Just add subdivision...

prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
edited October 2012 in Freebies

These are some simple control meshes made in Cinema 4D.

Just add subdivision and a texture.

download all these Object files from this: shared folder

These are completely license free, you can do whatever you want with them.

...a teapot and seperate lid

Post edited by prixat on

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2012

...an airbed.

download link in first post

these are untouched renders from DS

airbed1.png
    400 x 600 - 362K
    Post edited by prixat on
    edited October 2012

...a nice mug of tea (with a meniscus!)

download link in first post

mug.png
    520 x 600 - 342K
    Post edited by prixat on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Thanks prixat, but here's what I get when I visit the link?

This item might not exist or is no longer available

This item might have been deleted, expired or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information.

edited December 1969

Thanks for letting me know.

I've re-done the link, can you try the new one?

edited December 1969

That is perfect now, thank you very much.

I just grabbed them all while I was there.

Thanks again.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Nice modelling and use of SubD. What level are these subdivided at in Daz Studio, 1?

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    ...What level are these subdivided at in Daz Studio, 1?

That's a weird thing about DS.

The 'Subdivision level' only affects the viewport display. (What Cinema 4D calls the Editor subdivision)

The 'Resolution level' seems to be what you're thinking of and what C4D calls the Render Subdivision.
    That only offers "Base" = OFF or "High" = ON.

Judging from another model I experimented with, DS has that fixed at 3 and not accessible from Parameters.

edited October 2012

In Daz Studio the resolution of the subdivision can be adjusted but the default is 1 when appling SubD. The highest at default is 2 but it can be unlocked to go higher than 2 but lets face it who would want to go higher than 2 for most things.

SubD can be adjusted from the Parameters Pane under Mesh Resolution after the SubD command has be applied so I am not sure I understand.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited October 2012

There is something not right about this SubD. If I select to SubD an item, I can change the Resolution level to 'High', and then set the Division Level to 0,1 or 2, which shows me the result in the Viewport, but it renders exactly the same no matter what Division Level I use.

So, does that mean that it always renders at the highest res possible, and the Levels are only for the OpenGL viewport display?

Also, the Scene Info pane does not reflect any changes to sub-division, it always displays the bas resolution of the mesh, no matter if I deselect and reselct the item, or even close and reopen the pane. Surely that should state the correct number of faces and verts that the object now has?

Just my thoughts, but as usual, I may be wrong ;)

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

I think I am correct in saying that subdivision occurs at render, so in the scene info pane we only see the base mesh even though we do get to see the subdidved mesh in the viewport. You can see this better by changing to Wireframe view.

And depending on the base mesh resolution you may not see much diffrence between 1 and 2 even at render.

edited December 1969

Thanks Pete, I dimly remember something in the past about this. The different res levels are shown in the viewport as you say, but it does not matter at all what the veiwport is set to, the renderer always uses the highest possible res available, i.e. Level 2.

You are correct about the the Scene info pane as well. It is not updated because SubD is a function of the render engine, and not the viewport, in much the same way as shaders are displayed, but only take on their true attributes when rendered.

Thanks again.

edited December 1969

No problem Jimmy as always. I must admit doing this job brings forward a lot of info that got pushed to the back of my mind.

edited October 2012

Sally Mae suddenly remembered.... her right leg!

In a bathtub with water and seperate material zones.

link in first post

Image removed

bathtub.jpg
    520 x 600 - 92K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited October 2012

Thank you for the models, will be interesting to play with. I just noticed you didn't attach any license information. Also, was wondering what you rendered the sample pictures in (renderer, lighting & textures.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll edit the first post and add some licence info there.

All the renders are directly (no postwork) from the latest DAZ Studio using the built-in Uberenvironment. GI bounce with a big square Area Light for the teapot and mug. For the others I replaced the Area Light with a distant light. The settings are not especially high but it still took about 40 minutes for the last one!

The last one used the free Bruuna texture on Genesis Basic Female.

The textures on the actual objects are just a few minutes of messing about with the Surfaces tab.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Very nice.. I thought it might be something like the setup you described, which shows how nice a render can be coaxed out of base DS environment with a good understanding (still working on that part myself.) ;)

edited October 2012

... a single traffic cone

link in first post:

cones.png
    700 x 484 - 487K
    Post edited by prixat on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

If DS4 is anything like DS2 & 3 then the "dials" you see for SubD are the on/off switch (Base & High res) and the viewport level, the actual render level that 3Delight uses was locked to 1, in DS2 & 3 I had the render level setting unlocked so I could adjust it myself, 0 = no SubD, 1 = default, 2 = cranked up the render times, and 3 = almost always crashed DS.

I haven't looked at the inner workings of 4 yet, if I can find the inspiration and the time I'll have a look and see what I can find.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    If DS4 is anything like DS2 & 3 then the "dials" you see for SubD are the on/off switch (Base & High res) and the viewport level, the actual render level that 3Delight uses was locked to 1, in DS2 & 3 I had the render level setting unlocked so I could adjust it myself, 0 = no SubD, 1 = default, 2 = cranked up the render times, and 3 = almost always crashed DS.

I haven't looked at the inner workings of 4 yet, if I can find the inspiration and the time I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Yep I concur and it is still the same in 4.5
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    ... a single traffic cone

link in first post:

As a Myst Online Uru Live Fan these cones make me all warm and fuzzy inside..thank you. :)
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    ...these cones make me all warm and fuzzy inside..thank you. :)

:coolsmile:

I can't seem to edit my earlier post so here's an image of the bathtub:

bathtub.png
    520 x 600 - 165K

I cant edit my old posts either.

Bathtub render...Iray?? Looks cool.

Yes, that's Iray. smiley

shiny

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,104
    edited July 2015

Thank you :)

I downloaded the bathtub

EDIT: I made a quickie render

bathtub.jpg
    1047 x 904 - 176K
    Post edited by IceCrMn on

Nice, hey is that water on a slope?!blush

I'll have to fix that.

prixat said:

Nice, hey is that water on a slope?!blush

I'll have to fix that.

yeah,,just a little bit deeper in the front than the back,,I thought it looked ok

Sorry about that, it's fixed. It took longer to find the original file (October 2012) then it did to fix it. laugh

prixat said:

Sorry about that, it's fixed. It took longer to find the original file (October 2012) then it did to fix it. laugh

yep,,looks fixed to me :),,,but I also liked the "borken" one as well.It had a "sloshing" kind of look....any way,,here is what it looks like in iray flint glass

bathtub_flint_glass.jpg
    1085 x 910 - 172K