly, do you get an error message? What items are these installers for?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

What presets are you clicking on? Are they Mats, morphs etc. You need to load in the Geometry first, which will either be in the Figures or Props directory.

If you are new to daz Studio and Poser then I suggest you turn ON file extensions so you know what you are looking at. Hit F2 to open the Preferences window, go to the Content Library tab and check on the Show File Extensions.

This might help you learn what the File extensions mean.

edited October 2012

Hi, I get an error message like I put up in my second post with the bitrock installers. I can't load M4 or V4 Cheyenne clothes. I click on the icons but nothing happens. I've been using DS since March, so know my way around it pretty well by now. I have only had this problem since I got my new windows 7 pc. I had no problems with bitrock files with Vista.

Capture01.PNG
    989 x 813 - 247K
    Post edited by michellecelebrielle on
    edited December 1969

I don't think there is a problem with the instqllers, as mentioned previously, that is just something that Windows 7 does, and it does it for everybody I think.

If you turn on File Extensions as Szark suggested, we would know better what we are looking at?

Can you please either do that, or right click on the dress in the Content Library tab, and Browse to File Location to see what kind of file it is, and where it is installed to?

Have you tried dragging and dropping this itme onto Genesis? If so, are there any error messages?

edited December 1969

I've sorted it out... although I've been using DS for a while now I've only been using it for Genesis stuff, and using my Poser runtime for V4 and M4 clothes. I haven't added the Poser files to my DS-only runtime and that's causing the problem. In the words of the great Homer Simpson: Doh!

edited December 1969

OK, but turn on the file extensions in Preferences (F2), in the Content Library tab, and at least you will know if it is a CR2 (Figure) or a DS (Script) or PZ2 material you are trying to load. A lot easier.

edited December 1969

OK, but turn on the file extensions in Preferences (F2), in the Content Library tab, and at least you will know if it is a CR2 (Figure) or a DS (Script) or PZ2 material you are trying to load. A lot easier.

I've done this now, and it shows that they were only .ds files, not dsf. Thanks for that tip, by the way.

Thanks everyone

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

.ds files are not Geometry only Mats etc. So you will need to load the CR2/PP2 first then apply the .ds mats