What is the difference between intensity and intensity scale in Uber Environment2

GuptatsgGuptatsg Posts: 51
edited October 2012 in New Users

Can any one be precise in explaining

1 - The difference between Intensity and intensity scale in Uber Environment2.

2 - Max error and Max Trace distance settings and its effects in rendering

3 - is there any difference in lighting/ lights effects if i Increase the size of Uber environments (i.e., sphere size from default scale 100% to 1000% or more

tnks

Post edited by Guptatsg on

Comments

• RedHeadLilithRedHeadLilith Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

try reading Adam tutorial here
    it explain all this things

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

and http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberEnvironment

I can answer question 3. The sphere is just a visual representation it has no bearing on the light at all. So scaling will not do anything. I generally hide the sphere in the Scene Pane.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    and http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberEnvironment

I can answer question 3. The sphere is just a visual representation it has no bearing on the light at all. So scaling will not do anything. I generally hide the sphere in the Scene Pane.

thanks for the extra info Szark :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Actually when Mapped you can see where the light will be the strongest by looking at the image on the sphere. You can then rotate the sphere and have the light fall where you want.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited October 2012

Which is why I shrink the sphere down to somewhere between beach ball and soccer ball size :)

There's no way to set that as default is there?

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Which is why I shrink the sphere down to somewhere between beach ball and soccer ball size :)

Other than editing the actual files for it...no. The size of the sphere is 'hard coded' into it.

• GuptatsgGuptatsg Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

thanks very much for your replies.

read ADAM's tutorial already, but I could not find solution for my 1st point.

I could understand the "intensity" setting i.e by increasing or decreasing the % value the light intensity/strength varies.

++++

what about the ' intensity scale', by changing the % value, which lights intensity scale effected.

In omnifreaker tutorial page its Description says only ' Light intensity multiplier '

under what circumstances we should increase or decrease the value of 'intensity scale'

hope u understand my question

thanks

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,827
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Gedd said:

Other than editing the actual files for it...no. The size of the sphere is 'hard coded' into it.

No reason you shouldn't simply shrink (or remove) the sphere and save the result as a scene subset file - that's what the initial load is.

edited December 1969

I must admit the Intensity scale has alluded me, well the reason it is there has. It did some tests a while a go and to be honest from a Viewport difference I see no difference in render, as shown below. What I mean about seeing the difference in the viewport is that when you adjust the Light Intensity you see a visual difference in light in the scene. When adjusting the scale you don't see a change.

These 4 images are just made up of 3 primitives and Uber Outdoor Preset at the highest quality preset. Render quality low for quick rendering. As you can see the is no difference between the two pairs of images. I can use IrFanView to view image and I go flip back and forth and I see now change what so ever.

This is why I have no idea why it is there and have been searching for the answer for a while. :)

UberScale200Scale.jpg
    711 x 800 - 167K
    UberScale50intens.jpg
    711 x 800 - 247K
    edited December 1969

Have you tried running this tests combined with other lights, changing only the intensity scale of the light?
    I noticed that if the intensity of the light set to 45 and intensity scale set to 0% will make the render look more dark ,so in daz studio 4.5 I do see different result when changing the intensity scale .

edited December 1969

No adding another light source would deteat the purpose and not give the a clear indication on what Intensity Scale is for, that is why I didn't put another light in. Adjusting the scale won't effect other lights in the scene so I can't see it making any difference..

Also using an Intensity scale of 0% effectively turns off the light. I just tested it and it rendered totally black.

• omnifreakeromnifreaker Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Final light color = Color * Intensity * IntensityScale.

Yes, it is a little redundant, but the main reason for the adding the control was to more easily allow for intensities > 1.

edited December 1969

Thank you omnifreaker for confirming that.

My advice is anything lower than 100% intensity use the to main Intensity slider. The Intensity scale is handy when or if the need arsies to go above 100% intensity without blowing out the scene with light while building it.. ;)

• Judging by the example picture posted by Szark, it would appear that intensity and intensity scale are multiplied to give the total light intensity. Therefore swapping their values would have no apparent effect upon a render. Intensity scale is a scalar whereas intensity is a percentage. So the final light output level is likely given by the formula: total light output = lumens x (intensity/100) x intensity scale. After that its modified by a distance falloff (how sharply it drops in total output over distance) and is multiplied by the surface color of the material, the dot product between the incoming ray and the face normal etc...

Watch how quickly light output climbs when you increase intensity scale because its multiplied from what I gather. So 1.0 light intensity scale means 1.0 x the intensity percentage 0 - 200% (which translates to a value between 0 and 2.0). So a light intensity of 5.0 and an intensity of 100% would result in a 500% light intensity (5.0 x lumens). That's what I gather from using Daz and reading this great topic here ;-)